Home
Posted By: Nessmuk Best small scope for 22's? - 11/27/13
I have decided to rectify a past mistake and replace the Anshutz I sold years ago. I'd like to put a smaller size scope on it. I think large objective scopes look wrong on a classy, trim rifle. What is out there?
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 11/27/13
leupold rimfire. Either a 4x, 2-7x, or 3-9x EFR, with the fixed 4x being the smallest of the 3.

I've got the 2-7x rimfire on a CZ 455 american, and it is near bout a perfect combo.
yep, the 2-7x in leupold, redfield, nikon, weaver is about perfect..

I have the 2-7x redfields and leupolds on top of my CZ 452's and BRNO 22LR rifles.

dave
Corelokt: I also recommend the "classy" Leupold 3x9 EFR (either the Ultra-Light or the Rimfire versions) it will really set that Anschutz "off".
I had an Anschutz in 22 Magnum several years back and that is the scope I had on it.
Great looking rig it was.
Best of luck with the "renewal" project.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: RickF Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 11/28/13
By far my favourite "small" scope for a rimfire is the Leupold 6X36 matte with LR reticle. Parallax it for 50 yards. Great optics in that scope.

Zerod at 50 yards, the dots in mine with WW Power Points are on at 75 and 110 yards. Pretty slick.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: orion03 Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 11/28/13
I like the little Leupolds too, but I've found the old K4 Weavers to be a perfect 22 scope.
Not what I consider small, but the Leupold VX2 4-12 AO is very nice for targets without being obnoxiously big.
[Linked Image]
The Leupold 4X rimfire special is the cat's azz for small rifles.

I have one on a CZ Scout and it is the perfect size for a small rifle.

Virgil B.
I like the looks of a VX3 1.5-5 Leupold on a 22.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 11/28/13
Hey RH ,what brand and model is that rifle ?,very sharp looking rig
Look out for a 2 1/2x Leupold Alaskan scope
Posted By: rta48 Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 11/28/13
I have the Leupy 3x9 rimfire on my little Cooper and love it.
Posted By: drover Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 11/28/13
Originally Posted by orion03
I like the little Leupolds too, but I've found the old K4 Weavers to be a perfect 22 scope.

Me too. They always seemed to be just the right size and the finish on the old K4 steel tube Weavers have a finish that comes very near to matching the bluing.

I was fortunate enough to run into a new in the box K4 a few years ago and it now rest in a place on honor on my Cooper 57M 22 sporter.

drover
Originally Posted by RickcNY
Hey RH ,what brand and model is that rifle ?,very sharp looking rig

1416 Anschutz. Not too shabby a shooter either. Here is a good 50 yard 5 shot target. They aren't all that good but when everything comes together, the rifle is capable.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: RDW Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 11/29/13
You can re-set the parallax on Leupold scopes yourself if you want to use non-rimfire scope. I did this on a VX-II 3x9 Ultralight, I am thinking hard about a VX-2 CDS for my Cooper.
Posted By: RickcNY Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 11/29/13
Thanks RH ,that's my kind of rifle beautiful and a super shooter as well ,I may have to find one
I only paid $600 for mine NIB several years ago. My CZ 453 is 90% of the 1416(64 action) for about $500. A new 1415 is just north of $1000 now. If I was going to spend that kind of cash, I would look for a used 54 action Annie 1710 or 1712 or one of the older Savage imports with 54 actions. The 54 is a much heavier action and in at least the top three or four for most accurate factory rimfires in the world.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
leupold rimfire. Either a 4x, 2-7x, or 3-9x EFR, with the fixed 4x being the smallest of the 3.

I've got the 2-7x rimfire on a CZ 455 american, and it is near bout a perfect combo.

I concur. The most important thing is to make sure you have a scope on a .22 that is set parallax free for 50 yards. Most scopes are set to be parallax free at 150 yds and are meant for big game hunting. A .22 is really a 50 yd round and should have a scope that is set parallax free at that range. There are 6X competition scopes with adjustable objectives that would work but they tend to have real fine xhairs or small dots that can be difficult to see in a hunting situation.
Posted By: cdb Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 12/06/13
Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 AO.
Many reviews on Rimfire Central
Posted By: n8dawg6 Re: Best small scope for 22's? - 12/06/13
Originally Posted by cdb
Clearidge Ultra RM 3-9x32 AO.
Many reviews on Rimfire Central

I have these on two of my .22's, and they are very good scopes. especially for the coin. they are larger than the leupold rimfires, though, if we're talking about a "small" scope for a .22.

and the post above about having parallax set for 50 is an important point. just slapping a regular Leupold or Redfield 2-7x32 or 3-9x40 on a .22 can be done, but i've found it to be very frustrating for target shooting at 50 because the parallax on those scopes is set for 100 yds plus.

bear in mind that the Leupold EFR and the clearidge both have adjustable parallax, which is a nice feature.
Don't forget though that Leupold will change the parallax to 50 yards on most of their scopes for about $30.
I have a Weaver V-24 on my Cooper with the sun shade on. I think the Cooper can take a big scope and not look out of place. (I used to compete with it at local benchrest matches and never changed it out.) The Leupold RF suggestions are good ones.
If you have a very accurate rimfire, the fun of small targets and tiny groups on paper can make the larger , higher magnification scopes look a lot better.
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
If you have a very accurate rimfire, the fun of small targets and tiny groups on paper can make the larger , higher magnification scopes look a lot better.

I agree. A 4X Weaver on my Ruger 77/22 was a sleek profile, but I swapped it out 3 or 4 years ago for a Bushnell Banner, Dusk & Dawn 3.5 - 10 x 36mm, AO.
The rimfire leupold's are sized appropriately, unless they have changed in the last couple of years they are the vx-1's that do not have the click adjustments.

For less money (around $130- 140) I like the weaver Rimfires; the 4X and the 2-7X.

Jerry
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
The rimfire leupold's are sized appropriately, unless they have changed in the last couple of years they are the vx-1's that do not have the click adjustments.

For less money (around $130- 140) I like the weaver Rimfires; the 4X and the 2-7X.

Jerry

I agree 100%. There's nothing wrong with Leupold rimfire scopes like their 4x28, but they're almost twice as expensive as a Weaver 4x28. Both have an excellent reputation, but you can save money going with the Weaver and spend it on something else.
Another vote for the Leupold Rimfire in 2x7
© 24hourcampfire