Home
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2014/04/why-cant-i-find-22-lr-ammunition-sierra-vp-speaks-out/

One guys opinion, think I can get behind it.
IMO, the demand is driven more by "hoarders" than new shooters.

A year and a half, or two, ago the shelves were full of 22. Now the factory's are going at it 24/7 and we are just starting to see it getting caught back up?

I don't think that many new shooters flooded the market. Most gun owners likely don't shoot much at all. A couple bricks would likely last 80% of 22 owners a lifetime. Obviously pulling #'s outta my ass, but I bet its not far off.

The fact is 22lr is incredibly cheap. It is affordable for nearly everyone to buy cases and cases of the stuff, and its small enough to fit in a closet. Lots of these people are morons who simple cant afford 50k rounds of 223 or 308.

We are just in a stampede. Soon the dust will settle and the ammo makers are gonna be competing with Billy Joe and the rest of the prepped gang for 22 market share. That's why you don't see new manufacturing being set up.
I'd agree MM..I don't believe it's caused by "new shooters"..the numbers say gun ownership is up, but not enough to cause this situation. For what it's worth, there is nothing to be found here at all.. Guy will say they had a few boxes couple days ago but gone in a minute etc...same old story..same guys lining up in the AM...

Think it's just part human nature too in that people who aren't hoarders by any stretch will buy whatever they happen to come across just because they figure, this may be my last chance to score any for 6 months...

I'm pretty decent on .22 but if I walked into Walmart and saw a brick or three on the shelf I would buy it for sure.. Simply to replace what I've shot up. But I haven't seen any on the shelf for who knows how long now.
the demand does not correlate to actual shooting, thats fer dang sure. in fact, I've seen a whole lot LESS .22 shooting since the panic started, since everybody is scared to use their "stash". its a humorous situation from a distance, like watching a train wreck, or a bunch of lemmings running off a cliff
I shoot more rimfire now than I ever did. It all started with the centerfire shortage and price hikes starting in 2008, which made me transition to shooting rimfires more. I have since learned that rimfire bulk pack ammo is not as reliable as the 50 and 100 round box good stuff, and I hope to have my remaining bulk pack ammo all gone downrange by the time supply stabilizes. I am not sitting an a "stash". I bought it to shoot it.
This whole thing is more of an "inconvenience" and PITA for me. I have not bought any .22 ammo since the "incident" except for friends who didn't have any stocked away (not hoarded!)

I am more frustrated by the lack of a simple, obvious explanation. I have listened to all of the hypotheses and speculation... things just don't seem to add up to me. I don't see more .22 shooters at the range, hunting rabbits, etc. I see less. I don't see that many people standing in line at Wal Mart at 7AM!!! (I even tried it 3 or 4 days myself and showed up to find no one and guess what... no ammo shipments any of those day). I do see some at scalper's prices on the local internet sites and some occasionally at the $50 (pseudo-scalper) prices in a few gun stores... they don't last long.

If it truly is just "hoarding", I don't want to be around when something truly essential like food or water ends up in real short supply for whatever reason. I thought about this a lot on a recent (thankfully short )trip to S. Calif. recently. No supply of .22 ammo would help you through that one I'm afraid.
All I can add is that I have some 22 ammo on back order from one of my ammo suppliers for over a year. I called them in March to wish my order a happy anniversary.

Since I have a job and can't show up on ammo refresh day at WalMart or Dicks, I have not seen a single round of 22 ammo on the shelf of any of my local suppliers since late 2012.

A few years ago I moved away from center fire to rimfire to save money. Now when I search on line I can find 223 ammo for about the same price as 22 ammo - at least the 22 ammo that is in stock. It's very frustrating/discouraging.
Check with Shrapnel.
I believe I'll call a lot of BS in this thread.
Come on Butch......BS on what?

Don't get shy!
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
how so?
Originally Posted by Certifiable
how so?
Originally Posted by Certifiable
how so?

Certifiable,
It is just the same as 100 such threads all over the net. Just a bunch of bored people posting with little facts.
100 such threads all over the net

more than that whistle
"It is just the same as 100 such threads all over the net. Just a bunch of bored people posting with little facts."

Butch,

Taken in light of this not being just a .22 rimfire shortage but also a powder and to a lesser extent a primer shortage... the comments by those in the industry is relevant. But your right in that they seem to be doing some guessing!

If you read the last(?) comment in the above thread you will see a response by Powder valley. He may be bored as he is not selling much powder these day's, but i would probably call him a concerned business man who according to his post (and within the scope of his business) is in contact with the U.S. powder distributors (Hogdon, Win., etc).

Same with sierra bullets... this has to have an impact on them, if you can not buy any powder or (to a lesser extent) primers there is a going to be a limit to your bullet sales.

Not in the same league, but a couple of months ago I stopped at my local dealer who of course had zero .22 ammo. He had called CCI to try and order a pallet of rimfire. They refused, told him of the incredible amount of rimfire ammo that they were manufacturing and gave him the number of some of their wholesalers, whom he called with no luck (I don't recall if they had no rimfire or he was last on the list).

Jerry
Butch-
You're right, lots of speculation.
In lieu of hard facts all we can do is apply reason and speculate. That's all I attempt to do.

FWIW- just stopped by the store and they had 22 on the shelf. No lines, no crazy people.
A short while ago I ordered some .22 WMR Short Barrel Gold Dots from Midway to replace some I gave to a friend plus some extra. I ordered a brick of Blazer .22 LR from Cabela's Monday and received it yesterday. (That won't replace what I gave away last week.) Both Cabela's and Midway had bricks of Norma TAC-22 available earlier today, but I didn't order any. So, there is stuff out there. Cabela's in particular keeps getting supplies, but the one container per order limit makes me not want to order anything unless the container is a brick or the ammo is something I really need.

I don't have time to camp out at stores.
Why no statement from a manufacturer?
You'd think after all this time one of them would at least put forth an official statement.
They have.

ATK, Olin's, Freedom Group....

They all say the same thing. The civilian demand is driving the shortage. They are cranking out all they can but there has been a huge run in the civilian market.

It's simply a stampede.
http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...-whos-to-blame-for-ammo-shortage-yo.aspx
Butch, no boredom here, and no great conspiracy theories.. I just gave my opinion based on what I see in my area. I even admitted I'd like the opportunity to contribute to the problem a smidge cool
I'm truly envious of people that can walk into their locals and find it in stock at normal prices, but it just ain't happening here.
I bought the majority of my rimfire a while back. I continue to order a small amount from Dan Killough. I just email Dan and tell him what I would like. It comes a little later. I have never waited for the last minute.
Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
"It is just the same as 100 such threads all over the net. Just a bunch of bored people posting with little facts."

Butch,

Taken in light of this not being just a .22 rimfire shortage but also a powder and to a lesser extent a primer shortage... the comments by those in the industry is relevant. But your right in that they seem to be doing some guessing!

If you read the last(?) comment in the above thread you will see a response by Powder valley. He may be bored as he is not selling much powder these day's, but i would probably call him a concerned business man who according to his post (and within the scope of his business) is in contact with the U.S. powder distributors (Hogdon, Win., etc).

Same with sierra bullets... this has to have an impact on them, if you can not buy any powder or (to a lesser extent) primers there is a going to be a limit to your bullet sales.

Not in the same league, but a couple of months ago I stopped at my local dealer who of course had zero .22 ammo. He had called CCI to try and order a pallet of rimfire. They refused, told him of the incredible amount of rimfire ammo that they were manufacturing and gave him the number of some of their wholesalers, whom he called with no luck (I don't recall if they had no rimfire or he was last on the list).

Jerry

I'm actually sitting on about 10 bricks of Federal bulk, but with a 40x it takes a while to burn through it (haven't loaded my 10/22 in years). I think I am keeping the bullet manufacturers afloat. Haven't seen any 22lr on the shelf in about a year, powder is spotty to non-existant, primers and brass is hard to find, and I'm sitting OK on 45 acp. Nothing left to buy but bullets.....

Kaiser Norton
I think the article just about nailed it. In the last 16 months I've bought 300 rounds of 22 LR from in store. If I'm in a store that sells 22 ammo I check it out and it's been near non-existent. I've definitely shot more from my supply than I've been able to replenish, which is disheartening.

The local Wal-Mart hasn't had any in stock during those 16 months, but I came close last night. I was talking to the clerk at the sporting goods counter and she said they get ammo every 2 to 3 weeks and 10 to 20 boxes at a time. They never know what they are going to get or how much. The night before they had gotten about 20 boxes in, she didn't say if they were bulk packs, 50 round or 100 round boxes, it didn't matter as they were gone.

What was left was 2 boxes of 22 mag, and even though I don't have a mag, it crossed my mind briefly to buy them anyway...SICK!

I don't need any 22 ammo, I've got a pretty good supply, but there are some flavors that I don't have that I would like to try. But even in good times I'm not going to find these on local shelves.
I have not had a lot of trouble finding .22 ammo. Most retailers listed here are out, unless you get lucky.
I don't shop Walmart, can't stand the place.
As I travel I get into various gun shops and small town hardwares. I will buy ammo when the price is not scalping.
I find a bit in Farm & Fleet and Fleet Farm as well as similar type of stores. Holiday, gas station,liquor store, gun shop combination stores , one of my favorite type . Even feed stores in the country.
Lately I bought on the net 4000 rounds .22 Winchester Automatic for my 1903. I have recently bought 3000 rounds Remington 5 MM . Both made by Aquilla.
I have noticed the powder and primers are getting skimpy on the shelf too. There are not too many outfits here in Austin that sell reloading supplies, Cabelas is too far to drive to on a regular basis. But the ones that do carry it have practically nothing now for re-loaders. I can purchase .22 rf. but there is only a few boxes available at my local gun stores and at high prices.

I am ok on .22, but every time I take some out to shoot my inventory shrinks, and if I use my center fire guns that I handload for it could be along wait to buy powder, etc. I sure hope there is no panic buying on pellet guns as that is what I mostly shoot now. I am out of black powder for my muzzle loader, but may have to concentrate on shooting it for the next year with my pellet guns. This whole .22 shortage is going way too long, a year and a half with no foreseeable letup.
Originally Posted by lundtroller
This whole thing is more of an "inconvenience" and PITA for me. I have not bought any .22 ammo since the "incident" except for friends who didn't have any stocked away (not hoarded!)

I am more frustrated by the lack of a simple, obvious explanation. I have listened to all of the hypotheses and speculation... things just don't seem to add up to me. I don't see more .22 shooters at the range, hunting rabbits, etc. I see less. I don't see that many people standing in line at Wal Mart at 7AM!!! (I even tried it 3 or 4 days myself and showed up to find no one and guess what... no ammo shipments any of those day). I do see some at scalper's prices on the local internet sites and some occasionally at the $50 (pseudo-scalper) prices in a few gun stores... they don't last long.

This.

I agree, it doesn't add up, even if the various theories have some merit.

You can't hoard it if you can't buy it. Dealers say they are just getting a trickle. If the manufacturers are cranking it out 24/7, where is it going? What's happening with the supply chain?

Paul
Originally Posted by Paul39
Originally Posted by lundtroller

This.

I agree, it doesn't add up, even if the various theories have some merit.

You can't hoard it if you can't buy it. Dealers say they are just getting a trickle. If the manufacturers are cranking it out 24/7, where is it going? What's happening with the supply chain?

Paul

Take a look over at Gunbroker if you want to see some of it, 10-12 pages usually, 500 or so listings, these guys have an endless supply, they aren't buying THAT much at walmart, something fishy here somewhere.
You simply cannot hoard what is not there. I know several people that own small shops and others that manage sporting goods sections in the larger stores. Every one of them tell me the same thing; they can't get 22 ammo. I stopped at one chain store the other day and the sporting goods manager told me that he had one box of Remington bulk 22 delivered in the six weeks prior. The well is dry long before the retail people are in line. One of the local shops is still waiting on the January 2013 ammo order. It can't be new shooters and it can't be hoarders if it doesn't make it to the retail shelves.
I have been getting most of mine from the online sellers such as Midway and Cabelas. I rarely walk into a retail store these days. Not worth the gasoline.
Originally Posted by Mauser12
You simply cannot hoard what is not there. I know several people that own small shops and others that manage sporting goods sections in the larger stores. Every one of them tell me the same thing; they can't get 22 ammo. I stopped at one chain store the other day and the sporting goods manager told me that he had one box of Remington bulk 22 delivered in the six weeks prior. The well is dry long before the retail people are in line. One of the local shops is still waiting on the January 2013 ammo order. It can't be new shooters and it can't be hoarders if it doesn't make it to the retail shelves.

Exactly, and therein lies the fundamental question.

Paul
MadMooner - "and we are just starting to see it getting caught back up?" What makes you think that? 2012 was the last time I was able to purchase .22LR at my LGS & WallyWorld. Have not seen anything close to 1/2 full shelves since then. Had 2 bricks in 2012 and I'm gingerly shooting them now. NO plinking or 10 shot groups anymore. Sight in a new scope - 3 shots, break-in a new rifle - maybe 5 shots every now and then. .22LR was as common as dirt at one time... everybody sold it. Now they're as rare as virginity at a hooker convention. Homesteader.
Stopped at my local Academy yesterday, quiet with the holiday weekend, lo and behold some .22 ammo! Two large stacks behind the counter, some Aguila .22 Super Colibri, bought a box. And the top of the line Federal target ammo at $20.00 a box.

The Super Colibri was very hard to get the last 1.5 years, the Federal stuff is probably too expensive for the average shooter who just wants to plink. There are several theories about the shortage but I have seen the top grade and expensive target ammo available for quite some time, if you don't mind paying $20.00 for fifty rounds!

This shows that most shooters really want the cheaper plinking/hunting ammo. Until I see the 500 round bulk packs on the shelf I won't say it is normal. But things are getting better.
I was in a LGS yesterday and found some Winchester 40 grain HP Subsonic ammo. I was able to buy 2 boxes since they had a limit on rimfire. I was glad to see some available.
I see kids given as much 22 ammo as they can machine-gun through a rifle .
One guy stated his two kids could go through two 525/550 packs "each" a day -said 2K+ rounds is gone by Sunday afternoon.
That's more ammo than me and my two brothers shot in a lifetime.
Think of how many people shoot 22 ammo like that.
Growing up I never had more than one or two fifty round boxes on hand at a time until school got out for the summer. Then I usually got a brick that had to last all summer or longer. Usually Winchester Wildcats, 88 cents a 50 round box and a brick at a time was a big deal.
I had what ever I could afford and yes I made it last. A little target shooting but mostly scope check and each shot was thoroughly aimed and sqeeezed off .
Kids emptying 20 round mags as fast as they can is silly and teaches them nothing useful.
"One guy stated his two kids could go through two 525/550 packs "each" a day -said 2K+ rounds is gone by Sunday afternoon.

Kids emptying 20 round mags as fast as they can is silly and teaches them nothing useful."

Mike,

Gotta agree, what are their parents thinking? Or are they thinking!

Jerry

Originally Posted by jerrywoodswalker
"One guy stated his two kids could go through two 525/550 packs "each" a day -said 2K+ rounds is gone by Sunday afternoon.

Kids emptying 20 round mags as fast as they can is silly and teaches them nothing useful."

Mike,

Gotta agree, what are their parents thinking? Or are they thinking!

Jerry

The parents are just as bad, that's where the kids learn it, see them all the time at our range with their "tactical" 10-22's doing what they call "mag dumps" which simply means spraying the ground in front of the firing line as fast as you can pull the trigger, and without even a thought of trying to hit a target of some sort.

Do you guys have kids?

I had my seven year old at the range yesterday. He shot 40-50 shots out of his Savage cub and was about ready to come home. I set him up with my 10-22T and he shot another 400 times before I made him leave. He was having a great time shooting both paper and steel.

By the way when I got to shoot I was doing mag dumps with a pair of Kimbers, a Sako quad and a 541T.

Kids like to hear the gun off. If they waste a few rounds who cares as long as they are being safe.

Dink
kids should be taught discipline in all levels of life. Dink just what area of MO are you in LE ?
Most kids today can sit in front of a television and kill hundreds of zombies in a half hour using an unlimited supply of virtual ammo. If they don't get an opportunity to do some "blasting" when they go to the range, they will lose interest in shooting.
Teach em to blast away instead of being good shots, then they wound critters instead of good one shot kills.
In my opinion the ammo manufacturers aren't keeping up with the times. Most everybody started out with a Single shot .22 in my generation. I still shoot a bolt at long range which is about precision, not spraying. With these tactical SA .22's coming out it will take a lot more ammo. (Good cheap tactical practice) I've seen guys with SAuto .22' and .223's shooting as fast as they can pull the trigger. I don't have a problem with that, it's just that the ammo companies aren't keeping pace. I believe there is a well known foreign ammo maker who is going to start importing to the US. If our companies want to play it safe and not expand that's their choice, and I won't feel bad about buying out of country ammo.

I can't say too much because if I had the money to start an ammo factory I'd be set for life. If I won the lottery I just might do it anyhow as I could use a job.
Wow, funny to see people on a hunting/shooting website say people should shoot less. Easy to go through 500 rounds of 22 in a few hours with a Buckmark and a nice 10/22. All accurate, aimed shots, not "spraying ammo". And the kid that shoots a ton of 22 ammo is probably a better shot that most adults I know.

I dream of the day my two year old is old enough to go with me and we can burn up a ton of 22 ammo together. Sounds like a great day.
I'm 66 years old and have 7 22's. It really p's me off that non shooters can cause this much damage to so many who like to shoot. I recently started shooting air gun to keep me sane.
Same here, shooting my R9 a lot. I was really wanting to get a nice .22lr bolt rifle, but I think I'm going to get a Beeman R7 air rifle instead. Ammo is available and I can shoot it in the back yard instead of having to go to a range.
© 24hourcampfire