Home
Well, any thoughts on these? I'm in the market for a new rimfire rifle. At first it was going to be a CZ 452 and I only needed to pick out which caliber and style. But, now I'm thinking about a few models and the Ruger 77/17 seems to have my attention at the moment. I don't current own a .17HMR and it sounds like fun. It's a little more than a CZ but after you subtract the cost of a set of good rings they really aren't that far apart price wise.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Terry
Terry..

You may not like what I am about to say, but my answer is two extremes..

Given your level of taste as a rifleman, I think you should sell a gun or two and pony up the $$$ for a Cooper m57. It will shoot really well(it's gauranteed to) and the overall styling and quality level will be so close to your custom centerfire rigs you will be right at home..

When you rell thik about it, the MOST EXPENSIVE rifle one should own is the ONE THEY SHOOT THE MOST, since you will get the most value for the money .. For most any rifleman- that is a 22LR.

Now as to the 17HMR. I have owned and extensively shot the MArlins Savages CZs and the Rugers over the last 8 years..

Frankly, once the barrels are broke in properly the Marlins have shot more consistently acrros the board than any of them(under 1 MOA with the loads they like).

They seem to have VERY good barrels on them. The CZ and Savge rifles are a bit more inconsistent with how they shoot in the 17HMR and the Rugers have been dead last. I have seen tuned 17V Marlins that would shoot Cooper sized test target groups on demand at 50 yards.

I would get a blued $200 Marlin 917V and a brick of Hornady V max ammo. For about $300 ,you can try out the 17HMR (which is not for everybody).. if you don't like it, you will not have lost much..
Hi Jim, comments good and bad are appreciated!

Thanks for your's. Food for thought for sure.

Terry
I have had CZ's and now have two 77/22's. Both have pro's and cons.

CZ's Pro's. They are accurate most of the time right out of the box. Trigger is ok but can be made better.

Cons: bedding them is kind of a pain, but I do feel they shot better after the fact.
The extra mags are very $$$ and only hold approx 5 shells. Hard to find many extra's (i.e. stocks, barrels, mags, etc)

77/22 Pro's: They are accurate (not quite as good as the CZ) out of the box but can be made way better with a little work. They are easy to bed and they have great mags (that hold 9 or 10 rounds) Extra parts are easy to find.

Cons: The triggers suck but with just a little work and a spring change, I was able to go from 8lbs to about 1lb.

I have to agree with Jim, I have also had a Marlin and after about 300 rounds it will shoot with any of them. I did have to go to a Rifle Basix trigger to get a good trigger on it.
If I were buying a Ruger, I would go with the target version( vbz) I put VQ sears and springs in mine -the cheap 10 rd mags are a plus, weight and feel are more like a big rifle too. but while very accurate- my CZ's are just a little better and consistant. but I like them both
Hmmm I have Kimbers, Win52B on the high end and a 77/22 and a 10/22 on the low end. The 77/22 is a older stainless boat stock model. I had the trigger worked over and 9 times out of ten it is the one I grab to shoot. It sports a 2x7C Leupold and it loves the cheap bulk Federal hp ammo.

Don't own a 17 and won't. Not a fan.
TC1: Your instincts are right on!
Go with the Ruger 77/17 V/T (the heavy barrel 17 HMR model)!
I own one and its in the top three most accurate rimfire Rifles I have ever owned!
And I have owned several Anschutz rimfires, along with Winchester 52's, Winchester Target 75"s (I still own two of these), Remington 40X's, Kimber heavy barrel models and tricked out Ruger 10/22's just to name some of them!
Not only have all the Ruger 77/17 V/T's I have seen been especially accurate the 17 HMR is by far the best rimfire round out there for longer range accuracy and for Varmint and small game Hunting!
I am dealing right now on another used Ruger 77/17 V/T for my arsenal in fact.
The fit, feel and function of my Ruger 77/17 is nothing less than perfect!
The 9 round rotary magazines are a joy to use and don't "hang down" like many other rimfire magazines DO!
And of course the Ruger 77/17's safety works correctly (forward is fire) unlike the bassackwards CZ models!
That fact alone has kept me from ever even considering buying one of the CZ's!
Go with the Ruger 77/17 for accuracy and lethality up to and including Coyotes and Badgers!
And like you mentioned the rings are included with the Ruger 77/17.
Best of luck with whichever you choose.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Have an Anschutz 64 MP R and a Ruger 77/22. It's a toss up on which I might use on a given day. Both are ammo specific. The Anschutz came out of the box doing well.

I had to shim the bolt, stone the sear, and grind a bit off each end of the trigger spring on the 77. Didn't need any different parts at all, and it's around a 1 lb trigger. One of the easiest triggers out there to rework. The shim (mine was about 0.007 in) simply rectified a slight headspace issue. Love the smooth lines the integrated magazine gives to the Rugers.

With no wind around, I can consistently take Beldings ground squirrels out to about 140 yds with either unit.
Terry,
I love the .17 HMR and I own a Cooper and a CZ (european style). The CZ was about $350 when I bought it and the Cooper was about $1200. I love them both - the CZ is a light barrelled rifle compared to the Cooper, but still shoots right with the more expensive rife. I have owned a 77/22 in .22 and it was a nice rifle; however, it is gone and the CZ 22s that I have are still with me.......that tells alot.

John
Posted By: DavidValdina Ruger 77/17 - 03/11/10
I own two CZ .22 and have Rifle Basix triggers in each of them. Both shoot well. I have a Ruger 77/17 which I sent to randy at Connecticut Precision for his accurizing magic. I shoots well. I think you will be happy with either, both excellent rifles. Also, I used to own a Ruger 77/22mag. and it was stock out of the box, and shot well. But the .22 rimfire Match ammo and the .17 HMR ammo is probably more accurate than .22 mag ammo.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Ruger 77/17 - 03/13/10
I've been in the market for a low cost 77/22 in 22 Long rifle for quite a while.. they are just hard to find..which tells ya something.

I have a heavy barrel in 17 HMR and a sporter barreled one in 22 Mag... both are excellent accurate shooters..
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: Ruger 77/17 - 03/13/10
Not a bad choice either way here, I have owned a few of both and found the CZ's a little more accurate with the Ruger maybe a little slicker when cycling the bolt and I like the Ruger safety much better, the trigger on the CZ is also a little better than the Ruger..............Good luck........547.
Terry Ive got both the 77/22 VBBZ and the 77/17 VBBZ...The .22 was so accurate I didnt hesitate when it came out in a .17 Hummer...both are EXCELLENT.
Plus they will stand up to heavy usage...my .17HMR is budgeted for 3500 rounds per season, and Ive had it five years now....so its had a few rounds through it without a bobble...
( We shoot high volume "gophers" here...)
I couldnt begin to tell you how many rounds my 77/22 have had put through it since I bought it in 1997....again, nary a bobble..

Ingwe
Thanks everybody! Keep'm coming. I'm leaning heavy towards 77/17 target model at this point. Most everybody seems happy with the accuracy with this model and caliber and it looks like it would be great for what I have in mind for the rifle. Paper punching from a bench and some occasional hunting. I have a very accurate/lightweight 20" aluminum barreled 10/22 and I think the 77/17 target would compliment it well. I wanted the CZ 452 at first because I have this cool milled trigger guard for it and I know they shoot. But, now I've sold myself on the idea of a .17HMR it's a non issue because the trigger guard is for the .22LR model only.

I've looked at a few 77/22's and really like the rifle. Nobody has the model I want in stock so I guess I'll have to order one. Still thinking about it though.

Terry
I've got a 77-17 in the standard barrel weight.

I bought it because it was the first 17 cal. rifle to hit town, and am very happy with it!

I've got a fixed 8X Leupold on it with a dot reticle.

100 yard groups hover just over 1" with it.

I want the same rifle in a heavy barrel, for a "back up" gun.

I had a HB model in 22 mag. and sold it in a weak moment. Bad mistake!

Virgil B.
I currently have the 77/17VT and it is a really nice rifle. Traded a Savage for it and while the Savage was definitely more accurate, I prefer the Ruger overall. I need to work on the accuracy issues but the gun feels more full sized and the grey metal coloring coupled with the laminated stock really makes a sharp looking rig!
I was considering a 77/22 a few months ago, and a gunshop owner that I trust told me that a CZ452/453 was a better bang for the buck. He said that 9 out of 10 CZ's would outshoot the 1 out of 10 Rugers that would shoot, and the CZ452 just needed a trigger tweek, whereas the 77/22 had more serious issues.

I bought the CZ453, and am very happy -- the trigger is amazing with no tweeks.
I bought a CZ452 for my son and it is an excellent shooter, plus it has a stock that is possibly the best I've seen on any factory rimfire I've ever handled...it handles and feels like my Biesen custom M70! It will not quite match my Anschutz for group size, but I think a trigger tune up would level that field as well.
Posted By: Kentucky_Windage Re: Ruger 77/17 - 03/13/10
I have been very pleased with my 77/17. Fun little gun... and a tack driver.
Posted By: sako4me Re: Ruger 77/17 - 03/14/10
My 77/22 loves CCI minimags. I should post a pic of the groups it shoots at 54 yards, 10 shots. With that said my daughters Remington Model 5 @ 54 yards, 5 shots with CCI minimags shoots .2 groups, not bad for a $169 rifle.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ruger 77/17 - 03/15/10
My 77/22 drove a tack, on the first try, at 50 yards one. I am not inclined to sell it grin
Terry -

I have a 77/17 VT. Shoots sub MOA with several, maybe most, kinds of ammo. I'm fussy about triggers. Even with the VQ sear and spring, it's borderline crappy IMHO ... smooth enough but too heavy for my tastes. I've cleaned it up to where I can get by with it, but that's it, just gets by, does not impress by any means.

I had the .22 LR version of the same gun. Shot maybe 1.25 MOA. I had the barrel shortened to 20" after a while. Didn't help or hurt accuracy, but it was easier to get in and out of the truck.

I've also had all-weather versions in .22 mag and .22 long rifle.

So I guess you could say I have the 77/xx bug. smile Probably the most useful of the bunch was the all weather .22 magnum. It was squirrel accurate to 100 yards or so and hit harder than the HMR on the bigger varmints.

The main issue you'll have if you do it is the quality of triggers. If you can find one of the older VQ sears that is yellow/gold colored, titanium nitride plated, rather than plain shiny silver stainless steel, grab it, they're a lot more satisfactory unit. The new ones are an improvement, but still need improvement IMHO.

Tom
I have 77/17VMBBZ, 77/22 Hornet VHZ, 77/22 All-Weather 22LR, CZ 452 VARMINTER 17HM2...all of them are excellent shooters, but my favorite is the HMR. I have about 5000 rds thru it and it will still put 5 touching at 50 yards if I do my part. In all fairness each one has new triggers (VQ). I have a Kimber 82M Cascade 22WMR but its still in the experiment stages, but now it too is a shooter.....
I have had several 77/22's over the years. I currently have two, both are .22 LR's. #1 is the very first Ruger K77/22VBZ I ever had. It had horrible barrel shank to receiver fit so I was advised by my local gunsmith to shim it for proper fit (which I did). He also advised me to put some lok-tite on the barrel shank when I put it back together. Well I didn't have any lok-tite, so I used what I had, JB Weld. In addition I tuned the trigger to a super crisp 2 pounds and free floated the barrel in the laminated stock. This one has always been capable of putting 5 of it's perferred ammo into 1" groups at 100 yards from the bench. I have recently shortened and recrowned the barrel at 20" but haven't shot it at extended range since. This one wears a Mueller 4.5x14x40mm AO APV Riflescope in High Ruger Scope Rings.

[Linked Image]

My other one is a Custom Ruger 77/22 I built a year or so ago. It started life out as a Ruger K77/22RP Stainless-Synthetic. I sold the original Barrel, Stock and Scope Rings on the net and started with a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless-Steel Bull Barrel. I spent considerable time polishing on the trigger and sear until the trigger breaks like a glass rod at 1 1/4 pounds. I then had the stirrup that holds the trigger drilled & tapped for an over travel screw. Once all done I set it in a Volquartsen Laminated Wood Stock with the bottom metal and action screws from a Ruger K77/22VBZ. I shot it for one season at our Indoor Shooting Range and then did some reshaping on the Volquartsen Stock.

[Linked Image]

This one wears a Weaver V-16 4x16x42mm AO Riflescope with a Fine Crosshair / Dot Reticle in High Ruger Scope Rings. With SK Jagd Standard Plus this one will print sub 1" groups at 100 yards from the bench.

Yep I do like the Ruger 77/22's. I think they are one of the best feeling Rimfires available. Yes I have done some modifications to the ones I have had but then I do those sorts of things to every new gun I get.

Larry
Thanks again guy's. The CZ 452 Varmint is sold and I ordered a 77/17VMBBZ. It should be here tomorrow.

Now for a scope!

Terry
Okay Ruger experts, I need some help/advice regarding my new 77/17VMBBZ. Bought just a short while back, rifle now has approx. 200rds through it. At 50yds it will barely make a 1" grouping for 5 shots, regardless of ammo. I can't blame the trigger, although a lighter pull weight wouldn't hurt. I love the rifle but won't tolerate this kind of accuracy so either I can fix it or down the road she goes. Any help most appreciated!
thats a shame mine is a shooter. How do you have it setup? Mine I floated the barrel, trigger has been redone with VQ sear & spring. I have a Nikon Buckmaster 6x18x44 mounted and mine loves Hornady 17gr Vmax. i am getting some GREAT 5 shot groups at 50 yards......
I mounted a 4x12x40AO Leupold scope and went shooting. Haven't touched anything on the trigger or inletting yet, but obviously I'll need to start soon. I used to have the same rifle in 22mag and it also was a lousy shooter, traded that off for the Savage 17HMR that I traded for this,LOL!
Originally Posted by John55
Okay Ruger experts, I need some help/advice regarding my new 77/17VMBBZ. Bought just a short while back, rifle now has approx. 200rds through it. At 50yds it will barely make a 1" grouping for 5 shots, regardless of ammo. I can't blame the trigger, although a lighter pull weight wouldn't hurt. I love the rifle but won't tolerate this kind of accuracy so either I can fix it or down the road she goes. Any help most appreciated!

Do the groups tend to string verticaly? Are they in the sahpe of a verical oval?

Ruger likes to put bedding pads inside the foredn of their rifles, and many of their barrels shoot best floated,

So, I do a temporary ,reversable test of this.

Would get an old credit or bank card(thick plastic) and cut a few shims to fit uinder the action bedding areas. This will lift the action up off of the stock and should get the barrel up off the stock as well. If it works properly, you should at least be able to slide a peice of typing paper between the barrel and forend all around it.

Take it out and shoot it. If the guns shoots better, I would go back and sand out the barrel channel so their is about a 1/32" gap all around the barrel and call it good.

My bet is it shrinks your groups by at least 25%. It will also maintain it's POI better over time and NOT be sensive to use with a bipod or a sling.
I love the rifle but won't tolerate this kind of accuracy so either I can fix it or down the road she goes.

Well, BYE.......

[Linked Image] [/quote]
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I love the rifle but won't tolerate this kind of accuracy so either I can fix it or down the road she goes.

Well, BYE.......

[Linked Image]
[/quote]

That's harsh...LOL grin
No, groups are mostly round shaped. Often times I'll have two or three almost touching and then the next shot goes way out, can be up or down or side to side. I'll try shimming up the action and see what happens, thanks for the tip!
John...

Barrels are funny things .

Some have weird harmonice due to internal stress

Floating still may belp..

I would also check the crown.
Terry,

I did have a Model 77 very much like the one pictured, with the laminated stock and steel grey finish. It was a 22 Magnum.
I had zero problems with the rifle, and it was as accurate as any other 22 mag of similar cost on the market. I did do a number on the trigger to get it where I wanted it, a great 16 ounce pull. Other than that, I didn't do much to the rifle. The reason I sold it is because of the lamunated stock, and that steel grey finish. That's just not my cup of tea. If I would have bought one blued with a Walnut stock, I'd still have the rifle. The reason I bought the rifle I did is because it was on the shelf and available. It was the only 22 mag in the store, and I "HAD" to have a 22 Mag at the time.. grin
Jim,
Didn't have any old credit cards to cut up so just put a few thicknesses of old business cards under the front end of the action inletting, not bothering to try and fit anything under the tang. Took it out and now it shoots upside down V shaped groups, first one was pretty decent but the next two weren't. I checked the crown and it looks fine to my eyes.
john55, just for grins check the barrel locking lug to see if the screws are tight, check action screws too. if it is a head space issue, which does happen with the rugers and their 2 piece bolt design. two options to fix that issue are as follows. have shims made and installed between the bolt halves to correct the head space issue, or have the barrel removed and have the shoulder set back by a competent smith to take up the diference in head space (a better aproach IMO but cost more. then when you replace the barrel back into the action, use loc-tight on the shank to receiver fit but be carefull you do not get it where it shouldn't be. i can't remember which one (i think it's Lilja) but one of the barrel makers actualy recommends this approach. anyway these are some things (if this is your issue) that could help.
Thanks for all the tip guys, much appreciated. I'll check all the screws/bolts this evening. If it is a headspace problem, how do I check for it?
John..

As long as the barrel is mounted solidly and pulled back tightly in the receiver by the vee block bolts,there should NOT be any excess headspace. Period.

Head space is the FACTORY'S responsibility IMHO, and is WAY beyond minor tuning.

If it has a problem like that, it is a safely issue as well as an accuracy issue and the folks than made it SHOULD FIX IT..

That is the line I draw when tuning any factory rifle.

If it's got a problem that severe, it goes to back to the factory. And you will be doing them a favor by bringing it to their attention.
I agree. I'm going to mess around with various shims, etc and see if that yields much of an improvement. If it does I'll break out the sand papaer,LOL! If not, then it's time for a new toy...life's too short to aggravate oneself with an inaccurate rifle...especially one that costs this much! Thanks again for all of the help.
Originally Posted by DMB
Terry,

The reason I sold it is because of the lamunated stock, and that steel grey finish. That's just not my cup of tea.

Funny stuff. I picked the rifle up this afternoon. When I brought it home, I opened the box and pulled it out for the wife to see. Her response was "That looks terrible, why did you pick that one?" grin

I guess you just have to warm up to them. If it shoots it's a keeper. I'll tell everybody it belongs to someboby else and I borrowed it wink

Terry
I've got another question this morning.

Are all 77/17's setup with treaded barrels? I thought it was just the 77/22 in .22Hornet.

Thanks,
Terry
My 77/17 and 77/22 are pinned barrels just like a 10/22..
Hmmm, my K77/17-VMBBZ barrel is screwed in. The dove tail is cut in the barrel but no clamp, screws or screw holes. I assume it's threaded.

Terry
Don't assume.......
Poor choice of words on my part.

It's threaded.

[Linked Image]

Terry
Didja crack it loose? Mine ain't a V model, but it has the holes, screws and clamp just like a 10-22. Maybe your action was made at quitting time on Friday, and they forgot to drill it. The clamp/screw guy mighta let it go, as it was time for happy hour. I have a bud that swapped out barrels from a 22 mag to 17 hmr on a v model. If I can run him down, I'll ask about the mounting system. I'm purty sure it wasn't threaded, tho......
HA! It's gotta be threaded. grin

I couldn't be that unlucky.

Terry
tc1, I was mistooken. It was a 10-22 mag that he did the 17hmr barrel swap on. He had a 77/17 v, but sold it, and couldn't tell me if'n it was threaded or not.
Thanks anyway. Maybe somebody will know.

Thanks again,
Terry
I replaced a 22 magnum varmint weight barrel with a Lilja 17 HMR. It was a slip-in install. My 77 in 22 mag was not threaded.
stop wasting time with that rimfire crap and get a hornet!
I thought about the hornet but decided I didn't want another caliber to reload right now. It's a neat cartridge though.

Terry
I love my 22 rimfires, but I like everthing about the hornet better!

Attached picture 22_hornet_target.jpg
My 77-17 VBBZ has a V clamp block w/2 screws like a 10-22-that set up don't look right-I didn't think they went to threaded barrels till you got into the Hornet- have you called Ruger- That was why I bought the Ruger so I could swap barrels if the 17HM was a dud like the 5MM- found a 22 WMR for it . [Linked Image]
My 77/17 has a threaded barrel, no V block or clamps as shown in the last picture.
guys for grins i called customer service at Ruger today and they confirmed that the M77/22's are now threaded. the gal is suppose to get back with me on where the serial # starts on the new design. she could not confirm if they (Ruger) had any plans on doing the same thing to the 10/22's. i did mention to her that something like this should be listed as News on the Ruger web site. hopefully someone will listen there.
I got lucky A couple week,s ago found A 77/22 LR blue /walnut with sights worked the trigger and it,s A grate shooting rifle . Now to find A boat paddle stock any one know of one for sale ?
I'm glad I have one of the pinned barrels instead of the threaded ones..Factories just seem to love to make us all dependent on them and their high prices.
Originally Posted by DavidontheRidge
I got lucky A couple week,s ago found A 77/22 LR blue /walnut with sights worked the trigger and it,s A grate shooting rifle . Now to find A boat paddle stock any one know of one for sale ?

You can go from a boat paddle stock to a wood stock but not sure you can go the other way. I think there is a piece that is needed that pins into the action that Ruger will not sell.

A friend has A 77/22 mag, SS with the boat paddle I will ask him to bring his over and I will cheek this before I buy one many thanks . David
it is not so much the piece, but there needs to be a hole for the pin to secure it to the action. none of the other actions will have that hole. there were a few runs of blued rifles done in the boatpaddle stocks but those actions got the hole drilled in them at the factory. look at the all weather action and then look at yours and it should be obvious to what i'm talking about. maybe you will get lucky and have a blued action that had gotten drilled for the pin.
Will do thank,s David
BTW i think i still have my pieces from after i swapped my SS all weather out of it's bot paddle and into it's factory walnut stock. i'll look this weekend and if i still have it i'll give you a hollar.
i checked and i do have the pieces you need. if you find out your acton is set up to receive the pin to hold the assembly in place then give me a shout and you can have my parts, but if you're not set up for it i don't want to get rid of them to just sit there.
I have A stock found and I will get in tush with my friend tomorrow And PM you thank you . David

Are all 77/17's setup with treaded barrels?

I have takeoff 77/17 HMR barrel. It is a slip and clamp system.

Bruce
© 24hourcampfire