Home
I'm confused. I can't seem to determine if Kimber is back to making 22LR rifles.

I know Kimber of Oregon did. Were they not bought out by Kimber America?

Can I buy a NEW bolt action 22lr or do I need to look for used?
A few years ago they quit making .22 bolt actions. I think I read too much production demands with their centerfire rifles and 1911's.
Posted By: TWR Re: Is Kimber making 22lr Rifles? - 09/19/14
There was talk of them producing rimfires again but nothing official.
Ramrod340: As of today I am rather certain that the only Kimber Rifles in caliber 22 L.R. would be used Rifles!
I spoke with the Kimber factory representative at the Ennis, Montana Hunters Rendevous two years ago and he told me Kimber was saving all their 22 rimfire tooling and hoped to someday start manufacturing them again.
He relayed how the demand for their centerfire pistols and Rifles was so great they could not keep up so cut the rimfires off.
I own several Kimber of Oregon Rifles and three Kimber of America Rifles and of the ones I have shot they are all accurate and have excellent triggers as well as their aesthetic appeal.
I hope they do indeed resume production of their fine rimfire Rifles.
That is my understanding - the Kimber of Oregon company was bought out and became Kimber of America.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Thanks VarmintGuy. That is kind of what I thought was going on. Must be nice to simply have too much business.
Ramrod340: Yes it must be nice. And even when I got this info from the "horses mouth" so to speak, my first thought was "why not just hire some more Americans to build your firearms"?
I wish I had asked that representative then that question.
Maybe it has something to do with space in the factory - I don't know?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
A Montana in .22lr would be sweet.
A Montana in .22wmr would be more sweet.

My Oregon made 82 is still my favorite rimfire. I've had several K-22's, 82 B and C's but the original 82 is still my favorite. It feels perfect when shouldered.
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Ramrod340: Yes it must be nice. And even when I got this info from the "horses mouth" so to speak, my first thought was "why not just hire some more Americans to build your firearms"?
I wish I had asked that representative then that question.
Maybe it has something to do with space in the factory - I don't know?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

My guess is that it's simply a matter of profit margin.
If they produced one in SS with a Montana type stock I would buy (several). I have a Clackamas, Oregon manufacture .22lr that is accurate and the stock is well proportioned. I know that Kimber of Oregon were not uniform in their builds so I am glad that I got a good one..
Investors bought the Kimber name, that was all there was as the actual manufacturing was dead. The new Kimber built rimfires from 1999 to 2007. I've got a Hunter 22 and think it's the best rimfire I've ever owned. It would be nice to see them built again but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
A Montana in .22lr would be sweet.
A Montana in .22wmr would be more sweet.

Agreed
One year I'm gonna win one of my fantasy football leagues and I'm gonna treat myself to a Kimber K22 Hunter or classic. My cz453 is awesome but that Kimber looks perfect.
Originally Posted by woodson
One year I'm gonna win one of my fantasy football leagues and I'm gonna treat myself to a Kimber K22 Hunter or classic. My cz453 is awesome but that Kimber looks perfect.

Be aware, the safety on a K22 works in the proper direction, don't let that confuse you! grin
© 24hourcampfire