Home
Keep toying with the idea of putting together a .22 pistol and scope for a dedicated squirrel gun. Thinking one that already has scope mounting capabilities to avoid having to drill and tap, suggestions for both pistol and scope are welcome. Accuracy and comfort of carry is of course the bottom line, without breaking the bank. Thanks.
I use a Smith and Wesson Model 41 with an Ultra Dot sight. Very hand squirrel rig.
[Linked Image]
This thing shoots STUPID.

[Linked Image]

Bang for the buck...it's a Ruger Show............
I use a Browning Buckmark Varmint with scope. CCI SV ammo it likes.
dave

[Linked Image]
I've always wanted to own one of those Buckmarks. Was thinking that was the silhouette version, regardless. I like them.

I'm a complete sucker for 22 pistols though. I have several Rugers in different configuration, a couple high standards, a Ruger Bear Cat, and a Buckmark of my own.

Just can't have too many 22 pistols.

Originally Posted by kywindage
I use a Smith and Wesson Model 41 with an Ultra Dot sight. Very hand squirrel rig.
[Linked Image]

I bought a Smith 41 just like yours a while back and put a Leupold Delta Point on it and am really happy with the way it shoots. I'm still checking different ammo.
[Linked Image]

If I were to do it again I would do it exactly like I did. S&W M41 with a Bully Barrel and a YHM suppressor. I'm not real crazy about the Bushnell red dot on it but I'm not sure what I want to put on it
Buddy has a 22/45 put a Burris holo sight on it ... Loves mini mags

'Stick, blade details?
Had a Ruger MK 11 slabside Gvt model that I put a 2X6 Bushnell handgun scope on.

It was great for ground squirrls/sage rats from a pickup window, but very limited use, so I ended up trading it off for something else that I couldn't live without.
Sorry, no pictures.

Virgil B.
a tc super 14 in .22 rf and 2x leupold scope.

a buckmark hunter, with 30 mm. tasco pro with dot.

they both do the job, of course the buckmark reloads much faster than the TC.
I had the same handgun with a Leupy 4x. Sqaucks 30 yards or so and under were dead. Fifty yards wasn't out of the question if I had a really good rest. That being more of a testament to my poor marksmanship than the guns ability. Main reason I traded it was because the safety was hard to hit quickly when I took the scope off to carry it for rabbit. Should just have carried a different handgun for rabbit and kept the Ruger, but a CZ 453 was calling my name in a moment of low funds.

Dave.
Don't have one, but the EABCO standard model falling block w/scope mounts is $699. Looks nice.

I do have a 5 1/2 inch .22/45 with a Tasco PP red dot, but haven't whacked any with it yet.

I have killed a couple with a Bearcat, but within 20 yards or so.
Maybe you won't need a scope. 25 yards from the bench
[Linked Image]
Some new steel,from some new guy that I'd never heard of..................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Back to pistoles. Steel GSG's trump poly Pro's,despite the mag capacity differences(Pro's hold 14).

[Linked Image]

Unit 1 50yd test group from Factory.

[Linked Image]

You ain't gonna whoop a Ruger for the jingle................
I see, need to Google that name and see what turns up ... wink

Very vice
First one I've tried and maybe in a few years,I'll be able to offer some insight...as to the relative quality.

Seems pretty fair thus far,but the test of time is THE one...............
I've got an older Browning Challenger III that is just stupid accurate with open sights. Quicker acquisition on squirrels and easy to carry. Knocked over a few squirrels just a couple weeks ago on an outing. With a good rest you can cover the Power Point groups with a quarter at 25 yards easily and sometimes at 50 yards if I'm having an exceptional day.

bob
I was going to hang a Mk4 M1 10x in a Badger Max 50 on it,just to see what it would really do.

Thinking she'd dazzle..................
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Maybe you won't need a scope. 25 yards from the bench
[Linked Image]

Very mice! my sw 617 is my most accurate gun with iron sights. Got a mark II gov that I put a burris fast fire on it that may come close to the 617...
Originally Posted by Big Stick
First one I've tried and maybe in a few years,I'll be able to offer some insight...as to the relative quality.

Seems pretty fair thus far,but the test of time is THE one...............

CCI SV 22lr & and a lighter mainspring in my dedicated lower equals flawless function.
Wadcutters and squirrels. Deadly.

[Linked Image]
I've seen me sandbag.................(hint)
I'm kinda partial to this Buckmark.
[Linked Image]
While the Burris Fast Fire II has been good so far, the III model is a better way to go.
Buckmarks ain't horrid,I've had quite a few but there's no advantage over a Ruger.

Ruger accuracy is there,rugged/reliability is there and logistics as well.

I prefer Buckmark mag release over a MK I or II's,but for positive retention...they are without peer..............
I've had quite a few Rugers as well but can't get used to the MK III's for some reason. I did love a 6 7/8's heavy taper MK II and if I find another one I'll buy it.
I'm a II Guy,but bang for the buck and ready to rock optics,the 22/45 is tough to whoop................
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Some new steel,from some new guy that I'd never heard of..................

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Back to pistoles. Steel GSG's trump poly Pro's,despite the mag capacity differences(Pro's hold 14).

[Linked Image]

Unit 1 50yd test group from Factory.

[Linked Image]

You ain't gonna whoop a Ruger for the jingle................

BS, that's nice looking grind on on that blade. Is that a composite handle like g-10 or something?
Can you say "Old School"
This gun is what got me interested in scoping pistolas....about 45 years ago.
Cisco

Attached picture 20140831_082423_resized.jpg
Attached picture 20140831_082354_resized.jpg
Carbon fiber..............
I've got a Ruger MkIII Target with a Leupold 2x scope on it for tree rats and bunnies. I put the VQ kit in it to improve the trigger and put the Mk II bushing in it to make the magazine drop and trigger pull better. Oddly enough, the stupid thing prefers Remington Thunderbolt ammo over anything else I've tried, including a variety of match and SV ammo.
"While the Burris Fast Fire II has been good so far, the III model is a better way to go."

had all three; the three is better for battery replacement (do not need to remove it from the gun to change them), I prefer the two with just on & off vs. the three's range of on including one so low I have to look at it in the dark to make sure it is off, Both are water-resistant (the one was not).

Jerry
© 24hourcampfire