Home
Posted By: E Blair kimber rimfires - 03/17/12
Does Kimber still make rimfires? I was in a local gunshop today and they had a used Kimber in .17 hmr. A nice gun, but does Kimber still make rimfires?
Posted By: avagadro Re: kimber rimfires - 03/17/12
Not unless they've started again recently
Posted By: wareagle Re: kimber rimfires - 03/17/12
I don't recall Kimber making a 17HMR even when they did make rimfires. The 17 Mach2 was available in the varmint.
Posted By: VaHillbilly Re: kimber rimfires - 03/17/12
Not at the moment, but I'm sure a bunch of people would like to see them start back. Kimber doesn't seem to be in any hurry to start back into the rimfire rifle business either, they must be making plenty of money on their 1911 pistol line, I don't know if they sell a whole bunch of centerfire rifles, I do know that quality on these rifles is very iffy from one particular rifle to the next, I have a buddy that bought a $1100.00 Montana recently and is one sick dude right now as this rifle is one of the worst shooters I have ever had the displeasure of being around. The rifle is presently back at Kimber, he sent it back almost two months ago and has heard nothing from Kimber.............Hb
Posted By: hotsoup Re: kimber rimfires - 03/18/12
kimber no longer produces .22 cal rifles. i had a .22 "hunter" model for several years and it was a wonderful rifles in every respect. i bought it just for squirrel hunting, but just couldn't relax and let the dings/scratches happen, so i sold it to a campfire member a couple years ago.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: kimber rimfires - 03/18/12
I bought a Kimber Hunter about 10 years ago. It is a finely crafted rifle that is quite accurate. It has become my favorite .22 rifle and is used often for squirrel hunting. I use it with the care due any fine tool, but it was made to be put to use.
Posted By: papalondog Re: kimber rimfires - 03/18/12
They used to make them out here in God's country (Oregon) and they looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Posted By: drover Re: kimber rimfires - 03/18/12
That is an interesting combo on the bottom one, I have never seen that before. Was that factory or did you do a "build" to come up with that?

drover
Posted By: papalondog Re: kimber rimfires - 03/18/12
That gun was custom ordered (made) for an engineer at the Kimber factory. He hand picked the wood. The receiver, rings, floorplate/trigger guard, sling studs and magazine are nickled with a brushed finish. The rifle is stunning to see in person.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: K22 Re: kimber rimfires - 03/18/12
Originally Posted by papalondog
They used to make them out here in God's country (Oregon) and they looked like this:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow!! Love those. I wish I would have bought some of them back when they were being made. But, I was into K22's made by KDF at the time.

I do have 2 Kimber Montana's and one Kimber Classic. Most accurate out of the box factory rifles I've ever had the pleasure to shoot. It took a bit to learn to shoot something that light from a bench, but once I figured that out......wow!! Very consistent shooters. Now I'm going to save up for one of the rimfires.
Posted By: jim62 Re: kimber rimfires - 03/18/12
Kimber never made a 17HMR rifle.

It must have either been a 17 Centerfire or a 17Mach 11
Posted By: Freeman1 Re: kimber rimfires - 03/18/12
WOW Papalondog nice rifles.
Posted By: wareagle Re: kimber rimfires - 03/19/12
Originally Posted by wareagle
I don't recall Kimber making a 17HMR even when they did make rimfires. The 17 Mach2 was available in the varmint.

There an echo in here?
Posted By: Kushtekaa Re: kimber rimfires - 04/05/12

There an echo in here?

Echo - Yes on the 17 M2, but No on the centerfire.
Posted By: Luvthemtorts Re: kimber rimfires - 04/22/12
I had one of their Mach II rimfire models and it threw flyers all day long. Sent it to the factory and it came back with a different stock. I thought that was great until I noticed the barrel wasn't square in the channel and touched heavily on one side. Back to the factory and it was returned with the same stock with a widened channel on the left side. Looked horrible and grouped worse than any rifle I have ever owned (rimfire or centerfire). Getting rid of that thing was like a huge weight lifted off of me as the dismal accuracy, and the price I paid for it, left me sick to the stomach much like a kick in the ole' applebag.
I absolutely love their 1911 pistols, and own several, but I will never buy another rifle produced by them.
Posted By: knifeman Re: kimber rimfires - 04/22/12
If you can find a used Kimber Classic 22 buy it. You'll be glad you did deadly accurate.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: kimber rimfires - 04/22/12
There's one in the Classifieds here right now.
Posted By: E Blair Re: kimber rimfires - 04/23/12
I may be taking a look at one of the old Kimber Americans in .22 lr later this week. Now why are the Cooper .22s so dang expensive? They must be at least another $1,000+ more than a nice used Kimber. I'd like one, because it would be a step up in fit and finish over my Savage Mk II, but I am not sure it would be a whole lot more accurate. The heavy barrel Savage is just the thing for head shooting squirrels, but that is a big price to pay for some nice walnut.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/23/12
I have a K of O lefty. As we lefties all know, port side guns are expensive when you want to buy one, and cheap if you want to sell.

Paul
Posted By: avagadro Re: kimber rimfires - 04/23/12
Originally Posted by E Blair
I'd like one (Cooper?), because it would be a step up in fit and finish over my Savage Mk II, ...

From my limited experiecne, that is a bit of an understatement.

Posted By: Walker6 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/26/12
I saw a like-new Kimber of America model 22 Superamerica in a local shop today. They wanted $1250 for it. Is that a reasonable price?
Posted By: eh76 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/27/12
Seems a bit high to me.....
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: kimber rimfires - 04/27/12
Well, the Hunters are $700-$800, and Classics are going for more than that. SuperAmerica probably gets a $200-$300 premium over the Classic...
Posted By: eh76 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/27/12
Then I need to sell 3 K of O Classics in 22 LR, 22 H and 22 KH. The Hornet was Pete Grisel's.
Posted By: avagadro Re: kimber rimfires - 04/27/12
Toss'em up on the Classifieds ... In better times I might could snag one.

Thinking the $1200 isn't a bad price, weren't they around there new? They don't make them anylonger.

Hell some idiots will pay that much for an M70 that has New Haven stamped on it, when 7-8 years ago they were bitchin' about how crappy USRAC QC has become.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: kimber rimfires - 04/27/12
E Blair: They do still make a couple models of rimfire pistol models but they have "suspended" their production of rimfire Rifles.
I was told by a Kimber factory gun representative that they became so busy with the more profitable "pistols" they they shut down rimfire Rifle production though have saved the tooling and such in hopes of resuming rimfrie Rifle production "someday"!
This conversation took place in person, a couple of years ago now.
I have several Kimber rimfire Rifles and the ones I choose to shoot are quite accurate and reliable.
I shoot a Kimber 82G (heavy barrel Government model) in 22 L.R. and a Kimber Model 22 H/S (Hunter/Silhouette model) in 22 L.R. both are VERY deadly on Gound Squirrels!
How about an update - did you spring for the Kimber 17 HMR Rifle?
And if so how does it shoot?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: eh76 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/28/12
Originally Posted by E Blair
Does Kimber still make rimfires? I was in a local gunshop today and they had a used Kimber in .17 hmr. A nice gun, but does Kimber still make rimfires?

mentioning the 17 hummer you are giving the varmint gay a woody........be careful.
Posted By: EDMHUNTER Re: kimber rimfires - 04/28/12
Originally Posted by avagadro
Toss'em up on the Classifieds ... In better times I might could snag one.

Thinking the $1200 isn't a bad price, weren't they around there new? They don't make them anylonger.

Hell some idiots will pay that much for an M70 that has New Haven stamped on it, when 7-8 years ago they were bitchin' about how crappy USRAC QC has become.

They are paying for the trigger not the stamp. Good base for a custom.
Posted By: E Blair Re: kimber rimfires - 04/28/12
No, I did not spring for that Kimber 17. I am more in the market for a 22 lr. I saw on the web that a high end shop here in MD has a "Super America" for sale around $1700. That is more than some Coopers. Now I am thinking about just getting a Browning SA-22. I think those are the coolest 22s around.
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: kimber rimfires - 04/28/12
Eh76: You may think you have "oracle" like powers there eh76, but you have NO idea what arouses me!
You are simply a turd trying to offend people for no reason what so ever - and you can't even do that well.
And that makes you a waste.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: eh76 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/29/12
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Eh76: You may think you have "oracle" like powers there eh76, but you have NO idea what arouses me!
You are simply a turd trying to offend people for no reason what so ever - and you can't even do that well.
And that makes you a waste.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Getting your dander up is worth the effort you old blow hard.

Lighten up bish....you take yourself way to seriously wink
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: kimber rimfires - 04/29/12
I had one of the early Kimber .22 LR's. It was a nice rifle, but went down the road. It couldn't shoot with my Cooper .22 LR. I still have the Cooper and will never trade it.

The Kimbers shown earlier in this thread are beautiful. My Cooper isn't that pretty, but they do make some fancier ones.

DF
Posted By: Phillip_Nesmith Re: kimber rimfires - 04/29/12
I've had a Hunter 22 for several years now. It's my favorite out of all the 22's I have owned over the years. I had a Kimber 22 Classic, but traded it for a Kimber 82 Classic, and the Oregon guys may cry sacrilege but I like the NY rifles much better. Sold the 82. [Linked Image]

Posted By: jwill350 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/29/12
Here is my K22 Classic. It's a good one.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/29/12
Very nice gentlemen!
Posted By: avagadro Re: kimber rimfires - 04/30/12
Originally Posted by jwill350
Here is my K22 Classic. It's a good one.
[Linked Image]

If so good, where's it's scope? smile
Posted By: jwill350 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/30/12
It's on there now. smile I had a M1 turret put on my 3-9 efr, and I switched the rings to Talley's.
Posted By: avagadro Re: kimber rimfires - 04/30/12
NICE .... IMHO, one of the nicest scope a fellow can put an a quality 22 rf. I have one on my XXII ... may move it to my 77/22 in the future.
Posted By: lovemy99 Re: kimber rimfires - 04/30/12
hope I am not high jacking too bad but if anyone has a lefty KoO rimfire they would like to sell... shoot me a PM... I recently started looking for one of these.

Thanks
(oh heck I would be interested in a lefty centerfire, 84 also)
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: kimber rimfires - 04/30/12
Eh76: I just LOVE to point out turds doing turdlike things - and your latest post is AGAIN just proving your turdiness - in addition to that YOU have nothing to add of ANY substance AGAIN! And unfortunately for you I conduct myself completely free from any hints from TURDS like you!
And as proof - as you point out, there eh76, YOU are a turd!
I have earned the respect I have for myself - you call yourself a turd and I fully agree - I feel sorry for you somewhat.
Add something substantive or flush yourself... please!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: eh76 Re: kimber rimfires - 05/01/12
You just can't resist can you varmintgoober! laugh laugh laugh

Lets see some of these rifles you claim to own wink

Respect...???? You don't get any respect. You aren't listening bish...YOU TAKE YOURSELF WAY TO SERIOUSLY!
Posted By: TWR Re: kimber rimfires - 05/03/12
I love my Kimber Hunter
[Linked Image]
Very accurate and works fine.
Posted By: E Blair Re: kimber rimfires - 05/04/12
Checked back on the Kimber in the original post, and it is a HM2. It is still on the rack at $1300.
© 24hourcampfire