Home
I have always wanted a vintage 22 lr for my personal collection something that I can take out a plink with every now and then and then clean and put back into the safe. My problem is that I am torn between the Winchester 9422 and the marlin model 39. In a perfect world I would get both but my budget allows for just one. I was wondering if I could get some feedback and opinions from people here.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/26/23
I've had both, traded the Winchester and kept the Marlin.
Can I ask why? And what model of the 39 do you have?
How about a browning BL-22? They are sweet little levers
Posted By: waterrat Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/26/23
I gave my 9422mag to my nephew,,the Marlin 39 with a Leupold 2.5X is a superb yard gun!!!
Posted By: Sheister Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/26/23
it would be hard to go wrong with either the 9422 or the Marlin 39/39A... I have a Win 9422 and it is just about as much fun as you can have with a 22 IMO. The Marlin 39 is also a bunch of fun but a heavier rifle by a bit and feels more like a full size hunting rifle to me. Both are very accurate, reliable, and just plain easy to use and shoot quickly if that is what you are after... to me, I would take either one but prefer the 9422 because they are just better finished- wood and metal
I'm a Marlin guy.
I'd go with the 39A due to the side eject and solid receiver top.
The BLR mentioned above is also a very nice 22LR levergun.
Posted By: Gibby Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/26/23
Buy either one right now. Save up for the other one later. I'd start with the Winchester.
Posted By: ring3 Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/26/23
Like both very much for looking at. Prefer the 39a for shooting. Not necessarily because it’s inherently more accurate, just a better fit for me. Remember it being tough getting my cheek on the comb of the Winchester’s to get a comfortable sight picture. It’s been many years since I shot one, just my recollection. As an aside, I recall having the same issue with a Remington 572.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/26/23
I think that the Marlin 39 is the best lever action rimfire rifle that has been offered during my lifetime, but I prefer pistol grip stocks to straight grip stocks, and only a few Winchesters were made with pistol grip stocks.

I have an Erma 971, but only because it was one of those too cheap not to buy things.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/26/23
Originally Posted by Sheister
it would be hard to go wrong with either the 9422 or the Marlin 39/39A... I have a Win 9422 and it is just about as much fun as you can have with a 22 IMO. The Marlin 39 is also a bunch of fun but a heavier rifle by a bit and feels more like a full size hunting rifle to me. Both are very accurate, reliable, and just plain easy to use and shoot quickly if that is what you are after... to me, I would take either one but prefer the 9422 because they are just better finished- wood and metal

This, and by examples I had, by a good bit. Better trigger too.
How about a Henry, have a 9422, 39A and a Henry, the Henry is far more accurate than the other two
Posted By: GF1 Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/27/23
I bought the first M9422 I saw in 1976, great gun that I should have kept.

Having said that, I like the 39A better. It feels better in my hands, is a classic in its own right for longevity in production, for good reasons.
Well thanks for all of the great feedback I appreciate it.
Posted By: MOGC Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/27/23
Nobody can decide for you. There are three excellent choices, Marlin, Winchester, and Browning. Go handle them all and buy the one that you fall for.
Posted By: 22magnut Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/27/23
They are both very good rifles see which one fits you better and go with that one and you cant go wrong. I have had booth and still have the 9422.Also have the 9422M.
Posted By: killerv Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/27/23
Don't forget about the BL22, action like glass, a little lighter and faster to plink with.
Posted By: DJR Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/30/23
Can't imagine anybody being disappointed with either choice. I have a couple of the Marlins and would have a couple more if I ever came across an M and/or a D model. Lots of love out there for the 9422 and I wish I'd acquired one when they were everywhere.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: 700LH Re: Lever action 22 question - 10/31/23
Marlin 39 production lasted over 100 years, Winchester 9422 just over 30
Posted By: boatammo Re: Lever action 22 question - 11/01/23
I've had both, still have the 39. IMO best 22 lever action ever. Bought new in 1969 and it's a mountie.
My 39A was no gem in the accuracy dept. and was kinda big and heavy for a .22 so it went down the road. It got replaced by a BL-22 which is more like it size/weight wise and it's more accurate to boot.
The little Henry H001 is a great gun for the price but you said vintage. The Marlin would be my choice.
Posted By: Mwbyler Re: Lever action 22 question - 11/01/23
I have both, a 9422 and 3 39a's like my Marlins better, 9422 doesn't seem as well built but that's just my opinion, all are as accurate as I can make them.
There are 22 rifles built like 22 rifles,kinda cheap and lightweight,but then there is the Marlin 39A.The Marlin 39A has been around for many years.It has the feel of a streamlined Marlin 336.Your not going to find a bunch of plastic and cast aluminum parts in these rifles,they are made of steel and built to last a lifetime and more.I bought my 39A in 1975.I knew it was very accurate with open sights,but in my later years I put a scope on it.I was aiming and hitting bullet holes with it.It is by far the most accurate 22 rifle I own.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Lever action 22 question - 11/01/23
Gotta chime in here.

I have several Marlins , including Mounties, and older pre-39's . Nice rifles and shoot Ok .

I have more 9422's , in .17HMR, .22 Mag - 7 altogether. Have 1 Browning Octagon BBl, had 2 of these ,gave 1 away.

As you can imagine I like 'em all. My favorite would be the 9422, 9417's.
Posted By: bcp Re: Lever action 22 question - 11/04/23
Still have two 39's, a Century and a TDS. And a 9422 Magnum.

Marlin made many different styles of 39. They handle very differently. I've seen 39A's with different barrel diameters, too.

Bruce
Had a Golden A when I was young. Regret trading it off in my 20's. Very accurate. Can still smell the Hoppe's...
Posted By: mart Re: Lever action 22 question - 11/04/23
I've had both. I traded into a 9422 40 years ago and liked it but at the time I was all about fast varmint rifles and it went away, traded off for a varmint rifle. About 10 years ago I found a Marlin 39 in a pawn shop. They must have bought it out of a collection that had set for a long time. There was a thick coating of dust all over it. They had a ridiculous price on it at the time. I offered them $350 and said I'd take care of cleaning it. They took it. It has been a great shooter and a lot of fun.

I loaded it up with CB caps, 21 of them I believe, and set about still hunting a bunch a feral rabbits at a friends house. The neighbors had turned a bunch loose when the moved and they decided they liked my friend's place. They were eating a lot of their alfalfa hay. I killed 11 that day. And had ball. Over the course of several days I killed a couple dozen with various guns. The most fun was with a 32 caliber flintlock. But I digress.

I like the Marlin a little better than the Winchester for the same reason mentioned by others. It has a pistol grip stock and I prefer that over the straight Winchester stock.
I like them all! One advantage of the 9422 is ease of takedown for cleaning, and reassembly is just as easy.

They all feel different, andwhich feels best to you is subjective!
These 3 fulfill all my needs in 22 lever guns......BL-22 octagon.......Marlin 1897T octagon(39)..........Winchester 9422.
Posted By: hikerbum Re: Lever action 22 question - 12/09/23
Likely be selling a Henry 22 LNIB in the near future. Fantastic gun, have a couple, just thinking of cleaning things out.
Posted By: Razorhog Re: Lever action 22 question - 12/09/23
I'm a Browning BL-22 fan! Very handy!
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Lever action 22 question - 12/09/23
I am fortunate to have a Marlin 1897 CB .22 LR.......love that rifle!

Frog---OUT!
Posted By: pete53 Re: Lever action 22 question - 12/09/23
i own around 5-6 different brand 22 LR brand lever rifles including Henrys , son and myself have 3- 39A Marlin levers they are by far the best lever ever made and dang fun to use .
© 24hourcampfire