Home
Traded into this 22 lately. Had a 17HMR that I rarely shot because I could reload for my 223 cheaper than I could buy 17s. This thing is a shooter. It is a M77/22 Target model. Anyone else have much experience with these? Opinions?

[Linked Image]

100yd group
[Linked Image]

ammo used
[Linked Image]
Nice lookin' .little rifle. I see squirrel head shots written all over that one!
You lucked out on that one. None of my rimfires will shoot that super speed stuff worth a hoot.
You did good. I have the same rifle and it shoots great. I'm thinking you got the better end of the deal. Have you tried any of the hornady defensive loads. I think they are 45 grainers
Looks like you got a good one. Both in looks and accuracy.
That is a real nice looking rifle
first time you go prairie doggin', you'll be missing the heck outta the HMR.....
Originally Posted by huntsman22
first time you go prairie doggin', you'll be missing the heck outta the HMR.....

No prairie dogs around here local. I'd love to go after them someday, but it will definitely be a planned hunt and I've got a 204 Ruger and several 22CFs for that purpose.

Originally Posted by catskinner
You did good. I have the same rifle and it shoots great. I'm thinking you got the better end of the deal. Have you tried any of the hornady defensive loads. I think they are 45 grainers

Haven't seen those loads, may have to look into them.
Hornaday currently does not manufacture any .22 Long Rifle ammo. The Critical Defense load is for .22 Winchester Magnum Rimfire (.22 WMR).
Looks nice. I traded one away like an idiot about 3 years ago. What a dumb move on my part.
77/22 is hands down my favorite .22 and your target is beautiful. What scope do you have on there?
Originally Posted by JR270
77/22 is hands down my favorite .22 and your target is beautiful. What scope do you have on there?

At the moment it's got a Swift Premier 3-9x50 up top. Now that I've seen how well it shoots, I might upgrade to a 6x or 10x SWFA SS to do some target shooting out at longer distances.
I had one in .22 Magnum until I loaned it to number one Son. Wears a Leupold M8 6X. Installed a trigger spring kit. A good shooter but a tad heavy.
Putting an SS on there would be great. Tough choice between 6x and 10x though. Have fun.
Purchased a stainless steel international 77/22 late in the fall. Not much chance to shoot it. Seems to shoot pretty well. The newer rifles with the barrels threaded into the receiver seem to be more accurate than the v block style. My 77/17 is extremely accurate. With no wind typically around 3/4 inch at 100 yards.
I've got a 77/22 Mag that is a shooter also. If your 77/22 has the V block barrel attachment ala the 10/22, you have many options as far as what you can shoot from it. The barrel, trigger guard and magazine can easily be changed to allow you to use 22 Mag or 17 HMR in your rifle. A 17 M2 will just require a barrel change, since you already have a 22 LR.
I have the 22 Mag version and an extra factory 17 HMR barrel I found on Ebay. Both easily shoot MOA. I've drooled over the SS International 22 LR model and just wish Ruger would bring it out in left hand! Prone and off the bench I don't mind using a right hand action but as a practice/understudy for my LH centerfires, it sucks. Come on Ruger, you make the Hawkeye in left hand, throw us a bone!
Yes. Ive had one for years. I bought the first 77/22 I could get my hands on and in '97 when the varmint came out, I bought one�.been using it ever since. Bar none, the BEST .22 Ive ever shot. Mine likes CCI Mini mags and Federal American Eagles, both in HP.

Couldn't tell you how many rounds are down the tube, but Im sure Ive killed gophers in the thousands with it�.
I bought one for my older son in 97 when he graduated high school. Put a Timney kit in it a couple of years later. Easy job that made a major difference.
As for those SS RSIs, I handled one the other day. Very nice, with good, clean inletting. Would look great with a Leupold 1-4 or 1.5-5 on it. Fit of the muzzle cap was excellent AND it was really steel! $715 @ LGS.
© 24hourcampfire