Home
Posted By: LongRanger Weaver N Mounts - 12/29/09
Just checking to see if any of you have any information on the old Weaver "N" mounts for older rimfires that were drilled and tapped with four holes on the left side of the receiver. I have an old Springfield (Savage) .22 that I would like to scope. I am not sure if these mounts were specific to certain rifles. I see a few offered for sale as N-1, N-2, or N-3, etc. but don't know what the differences are. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Posted By: mad_dog Re: Weaver N Mounts - 12/29/09
The numbers relate to the height of the mount.

N-1 being the lowest, N-5 being the highest.
Posted By: LongRanger Re: Weaver N Mounts - 12/29/09
Thanks. I spent some time on Gunbroker this AM and found a listing for a N-5 mount. I noticed that it was set up for a straight sided receiver instead of a round receiver.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Weaver N Mounts - 12/29/09
I have some old Shooter's Bibles that have the "Type N Mounts" listed.

On page 375 of the 1963 edition, #54, the N1, N2, and N5 are listed as low and the N3, N4, and N5 are listed as high.

If you post the make and model, I can tell what is shown on this list as the correct N-mount. The N-mounts were made for both 3/4" and 7/8" scopes, but there doesn't appear to be any way to differentiate between the 2.

Good luck!

Jeff
Posted By: LongRanger Re: Weaver N Mounts - 12/30/09
Jeff, the rifle in question is a Springfield Model 86 made by Savage. Thanks for the help.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Weaver N Mounts - 12/31/09
According to the Weaver base chart on page 275 of the 1963 Shooter's Bible, a Stevens-Springfield 86 would us the following bases:

2-piece top mount; #12 rear and #13 front
1-piece side mount; #2
N-mount; N2 low and N3 high

Jeff
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: Weaver N Mounts - 01/02/10
Hey Jeff, I've got a J. Stevens Springfield 84C- and am curious what sidemount scope set up is required and where I would get one?
Posted By: LongRanger Re: Weaver N Mounts - 01/04/10
Jeff,
Thanks for the help.
LongRanger
Posted By: Swampman700 Re: Weaver N Mounts - 01/08/10
Anyone know which N Mount fit the 39A
Posted By: ajHilgy Re: Weaver N Mounts - 01/09/10
Gentlemen: I have a Remington model 12 pump .22LR that my Dad put a Weaver B model scope on using the Weaver N mount (back in the '50's). The rifle now has 4 large holes in the side of the receiver and the value has been ruined. This rifle is pushing the century mark. I would be very careful about using those old mounts. The scopes suck compared to the newer 3/4" and better yet 1" scopes. Most are cloudy now and need to be rebuilt anyway. Do some investigation first.
Posted By: 21 Re: Weaver N Mounts - 01/09/10
I posted around a while back to see if any were ever made for 1" scopes. If you have the misfortune to have a perfectly nice rifle ruined by drilling the receiver at least it would be nice to put a decent scope on it now. Anyone know of a 1" n5 that anyone has made? And yes, the 3/4" scopes were'nt worth the powder to blow them to h*** when they were new.
© 24hourcampfire