Home
Posted By: JT1980 22 ammo gouging - 05/12/13
Last week my local sporting goods store finally got a couple pallets of 22 ammo in stock. It never made it to the shelves. People lined up out the door to buy it up as fast as they could, and it was gone by the time I got off work. Later that evening I logged on to Utah Gun Exchange, and there were hundreds of new listings for 22 ammo. These people purchased the value packs for 21.99 and listed them for 50 to 80 dollars a box!! It's infuriating to me that I can't shoot my 22 anymore, and I refuse to support these gougers by paying them 60 bucks for a box of ammo they purchased that morning for 20! I wish there was a way to stop these individuals from taking advantage of honest sportsman and women!
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/12/13
It's kinda simple. When ammo/components are available buy them. This is not the first time there has been a "shortage" and it won't be the last.

The problem is people forget. When ammo/components do become available again people are always going to stock up later. The problem is they would rather buy booze, boats and crap instead and late never comes. All of sudden they don't have ammo/components again.

Dink
Posted By: EddyBo Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/12/13
The resellers are a big part of the problem IMO. I know guys with hundreds of thousands of rounds with no business liscense selling stuff at huge profits. They are basically creating a problem, then profiting from the solution. I will not support them.
Posted By: TWR Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/12/13
The resellers are the problem.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/12/13
Originally Posted by EddyBo
The resellers are a big part of the problem IMO. I know guys with hundreds of thousands of rounds with no business liscense selling stuff at huge profits. They are basically creating a problem, then profiting from the solution. I will not support them.

Amen brother!! Those sobs have many outlets for distribution as well. Gunshops and pawn shops are letting these guys sell their chit for upwards of $90.00/brick on consignment deals. These guys wait around at local sporting goods stores when they know they are going to get shipments in and buy up all they can get their hands on. They aren't doing any of us a favor mad
Posted By: jimmyp Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/12/13
don't buy it, I won't. If you had a few bricks before this foolishness started you would be better off, and then let them go to hell.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/12/13
While I have little use for those who seek to unreasonably profit at the expense of others, no one is compelled to pay their high prices. If no one was buying, they wouldn't be gouging. Any self-respecting shooter ought to have enough ammo at hand to weather a phase like this without paying scalper prices.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/12/13
Originally Posted by jimmyp
don't buy it, I won't. If you had a few bricks before this foolishness started you would be better off, and then let them go to hell.

I like that wink..I'm lucky because I have about 6 or 7 bricks set asside for personal use. I do feel for others who aren't as fortunate. I also donated about 300 rounds of target ammo to a local club that likes to get kids interested in the shooting sports.
Posted By: mog75 Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/13/13
Almost 1200 ads here. http://www.gunbroker.com/Rifle-Ammunition/BI.aspx?Keywords=22lr
Posted By: dubePA Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/13/13
Yep. I have ammo now, because I wanted to have ammo when it was plentiful and available at the "normal" prices.

Everyone else had that same option at the time ammo was on the shelves. Same with primers and anything else one ought to have on hand at all times.

Coupla years ago, one of our regular indoor 22 shooters grumbled that he couldn't find any CCI SV. Told him repeatedly over a period of several weeks, that the local Dick's had oodles of it. When he finally got around to going there to get some, it was all gone. Whose fault was that???
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/13/13
Originally Posted by TWR

I disagree.

If someone walks up and offers a $100 per bulk pack I am going to sell some. My household could use the money as much as anyone else's. I don't blame people for taking advantage of dumb azzes. Having 22 ammo is not a necessity.

Dink
Posted By: TWR Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/13/13
Originally Posted by DINK
Originally Posted by TWR

I disagree.

If someone walks up and offers a $100 per bulk pack I am going to sell some. My household could use the money as much as anyone else's. I don't blame people for taking advantage of dumb azzes. Having 22 ammo is not a necessity.

Dink

You have every right to be wrong wink
Posted By: fishdog52 Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/13/13
I agree with Dink, the resellers are not the problem, it's the folks doing the panic buying. Somebody else said, "You can't fix stupid."
Were it not for the continued panic buying, this bubble would/will burst overnight.
One of the great marketing techniques to generate profit & sales, is to tell somebody they can't have something. Then they just gotta have it. Think original Coke, gas, primers....
Probably a sorry commentary on our life & times here in the USA.
I have to admit y'all are partly right but what's a guy to do when his kids want to go shoot every weekend? My cousin is a prime example, he has 4 each with their own 10/22 and ponds full of turtles. He went through his stash and I've helped him a little but he still had to curb their shooting cause we ain't paying stupid prices.

Now I spent a couple of weeks going to Walmart at 6:30 am each day to get in line with the same guys each morning. Some of those guys shot it and some sold it but after I suggested the guys who sold it for a profit needed an ass kicking, no one admitted to selling it. smile

I gave all that I bought to my cousin's kids and you can bet he won't get caught short again when this is over.
Posted By: Gohip2000 Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/13/13
I agree the resellers are a major part of the problem. I have no 22 ammo left because I can't afford to stock up on thousands and thousands of rounds, but I refuse to buy any ammo from any place but a legitimate store unless the individual is selling them for the same cost as the store. I won't play those games as I personally feel there is something shady about buying up all the ammo just to sell it for 2 to 4 times the price and keeping others who just want to shoot it from getting any.
Is it legal? yes. Does that mean it's ok. I don't think so.
I say F those gougers and hopefully others have the sense to do the same.
Originally Posted by TWR
I have to admit y'all are partly right but what's a guy to do when his kids want to go shoot every weekend? My cousin is a prime example, he has 4 each with their own 10/22 and ponds full of turtles. He went through his stash and I've helped him a little but he still had to curb their shooting cause we ain't paying stupid prices.

Now I spent a couple of weeks going to Walmart at 6:30 am each day to get in line with the same guys each morning. Some of those guys shot it and some sold it but after I suggested the guys who sold it for a profit needed an ass kicking, no one admitted to selling it. smile

I gave all that I bought to my cousin's kids and you can bet he won't get caught short again when this is over.

It's your cousin faults for not being prepared for his children. I started buying stuff for my boys as soon as I found out they were going to stand up to pee on the ultra sound.

I bet your cousin is like most guys. I bet he was buying $5 coffees, paying $5 for beers at the bar and fishing instead of buying ammo. Because he always knew when they needed a box he would run to wal-mart and by a box for $20 so there was no point in having a few hundred dollars sitting around in ammo.

He got caught and now has to do with out or pay stupid prices.

Dink
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/13/13
That's just fine and dandy, if one has a hoarder mentality. There's a lot more to life than prepping for the next apocalypse. I truly feel sorry for those who are so preoccupied with what might happen that they forget how to live in the here-and-now (which includes doing what's necessary so that doomsday never happens in the first place). Sure, set some ammo aside for a rainy day- who doesn't if they can afford it? Cache tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds with which to fend off the 'have nots'? That's nuts. Taking advantage (by gouging in times of drought) of one's fellow man because they can may be legal, but sure isn't moral. Anyone who does that has the ethics of a snake.

What about the working stiff who is saddled with a mortgage, school expenses, car payments/repair bills, and feeding the hungry mouths under his roof? To expect him to stockpile (hoard) a huge pile of .22 ammo (or any ammo) for a rainy day is ludicrous. To accuse said guy of swilling $5 coffees and blowing the grocery money on beer without knowing him is ludicrous also- and more than a little prejudicial and narrow minded. My late father fitted that description of a working stiff. He couldn't afford to squirrel away more than a box or two of .22's at a time- when a box of .22 ammo cost about 50�, and him being a guy who loved to plink and hunt with a .22. Had this "Big Shortage" happened 50 years ago, he would have been royally screwed and unable to do anything about it. And to think that somewhere out there a stranger would have made light of his plight and accused him of spending his money un-wisely makes me grit my teeth.
Originally Posted by TWR

It's your cousin faults for not being prepared for his children. I started buying stuff for my boys as soon as I found out they were going to stand up to pee on the ultra sound.

I bet your cousin is like most guys. I bet he was buying $5 coffees, paying $5 for beers at the bar and fishing instead of buying ammo. Because he always knew when they needed a box he would run to wal-mart and by a box for $20 so there was no point in having a few hundred dollars sitting around in ammo.

He got caught and now has to do with out or pay stupid prices.

Dink

So is that what lets you sleep at night?

Fact is you couldn't be more wrong, he's a working stiff just like the rest of us. He provides for his wife and kids just fine. Yes he was short on 22 shells but they will all get by without paying stupid prices from those who value the easy dollar.

He don't even drink coffee...
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/13/13
Originally Posted by TWR

Partly, but the dumbazzes who do buy from them show these azzhats that it can be profitable, and that encourages the azzhats to help artificially continue this nonsense.

The main problem is the dumbazzes don't think far enough ahead, and don't keep any ammo around until they want to go shooting.

You don't have to be a "hoarder" to be prepared for life's little hiccups. You just have to have some sense in your effin' head. I've got a couple thousand rounds of .22LR at the house, not because I hoard it, but because I bought it when it was plentiful and reasonably priced, even though I knew I wasn't going to squander it on a pretty Sunday afternoon. That's just good common sense, not hoarding.
I've got a couple thousand rounds of .22LR at the house, not because I hoard it, but because I bought it when it was plentiful and reasonably priced, even though I knew I wasn't going to squander it on a pretty Sunday afternoon. That's just good common sense, not hoarding.

Ding!! smirk

Pardon me for not hating resellers taking advantage of the ill prepared.

Or feeling too sorry for them what put off keeping a reansonable amount of something on hand, that they would eventually use.

We never run out of milk, bread or chit paper because we tend to keep a supply on hand. Okay, she hoards chit paper, but that's a personal problem born of a past trauma she once had to endure.

Not having thousands of rounds of 22 handy, makes little sense to me. Never did? Especially after the shortages of just a coupla years ago. These things tend to run in cycles, more so now than ever. Pay attention, or pay the gougers.
After learning we are just 3-4 days away from the store shelves being empty given a trucker strike or other malfunction in distribution we have learned to keep a few items on hand.

22 shells? Last count I had was over 9000 but my daughter would go through 2 550 packs a weekend back when it was readily available so I picked up a few every chance I got. No different than keeping the tank full.
For quite a few years I've scooped up a few boxes of Wally World Federal 550 Value Packs, whenever I got out that way.

At the moment I still have about 5 or 6 of 'em, plus lots of other stuff, including Wolf MT, Federal Auto Match, WW Dynapoints, Wildcats, Mini Mags, Velocitors and Federal 40gr bricks.

If our club's youth programs needed ammo, we had some. When some kinfolks needed 22 ammo for their grandkids up near my hunting camp, we had 'em.

Many years ago, it was bricks of WW Wildcats that took up shelf space, but my son always had ammo. Then it was small plastic ammo cans of bulk CCI Mini Mags for Christmas and birthdays, when he was old enough to hunt.

I can't think of a time in the past 30 years, that I haven't had at least a few thousand rounds of 22 ammo on hand?

Last summer a club member gave me a box of CCI "Quiet" long rifles to try and said they're hard to find. Sometime later, Walmart had a mess of them in the ammo cabinet. So I bought him a box to replace what he'd given me and bought several more for myself.

After the last ammo shortage fiasco, I stocked up on even more 22 ammo when it became available again, than I normally have. Apparently I was getting prepared for the current ammo shortage and didn't even know it?

whistle
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
That's just fine and dandy, if one has a hoarder mentality. There's a lot more to life than prepping for the next apocalypse. I truly feel sorry for those who are so preoccupied with what might happen that they forget how to live in the here-and-now (which includes doing what's necessary so that doomsday never happens in the first place). Sure, set some ammo aside for a rainy day- who doesn't if they can afford it? Cache tens or hundreds of thousands of rounds with which to fend off the 'have nots'? That's nuts. Taking advantage (by gouging in times of drought) of one's fellow man because they can may be legal, but sure isn't moral. Anyone who does that has the ethics of a snake.

What about the working stiff who is saddled with a mortgage, school expenses, car payments/repair bills, and feeding the hungry mouths under his roof? To expect him to stockpile (hoard) a huge pile of .22 ammo (or any ammo) for a rainy day is ludicrous. To accuse said guy of swilling $5 coffees and blowing the grocery money on beer without knowing him is ludicrous also- and more than a little prejudicial and narrow minded. My late father fitted that description of a working stiff. He couldn't afford to squirrel away more than a box or two of .22's at a time- when a box of .22 ammo cost about 50�, and him being a guy who loved to plink and hunt with a .22. Had this "Big Shortage" happened 50 years ago, he would have been royally screwed and unable to do anything about it. And to think that somewhere out there a stranger would have made light of his plight and accused him of spending his money un-wisely makes me grit my teeth.

I am a working stiff, with a mortgage, a wife and two growing boys to cloth and feed. I work every minute of overtime that I can and used that money to buy ammo/components. I guess people just have to decide what's more important to them.

Dink
Posted By: Calif. Hunter Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/14/13
I learned from the last time, having a son who loves to shoot and hunt. I stocked up whenever I could on whatever bulk ammo was available - even just a brick at a time at Walmart. I have a bunch left, as in thousands of rounds - 20 or 30 bricks at least. We were going to move, so we put most of our stuff in storage to get the house ready to sell. Then I got laid off. Our stuff is still in storage and I just started a new job last Monday. Having been out of work a few months, I hear I won't be able to qualify for a mortgage, even with more than half down.

Now I just have to dig stuff out of storage and find my ammo and components. It didn't cost much to stock up one brick or bulk pack at a time. Course, now junior prefers to shoot a .223, centerfire handgun or shotgun, but I stocked on that ammo a little at a time or reloaded it in my spare time.

Besides - can you imagine what it will be like in So Cal after the big quake hits? Interstates shut down? Trying to fly in food and water for several million people? It is my responsibility to my family to be prepared.

I won't pay the gougers' prices.

To the guy with the kids and turtles - pellets and BBs for air rifles are still around. We shot a ton of those as kids and even as teenagers.
Posted By: JT1980 Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/14/13
The frustration I have is not with people who buy up ammo to put into their storage for their own use. The part that upsets me is that people line up to buy it for retail cost, with the intention of posting it online later that evening for 3x the cost. That's not business, that's selfishness and greed. If you're not going to shoot it or use it yourself... don't buy it just for the intent of screwing over someone else to make a few bucks.
Then when the guy who actually has to work from 9-5 get's off and has a chance to run to the local sporting goods store, there's no ammo. It's all on gunbroker and other websites.
Someone earlier said it right. It might be legal... but it's not moral!
Posted By: aspade Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/14/13
Sellers don't set prices. Buyers do.

$50 a box to a gouger or an empty shelf with a $20 tag on it, take your pick.
Posted By: TomT Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/15/13
I agree with the general sentiment expressed by most on this thread. I've always been a prepared/"2 is 1, and 1 is none" type of guy. I seem to be surrounded by neighbors that are trying to buy generators during a blackout, or snowblowers during a blizzard. Most of them even return said products after the "emergency" event. I consider these people IDIOTS. I even had one neighbor (that I'm not close with) say to me: "you could have run an extension cord to my house during the last blackout". My response was: "are you planning to buy a generator now, so your prepared next time the grid goes down?".... I got a confused look in response. IDIOT! The same holds true re: ammo, I'm not saying people should have pallets of 22LR on hand, but any gun owner that didn't have a few bricks of 22LR on hand before the latest (post Sandy Hook, MORONIC Libretard gun grabbing frenzie) is an IDIOT (there, I said it).

I have no problem with greedy people trying to sell $20 boxes of ammo for 3-4x that price. JUST DON'T BUY IT!
I DO have a problem with sporting good stores large & small that sell LARGE amounts of ammo to one purchaser. I prefer what SOME stores are doing, which is limiting sales to one or two bricks per customer. This allows everyone to purchase a bit (when available) to get through this tough time for shooters.

I'm hoping this blows over soon, but I also hope the current administration goes away, and the Liberals in this Country fall off a cliff. I DON'T expect either to happen, but I can keep hoping.

-TomT
Posted By: rost495 Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/15/13
If there was no demand for ammo, IE if everyone had planned ahead of time, then there would be no problem.... they could price high and no one would buy....

I get caught at times too, just not quite ready to buy components for something I just bought... but thats pretty rare even then.

I've gone now for years, to buying primers in NO less than 5000 at a time. Will be doing same for percussion caps next also.

I wouldn't think of buying 22 less than 5000 at a time. And if I didnt' have at least 5000 or 10000 set aside, I would...

And of course components wise for ammo, lot to lot variations can change things and once I found what I wanted to shoot for a given round, I'll buy basically what it takes to burn that barrel out... component wise.

And I try to stay one year ahead on dove/duck loads to be safe too...
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/15/13
Boy, you guys must be rich to be able to buy stuff in lots of 5-10,000 (.22's, primers, etc.). Not many of us can afford such largess. Must be a matter of priorities- shooting is a high priority for me but not the only one by a long shot. I have a fair amount of components and .22's on hand for a rainy day, and if/when I get dangerously low I'll simply stop shooting for a while and wait 'til the stuff is back on the shelves again. No worries. There's plenty of other ways for me to enjoy the outdoors. Fretting over shortages and panic buying simply are not in my nature. If I can't spend a Saturday blowing through a brick of .22s, I'll go fly fishing instead (unless the panic-ers kill all the trout grin ), or go for a long hike, or go boating, or anything but gnash my teeth over a shortage of shooting supplies.
Posted By: milespatton Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/15/13

Yep, and I am getting a little tired of people bragging about how much they have hoarded. grin miles
Posted By: TWR Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/15/13
wink

It's only hoarding if you never use it...
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/15/13
It's not that people are rich, at least surely not me, but we accumulate slowly over time, just exactly like the better financial advisors advise with money. Pay yourself first � put a little aside regularly.

For the past 2-3 years every time I went to the gunstore I�d buy a brick of primers of some kind or other � LR, SR, LP, SP, whatever � or a box of component bullets, and/or a brick of .22 ammo. Once in a great while I'd splurge and get an 8 pound jug of powder.

Buy one item at a time and do that 40-50 times a year across three years, only spending about $20-25 each time, and when the shortages happen you've got enough to last through the hard times.

It's just saving for a rainy day, the same advice folks have been passing down for generations.
Posted By: dubePA Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/15/13
It's not that people are rich, at least surely not me, but we accumulate slowly over time, just exactly like the better financial advisors advise with money. Pay yourself first � put a little aside regularly.

Sounds familiar? smirk

If I'm in a store that has something I use and I have a few extra bucks, I'll generally buy it for later. It's how I accumulated multiple boxes of Fed. Value Pack ammo from Walmart.

Because I recall buying a few boxes from time to time over the years, then how it was unobtainable the last time we had a "shortage".

So yeah, I have 22 ammo and don't really feel all that much sympathy for those now whining that they cannot find any. I figure everyone else had the same opportunities to buy some when it was plentiful and at a good price, as I did?

If I wanted to be "rich", I'd elect to sell some right now. whistle

There's been an ad in our paper over the past few weeks, for bricks @ $70 and the seller claims to have 14,000 rounds. Positively entreprenurial, ain't it?
Posted By: 10chuckles Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/19/13
Originally Posted by TWR

I disagree.

Dink

I agree. The problem is the people that never planned ahead and continue to stupidly support the gougers. If people didn't buy it the price would come down. This is a free country so sell for whatever people will pay. I'm not upset with the sellers, just the morons that continue to pay the ridiculous prices. Wait it out and learn the lesson. JMHO
Posted By: nsaqam Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/19/13
I'm selling some 22LR at non-gouging prices right now in the Classifieds.
Friends get priority and I'm reserving the right to deny sales to whomever I feel like.

I'm not going to be part of the problem.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/19/13
I learned the lesson of "Be Prepared" many years ago as a Boy Scout. In the case of .22LR ammo, it wasn't hard or expensive.
Posted By: TWR Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/19/13
I guess either many misunderstood my definition of "resellers" or we just come from different cultures.

Those who buy all they can from say Walmart at regular prices and then post it online at a huge profit. Those are the resellers who are causing the problem. Without them, ammo would still be on the shelves and those that wanted it could buy it.

For those that think having a buddy working at Walmart who saves it for you so you can make your huge profit, get a job or open a store. Heck post up here if you're not ashamed to do so. We'd all like to thank you properly.
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/19/13
I don't see that as a problem. Anyone can get there azz out of bed and hit wal-mart at 0700 to buy ammo.

I have wanted a Glock 19 for several years prior to the shooting. I kept putting it off spending my money on rifles. The day it happened I ordered two. It took awhile but i got them, 25 spare mags and 5k rounds of 9mm at pre-panic prices (though I did give to much money for ten mags). It was work and took time but I got what I wanted.

Dink
Posted By: TWR Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/19/13
Figures...
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/19/13
Let me guess your looking for Glock 19 mags?
Posted By: 10chuckles Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/19/13
Originally Posted by TWR
I guess either many misunderstood my definition of "resellers" or we just come from different cultures.

Those who buy all they can from say Walmart at regular prices and then post it online at a huge profit. Those are the resellers who are causing the problem. Without them, ammo would still be on the shelves and those that wanted it could buy it.

For those that think having a buddy working at Walmart who saves it for you so you can make your huge profit, get a job or open a store. Heck post up here if you're not ashamed to do so. We'd all like to thank you properly.

I don't think it's the RESELLERS causing the problem, it''s the people that are guilty of paying the ridiculous gouge prices for the overpriced ammo. Most of us aren't communists and making a profit is how capitalism flourishes. I have no problem someone selling at a profit. We're talking ammo here, not insulin for diabetics or formula for the baby. With very few exceptions, ammo is not a necessity for life like food and water. Wait out the insanity, it will get better or get to Walmart at 930 AM and join in the fun. YMMV.
Posted By: TWR Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/20/13
I'm not looking for anything, I've been through this before.

Sleep well...
Posted By: johnw Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/21/13
If anyone is going out of their way to profit on resale of .22 rimfire ammo, then I pity their poor existence...

I have noticed a lack of available stuff lately, but decided 35 years ago that I used enough of the stuff that I needed to buy it regularly. So I did.

And I still use a lot but not near what i used to. More recently, i have taken to always buying something when I am at a gun shop, to support the business.
There are a handful of gunshops where i always leave with a couple of boxes of .22s in my hand. It adds up...

FWIW I found mini-mag hp on a store shelf saturday for ~$8... left there with my usual 2 boxes...

Posted By: the_shootist Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/22/13
I was in the new Cabelas store in Winnipeg, Manitoba on the weekend, and they had several brands of bulk ammo for $22.95 for 500-525 rounds. Some subsonic for about $3.99 per 50 CT. Seemed like a goodly supply.
Posted By: 700LH Re: 22 ammo gouging - 05/25/13
Supply and demand
Posted By: Dust Re: 22 ammo gouging - 06/15/13
Originally Posted by JT1980
The frustration I have is not with people who buy up ammo to put into their storage for their own use. The part that upsets me is that people line up to buy it for retail cost, with the intention of posting it online later that evening for 3x the cost. That's not business, that's selfishness and greed. If you're not going to shoot it or use it yourself... don't buy it just for the intent of screwing over someone else to make a few bucks.
Then when the guy who actually has to work from 9-5 get's off and has a chance to run to the local sporting goods store, there's no ammo. It's all on gunbroker and other websites.
Someone earlier said it right. It might be legal... but it's not moral!

Supply and Demand is hard for some people here to comprehend.

I found a way to buy ammo at Walmart. I buy ammo that I want to keep. I have to work to get ammo currently. I know that I may or may not get more ammo in the future. It's not as simple as get in car, drive to Walmart, buy ammo, go home. You have to work for it. So i set a price for what I paid plus what time money etc. I used to get the ammo, and how much I think i could replace it for (think gas stations, it doesnt' matter what they paid for the current fuel, just what they think they will have to pay for the next), and put it online. If someone wants to pay the price that I set for the ammo I was going to use anyway, then that is on them. I'm happy keeping it, they are happy buying it. Where is the issue here? I have to replace the ammo, so I take the risk of not having anymore for several weeks to months, and the buyer gets what he/she wants.

If you really think that "flippers" are the problem, consider how many people picked up guns in the last year. Consider how many people realized they didn't have whatever they thought was "enough". Consider how many people have increased "enough". Consider how many people that didn't worry about it now think that the ______ is going to take the ammo away.

The "you should have known better" only applies to veteran shooters that haven't picked up a new caliber. I just picked up a 9mm, and had to find ammo for it. I hadn't planned on getting one, so there was no reason for me to buy 2K rounds for a caliber I don't own 6 years ago.

Originally Posted by TWR

read my above comment. You are ignoring new shooters, hoarders and just in case'ers. I know that most of the people buying alot of ammo are not flippers. The flippers don't come to the local walmart, but the ammo still magically disappears. Funny how that works.

Where do I fit in? I bought a box of Winchester M-22, multiplied the price by 2.5 and a dealer bought it, then multiplied that by 2. Who is more despicable? me, the dealer, or the buyer?
Posted By: TWR Re: 22 ammo gouging - 06/15/13
I've somewhere around 10,000 rounds and am still buying and shooting all I want without paying stupid prices for any of it.

I've been through this before so I keep a good supply of everything on hand. Oh and I hated the gougers then too.

Carry on.
Posted By: WyColoCowboy Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
Originally Posted by 10chuckles

I agree. The problem is the people that never planned ahead and continue to stupidly support the gougers. If people didn't buy it the price would come down. This is a free country so sell for whatever people will pay. I'm not upset with the sellers, just the morons that continue to pay the ridiculous prices. Wait it out and learn the lesson. JMHO

Wait it out? It's been 4 YEARS. When this started, my son was 9 and he's about to turn 14. I had 3 bricks on hand. A 'fire member graciously sent me two bricks to keep my boys shooting a few years ago. I've bought 6 bricks in 4 years. 5 of those were at a Bass Pro grand opening. I have 3 bricks left. The boys and I go shooting about once a month in warmer weather because I refuse to pay gougers. Retailers need to raise the price to meet demand and put the gougers out of business and then drop prices as inventory stacks up. That's capitalism. Keeping the price low, so that gougers can buy and resell is insanity because it allows the gougers to corner the market.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
Your plan doen't sound a bit like Capitalism, more like price fixing. If any coordination was involved, it would likely be illegal.

There's no reasonable excuse to pay gouger prices now. I find plenty of ammo available online at various price levels. A little browsing and signing up for in-stock notifications works just fine and takes less time and gas than hanging out at What-a-Mart hoping to score a couple boxes.
Posted By: deflave Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy

Wait it out? It's been 4 YEARS. When this started, my son was 9 and he's about to turn 14. I had 3 bricks on hand. A 'fire member graciously sent me two bricks to keep my boys shooting a few years ago. I've bought 6 bricks in 4 years. 5 of those were at a Bass Pro grand opening. I have 3 bricks left. The boys and I go shooting about once a month in warmer weather because I refuse to pay gougers. Retailers need to raise the price to meet demand and put the gougers out of business and then drop prices as inventory stacks up. That's capitalism. Keeping the price low, so that gougers can buy and resell is insanity because it allows the gougers to corner the market.

Why don't you just by premium 22LR?

Travis
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
Everyone knows that whining is more fun than shooting, cheaper too.
I love the guys that refuse to try new powder. But also won't buy powder they need because it cost an extra 8 Quarters than in 2008.

Have fun! I'll be at the range.

Travis
Posted By: Gus Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
it's looking more like supply & demand are coming more into balance with the higher end ammo. that's good.

I'm just hesitant to pay those prices if there's any other choice. I've never had the first squirrel complain over the low-end Winchester power points, and cci velocitors. of course none of that stuff is available in my area of the hardwoods.
Originally Posted by Gus
it's looking more like supply & demand are coming more into balance with the higher end ammo. that's good.

I'm just hesitant to pay those prices if there's any other choice. I've never had the first squirrel complain over the low-end Winchester power points, and cci velocitors. of course none of that stuff is available in my area of the hardwoods.

That came into balance about 36 months ago.

Save your pennies. I'd rather shoot.

Travis
Posted By: Gus Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
actually I don't even know what the market supplies in terms of high-end hollow point ammo, both sub-sonic and high velocity types.

Originally Posted by Gus
actually I don't even know what the market supplies in terms of high-end hollow point ammo, both sub-sonic and high velocity types.

Get with the fugkin' times dude.

Travis
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
Yep, for the prices suckers are paying for bricks of "gouger priced" cheap ammo, they could be shooting much better stuff--which was rarely found on the shelves of the average sporting goods store anyway.

It's always interesting to read rants about not finding .22 ammo in local stores on an Internet forum. You can shop the whole country with the same computer, without burning any gas.
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, for the prices suckers are paying for bricks of "gouger priced" cheap ammo, they could be shooting much better stuff--which was rarely found on the shelves of the average sporting goods store anyway.

It's always interesting to read rants about not finding .22 ammo in local stores on an Internet forum. You can shop the whole country with the same computer, without burning any gas.

Stop being mean.

They're better off not shooting. Which is what they'd probably do regardless.

Travis
Posted By: battue Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
Some seem to believe re-sellers are a new indication of our condition as a Country. History tell us otherwise. Try 1849 and the California gold rush. Nothing new here other than a repeat of you want it, I have it and this is what it costs.

I suspect a person with a healthy flock of chickens made more than many of the miners who where hoping to strike it rich.

$36 for a shovel, I bet there was a lot of complaining going on then as now with .22lr. History repeats, then repeats, etc....
Nothing new.

Eventually some re-seller got stuck with a bunch of shovels they couldn't get rid of. wink

http://ports.parks.ca.gov/pages/22922/files/worksheet-goldrushprices.pdf
Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
I have started to see 22lr on the shelves at the local Chinamart.
I was just at the Dundee, MI Cabela's and they have raised their purchase limits from 100 to 1200 rounds and they have 50 and 100 packs on the shelves. The floor salesmen noted they are starting to see more and more deliveries.

a low price is now 8 cents a round and typical 10 so I would not pay anyone more then that for potting rounds.

But the signs are that things are easing up.

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
WyColoCowboy: I made note of the start of the 22 L.R. "shortage" - it began in October of 2,012 when it became apparent barrack hussein obama would be re-elected!
This shortage has NOT subsided since.
That was 35 months ago.
OR... going on three full years.
I agree with everything else you posted though.
I got up at zero dark thirty this morning to drive 90 miles (each way) through the Rocky Mountains to be first in line at a sporting goods stores annual Hunters Rendevous Sale.
I was able to purchase 1 (ONE!) of 4 "buckets" of Remington 22 L.R. H/P Golden Bullets - that bucket held 1,400 rounds of ammo and cost me $99.99!
I asked one of my travelmates who doesn't use 22 ammo to buy a 235 pack of Winchester 22 L.R. H/P's for me at $15.99.
So with this I have enough new ammo for 1/3 of next years Ground Squirrel season, for me.
Again I am quite certain that October of 2,012 was when the rimfire shortage began here in the west and northwest where I travel often and extensively.
By the way that Remington ammo today came out to 7.1 cents per round!
I cringed at that price but felt lucky to get it - those few buckets of ammo lasted maybe 2 minutes once the customers were let in.
NO 17 Mach2 ammo on hand at all.
Good supply of 17 HMR ammo though at $10.99 per 50 or $109.90 per 500 pack.
Some other 22 L.R. ammo was available but sold quickly.
I hope this shortage is over sometime during what is left of my lifetime - irregardless of WHEN it started.
I hope you can replenish the young mans ammo supply soon.
Sadly (for my peace of mind and for the Ground Squirrels!) several of my Varminting friends and acquaintances were reduced to Hunting them with non-hollowpoint 22 rimfire ammo of recent.
And that was not a pleasant situation!
But, they could only come up with round nose ammo or round nose standard velocity etc, etc, etc.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: Certifiable Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
Flave we chatted a while ago about this but why more people don't shoot TAC I have no idea. Since I first tried it in my 82G, I've acquired 15-20 bricks of same without breakin a sweat.
An honest comparison would have it $10-15 more per brick than all the other "bulk" ammo and accuracy can border on insane..

Craziest thing is it's available pretty much all the time
Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
Also I have been sending 17 supers down range for a while now. Lots of that on the shelves. True it is 30 cents a round but it can also reach out to touch someone at 250 yards
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/22/15
VarmintGuy,

So you're still charging around Montana in your vehicle looking for ammo. You $100 for the 1400 rounds of .22 Golden Bullet HP's, and probably $40 in gas. That comes out to 10 cents a round.

In the past two months I've found 2 bricks of the same ammo on the Internet, and with shipping it came out to 6 cents a round. Do the math.

Posted By: deflave Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/23/15
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Flave we chatted a while ago about this but why more people don't shoot TAC I have no idea. Since I first tried it in my 82G, I've acquired 15-20 bricks of same without breakin a sweat.
An honest comparison would have it $10-15 more per brick than all the other "bulk" ammo and accuracy can border on insane..

Craziest thing is it's available pretty much all the time

I have some of it but not a lot.

One thing this goat fugk we call a president has cured me of, is shooting schitty 22LR ammo. The peasants can have it.

Travis
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/23/15
Yep. I still acquire some of the cheap (as in schitty) .22 LR from time to time, but only because I have to report on ALL kinds of .22 ammo. If it were up to me I'd only shoot the better .22 ammo, or .17 HMR.
Posted By: deflave Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/23/15
John,

Check out my breakfast this morning. Roll of Jimmy Dean. Bag of tater tots. Dozen eggs. UBER.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/23/15
Looks GOOD!

We just got our kitchen back together after a total remodel, and it is amazing how being able to COOK again uplifts the spirits.

And of course uplifting a Tumbleweed (another form of spirits) helps too. And I am in the middle of doing that.
Posted By: deflave Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
Having no kitchen can really make a family appreciate having a kitchen. That is for certain.

Travis
Posted By: toad Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
wow, no smoke there?

I have shot mostly Stingers for years. if I can't get them, I go to CF, .223 out of the "60 gr. NBT in once fired LC" bucket or .45 auto out of the "200 gr. cast in some sort of Mil brass" bucket..
toad,

It was real bad Friday. But the winds kicked up to 30-40 and blew all that schit out of here. Calmed down again Saturday evening and it was gorgeous again.

Smoke was creeping back into the Bear Paws around noon yesterday though.

Travis
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
I must have missed something... TAC 22 ammo?? Where is this made..

Deflave, When you talk about not shooting cheap ammo, what is your favorite..?? Haven't bought a lot of .22 ammo since this crap started.. But did buy some for folks who couldn't locate any, but they never showed up to pick it up.. So I will shoot it away...
Your breakfast did look UBER, but those eggs NEED PEPPER!!!
You choice of breakfast beer was infinitely better than my pal, he had Miller MGD!!
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
Mule Deer: I "charge around Montana (and the west!)" for multiple reasons and while doing so I always check for rimfire ammo along the way.
I hope that's okay with you?
Make NO mistake the $115.00 on 22 ammo I spent was not all I shelled out there at the wonderful annual Hunters Rendevous!
I also purchased a spotting scope, some Ruger MK-II magazines, a Bushnell window mount, a Remington bolt action 22, an 8 pack of WONDERFUL fried chicken from the store there in Ennis... THEN we went to a couple of high end (upscale!) garage sales there where we really unleashed some bucks - but most of those items were non-gun related except for a new Leatherman tool I got for a pittance!
By the way three of us shared the gas for my family truckster (Chevy Malibu V-6 which gets 33 to 34 miles per gallon) so the fuel price was negligible - $5.00 or so for me.
Math is done - I will keep travellin and lookin its fun and stimulates the economy and the participants.
And by the way, by the way, my friend from Big Sheep Creek came by yesterday after church and saw my bucket'o ammo and offered me $25.00 more than I paid for it.
I told him I would think about it.
By the way, by the way, by the way was that ammo you FOUND on the internet hollow-point stuff?
I am only interested in hollow-points for my own use.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VG, Check Natchez, my pal and his son scored on some CCI mini mag htps just the other day.. I think they were allowed 600 rds..
Posted By: Certifiable Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
WCH, bullets.com has TAC in stock and tho they can KMA with their no sales to CA policy, their price is the best. There's just no way I'll pay even 40 a brick when TAC is 55 and worth every penny of that.

Of course we know what shines in my rifles may not in yours but you owe It to yourself to give it a shot. 40-50 for the true "bulk" stuff is a joke..

I'll pay a little extra for CCI SV because it too has excelled in a few of my guns but that's about it. If you get some let us know how you like it..
Thanks.. I will check this out..
Posted By: avagadro Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
Originally Posted by deflave
John,

Check out my breakfast this morning. Roll of Jimmy Dean. Bag of tater tots. Dozen eggs. UBER.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now dat's a yummy looking breakfast! Typical 'Flave fare?
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
If you guys can't get HPs, get Paco Kellys ATS system flat pointer. Those flat point bullets stop a critter right now.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
I ran a bunch of that TAC 22 stuff this past weekend out of my 10/22 and my M77/22. Both rifles shot it really well.
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
VarmintGuy,

Sounds like you had a great time, a lot more fun than surfing the Internet. Good deal on sharing the gas!

Yeah, the two "bricks" I got were both HP's, 1050 total rounds. The prices on the two averaged out to $25.50, but with shipping the total price for both was a little over $60.

Posted By: dubePA Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
Since somebody brought up breakfast cackleberries during a grumble 'bout gouging for ammo - let's jabber about $4 a dozen eggs.

eek
Posted By: 5sdad Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
Somehow, they're still $1.29 at Kwik Star.
Posted By: add Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
This is what throwing up on your keyboard, looks like...

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
WyColoCowboy: I made note of the start of the 22 L.R. "shortage" - it began in October of 2,012 when it became apparent barrack hussein obama would be re-elected!
This shortage has NOT subsided since.
That was 35 months ago.
OR... going on three full years.
I agree with everything else you posted though.
I got up at zero dark thirty this morning to drive 90 miles (each way) through the Rocky Mountains to be first in line at a sporting goods stores annual Hunters Rendevous Sale.
I was able to purchase 1 (ONE!) of 4 "buckets" of Remington 22 L.R. H/P Golden Bullets - that bucket held 1,400 rounds of ammo and cost me $99.99!
I asked one of my travelmates who doesn't use 22 ammo to buy a 235 pack of Winchester 22 L.R. H/P's for me at $15.99.
So with this I have enough new ammo for 1/3 of next years Ground Squirrel season, for me.
Again I am quite certain that October of 2,012 was when the rimfire shortage began here in the west and northwest where I travel often and extensively.
By the way that Remington ammo today came out to 7.1 cents per round!
I cringed at that price but felt lucky to get it - those few buckets of ammo lasted maybe 2 minutes once the customers were let in.
NO 17 Mach2 ammo on hand at all.
Good supply of 17 HMR ammo though at $10.99 per 50 or $109.90 per 500 pack.
Some other 22 L.R. ammo was available but sold quickly.
I hope this shortage is over sometime during what is left of my lifetime - irregardless of WHEN it started.
I hope you can replenish the young mans ammo supply soon.
Sadly (for my peace of mind and for the Ground Squirrels!) several of my Varminting friends and acquaintances were reduced to Hunting them with non-hollowpoint 22 rimfire ammo of recent.
And that was not a pleasant situation!
But, they could only come up with round nose ammo or round nose standard velocity etc, etc, etc.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: add Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
If it could type, this is how camel after-birth would express itself...

Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Mule Deer: I "charge around Montana (and the west!)" for multiple reasons and while doing so I always check for rimfire ammo along the way.
I hope that's okay with you?
Make NO mistake the $115.00 on 22 ammo I spent was not all I shelled out there at the wonderful annual Hunters Rendevous!
I also purchased a spotting scope, some Ruger MK-II magazines, a Bushnell window mount, a Remington bolt action 22, an 8 pack of WONDERFUL fried chicken from the store there in Ennis... THEN we went to a couple of high end (upscale!) garage sales there where we really unleashed some bucks - but most of those items were non-gun related except for a new Leatherman tool I got for a pittance!
By the way three of us shared the gas for my family truckster (Chevy Malibu V-6 which gets 33 to 34 miles per gallon) so the fuel price was negligible - $5.00 or so for me.
Math is done - I will keep travellin and lookin its fun and stimulates the economy and the participants.
And by the way, by the way, my friend from Big Sheep Creek came by yesterday after church and saw my bucket'o ammo and offered me $25.00 more than I paid for it.
I told him I would think about it.
By the way, by the way, by the way was that ammo you FOUND on the internet hollow-point stuff?
I am only interested in hollow-points for my own use.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Originally Posted by avagadro

Oh yeah. Package of Jimmy Dean's sauseege. Bag of tater tots. Dozen eggs.

UBER.

Travis
Originally Posted by dubePA
Since somebody brought up breakfast cackleberries during a grumble 'bout gouging for ammo - let's jabber about $4 a dozen eggs.

eek

I just wake up before the other campers and hit their coolers.

Travis
Posted By: whelennut Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/24/15
Just buy your kid an air rifle.
Kids don't need a 1022 to learn how to waste ammo.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/25/15

I just wake up before the other campers and hit their coolers.
Travis

do you leave little raccoon paw prints on the cooler to throw them off your trail?

I've got 3 teenage growing boys who go through eggs like it's pop corn. on the plus side my kids eat healthy and are in great shape, on the minus side, eating healthy gets expensive! anyway back to the ammo thread.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 22 ammo gouging - 08/25/15
Originally Posted by avagadro

Oh yeah. Package of Jimmy Dean's sauseege. Bag of tater tots. Dozen eggs.

UBER.

Travis

Mc'Flave?
© 24hourcampfire