Home
What's the pros and cons of the Remington 597 Magnums, in either 22WRF or 17HMR?
I can only speak for the one I had, it didn't work on several levels. Mine was a 17 HMR. I think Remington chit the bed on these, but I'm sure others will have had no problems.
I think Remington recalled the .17s, not to be fixed, but buyers were "compensated" with a coupon good only for another POS from their stable. As I recall the value of the coupon was far below the original cost. Pretty bad behavior, probably more to give them an excuse to use in court than to actually make up for their blunder.

Not sure about the .22 WRMs.

In general, a number of companies have tried to tame the RF magnums in autoloaders, but most have flopped.
I have two 592s in .22 Magnum that I'm very happy with, the one that I use is by far my favorite bobcat rifle. I can't think of a better called 'cat rifle in tight cover. I have the style with the light/sporter contour barrel and green laminated stock.
I had the 597 laminated in 17 HMR. I purchased a takeoff 22 Mag barrel for it and had both rimfire magnums in one rifle. As long as you paid attention as to how tight the allen screws for the action rails/springs were, the rifle functioned 100%. It was an excellent switch barrel/caliber rifle. I preferred the 22 Mag though. Another hunter wanted it more than I did, so I sold it.
I see that there are still plenty of the 22mags left around.
I think Pappy is right. Pretty sure there was a recall on the 17s.
I asked this same question last week
A dealer that I deal with got one in 22mag
I bought it and shot it today
I only had about 35 rds with me
It functioned flawless seem to be fairly accurate I heard about these horrible triggers and it wasn't bad at all I am happy I bought it
I had a bad taste I bought a 22lr when they first came out it was really bad.

Hank

[Linked Image]

17HMR or 17M2 and blow back actions do not mix.

Go ahead and try. But wear your safety glasses.
My 22 mag from 10 years aggo would not group good enough to suit me. I gave it to a neighbor. I expected at least 3/4" groups at 50 yards.
Sorry, my mistake. Mine was a semi auto. No group for chit. Neighbor loves it for a truck gun. Coyotes etc.
The 17 had many problems the .22 mag had few the early .22 LRs had lots in the begining but they ironed them out. My LR has run almost 100% I would love to have a mag too. Its my favorite .22. Volquartsen hammer and mcarbo springs make the trigger very good.
I'm sorry but they are ugly as sin! I don't know why firearms manufacturers can't make a pretty firearm.
Nylon 66 is uglier.
© 24hourcampfire