Home
Posted By: Citori16 Ruger 77 22Mag Opinions? - 08/29/15
Anyone had any experience with the Ruger 22Mag bolt action gun with laminated stock? Nice looking used one FS at LGS. Are they accurate?
Posted By: avagadro Re: Ruger 77 22Mag Opinions? - 08/29/15
Mine is.
Posted By: tmitch Re: Ruger 77 22Mag Opinions? - 08/29/15
^Ditto^. I also picked up an identical factory barrel in .17HMR for cheap, and swap back and forth.
Originally Posted by Citori16
Anyone had any experience with the Ruger 22Mag bolt action gun with laminated stock? Nice looking used one FS at LGS. Are they accurate?

Damn nice rifles and they are accurate. However, so are the new Americans at 1/2 the price..
Posted By: rj112275 Re: Ruger 77 22Mag Opinions? - 08/29/15
I had one years ago and it was excellent at 100yds. It was the darker gray with laminated stock. I think they called it the target or varmint rifle. It was heavy, but shot really well.
Had 3 different ones, nice especially for a 22, shot well enough, but I wouldn't call them tack drivers.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger 77 22Mag Opinions? - 08/29/15
Older ones have clamped barrels, which you can swap with 17HMR as above or better WMR barrel. New ones are fixed. Triggers can be lightened with a $7 spring or sear replaced for $44 or so. Very good guns, if not always the most accurate out of the box.
Posted By: passport Re: Ruger 77 22Mag Opinions? - 08/29/15
There ok but as bsa said so is the RAR and you can have a 22 AND a 22 mag for the same coin...

I doubt one would out shoot the other
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Ruger 77 22Mag Opinions? - 08/29/15
I have no doubts the the RAR will shoot well, actually great, but the feel of a M77/22 is a whole other thing. If I was on a budget it would be a RAR hands down, but I have (2) M77/22 at the moment and wouldn't mind adding a third in either 22mag or 17 HMR. I also shoot a couple M77 mark II center fires and like the similarities between my rimfire and my centerfire.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Ruger 77 22Mag Opinions? - 08/30/15
If you want stainless, the 77/22 is the only option for now. I hope they eventually turn out a SS RAR. I would like to put one together for my grandson and stainless is the best choice for a nipper.

Another issue for you might be the weight. The target models are pretty beefy.

I just checked the Ruger site and the model you mention is no longer in the line. They have essentially the same configuration in walnut though. 24" barrel, 7 1/2 lbs.
© 24hourcampfire