Home
What do you think of the Remington Nylon 66 as a reliable plinking gun?
Works great, got one for me and both sons..
That's what I'm thinking about--black, brown, and green.
Mine has yet to malfunction. It is a great shooter with iron sights.
I've had two of them. They are tough and reliable and moderately accurate with iron sights. They make a good coon gun as you can beat a coon to death with one and run over it with a pickup without breaking it. On the minus side they have lousy triggers and won't hold zero for shyt when scoped.
So, a good open-sight kid gun then? That's pretty much what I'm looking for.
Yep. I wouldn't take for my Nylon 66. Uber reliable and mines even accurate with Stingers! Plus I love the tube feed though the stock for loading.
I really HATE 10-22 mags!
Oh, and get ready to spend some big bucks to find a really clean Nylon! They ain't cheap any more!
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
So, a good open-sight kid gun then?
Yep.
Any chance that they will run "shorts" reliably?
Nope. But they made a few gallery guns that fired shorts only. Last one I saw at the big Tulsa Gun Show was priced at $1800 dollars !!!
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Any chance that they will run "shorts" reliably?

Shorts, who the Hell has any shorts!?!

Actually, I have two very old green and red boxes of Remingtons that somebody gave me years ago.

I used to buy shorts at a little Mom & Pop store near my grandmother's in PA. $.59 a box. Longs were a little more and LRs were still less than a buck.

Imagine the stink if someone sold a 12 year-old ammunition today! Anderson Cooper would have a sh$t hemmorage.
I can remember riding my Swynn Stingray bicycle to the little Mom & Pop grocery store when I was in the 5th or 6th Grade and buying .22 shorts for $.50 cents a box and HV LR for $.69 cents a box. Aw, the good ole days!
I bought Remington Mohawk .22 LR's for 59 cents a box at the local Agway when I was a kid. Mom used to call ahead and tell them I was on my way down to buy some .22's and they'd sell them to me no problem. Course it was a small town and mom and dad knew everybody that worked there personally.
I Like them. Last year i bought one, that is about 98-99% condition, at a local gun shop that i though was brown for $229. As soon as the sunlight hit the stock it turned green. Upon a little research its a seneca green nylon. Its almost like a olive colored. Pretty cool find i thought. Under artifical light, they look brown, but the sunlight brings outbthe color.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I can remember riding my Swynn Stingray bicycle to the little Mom & Pop grocery store when I was in the 5th or 6th Grade and buying .22 shorts for $.50 cents a box and HV LR for $.69 cents a box. Aw, the good ole days!

Schwinn!

You must have been rich!
The tube-feed Nylon 66s and Brazilian made CBC GR8 that FIE imported are nearly 100% reliable, while the detachable magazine styles are only as reliable as the magazine. I have three of them, but my preferred .22 auto-loader is the stainless, laminated mannlicher, 10/22.
Was my first rifle, and it's still in the safe. Won't run shorts, but will run standard velocity LR just fine. I bought an aftermarket Williams Peep that attaches to the receiver hood dovetails, and swapped out the front sight. Way better than the original open sights for my old eyes.
They are great little rifles. I have several of them. They are a lot easier for the kids to load through the buttstock vs. 10/22 mags. Especially in the cold weather.
They are cool looking to boot!
They look like they will carry in the hand a lot nicer than the 10/22 also. Hopefully I can find a nice one at a decent price for kids to play with.
I have one that I somehow ended up with. I will probably never shoot it- I like my 10-22s just fine. Probably just sell this one at some point. They were pretty cool when they first came out.
My hunting buddy bought one new in the early 70's. It's now our camp gun. We use it for plinking and shooting squirrels for dinner often. Very reliable no matter what we feed it. You can't go wrong with one.

Remington Nylon 66 is the roughest, toughest, most trouble-free 22 automatic made.

This is the 22 rifle that set an accuracy record on over 100,000 consecutive hand-thrown wood blocks . . . only six misses and not a single malfunction.

link
700LH,

Wow, looked at that whole link. Really brings home how much we have regressed over the years! Look at all the "weapons" openly advertised!

I bought mine many years ago and shot a full case of .22 CCI's through it ... then, gave it to my godson.

Missed the rifle so badly that I bought another. So far, I've shot TWO cases (10,000 rounds) through it without cleaning the rifle and it is still shooting reliably.

I love the Remington Model 66 rifles.

Blessings,

Steve

Has anyone ever experienced problems feeding cheap bulk lead bullet 22lr in their Nylon 66? Mine will sometimes run a full magaizne, then other times I'll only get 5-6 shots off before I get a failure to feed. When I switch to a copper plated brand I don't have that problem? Any ideas? Dirty magazine tube? Really tiny burr somewhere? Not that it matters, like everyone else I can't find hardly anything in .22 anywmore.

Other than that little inconvenience, I love my Nylon 66.

Geno
you will be hard pressed to find a better and reliable 22 than the Nylon 66
The only .22LR ammo that I have had trouble feeding in the Nylon 66 is the Russian Junior brand with the heavy waxy lubricant.
Isn't the 66 the one that has the tendency to fire 2-3 shot bursts over time? I know my cousins had a 22 semi auto with a plastic stock ( I just assumed it was a Nylon 66) and it would shoot at least on 2-3 shot burst per magazine. Cyclic rate has to be in the thousands per minute as it is almost imperceptible.
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
Isn't the 66 the one that has the tendency to fire 2-3 shot bursts over time? I know my cousins had a 22 semi auto with a plastic stock ( I just assumed it was a Nylon 66) and it would shoot at least on 2-3 shot burst per magazine. Cyclic rate has to be in the thousands per minute as it is almost imperceptible.

Sure wish mine would do that cool
Never experienced that with mine.
This is getting me tempted to buy one a friend is selling. Its super clean to the point I almost wouldn't shoot it beyond the range.
I had one that had a defective mag tube latch so I traded it off. Doh... My dad bought it for $50 when Kmart closed them out.
How much does your friend want for his Nylon???

I'll buy it if you don't want it cool
I bought one new when I was 15, that was 40 yrs ago. I shot thousands upon thousands of rounds through it and its still going strong. very accurate with iron sights.

I killed a truck load of rabbits and squirrels with it, even a few quail flying, (once upon a time I could shoot well). back in the day a Remington pro held the record for aerial targets with one, I thought I could shoot as good as him (lol). I would practice by flipping hickory nuts in the air and busting them. even got where I could do multiples but keep in mind I shot it a LOT.. not a better knock around gun ever made..
I bought mine in 1971 and don't know how many thousands of rounds have been stuffed down the tube. I don't ever remember cleaning it very often. An incredibly fun rifle to own and shoot, rugged and easy to carry.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
How much does your friend want for his Nylon???

I'll buy it if you don't want it cool

This thread is making me temped to call. I'll check...
Bought one at a yard sale once that had been used like a bat on a tree stump, shattered stock.
Finally found a used stock after several months searching.
That gun was a fun one to take apart and put back together to change stocks.
One word of warning to left hand shooters. The Nylon 66 will spit hot powder in your face. I developed a flinch so bad that I got rid of the gun. That fact and the weak scope dovetail are the only negatives on the 66. They will shoot forever.
When they came out new you couldn't give me one for free. Six months ago I paid $500.00 for one. Go figure.
I shot mine yesterday, Federal Gold Medal match made one quarter sized ragged hole (10 shots) @ 50 yards. The sights are somewhat crude but they still shoot!
I bought one for $50. that the side plate metal had rusted thru. I filled it with bondo and painted it black, got $150 from a friend that had to have it. Still have new one in the box just in case the creek rises.
Just notified that local gun shop just got 13000 rounds of 22lr in. Knowing the owners it's $100.a brick.
I remember watching the nylon66 commercial Saturday mornings during cartoons. Anyone here remember the boy drop it off a hill then pick it up and keep shooting playing Army?
Also, the stocks are guaranteed for life. It was the first synthetic stock I think.
I bought a new Nylon 66 in 1979. The first time out with it I fell on some rocky terrain and cracked the stock. The weather was below zero f that day, which may have had something to do with it breaking like that. Anyways, I sent it into Remington, and they replaced it with the rifle that I have have to this day. It still shoots and cycles as well as new after thousands of rounds through it.
My father in law had one shatter when it slipped out of his hands while un casing it... Remington replaced it.

Question - I have a chance to buy one and I know parts are drying up for them. Whats the typical failure for these nylons?
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I've had two of them. They are tough and reliable and moderately accurate with iron sights. They make a good coon gun as you can beat a coon to death with one and run over it with a pickup without breaking it. On the minus side they have lousy triggers and won't hold zero for shyt when scoped.

You're probably using way too good of a scope. The old timer I coon hunted with had one of those $15.95 tascos on his. He kept it in his truck box and never unloaded it and never cleaned it, dropped tools on it, and never missed with it. lol
© 24hourcampfire