Home
Several of the local gun shops now seem to be well stocked with Federal and CCI .22 ammo. What I have not seen in two years is any great amount of Winchester or Remington .22 ammo. And either have the distributors I have spoken with...

Anyone seeing anything?

Bob
Got email notice that midway had Remington thunderbolt's in yesterday. Jumped on the site, put some in my cart, immediately hit checkout, and they disappeared from my cart!? So either they're a ghost, or midway doesn't got their act together. I was a bit flustered.
Just happened again! Got notice for same ammo. I immediately went to order it 10 seconds after the email hit my inbox. Put it in my cart, and clicked checkout. Had to put my password in ot pay for it and did. At that point they say it's already gone! BS! They've been good to deal with before, but this is a joke!
Win PowerPoints work well in both of my ground squirrel 22LR's and I bought it by the case. I've not seen any in over 4 years.
1minute: I agree with you - I have NOT seen any Winchester 40 gr. Power-Points on a stores shelves in so long I can't remember the last time!
I know this shortage has been going on for 27 months now.
I did buy a carton size box of Remington Thunderbolts at the Bozeman, Montana Sportsmans Warehouse last Friday for $23.00 (limit one).
They are not hollow-points so I can't/won't use them for Varmint Hunting.
I went from there to the Bozeman gunshow to trade them for hollow-points but ended up selling them for $35.00 cash.
The folks that are always at the Bozeman Gunshow from the Bitterroot Valley ammo shop were not there and had JUST gone out of business - I found out!
I usually always get rimfire ammo from those folks - I guess times are tough and they are through with the rat race?
I am getting low on Winchester Power-Points and may have to resight in my Rifles that prefer this ammo with something else.
Sad.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'm pretty much out of Power Points too. Midway canceled my Power Point back order last month. I had 2000 and shot them all @ Gophers over the last two years + a bunch of Federals.

I bought 1000 CCI HPs this week. So they are around.

And, yes, I've bought both bulk WW 36 grain HPs and Rem Golden Bullet HPs this year. WW @ WalMart and Rem at Sportsman's Warehouse. Also, bought some 40 grain HV round nose WW @ WalMart. I have plenty of ammo for the next Gopher season but it's all odds and ends. Probably 6 different types/brands. None of it will match Power Point performance.
Yep, 333 packs...
There has been a little bulk Winchester and Remington around but WHERE IS ALL THE QUALITY ammo?

The BS line "we are running 24/7" is getting a little old to say the least.

Bob
It's not the manufactures fault. It's the pos hoarders and scalpers that have been buying all they can get their hands on. As I've said before, they'll eventually have their fill and shelves will start to see improvement. When that happen the scalpers will have a hell of a time selling what they have. When that happens, I hope they choke on all of what they have and die of lead poisoning...I see horaders buying ammo here all the time. My boss takes time off of work when the local gun store gets their shipment in every week. I asked him the other day if 20,000 plus 22Lr is enough and he said "no". I don't like that type of mentality and it doesn't do any of us any favors. There's a lot of guys just like him that go in every week and buy out what the store has, not much you can do about that...
bsa...I agree with you...but the ammo he is buying, is there any of the better quality Winchester or Remington? That is what I started this post about. ATK who owns Federal and CCI/Speer seems to be doing their part getting ammo to the distributors but where is Winchester and Remington...

Bob
Originally Posted by RJM
There has been a little bulk Winchester and Remington around but WHERE IS ALL THE QUALITY ammo?

The BS line "we are running 24/7" is getting a little old to say the least.

Bob

These days "quality" and Winchester or Remington is an oxymoron.

Instructions from a couple of manufacturers say not to shoot one or both in their pistols.

What I need and can't find is CCI Mini-Mag or Blazer. That's my go-to domestic brand.

For serious target work I stick with European ammo. Fairly readily available, at a price.

Paul

Part of the problem is that all ammo (and component) manufacturers are still concentrating on what sells the most--in other words, what most shooters want. This is because it takes time to switch tooling to other, lower-demand stuff, and instead of wasting that time they just keep cranking out what MOST people want.

And most people want the cheapest .22 ammo possible. This is exactly why you can buy all the Eley and other higher-priced .22 ammo you want, but not the cheap stuff.

I have seen bulk Remington and Winchester .22 ammo in local stores several times over the past year, and it always disappeared quickly, even a year after the panic should have been over.

Has anybody noticed that anytime reasonably priced .22 ammo shows up at Cabelas or any other source where it can be ordered over the Internet, somebody here makes a big announcement as a "favor" to everybody else--and then that ammo disappears quickly as well?

Do you suppose those announcements, and everybody still buying all the .22 ammo they can, every time it shows up anywhere, might have anything to do with the ongoing "shortage"?
Last weekend I saw some Winchester in a fancy wood box at Cabela's. I think it was something like $33 for 500. The same day I saw some Winchester in red plastic 100 round boxes for $9.99 a box (limit 3) at a Dick's store. I was feeling OK and passed on both. If I knew you needed some, I would have picked it up. I also saw some of the 100 round red plastic box stuff online at Natchez or Midsouth (limit 5 or 10, don't recall) sometime during the week, but just before you posted. I think it is out there, but it requires some free time to hunt for it.
Some WW, but mostly Federal now and CCI. But usually short, solid point or match stuff.
Was at Dick's in Binghamton NY just a couple hours ago. Picked up 600 rds of CCI AR Tactical .22 LR. They had lots of American Eagle LR hollow points and both Rem. and Win HV .22 shorts on the shelf too.
Walmart has Remington and Winchester .22 ammo on a regular basis, at least they do around here. They often get it more than once a week but it's always gone in the first 30 minutes. I'll give up my secret: BrassBadger, it scans Walmart's inventory and gives you the information as soon as the ammo is enroute from the distribution center, the evening before, so you just have to show up early and wait in line. BrassBadger is online and has an Android app, here's a link .
Over the past year I have been bartering on the forum for .22 ammo, I have gotten Federal, CCI and CMP no Win or Rem of any kind. Dunno what's up with that.
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Over the past year I have been bartering on the forum for .22 ammo, I have gotten Federal, CCI and CMP no Win or Rem of any kind. Dunno what's up with that.

gunwizard, that's probably a blessing in disguise. The Remington and most of the Winchester ammo is pure junk. I've had much better luck with CCI and federal/American eagle ammo.
I have managed to get my hands on a few bricks of Remington Viper over the last few months. I haven't shot it yet so I have no idea of its performance on varmints or accuracy potential. Just glad to have it.

drover
Our LGS's have been getting in lots of Remington Thunderbolt and some Viper. But it sells out in days. WalMart occasionally gets Winchester white-box 333-packs and they go super-fast too.
Gun show this past weekend had all the 22's you wanted, If you wanted to pay their price. Here too the stores sell out as fast as they come in. Limit to 3 cases per person, they buy run to the truck and change jackets and caps and buy 3 more. Several guys in a group every week.
I still have several bricks that say 9.99 on them and I thought that was high back then.
I'm from Cullman Co. Alabama. I have not seen anything from Winchester in two years. SOME Remington occasionally, Golden HVHP and Subsonic HP's. What I have seen in any amount is Aguila and CCI. CCI Subsonics, Minimags and Standard Velocity probably the largest of that brand spotted, with mixed types of Aguila that I am not familiar with. There was quite a bit of Federal #712 up around Huntsville last fall, but I haven't been back up that way in a while. Some places nearby are still trying to charge twenty bucks a box for Minimags. They can kiss my hairy ass. Damn thieves.
Stopped at a favorite LGS earlier this evening. It's about the only place around here that has had some 22LR during the "crisis".

Picked up a box of Fed. Auto Match. He also had a stash of assorted 17HMR, CCI shorts, some CCI Mini Mags, brick or two of CCI Quiet LR and some plastic hundred packs of Winchester 40gr.

Neither the Mini Mags nor the Win. stuff were HPs.
I'm still holding out for some Win Power Points. I can find all the target and plinking ammo I want, but nothing to hunt with.
Remington and Winchester are not to be found here. Today I managed to pick up some Aguila and CCI. It's the first 22LR I've seen in ages. Looking forward to taking the CZ 452 Varmint out Friday.
Guy at the local Field and Stream store(Dicks) told me that they had made a deal with Remington. Dicks helped pay for a production line and bought all it produced. He seemed a blowhard but they do seem to be the only ones that always has 22LR from Rem.
I ain't seen A WW Power point on the shelf in this area for going on 3 years. I quit looking..........
I traded a rifle for a rifle and got two bricks of 22 ammo in the trade, heck it was better then cash!!!!!
Why is the Winchester Power Points favored so well?
Accurate and kills very well.
Things are changing........
There was a "floor sweepin's" bulk pak under the tree.......
Mini-Mag HP, from the company store.......
THAT is a big change.........

Merry Christmas to all.
Thanks, MD.
You might consider The Paco Tool if you want to make the cheapest solid nose more effective.

I've had problems w getting onto Midway fast enough to score on notifications. I have, however, been able to pick up about 3,000 rounds when I do connect on that site in last six months.

Feel good enough I'm practicing w .22s again...
Stopped at Walmart this morning for dog food and mosied back to the ammo cabinet as I always do. They just got some Super X Winnie 22LR in this morning.

37gr "small game", Super Speed HPs, 1330fps so it says.

$7.97 per 100 round plastic slide pack. Could've had three packs, took one. This is something I've never tried, probably regret not getting the other two packs if'n it shoots well in any of my rifles?

That's about what CCI Mini Mags are going for at my favorite LGS, when he has any. All he's had lately were the non-HPs.
Stopped at my local WM. They had four boxes of CCI Mini Mags. I got three. $7.37/100. The clerk told me to buy a lottery ticket-my lucky day.
I'd buy more Mini Mag HPs if they were available. One of the most consistantly accurate rounds over a period of many years, in most of my rifles.

Other than the many thousands of rounds of the old white box bulk WW Dynapoints once available at Kmart, Mini Mags probably ranked second in number of rounds fired in the past 35 years?

The newer Dynapoints in the fancy black/red/gold boxes don't hold a candle to the old stuff.
Buying at $23.00 and selling at $35.00 is your right but that doesn't help the current situation. If you didn't want solids why buy them ? That is what hoarding and speculation are. The problem will end when "we" can pass up rimfire ammo we see in stock but that we don't really need. I have a feeling that it will take a long time before day comes. The fear factor is just too strong at the moment. The manufacturers are producing but people are buying rimfire ammo in quantities they wouldn't have dreamed of 5 years ago.
This past weekend one of our Walmarts had Rem, the first I've seen there in a couple of years.
Cabela's in CT had a self full of Rem thunderbolt .22LR the other day when I was up there. They also had a few 100 packs of CCI Minimag's.
I bet the ammo companies fear the end of this mess. It has been good for them and they supposedly have done things to increase production. When I can finally go into any store and by 22LR they will see sales fall to nothing. We all are hoarding to some extent. In the past I have been happy to have one unopened brick. Now I like to have several as I know I cant buy when I want. Many people are sitting on several lifetimes worth of 22 and as soon as they are available will never buy again.
Academy in Lufkin,Tx had Rem. in 500 count bricks 3 weeks ago.
Originally Posted by RJM
Several of the local gun shops now seem to be well stocked with Federal and CCI .22 ammo. What I have not seen in two years is any great amount of Winchester or Remington .22 ammo. And either have the distributors I have spoken with...

Anyone seeing anything?

Bob

While on vacation last summer, stopped in the Pennsylvania Cabelas. They had Winny 22LR.
Local Sportsman's had 500ct Thunderbolt ammo. Didn't last long.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Win PowerPoints work well in both of my ground squirrel 22LR's and I bought it by the case. I've not seen any in over 4 years.

Me either. My favorite .22 LR round and I haven't shot any in years. I have 50 rounds left and I can't make myself shoot them.
My son and I picked up 9 boxes of 222 Win Hollow Points on Black Friday. I also picked up 2 100 packs of Win Power Point Hollow Points a couple weeks ago. A little showing up now and then.
© 24hourcampfire