Home
Posted By: Remington92 Budget small boreish rifle - 10/14/22
Hey there I need some recommendations for a new indoor 22 league rifle. I guess to make it more accessible and get folks interested “gopher gun” leagues have been popping up round here and I’ve been using an old 10/22 stainless carbine with cheek riser and 3-9 vx1 and been doing fair well but want to upgrade to something nicer. Rules have been fairly vague just that they can’t be small bore competition rifles and should be in the spirit of “gopher” or varmint rifles. I’m looking to be $500ish on the rifle.

So far my short list is
Ruger LVT 10/22
Bergara BXR
Ruger American predator 22

I have a pile of 10/22 mags and like the platform but would be open to cz or tikka if it’s that much of an upgrade over the Rugers. Threaded would also be nice as there’s also a rimfire suppressor in my near future too.
Don't take offense to this, but I'd just put a Kidd barrel on your 10-22..
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nuff said. That's how I'd roll. You already have the perfect platform. Spruce it up a bit.. I know you want a new rifle yada yada yada....

That is the "easy button" man..
That's how I'd roll..
Yep. Nuff said.
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Nuff said. That's how I'd roll. You already have the perfect platform. Spruce it up a bit.. I know you want a new rifle yada yada yada....

That's how I'd roll..

Oh no no offense taken I’d thought about tricking out my 10/22 but it was a gift from an old family friend so I prefer to leave it relatively how he gave it to me. I local gun show had a littermate to it that I almost picked up for a build platform but talked myself out of it.
Originally Posted by Remington92
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That's how I'd roll..

Oh no no offense taken I’d thought about tricking out my 10/22 but it was a gift from an old family friend so I prefer to leave it relatively how he gave it to me. I local gun show had a littermate to it that I almost picked up for a build platform but talked myself out of it.

Ok, that makes sense. So, a rifle on a budget then and a $500 limit.. Dang, I thought I had the easy solution, ha ha.. For an off the shelf semi auto that is fairly accurate, I'd look at the Savage A22.. Get one with the nicer laminate wood stock, vs the cheap plastic one. The Bergara BXR is also a nice rifle, however I do not know how well they shoot. Also, don't overlook the Savage MK2 bolt action. They tend to shoot lights out. If you can find a Thompson center TCR/10-22 clone, they shoot surprisingly well. The Tikka's are known shooters too. The old guys at my club tend to shoot older rifles, so I'm not much help. I know the old Mossbergs shoot lights out, as do the Savage/Anschutz, and the Kimber 82 targets, older winchester 69's and sometimes 75's can be had for around your price point. Sounds like you are wanting to buy new though. For a very lightweight rifle that uses the 10-22 magazine, the Christensen Arms Ranger is a great shooter. They have had their issues though. Good luck with your search..
Oh no worries I knew it was a semi loaded question. There’s not enough money on the line or budget to go too wild on a rifle. But I was hoping to be all in on rifle and scope for 700-800ish. Any reason to avoid the new Ruger rifles either bolt or auto? I had a newer m1 carbine clone 10/22 a while back that was a jamomatic but figured I just got a lemon. Also did not like the plastic trigger group I swear that’s where half its problems stemmed from. I was also thinking Ruger based from upgradeability down the road. I’ve got an eye out locally for a classic older rimfire too that fits more the varmint/ target style without getting too close to small bore competition rifle. I thought about a Ruger precision rimfire as I have one in 17 that’s a tack driver but the chassis system suits me better for shooting off a mirror and not as much shooting freehand or kneeling.
Posted By: drover Re: Budget small boreish rifle - 10/14/22
Believe me the Tikka T1x is a huge leap forward over the Rugers. Not only that but for about $15 you can get a vertical handgrip, a trigger spring for making weight of pull lighter can be had for $10 and you are ready to go. Oh yeah, it is threaded from the factory.

I have had three of the Ruger American Rimfires and they varied a bit in accuracy but even the best one was only a 3/4" rifle for 5 shots at 50 yds , even match ammo did not make a noticable difference. I have owned two Tikka T1x, both in 22 LR and they are consistently sub 1/2" for 5 shot groups at 50 yards with practically any ammo. For practice I just use CCI S/V and it shoots well at only $3.99 per box.

You did not mention the distance you are shooting at but since it is an indoor league I am guessing it is a fairly short range. If so perhaps you are likely dealing with a lot of parallax issues with your scope since the VX-1 is usually adjusted to be parallax free at 125 yds or so. Try finding a position that your head position is repeatable to mitigate parallax movement.

Sounds fun -

drover
Originally Posted by drover
Believe me the Tikka T1x is a huge leap forward over the Rugers. Not only that but for about $15 you can get a vertical handgrip, a trigger spring for making weight of pull lighter can be had for $10 and you are ready to go. Oh yeah, it is threaded from the factory.

I have had three of the Ruger American Rimfires and they varied a bit in accuracy but even the best one was only a 3/4" rifle for 5 shots at 50 yds , even match ammo did not make a noticable difference. I have owned two Tikka T1x, both in 22 LR and they are consistently sub 1/2" for 5 shot groups at 50 yards with practically any ammo. For practice I just use CCI S/V and it shoots well at only $3.99 per box.

You did not mention the distance you are shooting at but since it is an indoor league I am guessing it is a fairly short range. If so perhaps you are likely dealing with a lot of parallax issues with your scope since the VX-1 is usually adjusted to be parallax free at 125 yds or so. Try finding a position that your head position is repeatable to mitigate parallax movement.

Sounds fun -

drover

Ya were at a max of 50’ indoors. I know the old vx1 wasn’t ideal but it’s was what I had and the little 4x Burris that was originally on it wasn’t quite enough shooting mini silhouettes at that range for my eyes. Surprised the hell out of me how well the little combo has held up for me though. Any recommendations for an upgrade for short range parallax scopes? I’ll have to check out the tikka. I’ve seen them in stores a few times and went down to buy one in 17 when I got the RPR for a screaming deal instead.
Savage 93R or MK2 gets my vote. Cheap, already has a fantastic trigger, and very accurate with a bull barrel.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Budget small boreish rifle - 10/14/22
The Bergara would be a good pick. CZ and Tikka are both big improvements over the Ruger Americans in my experience. I've owned two LVT's and both were accurate rifles, but not quite in the CZ accuracy and the stock trigger were far behind the CZ 457's making them hard to squeeze out their true accuracy potential.
A good trigger and a proper scope for shooting at short range might make all the difference for your present rifle. The trigger would just drop in (and out if you want to restore the rifle to its original form). A SWFA 6x will focus down to 10yards. $300. Would work equally well on a new Tikka, CZ etc.
Posted By: drover Re: Budget small boreish rifle - 10/14/22
Originally Posted by Remington92
Originally Posted by drover

Sounds fun -

drover

Ya were at a max of 50’ indoors. I know the old vx1 wasn’t ideal but it’s was what I had and the little 4x Burris that was originally on it wasn’t quite enough shooting mini silhouettes at that range for my eyes. Surprised the hell out of me how well the little combo has held up for me though. Any recommendations for an upgrade for short range parallax scopes? I’ll have to check out the tikka. I’ve seen them in stores a few times and went down to buy one in 17 when I got the RPR for a screaming deal instead.

For what you are doing it does not require an expensive scope just one that will get rid of the parallax and a reasonably good image should work just fine.

Seafire has mentioned an inexpensive Bushnell with AO a few times, perhaps he will chime in on this.

Check with camerland to see if they have any recommendations for scopes that will adjust down to 50 ft at a reasonable price point, also take a look at some air rifle specific scopes since they usually focus down to meters which should work for you.

drover
Lots of scopes that focus down to short distances- Hawke, Athlon, EFR Leupolds, and a bunch of others. Doug and Jeff at Cameraland can help you out and give you a great deal in the process...
Originally Posted by Pappy348
A good trigger and a proper scope for shooting at short range might make all the difference for your present rifle. The trigger would just drop in (and out if you want to restore the rifle to its original form). A SWFA 6x will focus down to 10yards. $300. Would work equally well on a new Tikka, CZ etc.

9 times out of 10, factory Ruger 10-22's (like what the op has) only shoot mediocre. At best. Every once in a while you'll get a tack driver, but that is not the norm. I'm talking about competition style shooting. For plinking cans and shooting jackrabbits, they are good enough. There is an awful lot of internet "hype" on them. I've had enough, that I know. Even their target models with the "cold hammer forged" barrels don't shoot all too well. Definitely not in the realm of the Kidd barrel I posted pics of earlier. The last guy I had an argument about this at the range was a blow hard that didn't know wtf he was talking about. He said, just about every 10-22 he's ever had was "1/2" right out of the box".. I told him, we shoot 10 shots per target and shoot for score. Group size isn't really the concern, as long as you can keep them in the x-ring. I told him to prove it with his customized heavy barreled Ruger 10-22. Just like I thought. Way off the x-ring and about a 1 1/2" group at 50 yards... Some guys are slow learners.. I told him, a lot of us shoot 10-22's here. We know what they can and can't do.
The new 10/22 LVT has better accuracy than the old 10/22 target. Drop in the $25 Volquartsen kit for a gopher trigger. Athlon Neos 4-12x40 with adjustment down to 10yd or Talos 3-12x40 with adjustment down to 15yd and better glass/eye relief. Both scopes can be had with the clean centerX reticle. This should put you in the $500 range.

You could call CPC about working your old 10/22 into a shooter.
Which is why I mentioned the Tikka and CZ. He doesn’t want to do anything extreme to his present one it seems, so the trigger and scope would help him get the most out of it .

If he really likes what he’s doing, he’ll go all-out eventually anyway, even if he has to sell the baby’s shoes…..
Posted By: EdM Re: Budget small boreish rifle - 10/15/22
I second the barrel swap on your 10-22, mine is a Green Mountain, and a VQ target hammer. Just five shot fifty yard groups on its first outing.

Posted By: PennDog Re: Budget small boreish rifle - 10/15/22
T/C’s Benchmark is an option just be aware of the chamber/extractor issues prior to purchase - if this is accounted for these rifles are exceptional shooters and can still be had for reasonable $$. The other options suggested here are excellent though!!

PennDog
So this is also kind of a loaded question but if I wanted to stay in a semi auto whats my best option? I’m pretty partial to getting into a solid stance and not breaking it down after each shot. Seems to remove a bit of repeatability errors in form. Would I be better off finding an old pawn shop 10/22 and sending it off to someone like cpc?
Originally Posted by PennDog
T/C’s Benchmark is an option just be aware of the chamber/extractor issues prior to purchase - if this is accounted for these rifles are exceptional shooters and can still be had for reasonable $$. The other options suggested here are excellent though!!

PennDog
Shop for magazines before buying the rifle.
Posted By: drover Re: Budget small boreish rifle - 10/15/22
It seems that the equipment race is getting started.
In the original post it was said that - "Rules have been fairly vague just that they can’t be small bore competition rifles and should be in the spirit of “gopher” or varmint rifles."

It seems to me that building a custom 10/22 with an aftermarket barrel that the equipment race is already starting. Is that truly in the "spirit" of what the match is intended for, or is just supposed to be a group of guys with similar equipment having fun.

I shoot gophers with my Cooper sporter and a 6-18 X scope would I be welcome to bring my gopher rifle? I think not.
If I were going to shoot this type of match to keep in the spirit of it I would bring my Tikka T1X with a more common hunting type scope and have fun and not being discouraged people because of my equipment.

The "good old" boys will quickly be discouraged when it starrs turning into a money game rather than a - "bring your gopher 22 and lets have some fun".

I have seen more than one of these types of matches fail because of people not wanting to get caught up in the dollars game.

drover
@drover can you clarify how a Tikka T1x is better than a CPC 10/22 in a “dollar game” match? My CPC cost less than the T1x and is one I use for pests. CPC is making the most of what Ruger provided. Swapping a match barrel and trigger is not a gopher gun, I agree.
Posted By: drover Re: Budget small boreish rifle - 10/16/22
Originally Posted by 24HourCampFireGuy50
Swapping a match barrel and trigger is not a gopher gun, I agree.

That was the point of my post - it can easily become an equipment race rather than being a fun match competing with off the shelf gopher guns. The OP mentioned in the "and should be in the spirit of “gopher” or varmint rifles" Now admittedly that is a pretty broad criteria but I will bet you as soon as someone shows up with a modified rifle and starts winning consistently most other shooters will drop out.

Keep an even playing field or soon all of the players will be gone.

drover
for a semi-auto consider the Armscor TM22-20. I bought one a couple weeks ago. 2.5# trigger pull as measured with dead weight pull gage, but has a long sear break. Comes with 2 metal 10 round mags. Better trigger than most (all) 10/22s I've shot that did not have trigger work done.

Mounted a Burris FFII 4.5-14x42 that I had on shelf in SS medium height rings. I did remove bbl to polish with JB and clean bore before 1st shots. Broke in with CCI 40gr mini mags, then switched to SK Semi Auto ammo. This rifle likes the SK best, 5/8" 5 shot at 50yd best group off bipod.

https://www.armscor.com/firearms-list/tm22-a-20

Ordered from LGS, $336 out the door. GB has them listed a bit lower priced, but I prefer to support the LGS. Also, after watching several utube vids early Armscore TM22 samples given to dealers and reviewers had 5/8-24 muzzle threads. This was changed to 1/2-28 later. I ordered from LGS as I believed I'd be more likely to get newer current production. Disclaimer: this gun is made by the Turks, imported by Armscor.

Here is a guy shooting a TM22
CZ 457 at Sportsman's Warehouse for $350.
Pay CPC to tune your 10/22 after you add a higher grade barrel in a length and contour that you prefer and a stock that fits you better?
Well I’ll probably regret it but I caved and went the LVT route. Picked up a stainless model cheap enough I could send it off to cpc and still be cheaper than a tikka or cz varmint.

Now for optics.

Is 10x swfa best bang for the buck from 10m to stretching the legs fun? Or better off going 6x or 12x or another optic entirely? Also Would a 20moa rail be a decent compromise to be able to zero close for league and stretch legs for fun?
Hmmm these look promising

https://www.arkenopticsusa.com/epl4-4-16x44-ffp-mil-vhr
If you want to stretch the legs, the Arken 34mm models have enough internal to getcha to 500 on a 25 moa base, .22lr....

and they're $299.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
If you want to stretch the legs, the Arken 34mm models have enough internal to getcha to 500 on a 25 moa base, .22lr....

and they're $299.

I looked those over but the weight was more than I want to deal with shooting offhand unsupported. Looks great for a bench rifle
JFC, ya ain't gonna be shooting a rimfire at 500 yards offhand.....
prolly best to just stick to the 10x swfa.
Leave the can off and you can keep the price low. Well, until you realize all the fun you can have with extra barrels.

Originally Posted by huntsman22
JFC, ya ain't gonna be shooting a rimfire at 500 yards offhand.....

Oh no I understand, I can’t remember if I said or not but the league I’m in is 10m or 50’ 3 position unsupported. I just want to be able to stretch the legs for fun when not doing that or if I wanted to try base class NRL22
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Leave the can off and you can keep the price low. Well, until you realize all the fun you can have with extra barrels.

That’s awesome and a can is definitely on the list. I need to get one ordered so maybe I’d have it for next winter league 🤦🏻‍♂️
FWIW, the barrel on that one came from Bullberry with a 15” twist, no taper, match grade Douglas, 19" long. The target was shot at 50 yds. Leupold 2.5x scope. Have not shot a single HV round with it, and it seems reasonably content with CCI SV or any European match ammo.
Anyone have experience with the athlon Midas tac 6-24?
Well got it all finished up and pretty happy with the overall looks of the package. Hopefully it shoots well when league fires up here in a few weeks! Also like to take a stab at NLR22 base class too

© 24hourcampfire