Home
Posted By: txduckman07 Suppressor anyone? - 09/20/12
Anyone here running a suppressor on their 22? I've been thinking about it for awhile. I have a Sig 1911 22 that's threaded and have a threaded 597 on order. We have tons of jackrabbits where I hunt and would love to be able to work over the population without disturbing the deer more than necessary. Gemtech seems to be the popular choice and price is right. Are there other suggestions on manufacturers that I should look at?
Posted By: hound46 Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/21/12
I have an SWR spectre1 I run on a ruger mkII, ruger 77/17, ruger 77/22, and 2 different 10/22s. I just sold a sig mosquito to a buddy. He's waiting for spectre 2. Its the most fun you can have with your pants on. When I shoot mine with my pants off, it's the second most fun thing to do grin with your pants off.

With the right host weapon, the jack rabbit meat report will be louder than the shot.
Would skip gemtech and look AAC or SWR!

Have friends with both and both are excellent!

Mike
Posted By: ColdCase1984 Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/26/12
Like my AAC Aviator. A lot. Click. Clang.
Posted By: PMC Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/26/12
Yes. YHM Mite. Works great on the 10/22, 40x, & browning buckmark. Very easy to take apart to clean
Posted By: Suicycle Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/26/12
Pretty big fan of Liberty Suppressors. They are just a few miles away though so I might be a little biased. I have a few friends that have them too. Kodiak and Essence.
Posted By: Poodleshooter Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/27/12
I use an SWR Spectre. I'd recommend that only if you want a suppressor for dual use with .22magnum, 5.7,etc.
AAC, Gemtech, Liberty, SWR/Silencerco and YHM are other big makers. There are tons of smaller companies,too: Tactical Innovations, Thompson Machine,etc.
Check out www.silencerforum.com for some good reviews and info.

Hunting small game with suppressors is a lot of fun, especially at longer ranges.
Posted By: supercrewd Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/28/12
I own a Spectre 2 but am waiting on permission to possess it. I chose it for its versatility as I can shoot my 17hmr thru it, it disassembles for cleaning, good suppression and not because I can envision Hound46 with his pants off.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/28/12
I have a little AWC 10/22 Ruger, very quite specially when Smith installs a new buffer, kilt three coyotes from a tree before coyote 4 and 5 figured WTF and split. laugh

Gunner
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/28/12
22 is not particularly hard to suppress. Most of the products out there from the well know manufactures do a good job. 22 is dirty, so make sure you get a can that can be taken apart by the user for cleaning. Suppressors are like potato chips, it's hard to stop at one.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/28/12
Wish I woulda had a video of that coyote kill, at the shot the first coyote started rolling on the ground and began screaming, the other 4 attacked him shocked, was able to get a shot into 2 more then the other 2 hooked it.

They all died within about 35' of my tree-stand.

There is no honor among thieves or any tolerance for weakness in the woods, very cool thing to get to witness.

Gunner
Posted By: atomchaser Re: Suppressor anyone? - 09/28/12
22 is not particularly hard to suppress. Most of the products out there from the well know manufactures do a good job. 22 is dirty, so make sure you get a can that can be taken apart by the user for cleaning. Suppressors are like potato chips, it's hard to stop at one.
Posted By: TC1 Re: Suppressor anyone? - 10/02/12
.22LR suppressors are fun! Every squirrel that comes in my yard suffers from a nervous twitch. They all know an acorn can be very costly crazy

[Linked Image]

I run this one on a Walther P22 also but, it stay's on the rifle the majority of the time. The 20" barrel makes it extremely quiet.
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Suppressor anyone? - 10/05/12
I have a Ruger Mark III with an integrated suppressor and it's a fun little gun! Loudest thing is the action and if there's a breeze you won't hear it if your not standing next to me
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Suppressor anyone? - 10/05/12
Originally Posted by huntsonora
I have a Ruger Mark III with an integrated suppressor and it's a fun little gun! Loudest thing is the action and if there's a breeze you won't hear it if your not standing next to me

No chit huntsonora, and when my Smith installs a fresh buffer you can barely hear it when yer firing it.

The main noise I can pickup is the small super-sonic crack of the bullet about 80 yards out.

Gunner
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Suppressor anyone? - 10/05/12
Originally Posted by gunner500
Originally Posted by huntsonora

No chit huntsonora, and when my Smith installs a fresh buffer you can barely hear it when yer firing it.

The main noise I can pickup is the small super-sonic crack of the bullet about 80 yards out.

Gunner

I want a .300 whisper next
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Suppressor anyone? - 10/06/12
240 grains of sub-sonic killer right there. wink

Gunner
Posted By: tcb22 Re: Suppressor anyone? - 10/09/12
+1 for the spectre 2. Its a great can
I like my Silencero 22 Sparrow for my Ruger MkIII 22/45. It is quiet and easy to maintain. Check it out, and there are many shows on You Tube on the Sparrow and other Suppressors you can look at to make your decision.

Posted By: JWP58 Re: Suppressor anyone? - 10/21/12
I'd love to get a huntertown arms can. $199 for a suppressor plus the $200 tax stamp isnt out of reach for me...
Posted By: alukban Re: Suppressor anyone? - 10/22/12
If I want quiet then I go .22 Short in a Marlin 39a, no suppressor needed, no extra wait, keep my $200 smile

Posted By: clayhustler Re: Suppressor anyone? - 11/20/12
All are right. I have one Thompson Machine Zephyr XL. The first I have bought. Like it comes apart well for cleaning. I wish I would have got one that would handle 22 mag. or .17 hmr.That is what I would do if I had to do it again. $230 out the door.
Posted By: Bobcape Re: Suppressor anyone? - 11/22/12
Originally Posted by clayhustler
All are right. I have one Thompson Machine Zephyr XL. The first I have bought. Like it comes apart well for cleaning. I wish I would have got one that would handle 22 mag. or .17 hmr.That is what I would do if I had to do it again. $230 out the door.

I just bought the same can on Monday. It was great because my dealer let me bring my S&W MP22 out and shoot my gun with the suppressor to make sure it functioned and I could see the sights. The front sight is inline with the can but not obscured by it. Now the waiting game again.

Bob
Posted By: Nebraska Re: Suppressor anyone? - 11/22/12
The SWR Spectre gets my vote. Here's my son shooting ours.....click on the pic and notice how loud the birds are in the background compared to the report of the Ruger Mark II 22lr.....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: clayhustler Re: Suppressor anyone? - 11/28/12
Ask where dealer if it can handle .22 mag. Just wonder what he sayes. Thanks.
Originally Posted by atomchaser

As stated, either get something that can be completely disassembled for cleaning or all stainless steel. With a sealed stainless model you can use a cleaning solution to remove excess lead and powder residue. My favorite suppressed rifle is an Anschutz 64 match with a 28" barrel and a homemade registered monocore ti can. With subsonics the bullet hitting the target is louder than the shot.
© 24hourcampfire