Home
Posted By: avagadro Remington 547 .... - 08/25/15
.... anyone try or shoot one regularly? Saw reference to one in a gun rag and had to look it up. Neat looking little rifle. Saw cabelas had one for $1500 .... is that going rate??

g
Posted By: navlav8r Re: Remington 547 .... - 08/25/15
I've seen a few on Gunbroker and that's fairly representative depending on how fancy the wood is.
Posted By: ldholton Re: Remington 547 .... - 08/25/15
You can get a long ways to building a good 40x .22 for 1500
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Remington 547 .... - 08/26/15
Copy that.
Posted By: BurninDupont Re: Remington 547 .... - 08/26/15
Originally Posted by avagadro
.... anyone try or shoot one regularly? Saw reference to one in a gun rag and had to look it up. Neat looking little rifle. Saw cabelas had one for $1500 .... is that going rate??

g

I have one that we bought about 5 years ago and I remember paying around $1100 new. I can tell you it is extremely accurate with Eley Target (yellow box). However, the Eley Target are the only bullet that extract every time. Most other brands and especially the cheaper stuff must have a fatter rim or body or something because it gets stuck in the chamber and need to be knocked out. The magazine is also cheap plastic which is surprising.

I stocked up on Eley and use it for squirrel hunting with a Leopold 3-9x33 VX2 EFR Rimfire scope. It is a deadly combination.
Posted By: wareagle Re: Remington 547 .... - 09/01/15
1100-1200 is the normal price I've seen them sell for. It's on my bucket list for sure. It's a nicer rifle then the KoA Kimber in the same price range and the fact that they are actually custom shop rifles I'd bet on the accuracy.
Posted By: silver78 Re: Remington 547 .... - 09/01/15
The people who know the most about the 547 can be found at the RFC Remington forum. There is a 57 page sticky thread at the top of the Remington forum. If you have a question about the 547 ask there.

Here is a little info from someone who has followed the thread for years, but there are several posters there who know much more than I do.

The 547 custom shop only model evolved from the non-custom shop 504 which had accuracy problems and was discontinued after about 2 years of production.

Early on you could find 547s for around $1,000 new. I think those days are gone and prices have gone up. Part of this is that Remington 547s are no longer produced in NY as they moved production to the Dakota facility. While it is my personal guess that quality is higher at the Dakota facility I think this needs to be verified over time.

When the 547s were being produced in NY I considered buying one but chose a Cooper JSR instead. Back then the wood was just lame looking. I was surprised when I handled it at how bland the stock looked. From what I have seen more recently the 547s from the Dakota facility have nicer wood.
© 24hourcampfire