Home
Posted By: OldRooster CCI Maxi Mag +V - 09/28/14
Wondering if any members have experience with this ammunition. My rifle shoots it with excellent accuracy but I'm wondering about the bullets. The box is marked vamint so is this a relatively fragile bullet or does it deliver some penetration ?
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: CCI Maxi Mag +V - 09/28/14
I have shot this in my CZ... Does a number on p. dogs and gophers, but I haven't used it on anything larger,,
Posted By: OldRooster Re: CCI Maxi Mag +V - 09/28/14
I've realized that I have two types if the +V, a hollow point and a polymer tipped. I haven't shot the tipped yet. My CZ shoots the HP variety very well. So my question is about the HPs.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: CCI Maxi Mag +V - 10/11/14
I shot some years ago in a Marlin 22mag --patterns to say the least -never seen anything like that from that rifle.
It shot all ammo good -some great but the +V shot sometimes completely off the paper.
Not that that means squat of coarse we just have to try ammo out and see if our barrel likes it.
Posted By: Hotload Re: CCI Maxi Mag +V - 10/20/14
About 5 years ago I got 2 boxes of the HP variety. Took one box to the gun range.
I found the +V to have excellent accuracy out of my Marlin rifle and Single Six.

Also, I asked about the +V polymer tipped ammo at the local gun store.
Sad fact is ....
any 22 mag remains hard to find. When I do find 22 mag , it cost too much. mad
Posted By: justin10mm Re: CCI Maxi Mag +V - 10/21/14
The CCI site claims it is designed for fragmentation. I tested some in wet newspaper once and had full fragmentation with only slightly more penetration than CCI 30gr TNTs.

But... several years ago a friend shot a fifty'ish pound hog behind the shoulder with the +V load and the recovered bullet from under the off side hide looked exactly like a miniature Gold Dot. So YMMV.
Posted By: T_O_M Re: CCI Maxi Mag +V - 10/23/14
I have used the Maxi Mag +V real successfully in a Win 9422 mag and a Ruger 77/22 mag plus a 10" TC barrel. The two rifles shot about inch and a quarter at 100 yards with 4X scopes. The TC goes about 3/4 of an inch or better at 50 yards.

I've tried using it in revolvers ... it has been real bad there with 25 yard groups as large as 5 inches.

At 100 yards, the results on our ground squirrels is pretty similar to the results from a standard construction, not blitz/tnt/etc, 55 grain soft point from a .223. Not real impressive splatter but absolutely dead.

Tom
© 24hourcampfire