Home
Posted By: bigram Quiet outdoor "range" - 05/10/01
I'm mulling over a way to shoot without <BR>bothering my neighbors too much. We have <BR>16 acres with a good bit of space between<BR>the nearby houses. Anyone have any ideas<BR>about how to set up a quiet 50 yd. range?<BR>I've thought of using old metal culverts<BR>and/or using one of our old wooden sheds.<BR>It doesn't have to be soundproof, just quiet<BR>for at least a .22, maybe a large bore handgun. Thanks,<P>Dave
Posted By: Bob.280 Re: Quiet outdoor "range" - 05/10/01
Bigram- The cheapest thing I could think of would be to dig a trench then cover it with poles and scrap plywood. Put dirt on top of the plywood. Leave the end open for easy access to the target. Build a shed over the end where you will shoot from. Make sure the muzzle is into the tunnel when shooting. That should reduce the noise some. Or the new plastic culverts may work. Good luck with the project. Bob
Posted By: bigram Re: Quiet outdoor "range" - 05/11/01
Bob,<BR>Hadn't thought of the trench idea - it's a good one. Thanks. Dave
Posted By: weagle Re: Quiet outdoor "range" - 05/17/01
One of the local public ranges near my house has a table that has about 10 to 12 old car tires attached together to make a 6 to 8 foot tunnel. this makes quite an effective baffel even for high powered rifles.
© 24hourcampfire