Home
Posted By: Bling Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
What would you recommend? I don't want no varmint barrel. Just standard sporter. Nothing 1000$. I have a Tbolt 22mag on order need a good 22. What say you?
Posted By: Brazos Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
Savage 23.
Make sure the magazine comes with it.
Posted By: deflave Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
CZ 455 or a Ruger 10/22.

Travis
Posted By: rem141r Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
i'm a fan of the ruger 77/22. good used ones can be had for $4-500. another $50 for trigger and maybe a little barrel channel work and it will shoot dime sized groups at 50 yards with most ammo. i have 3. only had to mess with one to get it shooting squirrel head groups.

but if you are going the tbolt route, maybe just get a tbolt.
Posted By: Bling Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
Tbolts any account?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
77/22s are my favorite, but are pricey these days. A trigger spring from Ernie the Gunsmith is a simple way to get the trigger down to a usable level without grinding anything, and for $7. The Timney works great, but does require some fitting and costs $45.

CZs are your best shot at gettng a shooter more or less out of the box at a reasonable price and are "nicer" than anything in the same price range. The trigger may take a little work and the safety's bass-ackwards, which got to be a PITA to me in the woods. Others don't care.

10/22s are great and can be tinkered with no end. I like the takedown model, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

There was an extended love-fest here about the Ruger Americans a while ago and folks seem to really like them. Very affordable and are supposed to be good shooters. If they ever offer it in stainless, I'll have to get one, just because.

Just looked on GB, and the TBolt walnut/blued guns look pretty nice, but a bit spendy. I also found a couple of blued/synthetic 77/22s for under $500. That's a deal.

Yea I figured cz be named but the safety is bass akwards lol
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
I have a little over 30 of the 22 rifles.
I like the Winchester 61 pump the best.
But just about any cheap single shot bolt action will get the job done.
Posted By: Gus Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
my first .22 was a model 572 pump, fieldmaster. it would do it all then, and still will. shoots shorts, longs & long rifle interchangeably and without a hiccup.

also enjoy my Erma - Iver Johnson .22 semi-auto made in Germany.

but overall i like the Browning semi-autos. i have a Norinco clone of the Browning. i think i would like the Browning even better. light, easy to load, point and shoot.

but for an adult sized gun, the CZ base case is hard to beat. that'd be any of them.
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
Originally Posted by deflave
CZ 455 or a Ruger 10/22.

Travis

Yup, yup. The CZ was the most accurate .22 I've ever owned, the 10/22 is the most fun(and plenty, minute of squirrel, accurate).
Posted By: steve99 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
Old school is good too.Just got this last night.

Attached picture Rem M 12C rite b.jpg
im partial to browning lol
Posted By: Steve Redgwell Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
Originally Posted by Bling
What would you recommend? I don't want no varmint barrel. Just standard sporter. Nothing 1000$. I have a Tbolt 22mag on order need a good 22. What say you?

When you say 'sporter', do you have action in mind? Like many others, I own several different 22s. Will you be hunting with it, or just plinking?

Marlin is the way to go if you want a cheap and accurate autoloader that doesn't need to be modded. A Model 60 is inexpensive and will outshoot a Ruger 10/22 out of the box 99 times out of 100. If you don't want a tubular mag, the Model 795 uses a mag.

I have owned and shot Rems, Ruger and Marlin autoloaders, I tried twice to love the 10-22, but the triggers were atrocious and the accuracy was so-so on both. I had no time or desire to spend money on aftermarkets things to make it shoot better.

The 597 shot better than the Ruger, but I had mag issues with mine. Granted, this was a few years ago. I believe they worked out the kinks with their feed problems. I didn't care for the Rem stock either, but that was just me.

The Marlin shot well out of the box. The trigger was better than the Ruger, but that's subjective too. The pull was lighter, but both were gritty, long pulls.
Posted By: javman Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
Bought a CZ 99 .22 this summer and getting .5 inch groups at 50yds, surprising accurate for me and paid $189.
Posted By: WyoCoyoteHunter Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
cz....
I'll pass on Marlin want something lil more nice
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
I've probably had 50 .22's over the last 40 odd years. My favorite is still a little Marlin 989m2 semi auto carbine {M1 carbine look alike} I bought new in 1976. The little bugger is super light and handy, never jams and puts 5 shots on a quarter at 50 yards on demand. It's been a critter killing machine for me and has outperformed alot of rifles 2-3 times it's price.
I have a old Marlin and it jams up and such bust lives left bad taste in my mouth.
Posted By: pal Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
My 1971 Marlin '39D.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
Best "cheap" .22 lr is a Marlin model 60, IMO. Mine is as accurate as any out of the box 10-22 I've ever owned. And I love the tube fed version.

And I must be the only person in the world who's never owned a reliable 10-22 magazine. I hate em !

Not cheap at all any more, but my favorite 22 lr is still a Nylon 66. Tube fed, of course!
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
I've had six 10-22's over the years. None were as accurate or reliable as my Marlin semi's of which I currently own 3. The aforementioned 989m2, a 1991 vintage M995 and a M60.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
Well lets see,,,
Picked up a Marlin 60 for fifty bucks at a yard sale.
Bought a Simmons 3x9 online for $49.99 that came with a $30 rebate.
Bought some rings today for $7.99 over in Oregon, so no tax.
$77.98, and if it shoots as well as the last 60 I had it will be money well spent.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Buying a 22 - 11/14/15
As soon as I read the OP's question I knew my answer!

I have 4 Ruger 10/22 full length stock rifles,
a Belgian/Browning take-down, 22 LR semi-auto,
a 452 full stocked CZ bolt-action, 22 rifle . . .

But the one rifle that I have ever shot the best and
most consistently with, was my friends Marlin, Model 60.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Buying a 22 - 11/15/15
It comes down to personal precerence. Marlin 60s are the tack drivers of the semi world in bone stock form. CZs are very accurate and affordable. 10/22s have the most aftermarket support if you wanna tinker with it.

I myself like about any bolt gun and I have several 10/22s but my favorite .22 is (and I know folk are gonna ridicule me for this) the Remington 597. Not a lot of aftermarket support but they're a few companies that make stuff for them. I put a volquartsen target hammer and Mcarbo springs in it and it's a pleasure to shoot. Fits like a shotgun and shoots better than all three of my 10/22s. The bolt guide system is leaps and bounds better than any blowback semi system out there. The open sights are better than most also.

Get what you like that's just some reasons why I like the 597.
Posted By: deflave Re: Buying a 22 - 11/15/15
Everybody has different uses for different things, and our use for a .22 is usually shooting hundreds of little, tiny, grass eating rats every spring and summer, and of course bunnies. When you shoot 500 rounds at live targets in a day, you gots to keep the ammo flowing and you can't fugk around with jams, and nobody wants to miss due to the guns lack of ability. This is our solution.

[Linked Image]

That being said, Anschutz can be had for a pretty good price if buying used, but I think finding a 54 in that realm will take some patience. But nothing is better than a 54.

And I do love my 455, but the follow up ability of the 10/22, and flush fitting 10 rounders, make it difficult to leave home.

I have nothing but love for the 60, but that tube feed schit sucks when you are in a target rich environment. Marlin's and magazines don't go together IME.

Follow your heart,
Travis

Posted By: Bling Re: Buying a 22 - 11/15/15
Anyone have a nice browning that trade for a good reconyx game cam?
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Biggest advantage to these is the bottom ejection. Keeps brass out of the heater vents.

Travis
I've always wanted a takedown
They're pretty fun.

Get the Skinner rear sight. Makes them more funner.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Brazos Re: Buying a 22 - 11/15/15
Anyone have a nice browning that trade for a good reconyx game cam?

Another option for basically the same rifle is a Remington 241.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/15/15
Does Shrapnel know you're shooting "his" rabbits?

Is that a Belgian or Yapaneese SA?

While you're up, does that 10/22 TD shoot as well as the regular ones?

I think that'll be all for now.

Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Buying a 22 - 11/15/15
Bling: In the sporter weight class of 22 L.R.'s it is VERY hard to beat the fun factor and reliability of the Ruger Deluxe 10/22's!
I have three of them and they just keep chugging along and now that I have some Ruger 15 round magazines for them they are even more fun and don't look to obtrusive (like the 25 and 50 round Ruger magazines).
Plus my 10/22's have actually increased somewhat in value since I bought them!
There would be nothing wrong with adding a Browning T-bolt in 22 L.R. to sit aside your T-bolt 22 Mag!
Sadly I have traded off both of my original series Browning T-bolt's in 22 L.R.
Boy I wish I had them back.
Best of luck to you with whichever you choose.
I wish I knew more about your intended useages for the 22 L.R. so I could give a more specific opinion.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: tominboise Re: Buying a 22 - 11/15/15
Originally Posted by P_Weed

Biggest advantage to these is the bottom ejection. Keeps brass out of the heater vents.

Travis

+1000.....
Fellas I'll be squirrel hunting with it and small game type things just kinda a fun gun
But I do want 1 with drilled and tapped for scope mount
Posted By: deflave Re: Buying a 22 - 11/16/15
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Does Shrapnel know you're shooting "his" rabbits?

Is that a Belgian or Yapaneese SA?

While you're up, does that 10/22 TD shoot as well as the regular ones?

I think that'll be all for now.

1.) To get to shrapnel's rabbit area requires no less than 8 hours of driving. No thanks.

2.) It says "doy-doy" when you pull the trigger. If that answers your question.

3.) Yes it does. It has the Williams rear peep currently. Shoots like a muthahfugkah.

Travis
But I do want 1 with drilled and tapped for scope mount

Scope on a Browning SA?

Denied.

Travis
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/16/15
fuggabunchapeeps......

[Linked Image]
That'll cost you one demerit.

Travis
mebbe I could use a peeper sight if I wear aviators? My eyebulbs don't work too good with iron sights anymore....
Aviators are key.

To everything.

Travis
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/16/15
The nipper doesn't understand that problem yet, but he will, if cheap beer and Spam don't take him first.
Posted By: Bling Re: Buying a 22 - 11/16/15
How well does that mount work with the browning and scope?
Posted By: Sheister Re: Buying a 22 - 11/16/15
I'm kind of old school when it comes to fun rifles for squirrel and rabbit chasing and the like.

My tastes run to the Winchester 69A, Winchester 75 Sporter, Remington 581, 541T, or 541S. All great guns, very accurate, and you can pick up most of them for around $500-$700 if you keep your eyes open and money in hand ready to hand over quickly.

For a bit more you could find a Winchester 52 Reproduction or a Remington 504 or 547. Nothing wrong with a Winchester 9422 or Marlin 39A either. All classic rifles that will increase in value while you use the heck out of them.

I like the leup mount better than any of the others, even if you gotta get forward to the scope.....
Posted By: Bling Re: Buying a 22 - 11/16/15
How well do they shoot?
minute of sparrow....
Posted By: Citori16 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/18/15
The Browning and more recent Winchester reproduction M52 B are great 22's. Easy to mount scope, fine triggers, and very, very accurate. Even though made in Japan, as accurate as the old 52c I had years ago.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Buying a 22 - 11/18/15
Doing some research on the Jap 52's a few months ago lead me to reading a lot of stories of folks who universally loved the fit and finish. BUT, tales regarding accuracy woes were a bit more plentiful that I would have liked. Spending Nearly $1K, I would like a bit of a warmer feeling. YMMV. As of now, my interests in rimfires no longer have one of these in my stable.
Posted By: Citori16 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/18/15
Both of the newer 52's were bought lightly used. My earlier Browning was only $700 +/- as was my current Winchester. Be that as it may, any amount is too much to pay for a rifle that does not shoot well. Maybe I have just been lucky, but I have enjoyed this type of 22 rifle since owning my 52c. You are missing out on something very nice if you don't try one. Take a bit of time to adjust trigger to your liking and try a few different brands of ammo. Mine likes CCI.
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Buying a 22 - 11/18/15
As the postman said, to each his Zone.

Bolts are OK, but slow on running game and multiple target environments.

Levers, pumps and autos are fast, but - If you want a suppressor, you won't want an under-barrel tube magazine, because you'll have to unscrew the suppressor every time you load.

Box mags allow suppressors, but rimmed cartridges do less well in box mags.

Buttstock tube magazines allow suppressors, but they are all out of production except the Browning. The Browning is fine but the bottom eject will put hot brass down your sleeve if you aren't careful.

They all suck. Just forget the whole thing. ;-)

I happen to like a Marlin 39a a lot. No suppressor tho.

Posted By: Bling Re: Buying a 22 - 11/18/15
what do you fellas mean by box mags?
Posted By: avagadro Re: Buying a 22 - 11/18/15
Detachable magazine... What some incorrectly call a clip
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/18/15
he'll get that.....
Posted By: Bling Re: Buying a 22 - 11/18/15
I'd rather have a tube fed rife
Posted By: rainierrifleco Re: Buying a 22 - 11/18/15
im not a big fan of semi auto 22s my self..my favorite is 77 22 boat paddle then the win pumps and the 39 a
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
im not a big fan of semi auto 22s

Don't shoot a lot of gofers, do ya?
Posted By: Bling Re: Buying a 22 - 11/19/15
Only thing I'll be shooting is likely squirrels
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/19/15
then a single-shot bolt will do ya......
Posted By: Hogeye Re: Buying a 22 - 11/19/15
I started with a single shot bolt. $9.50 for a used J C Higgins rifle and $.50 for a box of .22 short, and I was in business for $10. You can still do that with a Savage Rascal, only the rifle will cost $150 new and ammo has gone up a bit. Receiver sight, Accutrigger, and it weighs so little you won't notice it in your backpack. I wouldn't want a stock that short on a rifle with recoil, but it puts you right up on the receiver sight.
Posted By: Bling Re: Buying a 22 - 11/19/15
We are thick with them dudes this year. Be like you shootin gophers haha I don't wanna single shot
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Buying a 22 - 11/19/15
Originally Posted by avagadro
Detachable magazine... What some incorrectly call a clip
Tell that to Marlin firearms co.. They were calling them "clips" in their advertising for the past 40 years at least.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Buying a 22 - 11/20/15
Yeah, you can count on advertising to always be 100% accurate.
Posted By: deflave Re: Buying a 22 - 11/20/15
My 10/22's use a clip.

Travis
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Buying a 22 - 11/20/15
My 10/22's use a clip.

Travis
So do several of my rifles. Anybody too stupid to know what "clip" means is too stupid to keep on living. "Clip" is slang for "detachable box magazine" for the numerous retards here.
Posted By: avagadro Re: Buying a 22 - 11/20/15
I know what slang is .... When your puzzy inter-web arse believes I no longer deserve to live please feel free to head on up to WA to extinguish lame self.

Here yet ?
I know what slang is .... When your puzzy inter-web arse believes I no longer deserve to live please feel free to head on up to WA to extinguish lame self.

Here yet ?
Wait a minute..... I'm trembling ! Hmmmmmmmmmm..... Nope, just a fart. But hey, if it makes you feel better thinking you'd kick my azz, please feel free to dream on. I really couldn't care less.
No no .... You're the one who feels my lack of slang usage warrants my death ..... On your way??
Posted By: 700LH Re: Buying a 22 - 11/20/15
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
No no .... You're the one who feels my lack of slang usage warrants my death ..... On your way??
Never said I'd kill someone who didn't know what a "clip" was, only that they were too stupid to keep living. Dumb as you obviously are, It would probably be a wasted trip anyway. It's quite likely you'll step in front of a bus or drown in your soup any day.
Originally Posted by 700LH
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Well whaddaya know. Who'da thunk it ?
Exactly... Anything to weasel out. I'll stay away from the soup and give your genius your perceived divine duty rid the gene pool of my pathetic existence.

Leave yet?
Originally Posted by Blackheart
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Changing the name to appease the masses is an old trick offered by industry to sell trinkets ..... Who da thunk' it?

Leave yet???
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
If I felt like wasting my time and money to come see you I'd beat you like a rented mule. I'm not a geriatric, pansy azz desk jockey like most here. You'd not like the bloody mess I'd leave you in. Luckily for you, retards simply aren't worth my time.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
Originally Posted by Blackheart
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Changing the name to appease the masses is an old trick offered by industry to sell trinkets ..... Who da thunk' it?

Leave yet???
If the masses call em clips then they're clips azzhole.
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
Holy crap!

Really!!??

All this fuss over the use of "clip" rather than "magazine"?

Save your anger for the muzzies coming and the liberal demorats.

Unbelievable.
Posted By: deflave Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
My CZ uses a clip as well.

Travis
Posted By: winchesterpoor Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
So does my Winchester 52R Zanders HB sporter, It shoots so good I sold the original 56' 52C sporter, 5K is just to high dollar to drag in woods like I do! I damn loved it BUT, im a pre 64 mod 70 loon and something had to go! very best winpoor
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Holy crap!

Really!!??

All this fuss over the use of "clip" rather than "magazine"?

Save your anger for the muzzies coming and the liberal demorats.

Unbelievable.

Too much red meat, or too little of the pink and slippery.
Posted By: Sheister Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
Looks like a couple members need to cut back on the caffeine a bit....

A lot of .22's will suffice for squirrel hunting. My personal preference would be a quality blued/wood bolt action like most American manufacturers used to make but seldom do any more.
An easier cue for recommendations would be to know what your budget is and go from there. A nice Win 69A can be had for around $300 or a bit more, where a Win 52 repro is going to be in the $800 range or thereabouts. The 69A may not hang with the 52R at the range, but it will be minute of squirrel any day.
Also, what sighting system are you looking to use or install? Some rifles lend themselves to scopes and fine peeps, others are more the open sights and lower grade peeps, etc....

Are you looking for blued and good walnut or aluminum and plastic? Long barrels (and sight radius) or short carbines? Full sized rifle or light and short? 5 round mags or 10-15-25 round mags? Heirloom piece or a throwaway rifle after a few seasons of rough use?

Just trying to narrow this down and cut off the (attempted) bitch slapping going on above.... besides, this should get the natives talking a bit.... smile

Bob
Posted By: Bling Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
Yea just a blued wood I don't need nothin silly [bleep] count wise prefer something that is lil better and worth keeping. Size don't matter would prefer a tube fed bolt but I'm partial to a browning
A great place to start your search would be pawn shops in your area. Usually lots of rimfires in stock and once in a while you'll come across a gem.

Bob
Yea just a blued wood I don't need nothin silly [bleep] count wise prefer something that is lil better and worth keeping. Size don't matter would prefer a tube fed bolt but I'm partial to a browning

You want a blued/wood tube fed bolt?

Travis
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
not only that, a browning......
Well this is gettin' to be a little ri-godamned-ridiculous.

Clark
Winchester 72 or a Remington 582 should be the ticket.

Blued, wood, tube fed, great shooters and accurate.

Bob
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
Sounds like a browning 52 repro satisfies most of your requirements anyway..
Posted By: tmitch Re: Buying a 22 - 11/21/15
Well this is gettin' to be a little ri-godamned-diculous

^^^Yup^^^

Just buy somethin' already!!
© 24hourcampfire