Home
Posted By: rb77 17 wsm . - 12/10/14
has anyone herd how these new rifles shoot. am looking at one with a heavy barrel. should a person stay away or go for it
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: 17 wsm . - 12/11/14
There were issues with the first run. Accuracy was often spotty and extraction was an issue. My son has an early gun and it has been flawless, but the ammo is a bit erratic. There have been split necks in some of the cases which usually caused fliers. I think Winchester needs to do a better job of annealing. From what I have heard, the heavy barreled guns shoot very well.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: 17 wsm . - 12/11/14
The only rifle currently available rifle is the Savage Bmag which a majority of the users say is a poor quality rifle. We will have more choices after the first of the year, including Valquartsen.
Posted By: rb77 Re: 17 wsm . - 12/11/14
thanks guys this helps
Posted By: ldholton Re: 17 wsm . - 12/11/14
A friend of the son has a savage b mag I don't really like the gun , but it does shoot pretty good
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 17 wsm . - 12/12/14
The Savage bolt gun is really oogly, even for a Savage, and just looks cheap.

The Winny Low wall looks nice, as it should, considering the cost.

I'd wait until ammo is better distributed. If I just wanted to shoot, I'd get a Hummer.
Posted By: WiFowler Re: 17 wsm . - 12/12/14
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
. . . We will have more choices after the first of the year, including Valquartsen.

Do tell . . . inquiring minds would like to know what's circulating in the rumor mill.

As previously state, the choices are slim at this point, with not much choice at all.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 17 wsm . - 12/13/14
I think it's deader than a rolled-flat cat. Without some QUALITY midpriced rifles available, it's gonna die a gruesome death. I won't argue with anyone about Volquartsen quality, or Hi-Wall quality, the B-Mags have been horrible, if you bother to read rimfirecentral.

No decent quality midpriced rifles means a lot, too. Poor quality guns and spotty ammo quality means it doesn't stand much of a chance.
The idea is sweet, the practicality means it SHOULD fly well, but the applications have been nothing but a crapfest.
Posted By: shoots4fun Re: 17 wsm . - 12/20/14
One of the guys on my July PD safari had a heavy barrel BMag and a stash of 17WSM ammo. My understanding is that having both at the same time was quite an accomplishment. Any way, the dang thing shot very well and he was regularly smacking dawgs at pretty good distance in the wind. I think, IMHO, the 17HMR is a better critter gitter on the PD front and I wouldn't want either for 'yotes or whistle pigs.
Posted By: xverminator Re: 17 wsm . - 12/20/14
Never saw a need for the WSM when the 17 Hornet already exists...Maybe I'm missing something?

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: reelman Re: 17 wsm . - 12/20/14
Originally Posted by xverminator
Never saw a need for the WSM when the 17 Hornet already exists...Maybe I'm missing something?

X-VERMINATOR

As a reloader I agree with your thoughts but if you don't reload the WSM makes a lot of sense.
Posted By: xverminator Re: 17 wsm . - 12/21/14
Good point!

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: Claybirds Re: 17 wsm . - 12/21/14
I thought I read that somewhere out east you were limited to using a rimfire only, in this case alone the WSM would be worth it.
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: 17 wsm . - 12/21/14
I have a Bmag and most of the comments above are spot on.
It is UGLY and the feeding/magazine design is not very good.
Fairly accurate tho and a hell of a flat trajectory for a rifmire. I have a few boxes of ammo. The heavier
bullet shoots better for me. I think the cartridge might just
survive.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 17 wsm . - 12/21/14
In WV, we were limited to rimfires for night predator hunting until recently, when they legalized .22 centerfires. I have misgivings about that, but we'll see.

What they didn't do, and should have, is legalize T shot, like HeavyShot.

I read an article aabout the use of the new .17 on coyotes. It got the job done, but not quite to the satifaction of one of the testers. He thought it would be fine on foxes.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: 17 wsm . - 12/23/14
I spent a day this summer shooting prairie dogs with my brother-in-law's 17 WSM B Mag. It was a windy day. I LOVED the cartridge and hated the gun. If someone comes out with a decent heavy barreled bolt action in this caliber, I'll be first in line.
I don't reload and have plenty to choose from already but this caliber does fill a niche and does it well.
Posted By: MontanaCreekHunter Re: 17 wsm . - 12/24/14
Originally Posted by Claybirds
I thought I read that somewhere out east you were limited to using a rimfire only, in this case alone the WSM would be worth it.

Yes Connecticut State land is .22LR and 17HMR rimfire only. I doubt highly that the state will allow the 17WSM.
Posted By: rjencks Re: 17 wsm . - 12/24/14
In rhode island, state land is rimfire .22 and smaller. So 22 wmr, and the .17 rim fires are allowed.

I love my 17 HMR, but would like to try out the WSM, if they came out with a better quality rifle.
Posted By: RUM7 Re: 17 wsm . - 01/10/15
Hornady is now making 17 wsm ammo.
You wouldnt think they would go down that road unless they know of some other rifle manufacturers getting on board.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 17 wsm . - 01/10/15
I have a B-mag in the shop right now that a buddy wanted me to glass bed. It suffered from the flyers from hell which is synonymous to this rifle. We'll see how the glass bedding works tomorrow..
Posted By: Jms920 Re: 17 wsm . - 01/11/15
If Ruger ever comes on board with an American/17WSM or even. 77/17WSM, it will fly off the shelves. If they don't, it is history.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: 17 wsm . - 01/11/15
Stainless Ruger American in 17 WSM...Hmmmm...
Posted By: RUM7 Re: 17 wsm . - 01/20/15
www.thefirearmblog.com/.../ruger-m7717-hawkeye-prototype-17-wsm/

This could be a winner.
Posted By: avagadro Re: 17 wsm . - 01/20/15
I DO WANT A .17 WSM .... but damn ... that could be very sweet ....

does anyone know how this compares ballistics wise to a 22 Hornet?

thanks
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 wsm . - 01/20/15
Sweet. It looks like ruger finally redid the hornet action to include a rimfire bolt and mag. I should get one to go with the whore-gnat.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 17 wsm . - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by avagadro
I DO WANT A .17 WSM .... but damn ... that could be very sweet ....

does anyone know how this compares ballistics wise to a 22 Hornet?

thanks

Okay velocity wise. Short on weight and diameter. The idea, I think, is cheap,and easy.
Posted By: LeonHitchcox Re: 17 wsm . - 01/21/15
Think of it as a .22 Hornet substitute for the non-reloaders. Also useful on public land where center fires are not allowed.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: 17 wsm . - 01/21/15
Bull...... it is to be thunk about as a loaded-down 17 Hornet. A tweener/twixter kinda deal...... it is a rimfire between the 17HMR and centerfire 17hornet
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: 17 wsm . - 01/21/15
Originally Posted by RUM7

Just need to make it in a left hand version....here in Michigan rimefires or shotgun only at night for predators.
Posted By: LCHunter1 Re: 17 wsm . - 01/26/15
My BMAG works just fine. OK..it isn't the prettiest gun on the block but it shoots and functions well. I know that sage rats don't like it at all. AND I'm seeing ammo for it coming back into the market.

I like the cartridge and hope it survives. Great gun especially for a kid to drag around.
© 24hourcampfire