Home
About 40 days ago into my local pawn sport shop came several firearms from an "estate".
A relative of a deceased fellow was handling the disposition of several long arms.
My local pawn sport shop handles "consignment" firearms and they did as was asked and appraised the several arms for the relative.
I told the shopowner that day that I would be interested in the Remington Model 572 pump Rifle.
The relative took the appraisal back to the living spouse and FINALLY got back to the shop today that the aforementioned prices were okay.
This little Rifle really balanced and pointed well for me back a month+ ago when I first saw it.
I had never owned one of these and it will fill a couple of "needs" that I have - one is I do not have a "shooter" pump 22 to use in educating my two (so far) grandchildren about pump action Rifles.
AND, I love to shoot pump 22's and the others I have are simply to valuable to take out and shoot anymore.
Speaking of shooting - I hurried home from the gunshop once I paid for the gun and got my range gear together and my large collection of "22 test ammo" and headed out for the range.
Once at the range I noticed a "weather change" and the wind is crossways and at least 12 - 15 M.P.H. and its COLD!
I decide to shoot anyway - as much to verify function and to check for any defects.
The 572 worked perfectly and I especially enjoyed the very fine front bead of the Remingtons open sights.
I set my target stantion at 20 yards and put up a large paper target with a 1/2" orange dot in the center - who knows where this thing may shoot to I thought.
Not to worry - my first 7 shots were so close to the dot that I did not even change the sight settings.
I then got off the sand bags and tried some rapid fire function testing - again all went well.
The safety works and not one fail to feed with the two brands of ammo I tried (Federal hollow-point bulk pack and Winchester Power-Points).
My last course of fire was to "whack" several orange and black clay pigeons that had been left in the firing lanes.
I was firing now slow and offhand and I just did very well at this - hitting the clay pigeons offhand from 10 to 20 yards out.
The trigger pull is about 4 1/2 pounds, I am guessing, and with just a tiny amount of creep.
The grandkids will not notice this though - I am sure.
I don't think I am going to put a scope on this little gem - it will be the ONE 22 that the grandkids will have to learn about open sights with.
Well it was sure worth the wait and the pittance of monies I paid for it ($120.00) I conclude.
And this one last thing - when I went to do the paperwork for the Rifle we could find NO serial number on the arm.
Does anyone know WHEN serial numbers began to be required on all guns?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VarmitGuy,

Am thinking serial numbers started being mandatory with the gun controll act of 1968.

Virgil B.
I'm assuming you looked on the L side of the reciever?

That's where mine has its serial number, but it is not very old. Its an extremely accurate rifle.
Great little 22's. Also a great candidate for some Cerkote.

Joseph
Okiebowhunter: I am not familiar with Cerkote - whats it for - is it a lubricant?
Maybe I will Google - Cerkote?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Vbshootingrange: Aaahhh.... you are probably correct.
That would make my Remington 572 older than I thought at then being pre-1968 or at least 43 years old - more research needed.
Thanks for the direction.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Dog_Hunter: Yes I double checked just now and the left side of the receiver has the following information:

Remington Fieldmaster Model 572

And that is all.

Thats great news on your pump gun being extremely accurate.
I was going to take mine out again today to test some more ammo but the wind here in SW Montana has been howling all day!
I did look at the Wikipedia site for the Remington Model 572 and they did not have very much info at all - in fact they solicited folks to add info to their smallish page of stuff on the Model 572.

Just did another search and could not get back to the Wikipedia reference I saw a while back - but I did find this GORGEOUS Model 572 for sale!
I notice this 572 DOES have the serial number by the name and model number on the left side of the receiver.

Link: http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=9515922

Man that Rifle is nice!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Cerakote is for external metal parts. Several colors available and protects the metal. My reference was for the aluminum receivers. A lot of the used ones out there have seen some use and abuse. Mine is still good, but I'm just itching to have it applied in some crazy color. Dig around on here and you can find some pics. Sorry for the delay in reply.

Joseph
Okiebowhunter: Thanks for the update.
I just came from my local pawn/gunshop where I saw a new Charter Arms revolver with an "electric burgundy light purple" finish on its frame!
It was right next to a Ruger semi-auto 22 pistol with a computer generated camouflage finish on it!
To tell the truth I kind of enjoyed the "look" of both guns.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Here's mine..

[Linked Image]
Mine is sitting in it's box. Accuracy and function is great. I have trouble acquiring the sights. Must be the "hog head" god gave me. Tried selling it a while back with no luck. Might try a scope someday. Neat rifles which I believe are still being made. Got mine NIB at Cabela's a few years ago.

BTW I only tried bulk ammo. The rifle did not care which brand, accuracy was good at 30 yards with Federal, Remington and Winchester. I'll bet it would be really good at 50 yards with some brand experimentation.
acquired my rem fieldmaster back in 1962. first real gun i owned. the 12 guage single shot stevens came later.

it was the adl type model. had small rear and front sights. had problems with the ammo firing from the beginning. went back to the factory on warranty issue. they said there was a problem with the barrel, and they replaced the barrel. it shot fine after that.

used a ton of remington long rifle hollow-points to harvest a near ton of squirrels, and a halfton of rabbits, and a quarter ton of groundhogs, etc. etc.

it was go-to rifle all through high school and later. broke one firing pin, and had it replaced. it shot fine with it broken, but just didn't like that fact.

later on, put a 3/4 inch ted williams rimfire scope on it. fine crosshairs. after sighting in, it saved a lot of ammo. grin

i don't know when the BDL model was introduced, but the one i have is definitely more like the ADL. it's scratched, banged-up, and is raggedy. but definitely a good gun, that i have owned since i first hit the squirrelly woods.
But but but it isn't a 17 hmr or that 17 mini hmr! Whatever are you thinking!
Barrel code will tell you the month/year the gun was made.
Serial numbers on the 572 and some other Remington 22's began in 1968 IIRC.
Swampman700: Great looking Rifle you have there - it is apparently a more "deluxe" model than mine.
I considered adding a scope to mine but I think I will hold off a couple years before I scope it.
Looks like you have "ferns" in yo swamp!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
700LH: By golly YOU hit the nail on the head with that post - I have a mindset wherein I only think Remington "barrel code dated" their beloved centerfire Rifles.
Not so - as pointed out by 700LH!
My Rifle was made in January of 1961 - according to the barrel code.
Years ago I printed out several copies of the Remington "barrel code" dating key and placed them strategically for my uses - they come in very handy if one can remember to use them.
I will have to search for a current link to the barrel code key and post it.
Thanks again.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Elkhunter69: Campfire [bleep] or not - if YOU don't have something pertinent, germane (relevent) or rational to add what possesses YOU to bother posting your blather?
Sheesh.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Ring3: Are you saying you have a vision problem in aligning your 572's sights or is your head shaped so that its difficult to align?
I wear a size 7 7/8 hat myself but my open sight useage with my 572 is not especially difficult.
I have the Rifle right here now in my computer room and I re-checked the "mounting" of the Rifle.
Time after time I throw the Rifle up to my eye and the "V" of the rear sight comes to the same place each time which is aligned halfway straight down the barrel to the front sight.
THEN I scrunch up my cheek and neck to achieve alignment of the rear sight and the front sight.
Just takes a second.
The open sights are mounted VERY low on the Rifle.
Still not much of an impediment.
Yes I also use the fine Federal bulk pack hollow-point ammunition in my "new" 572.
I can't wait for the Ground Squirrels to come out.
It started snowing here today at noon and we have 2" of the wet white stuff on the ground now!
Luckily I got to the range this morning and did some shooting.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Gus: I have never Hunted Tree Squirrels (Gray Squirrels?).
I have always wanted to.
Maybe I will get back east someday and do so?
I got hired to move a luxury vehicle a few years ago from Montana down to Florida and when down Kentucky, Illinois and Tennessee way I saw some Gray Squirrels - they were bigger than I imagined them to be.
I have a MINT little J.C. Higgins 3/4" tube scope down in my gunshow boxes and I thought that it would look good on my 572 someday. I do want the two grandkids to get to shoot this Rifle before I scope it up.
Yeah my 572 from 1961 has no checkering on the rear stock and just has "vertical" grooves in the fore stock.
I wonder if there was an "over-size" chamber in your first 572 barrel causing the missfires?
Enjoy your 572 for another 50 years!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I have a 572 that I bought new in the late '80s. It's a really fun gun, but for some reason, I've never even fired it off of a bench, so I haven't done any serious ammo testing. Mostly, it just sits in the safe. I have a cheap 1" scope mounted on it, I can't even remember what it is, Bushnell probably. I do know it/I killed a Weaver 4x from when Weaver first came back... I think probably from slamming the slide forward when reloading. I've heard that's why airguns kill so many scopes not designed for them... recoil is going the 'wrong way'.
I saw an older 572 for $165.00 the other day.
Swampman700: I think if that Rifle was in good shape and in good order that it would be a good buy for someone.
I am really enjoying mine and have decided on the federal ammo to use in it permanently.
Used mine last week to bump off several Gophers on a walkabout near my house.
Its just a fun gun that balances and shoots well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
© 24hourcampfire