Home
Had the crew out a couple weeks ago and my daughter struggled with the little scope on the 15-22.

What are you guys using on your rimfire rifles these days?
Top choices are

Leupold VX2 4-12 AO
Weaver V16
Leupold 3X9 EFR
Weaver 2-7 and 3-9 rimfire
Clearridge ultra RM

Any scope will work, but you will get your best pinpoint accuracy from scopes that allow you to adjust parallax or from rimfire scopes that have parallax set at 50 yards.

When I say pinpoint accuracy,I'm talking same hole at 50 yards. If quarter sized groups at 50 are acceptable,or just plinking parallax won't matter so much. The higher the magnification the more parallax error can be.
Depends on what you mean by struggled. Not knowing anything about your daughter, such as age, size and experience, and what kind of shooting......targets, tin cans or vermin, it's hard to recommend something. The scopes R H listed above are good choices, my favorite being the Leup 3-9 EFR. My 7 yr old grand daughter struggles with any scope mainly due to eye relief/box issues. She's just learning so tin cans are usually the game of choice, and a red dot works out well for her.
I've got a Leupold 3-9 EFR and a 2-7 VXI on my two scoped 22s.

IMO a good basic, budget 22RF scope is the Simmons RF 4x. There's not much to go wrong with it and for $50 if it gets beat up it's no big deal.

Todays RF scopes are considerably better than what used to be considered appropriate for 22 RFs. I killed a lot of squirrels with headshots using a Weaver B4 scope back in the 50s & early 60s. That scope was nowhere as good as todays cheaper RF scopes.
I really like the Leupold 2-7X compact rimfire scope
I have one Leupold, but my last 3 builds have the Nikon Target EFR 3-9x40 with adjustable parallax. It's a great scope, can be found about $160, and has a very nice reticle with a small dot in the middle of the crosshairs. I don't know about the BDC version, but the target version is my go-to rimfire scope right now.
Depending on the age and size of your daughter I would not use an AO scope on it as I think it will be too heavy. A nice light 4x rimfire scope would be dandy for 20 yrd shooting. When they master that then you can bump stuff up as required.
My daughter struggled with the eye-relief and smaller exit pupil.

She is older and larger, so scope size wouldn't a big problem.
Originally Posted by Tarkio
My daughter struggled with the eye-relief and smaller exit pupil.

She is older and larger, so scope size wouldn't a big problem.

What scope was on it that didn't work for her? I've found the Leupold and Weaver 2-7's easy to get behind.

If you are shooting 25 yards without an AO at very much magnification you won't have a clear view. I haven't found the Leupolds in 4-12 or 3-9 with AO to be heavy enough to make any difference over the non AO version.
Weaver Classic K4 works on about any long gun at reasonable ranges.
I have a 4x Nikon Prostaff on my Marlin 7000. I am very happy with it.
http://www.natchezss.com/nikon-refurbished-4x32-prostaff-rimfire-classic-nikoplex-reticle-matte.html
Nikon rimfire BDC 150, I have 2 of them and love them. I also use red dot scopes on my 10/22 tactical. Kids love shooting with the red dots.
Straight 4X Leupold. Standard or rimfire.

Red dots are probably the most forgiving of all.

Dave
Originally Posted by deflave
Straight 4X Leupold. Standard or rimfire.

Red dots are probably the most forgiving of all.

Dave

What he said....

For a dedicated squirrel rifle, a little more power is helpful.
I think Luepold is giving a 100.00 rebate on vx3 scopes. I think the deal ends 12/31. Upgrade one of you scopes and put the extra on your 22.
That being said I have a couple of vx2's on my 22's. Also a couple of 6x18 Nikon Buckmasters . All have AO. Hasbeen
The Weaver Rimfire 3-9x32 is an excellent scope.
I have the new Redfield 2x7 with tactical knobs on a 10/22, and have been very happy with it.
Though they have been discontinued for a while now my first choice is a "Baby Redfield" 3/4" 4x, if I cannot locate one of those I have Leupold Compact 4x on some of my RF's. Either scope performs fine, I just prefer the Redfield as its size is better proportioned to a .22 rifles's size. On my vintage .22's I have Lyman Alaskan with 2 minute LEE dot.
I use both the Leupold VX-2 4-12 AO and 3-9 EFR and could not be happier with both. I actually have a spare 3-9 EFR I am considering selling if interested.
Like shootbrownelk, I really enjoy my Nikons. I have Loopys, Burris, and of course, a few Chickens.....all of which are good.

My RAR 22mag has a Nikon P-22 and I like it just fine from 50 to 300 yardos

Midsouth has them for $162 and free shipping.
Burris Timberline 4.5x14x32 w/AO 10yds. to infinity
I have an old Burris 4X12 Rimfire on my favorite Kimber 82, a Leupold/Kimber marked 4X on the other.

The Browning Belgian Auto-22 has a Browning 3/4" 4X

The CZ Mannlicher .22 WMR has a Leupold 2X7 Rimfire and the old Winchester M61 WMR runs a Leupold 4X rimfire.

The old 52 Bullgun has a Unertyl 20X
Originally Posted by Tarkio
Had the crew out a couple weeks ago and my daughter struggled with the little scope on the 15-22.

What are you guys using on your rimfire rifles these days?

Youngster with presumably good eyesight? Ditch the scope and let her use irons. Really.

God made youngster see well just so they could use iron sights.
I'm using the Weaver RV9 3-9x32 AO on two, and a Burris FFII 2-7x35 on another. I agree with DD - if I was starting a youngster out, I'd want them to learn on open sights first before introducing them to optics.
I have a Bushnell 4-12x40 AO on my CZ453. Bug holes all day long.
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

Youngster with presumably good eyesight? Ditch the scope and let her use irons. Really.

God made youngster see well just so they could use iron sights.

When I was 35 I could hit the nail holding the target at 100' with peep sights front and rear.

When I was 40 my eyes got stuck being focused at 3'.

If you are shooting jackrabbits between the sage, open fire sights or red dot.

If you are shooting pigeons, on the roost, a scope with elevation turret and rangefinder are needed.

If you are shooting coons and skunks in the have a heart trap, you don't need sights.
The scope and crosshairs can be whatever turns your crank. However, I wouldn't have a rimfire that didn't have an AO.

Just my opinion.
THIS^^^^^^
Since my two kids had eagle eyes I get the drift of the other posters sentiment but I see better today at 56 than I did when I was a child.

Go figure.

I have a Leupold variable rim fire on a 22 WMR and a Leupold 6X w/AO on another rim fire.
© 24hourcampfire