Home
Posted By: mod7rem bushnell vs simmons? - 09/17/10
I just bought a cz scout for plinking and small game. Which scope, simmons 4x32 22mag with rings or bushnell rimfire 4x32 with rings? I dont imagine there is much difference but opinions are always appreciated.
I have the Simmons. Recently bought a Nikon 4x Prostaff rimfire. There is no comparison. I never warmed up to the Simmons: the reticle is too thick and it is not a clear scope. The Nikon, on the other hand, is remarkable. Save for a little longer.
Posted By: jim62 Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/17/10
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I just bought a cz scout for plinking and small game. Which scope, simmons 4x32 22mag with rings or bushnell rimfire 4x32 with rings? I dont imagine there is much difference but opinions are always appreciated.

Between those two scopes, any real perfomance difference is exactly zilch.

Bushnell and Simmons are owned by the sme company. While not the exact same scopes, they are serviced at the same place. Made in the same plant most likely.

About the only functional differnce is the Ocualr focus, te Buehsnll 4x has the old style Lock ring in front of the yepeice and the Simmons has the Euro style finger adjustable at the back.

The 1" .22 mag Simmons scopes have a good rep for being a decent scope for a rimfire.

Frankly, if you want a better scope than that save up $58 and get one of theses HAWKE 3-9 AO scopes.They are an English brand of scopes made in the same places the Bushnell and Simmons are- (China).

http://swfa.com/Hawke-3-9x40-Sport-HD-Riflescope-P41166.aspx

Excellent optics and very nicley made. They are rated for High powered spring airguns, which tear most regular scopes apart. They are very highly thought of in Europe and have a solid import office here in the US. They back their scopes better than Bushnell does their low end scopes IMHO.
Posted By: doubletap Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/17/10
I thought Hawke's Airmax line is the one that will hold up to a spring air rifle. They run about double the cost of the one in your link.
Posted By: OSOK Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/17/10
Originally Posted by Condition Yellow
I have the Simmons. Recently bought a Nikon 4x Prostaff rimfire. There is no comparison. I never warmed up to the Simmons: the reticle is too thick and it is not a clear scope. The Nikon, on the other hand, is remarkable. Save for a little longer.

+1

I just posted a range report for my 10-22 - and it has this scope - the Nikon Prostaff rimfire 4x. Very bright and clear optics for the price. Spend a little more and get quality.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: jim62 Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/17/10
Originally Posted by doubletap
I thought Hawke's Airmax line is the one that will hold up to a spring air rifle. They run about double the cost of the one in your link.

As far as I know everything Hawke sell is airgun rated. The whole "Airmax" designation has more to do with the M.A.P. airgun trajctory drop reticles Nick Jenkison designed for them than anything else.

Even if it is not Airgun rated , it is a MOOT point. The OP asked for a good rimfire scope and the Hawke HD 3-9 AO is equal to anything out there for rimfire use at it's price point.

They are excellent scopes.
Posted By: gl650 Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/18/10
I have several of the Simmons 22 mag scopes and for the money I think they're a pretty decent scope but if you buy one do yourself a favor toss the rings they supply with the scope in the trash and buy some decent ones.
I have mounted two of these scopes with the supplied rings and didn't have enough windage ajustment in the scope to even get close to zeroing them.Replaced the rings with good quality rings and problem solved.
Posted By: mod7rem Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/18/10
Thanks guys, sounds like a little more money is in order and get the nikon. Which rings would you suggest for the cz scout?
Posted By: shooterdood Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/18/10
Lot's of good rifire rings.

A set of steel Burris deluxe rimfire rings in low height would work well.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/21/10
I have used the Simmons 22 Mag 3 X 9 32mm AO on my Kimber 22 for 4 years and it has worked fine. Lets me make head shots on squirrels and rabbits at reasonable ranges.It certainly seems clear enough to me. IMO you can pay more but you certainly don't need to pay more for the uses of a 22.
Posted By: boomtube Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/21/10
Simmons seems to only make one grade of scopes regardless of price. Bushnell makes a wide range of scopes in both price and quality. Their top of the line models are as good as any but their lesser cost models are equal to Simmons and that's not a good thing!

That said, I bought a compact Chinese made Bushnell 2-7x32 .22 scope for my 10-22 some years ago and it's still doing quite well, for whatever that's worth.
Posted By: mod7rem Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/23/10
I wound up buying a leupold 4x28 with leupold rings. Its more than I was going to spend but the size of the scope fits the little scout perfectly. Thanks for all the input.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/23/10
Originally Posted by mod7rem
I wound up buying a leupold 4x28 with leupold rings. Its more than I was going to spend but the size of the scope fits the little scout perfectly. Thanks for all the input.

You have chosen, wisely.
Posted By: Nessmuk Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/23/10
I have owned 4 Simmons 22mags. One fixed 4x, and two 3-9AO's. Each has been accurate and has held up. None is on an airgun or autoloader tho. For the money the Simmons is fine. For clarity it lacks more expensive stuff, but that stuff is more expensive for a reason. My son took a tumble, off our roof, while shooting a chicken thieving fox, with my Simmons on an H&R. It came out of it a little dinged, a little dented, and still working fine.
Posted By: SteveS Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/23/10
I agree with Corelokt--Simmons is OK for the money. If you want to get a nice scope cheap, check eBay for an older Tasco made in Japan--prior to @ 2002 I think, if you can find one in good shape. Study, great clarity.

Too, I had an older Simmons and it was nice heavy aluminum with great blue. Then a newer Pro Hunter--It was much lighter, but OK for optics. I do like the quick adjust focus on the Simmons for sure.
Posted By: Homesteader Re: bushnell vs simmons? - 09/25/10
Corelokt - "Older, Slower, not much wiser. All the downside of youth and none of the pluses.". Don't sell yourself short here.
Your wisdom has come to the fore as you recognize being older and slower comes with age. Remember the yarn about the old bull and the young bull? Curious about the comment on the "downside of youth" however - you miss pimples and not having money? Regards, Homesteader.
© 24hourcampfire