Home
Posted By: STRSWilson 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/08/23
Anyone drill their 10/22 receiver to accomodate a cleaning rod? Positive / Negative

I hate cleaning them from the muzzle and I absolutely will not use a bore snake.
Posted By: superlight17b Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/08/23
I think Brownells has a jig for doing just that.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/08/23
I've seen a couple of jigs for doing so, just not sure it is a good thing. Concerned about blowback as I shoot suppressed from time to time.
Posted By: drover Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/08/23
Originally Posted by STRSWilson
Anyone drill their 10/22 receiver to accomodate a cleaning rod? Positive / Negative

I hate cleaning them from the muzzle and I absolutely will not use a bore snake.

I cannot see the point of doing it, it requires removing the rifle from the stock and the bolt from the rifle.

I don't understand your aversion to using a boresnake, I have used one on 10/22's for years and do not see any detrimental effects from it.

drover
Posted By: 338reddog Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/08/23
I did it to my first one. I also bead blasted the action and put a new barrel and stock. I use a soft buffer pin and wish I had not drilled it. I worry it may crack one day. I bet I only have shot it maybe 10,000 rounds.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/09/23
I had it done to both of mine. Both have tight chambers and I wanted to be able to brush them out if needed.

Who ever cleans the bore on a 10-22?

I asked my gunsmith if he had a jig for this purpose and all he said was "Hell no. I've got a milling machine and I know how to measure"

I guess it was a stupid question anyway
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/09/23
Originally Posted by drover

I cannot see the point of doing it, it requires removing the rifle from the stock and the bolt from the rifle.

I don't understand your aversion to using a boresnake, I have used one on 10/22's for years and do not see any detrimental effects from it.

drover

I agree. I use an otis though..
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/09/23
CPC will do it for free if you send them your 10/22 to be tuned.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/09/23
I use a bristled pipe cleaner to swab out the chamber of my CSC, which definitely needs it from time to time. Drip a bit of the CLP of your choice on it, bend it a bit, and wipey wipey.
Posted By: Muffin Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/09/23
I drill a hole in all of mine, no jig is needed..............

Not just for cleaning, lets you boresight too!

I also alter the bolt lock so all you need to do is pull the bolt back and release.....
Posted By: EdM Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/09/23
Originally Posted by Pappy348
I use a bristled pipe cleaner to swab out the chamber of my CSC, which definitely needs it from time to time. Drip a bit of the CLP of your choice on it, bend it a bit, and wipey wipey.

This for my not bolt action rimfires. I have also used a bent a bore brush as suggested by a forum member.
Originally Posted by drover

drover
Switching to a 11/22 receiver avoids removing the stock if your stock is lower than the rod hole. Buying a 10/22 takedown avoids any action stripping, just twist off and shove a rod through.
Posted By: pullit Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/13/23
I did mine, but I have a couple of lathes and a mill so it was no big deal.
Posted By: Muffin Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/13/23
Originally Posted by pullit
I did mine, but I have a couple of lathes and a mill so it was no big deal.

I did one two days ago, with a cleaning rod, a pair of calipers, and a hand drill............ I think that was number 5... also modified the bolt lock while I had the trigger group out..
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/13/23
For those who have done this, is there any concern about blowback through the new receiver window?
For those who have done this, is there any concern about blowback through the new receiver window?

I haven't found it to be a problem or even noticeable that there is an extra hole.....
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/13/23
I have like 7 different 10/22 all have been drilled. No issues what so ever. I anal about cleaning so complete dismantal isn't and issue for me.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/13/23

I don't get how there could be any "blowback" through a quarter inch hole that would be blocked by a recoiling bolt on the inside and whatever kind of stock material on the outside.

Please explain
Posted By: pullit Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/13/23
In order for blow back to happen, it would have to get past the bolt, thru the hole, and then up between the stock and the receiver. The hole is below the stock line and can not be seen when the gun is assembled.
To be honest, I did it just because I could and didn't cost me anything. If I really need to scrub the barrel out good, it would be just about as easy to remove the barrel, put it in a padded vise and use a guide to clean it.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/13/23
Originally Posted by Kenlguy

I don't get how there could be any "blowback" through a quarter inch hole that would be blocked by a recoiling bolt on the inside and whatever kind of stock material on the outside.

Please explain

I'm shooting suppressed...

That's also why I am interested in making cleaning easier...
Most of mine are shot suppressed, not an issue....
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/14/23
Did it about 24 years ago. Not difficult, no problems and a good path for proper cleaning.
Posted By: STRSWilson Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/14/23
Thanks!
Posted By: MOGC Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/14/23
Ruger does it at the factory on the Custom Shop Competition rifle. If there was any hazard I doubt it would be done from their factory.
Posted By: J71248 Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/16/23
No way in the world would I drill one. I have several non Ruger receivers that came with holes. Never used them to clean not once.
Posted By: passport Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/20/23
I drill a cleaning rod hole in mine. Just eyeball it. They work great.
Posted By: thomasconnor Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/21/23
On Rimfirecentral they have a loaner jig for the cost of shipping...Tom
Posted By: Traveler52 Re: 10/22 Receiver Mod - 11/22/23
3/4" from the top and center from side to side simple
© 24hourcampfire