Home
Posted By: rondrews Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/07/12
On occasion, (Not Frequently) my Ruger 10/22 Magazine misfeeds. I was going to buy a Butler Creek Hot lips Magazine, but after reading the reviews, which are about half against and half pro Butler Creek, I am on the fence. I have the rifle cleaned once a year by a gunsmith. I use about 100 bullets a year on yard pests. I use 36 grain lead hollow point Winchester ammo.
My question is this. Is it something I should just live with, or is there a quick fix, like changing ammo, getting some dry lube into the magazine, etc.?
The Butler creek mag's are so cheap, I am a little concerned that they may not be any better than my Ruger factory Mag.
Any comments are appreciated.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/07/12
factory mags are cheap, too. and everywhere.....
Posted By: wageslave Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/07/12
The only Butler Creek that even half assed works is the Steel Lips.
And remember, I said half assed.
I'd go with the Ruger.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/07/12
Originally Posted by huntsman22
factory mags are cheap, too. and everywhere.....

Exactomundo .... buy a couple and run them through and see if they give you different results. Since you're paying to have your gun gone over every year, seems like real cheap insurance to have some new mags.

If the new mags fix your problem, you can either clean the old ones and use them as spares OR sell them as here on the cheap letting the new owner they will need to be cleaned. Meesa thinks there'd be lotsa folks willing to send you some shekels!
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/07/12
Stay with Ruger Magazines.

I find they are easy to clean. So is the rifle itself.

Here are some instructions FWIW.

http://www.heypete.com/pete/shooting/rugermag.html

Posted By: rondrews Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/08/12
That was a great tutorial on how to clean the Magazine. Thanks much. I'll get on it tomorrow.
Posted By: poboy Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/08/12
Book-marking tutorial. Thanks.
Posted By: Boococky Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/11/12
Butler creek poly (hot) lips dont work worth a crap....the price is appealing, but I would go with the factory mags since there is not a whole lot of diff in price from the SS butlers and the Ruger factory mags
Posted By: US_Patriot Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/12/12
Only Ruger factory mags for my 10/22s.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/12/12
BX-25 ... mucho fun smile
Posted By: toad Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/12/12
i like the clear Ruger mags

[Linked Image]
Posted By: L_Killkenny Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/12/12
Gunsmith to clean and only 100 rounds a year? Something is dreadfully wrong here.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/12/12
ditto......
Posted By: rondrews Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/15/12
I fnally caught it in the act. After a jam, I removed the magazine and the magazine had the cartridge still in the feed slot, but about half-way out and angled upwards. I took a magnifying glass and looked closely at the feed slot and noticed that it was not machined straight, but the further towards the chamber it got, the narrower the feed slot got. I also noticed at the point that it jams, it will hang up when loading. I have to force the bullet in. So I told my wife to get me a BX 25 Ruger mag. for Christmas and if that does it, I'll send this Mag back to Ruger. Thanks for all the suggestions.
Posted By: Sixslug Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 12/15/12
Knowing Ruger, sending that magazine in will surely get you a new correct one. They have Awesome customer service in my experiences...
Posted By: Freedumb1 Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 01/04/13
Originally Posted by Sixslug
Knowing Ruger, sending that magazine in will surely get you a new correct one. They have Awesome customer service in my experiences...

Absolutely.

Enclose a note with your issue, I would be shocked if Ruger didn't send you a new one.
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 01/08/13
I hope a new mag works, things like that can get irritating. On the issue of cleaning, don't waste your time and money on paying a gunsmith. That's money you could be using to shoot. It does not need cleaning yearly by any means. A lot of guys don't clean theirs at all. After all, it is a 10/22, they always work. Buy several different kinds of ammo and try each one to see which one may work and shoot better, then buy a chitload of it. Shoot the crap out of it until you can do it with your eyes closed. A lot more fun then paying someone for something unnecessary.
Buy several different kinds of ammo and try each one to see which one may work and shoot better, then buy a chitload of it.

Ding.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 01/08/13
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Buy several different kinds of ammo and try each one to see which one may work and shoot better, then buy a chitload of it.

Ding.

Good luck finding a chitload anywhere theses days frown
Posted By: Boococky Re: Ruger 10/22 Magazine - 01/09/13
Originally Posted by avagadro
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Ding.

Good luck finding a chitload anywhere theses days frown

Ding.
© 24hourcampfire