Home
Posted By: Barkoff .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/12/10
What or is there any reason to go with the CCI .22 Short CB, over the LR? It looks as if they have the same performance.

Looking for some suburb covert pest control to use in my .22 bolt.
Good question. I've only used the CB Longs and have no complaints but I guess there's a reason they make the shorts.

The longs are quieter than my spring loaded pellet gun was and it was rated at the lowest decibel rating of all I looked at. I live in town and have never had a neighbor comment on the noise and I've got one that would.

They're more than squirrel head accurate in my rifle out to 25 yards and have plenty of killing power at that range. They'll also cycle through a 77-22 or a 39A.

The only drawback I can think of with CBs in town is that a miss will travel a ways so I make sure I've got an adequate backstop of some sort.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
What or is there any reason to go with the CCI .22 Short CB, over the LR? It looks as if they have the same performance.

Aguila Colibri and Super Colibri work very well in the above situation.
Posted By: Maser Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/13/10
+1 on the Aguila Super Colibri! Suppressors aren't allowed in the lovely state I live in and the Super Colibris are a dream to shoot if quietness is what your strive. BEWARE of the normal Colibris in rifles because I had a few get stuck in my rifle barrel. I was told those are for pistols not rifles. Anyways, the Super Colibris are the way to go. They sound about the same and a typical spring-piston airgun.
CB longs will shoot better in a LR chamber but they won't fit in a gun chambered for shorts. Never heard anyone claim exceptional accuracy with the longs, but they do well enough from what I hear. CB Shorts in a short chamber can be amazingly accurate.

Posted By: dubePA Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/13/10
CB shorts are accurate enough in one of my rifles, to consistantly head-pop varmints in the backyard. And quiet enough to cause little notice. Especially when carefully fired from inside through an open window, muzzle well back from the opening.

Been using CCI CB 22 shorts for years. At a tad over 700FPS, just about right for my uses.
From my 63 Winchester CB's are quieter that my Crossman pellet rifle. I nailed a squirrel last Saturday that was on my bird feeder and my neighbor who was grilling steaks didn't even look up.
I've used both for controlling pest problems in the back yard probably max of 30 yards. I liked the longs a little better because I could manually cycle them through my semi-autos with no problems.
CB shorts @ 50 yards, bag rest.

[Linked Image]

The perpetrator w/ short chamber

[Linked Image]
Posted By: selmer Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/14/10
I've found the CB short version to be more accurate than the long version in every .22 I own, and that's a Stevens 44 1/2 match rifle, Marlin 881, Remington 581, and a Remington 572 (which I sold) Haven't tried either in the two Cricketts my daughters shoot.
I have experienced better accuracy with the CB Longs than the Shorts. I have shot them in two Contender carbines with Match barrels, a Savage Model 73 (Crackshot 22 replica) and my Marlin Mountie.
My Colt Diamondback doesn't care for either of the flavors.
The report sounds the same to me. (I have to admit I haven't sent my ears in for calibration, though. :))

Ed
Posted By: OldBlue Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/14/10
I just bought some CCI CB shorts and the box is marked "subsonic". I had cap guns as a kid that were louder. They're just perfect for my annual "squirrel holacost" to thin them out. Before I started plinking them I'd sometimes have six or more in the backyard at one time.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/15/10
CCI is getting confusing, the have the CB short, CB Long, and the Subsonic. Seems the subsonic and the CB Longs have the same fps. Must be a different bullet.
Posted By: Ron_T Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/15/10
I've been shooting small varmints for many years with CB Longs... everything from 'coons to chipmunks, but you need to be careful about what's behind the target since the CB Longs shoot THROUGH most of the varmints.

I've never found the CB Longs to be all that accurate... they're just "so-so" accuracy-wise in my humble opinion, but then, that's out of a single-shot Stevens 15Y "cheapie" rifle.

They may do better in a better quality rifle, but I won't shoot them in my better rifles because the CB Long is not as long as a .22 long rifle cartridge. As a result, the CB Long (and CB Short as well) tend to cause a build-up of lead at the mouth of the chamber because they aren't long enough to fit UP into the chamber's mouth. As a result, when they're fired, they wobble up the chamber's mouth and engage the rifling, but sometimes slam into the edge of the mouth of the chamber.

As a result, they tend to "deposit" the edges of the bullet against the mouth of the chamber which eventually results in a build-up of lead which eventually obstructs chambering a long rifle cartridge in that rifle until you take a wire-brush and clean out the built-up lead at the chamber's mouth.

It's no "biggie" to dig out that lead, but it must be done if you wish to shoot long rifle cartridges in the same rifle in which you shoot the CB caps... either Longs or Shorts. Naturally, how fast that "build-up" occurs depends on how much shooting you do with the CB caps... and mine has built-up a couple of times over the 20 or 30 years I've been using the CB caps.

The CB Longs report is pretty quiet... about like a Crossman pellet rifle. Just make sure of what's beyond your target. smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/15/10
Well I was able to find the CB shorts and some LR Sub-sonics, hands down the CB Shorts are quieter that the SubSonics. I'll have to find some CB LR next. Took some shots across the yard, (only about ten yards) quarter size group..that'll do.
The CB Longs and CB shorts from CCI should both be using 29 grain bullets at about 700 fps (in the CCI rifle test barrel). Subsonics should be using a 40 grain bullets at 1050 fps.

Heck, Google revealed this:

http://www.cci-ammunition.com/products/products.aspx

Personally, I dig the CB Longs, as the shorts don't offer anything as far as "quiet" is concerned.

Scott

Ron:

Kind of argues for me to take a trip down to the emporium for a look through the used rifle rack. Less than $100 will get me a dedicated CB rifle.

Let the gunk build up in front of the case mouth, and maybe that'll take some of the "wobble" out.

Hmmm.

- Tom
Posted By: Ron_T Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/18/10
Tom...

GOOD THINKING!!!

That is EXACTLY what I "dedicated" the cheap little Stevens single shot rifle to be... my CB Cap rifle. I did that after I got the lead build-up in one of my better quality .22 rimfire rifles. smile
Posted By: Pete E Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/18/10
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley
The CB Longs and CB shorts from CCI should both be using 29 grain bullets at about 700 fps (in the CCI rifle test barrel). Subsonics should be using a 40 grain bullets at 1050 fps.

Thats my understanding also..I believe the CB longs will usually feed better out of a standard box mag, as the shorts tend to pop out before the bullet tip is properly supported/guided by the "feed ramp"...
Posted By: selmer Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/18/10
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by Scott_Thornley

Thats my understanding also..I believe the CB longs will usually feed better out of a standard box mag, as the shorts tend to pop out before the bullet tip is properly supported/guided by the "feed ramp"...

The shorts even feed decent through my tube-fed Marlin 881. The CCI Subsonic HPs are wicked on small game, they approximate the .22 Short HP in velocity and surpass it in accuracy in my guns. I've quit trying to find the Short HPs for small game hunting and switched to the Subsonic HPs
Posted By: natman Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/19/10
Originally Posted by Barkoff

There's no advantage to the CB short unless your gun is chambered in 22 Short. Otherwise use CB Longs.

Be aware that the roundnose, low speed bullets love to ricochet. Be sure of your backstop.
CB caps are not the same thing as CB shorts.

[Linked Image]

L-R: CB Cap, Short, Long Rifle, courtesy of Wikipedia.
If I remember correctly, CB Caps originally were a primer-only cartridge using a Conical Bullet, as in Dan's illustration. There were also RB Caps with (you guessed it) Roundnose Bullets.

Shorts always have contained gunpowder in addition to the priming mix. In recent years, companies like CCI have made cartridges the size of shorts, but with priming compound only, ala CB Caps. They did this because it was more economical to have only one case-drawing setup at "short" length - and also because those darn CB and RB caps were nearly impossible to chamber with your fingers and absolutely impossible to feed through a magazine.

Yes, those of you with a deeper historical background will recognize that both CB and RB Caps are the direct descendants of the Flobert design for parlor guns.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/20/10
Do they still make CB caps?

Are CB caps primer only? I read somewhere those sometimes don't make it out the barrel.
BB Caps, the original .22 RF. The CB Cap always had powder, just not much of it.

BB Cap = Bulleted Breech
CB Cap = Conical Ball

[Linked Image]

Yes, they are both (BB/CB caps) still manufactured by Dyamit Nobel RWS and another company called Umarex as I recall.

Rocky, will all respect, the CB shorts manufactured by Winchester back in the late 70's or early 80's and subsequently by everybody else since, have contained powder. None were ever just primer powered.
Posted By: dubePA Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/20/10
Here's what it says on the CCI CB 22 Short label:

22 Short, Lead Round Nose, 710FPS, 29 Grain.

At the bottom of the label, it says Sub-Sonic*Low Noise.

Been whackin' back yard varmints with these things for years. Deadly out to about 30 yards on woodchucks, w/head pops.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/20/10
OK, here is what I was thinking of..

Aguila, .22 Super Colibri is super-quiet ammo that does not contain gun powder but fires from the force of the primer only. Powerful and silent, great for use in urban areas. This is a 20-grain solid lead bullet in a brass case. Will break glass and penetrate hard tin cans. Velocity is 500 fps at the muzzle with 11 ft/lbs of energy and can be lethal. This ammo works great and is intended for .22 handguns only. Simply some of the best ammo on the market today with a low noise rating.

I had read that some tried them in long guns, most of the time they would work, sometimes the bullet would not make it out.
Barkoff, if you want quiet use the CB shorts/longs in a 24" or longer barrel. They are pretty quiet out of shorter barrels, say 20", but they get absurdly quiet in the longer tubes. Plus, they have more steam than the Colibris, which may or may not clear the barrel in a rifle.

24-26" barrels and mostly you'll hear the firing pin strike more than anything...then a soft 'whop' when the bullet strikes.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: .22 Short CB vs. The long. - 10/22/10

I'm trying all of them to quench my curiosity. There is a regular Colibri at 300fps and the super at 500fps. I bought or I should say back-ordered the CB short and long, both at 700fps and a box of the Colibri supers. It is has been a long time since I owned a .22, I can't believe how many options are out there...much of it unavailable. ):
I've got a marlin 881 and shoot the cb longs in it with great accuracy, I smoked 2 crows yesterday off the back porch at 46 yds and it was a bang flop and its alot quiter than my RWS pellet gun.
© 24hourcampfire