Home
Posted By: seal_billy Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
What .22 auto do you like better than the 10/22 and why?
Posted By: TXRam Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
After having had a few stock 10/22's, including a target model, I prefer my Marlins honestly. Now, if you want to tinker and accurize (& spend $), the 10/22 is the way to go. But stock, my Marlins definitely outshoot my 10/22's.
Posted By: Bluemonday Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by seal_billy

S&W 15-22, because it's set up just like my AR's, is very accurate, and the take-down model is standard.
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
I have a 10-22 and I like it, but I prefer my T/C Classic.
Posted By: JSH Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
The TC Classics are pretty nice. The 10-22 is so adaptable you can make it anything you want.
I like my Browning for its take down and aesthetics but tube magazines are kind of a pain in semi-autos.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by TXRam
After having had a few stock 10/22's, including a target model, I prefer my Marlins honestly. Now, if you want to tinker and accurize (& spend $), the 10/22 is the way to go. But stock, my Marlins definitely outshoot my 10/22's.

I think the Marlin 795 barrel shoots better than the typical factory 10/22 carbine. A little heavier profile too. But the trigger sucks and not much aftermarket support.
Posted By: TAGLARRY Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
I love my Model 60. I bought it because everyone and their brother has a 10-22, I wanted something different. I bought the stainless steel model with the black and grey wood stock. It shoots great.

[Linked Image]][/url]
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I have a 10-22 and I like it, but I prefer my T/C Classic.

The T/C Classic or R-55 will give you bug hole accuracy with out having to rebuild a 10/22 into an accurate rifle. Sorry that T/C discontinued the rifle yet plenty clean rifles still available on Gunbroker.

Doc
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
I guessed the responses perfectly. I knew the model 60 would be mentioned. I thought of the TC classic also.

My favorite is probably gonna go against the grain. I like the Remington 597 because the ergonomics, better iron sights, better guide system, it has a factory bolt buffer, hold open on the last shot and the magazine release is in a better place. The gun started out with some hiccups but was straitened out pretty quickly. The only weak point is the magazines, which had two changes and are now pretty good but only run with 100% reliability if I load 9 instead of 10. It fits like a shotgun. The 597 out shoots all three of my 10/22s too.

I would like a model 60 and a TC classic to be in my safe.

Posted By: Blackheart Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
I've owned 6 10-22's over the last 30 years. None shot as well as my 1976 vintage Marlin 989m2 or my 1990 vintage Marlin 995. Both of the Marlins have been very reliable and both will group 5 shots under 3/4" at 50 yards with ammo they like.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16

The only 10/22 I have is for sale here . I ended up with it by default.

My favorite .22 semi-auto is the Classic Winchester model 63, next the Weatherby MK XXII.

Won't knock the 10/22'sā€¦ā€¦ā€¦.but won't own 'em either.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
T/C, again.....

[Linked Image]
15-22, again.....

[Linked Image]
can't believe the leetle Browning has no love......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
Seal-billy: I have owned, Hunted with and used just about EVERY semi-automatic 22 rimfire that has been available in the last 50+ years.
Including those made by:
Winchester in models 1903, 74, 77, 63, 190 & 490
Remington in models 24, 241, 66, 550 & 552
Marlins of several models
Browning
Weatherby
Volquartsen
T/C
Tactical Solutions
savage
Some of these latter listed semi-auto 22's were purchased on a whim or with intent to make a profit on them but never the less I shot them and gave them a "fun factor" and accuracy test.
In my experience NONE of the above listed 22 semi-autos I have owned measure up (all around) to the fun factor, reliability, accuracy, ease of loading and value for dollars invested to the Ruger 10/22!
You want an accurate, reliable, fun 22 semi-auto then buy, use and if necessary make a couple of MINOR additions to a heavy barrel Ruger 10/22!
I have NEVER found the accuracy of one of these heavy barrel Ruger 10/22's to be lacking in ANY type of field, small game or Varmint Hunting situation!
I have very few Rifles that I would NEVER consider selling - among those few are my heavy barrel Ruger 10/22's.
The answer to your question is, NONE!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
Nothing against the 10-22. I've got a scoped one and like it but this one took some trigger and stock work to get it to shoot the way I thought it should.

A guy I shoot with bought a Model 60 Marlin about 15/20 years ago. It shot good right out of the box. He's shot it a lot, kept it clean and never had any problems with it.

Another one worth considering is the older Remington 552 BDL with the Model 700 style adjustable sights and lower comb stock. These sights are considerably better than typical rimfire sights and the stocks have enough drop that the sights line up pretty naturally for most shooters. They are grooved for scope mounting but since it's the only 22 I can shoot ok with open sights I took the scope off. It's plenty accurate for my use with or without the scope. They'll also function with shorts, longs or long rifles. If I could only keep one 22 it would probably be this one. I've seen these in VG condition on gunbroker go for a under three hundred bucks.

Posted By: JSH Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by huntsman22
can't believe the leetle Browning has no love......

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like mine but in my experience with couple of them, they weren't as reliable as the 10-22s I've been around. They sure are handy and look nice though.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16

If you're going to buy a .22 semi-auto to shoot bone stock, I think that the Marlin 60 is a better choice.
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I think the Marlin 795 barrel shoots better than the typical factory 10/22 carbine. A little heavier profile too. But the trigger sucks and not much aftermarket support.

The 795 is the same as the 60, but with a single-stack detachable mag instead of the tube mag. I've shot a ton of 60's and think the 795 stays a little cleaner and more reliable. My guess is that the detachable mag allows crud to fall out of the action when it's removed. Just a guess, but the 60's seemed to get packed with crud.

I think the 795 magazine is more reliable than the 10/22, but that trigger is tough to deal with. Still, it'd surprise the schit outta many.

Dug this target out of the trash after one session. I couldn't shoot it this well all the time, but overall it'd out-shoot the average 10/22 with equally bad trigger and scope grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
The 995 was basically the same as the 795 only with a checkered walnut stock and better sights. I've also had a bunch of 60's and agree the clip fed models are usually more reliable and more accurate than the tube fed.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
Always wanted one of those brownings. Good as I like the picture of the Browning the crow makes it. I hate them dang things and a dead one is the best kind. I have killed dump truck loads of them with a shotgun but never one with a rifle.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
I hate Browing SAs and the first time you shoot one and a hot case gets ejected down your shirt sleeve you will too.
Posted By: doctor_Encore Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/14/16
Originally Posted by huntsman22
T/C, again.....

[Linked Image]

Huntsman,

Did you drop the T/C heavy barrel Lynx model into the T/C Classic stock?

Doc
What scope mount is that on the Browning?
Posted By: milespatton Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
I like about anything better than the ruger 10-22. They just don't fit me for some reason or the other. Without a scope, I can't get down low enough and scoped they feel awkward. Not knocking them for others, the just don't fit me. My all time favorite is the Nylon 66. I bought a used one in 1965 and put it through hell, on purpose, just to see if it would do as advertised. It did, and more. Toughest rifle that I have ever seen. miles
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
Originally Posted by milespatton
I like about anything better than the ruger 10-22. They just don't fit me for some reason or the other. Without a scope, I can't get down low enough and scoped they feel awkward. Not knocking them for others, the just don't fit me. My all time favorite is the Nylon 66. I bought a used one in 1965 and put it through hell, on purpose, just to see if it would do as advertised. It did, and more. Toughest rifle that I have ever seen. miles

^^^This^^^

Love my old Nylon 66!

My second choice would be my old Marlin Model 60 Carbine with the short barrel.
I love tube fed .22's. I hate magazine fed .22's!
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
yessir.

web, leupold dd
Posted By: Bugout4x4 Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
Nylon 66...Loved mine as a Kid, wore it out. Wish they would reproduce them again, there is definitely a Market for them if they did.

Sounds like it might be time for a "Request Contact" Campaign?

http://www.remington.com/contact-us

Found a working link and submitted my request!

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
Does your classic feed holler* points? Mine would not, out of either magazine. I traded it for a nice Ruger Bearcat that fed holler points, and everything else perfectly. grin

It was nicely accurate, and had a great trigger. Might want to try one again someday.

*so named because they make stuff holler when you hit 'em
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
If you wore out a Nylon 66, remind me not to lend you any anvils!šŸ˜±
Originally Posted by Pappy348

They are tough for sure! smile But unfortunately no matter how clean you try to keep them, the Desert and a LOT of Rounds Fired almost everyday over many years of Hunting and Plinking will eventually make one sloppy to the point of concern.

I would buy about 4 new ones right now for Family Members and a couple more very soon for the oldest two Grandkids. Really would like to see them start building them again! smile

I dropped them a line about considering this option. More is better...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

They are tough for sure! smile But unfortunately no matter how clean you try to keep them, the Desert and a LOT of Rounds Fired almost everyday over many years of Hunting and Plinking will eventually make one sloppy to the point of concern.

I would buy about 4 new ones right now for Family Members and a couple more very soon for the oldest two Grandkids. Really would like to see them start building them again! smile

When I was a kid, my friend had a Nylon 66 and we shot it everyday, until we got 10-22's and marlin 60's... The nylon 66 was a jamming sob.. The marlin's were definitely a lot more accurate, but be careful when taking one apart to clean. Holy fu ck!!!! That's the nice thing about Ruger, they kept it simple...
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Seal-billy: I have owned, Hunted with and used just about EVERY semi-automatic 22 rimfire that has been available in the last 50+ years.
Including those made by:
Winchester in models 1903, 74, 77, 63, 190 & 490
Remington in models 24, 241, 66, 550 & 552
Marlins of several models
Browning
Weatherby
Volquartsen
T/C
Tactical Solutions
savage
Some of these latter listed semi-auto 22's were purchased on a whim or with intent to make a profit on them but never the less I shot them and gave them a "fun factor" and accuracy test.
In my experience NONE of the above listed 22 semi-autos I have owned measure up (all around) to the fun factor, reliability, accuracy, ease of loading and value for dollars invested to the Ruger 10/22!
You want an accurate, reliable, fun 22 semi-auto then buy, use and if necessary make a couple of MINOR additions to a heavy barrel Ruger 10/22!
I have NEVER found the accuracy of one of these heavy barrel Ruger 10/22's to be lacking in ANY type of field, small game or Varmint Hunting situation!
I have very few Rifles that I would NEVER consider selling - among those few are my heavy barrel Ruger 10/22's.
The answer to your question is, NONE!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I agree. I also just bought a 10-22T the other day because I've wanted one for so long. I've had some 10-22's that were extremely accurate and some that were absolute dogs!! One particular stainless model I had was a damn good shooter, so I threw it into a nice walnut stock and left the rest alone:

Iron sights at 50 yards with bulk ammo:
[Linked Image]

10 shot group at 50 yards with scope:
[Linked Image]

I've had many different types of semi-auto 22lr's and the 10-22 is the best for my needs...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Bugout4x4

When I was a kid, my friend had a Nylon 66 and we shot it everyday, until we got 10-22's and marlin 60's... The nylon 66 was a jamming sob.. The marlin's were definitely a lot more accurate, but be careful when taking one apart to clean. Holy fu ck!!!! That's the nice thing about Ruger, they kept it simple...

Taking it apart for a thorough cleaning was an issue. I would use spray cleaner liberal and blow it out good with a Blowgun then brush the Bore well and re-oil every couple outings. Although others might have had the same Jamming issues you speak of it happened to me very seldom if at all if I remember right.

But my memory is not what it used to be either. lol

Oh I see, you may have talking about the Marlin being a pain to take apart? The Remington wasn't a whole lot easier as I remember. smile
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
yep, loves fed bulk hp's.....
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
I never found Marlin's or nylon 66's difficult to detail strip and reassemble. Taking a Marlin apart for a thorough cleaning is so simple a cave man could do it.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
I do love the 10/22 and it is the easiest to completely strip and clean. The Remington 597 is fairly simple too but the action rods require a little finesse, there is a trick to getting them back in with the springs on them. Once you figure it out its cake.

The 597 also has 2 action screws and is floated from the factory. Great little gun and it's cheaper than the 10/22. Not a lot of aftermarket support but some. I put a volquartsen target hammer in mine and the trigger is nice now, not perfect mind you but very acceptable. I may do the Mcarbo springs and lighten it a little more. Every couple of years someone else comes out with another aftermarket dohicky for it. Tech sights make a peep for it now, I may try those.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
If I am going to shoot groups at the range at 50yards, the Shilen select match stainless steel bull barrel with Bentz chamber and target 22LR will get small groups.

But if I want to pop a coon in the brain in the back yard at 10 feet with a CCI CB Short, the 10/22 will not do it.

Go to a 1960s Rem 550-1 semi auto or a Rem 572 pump or a Win 61 pump.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
I had a 572 pump. It was the most inaccurate. 22 I ever owned. I'm sure I got a lemon.
Posted By: DakotaDeer Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
I've shot all the others except the TC Classic.

I go back to the 10/22 every time. It gets the job done, simply.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
Picked up a marlin 795 from a buddy that out shoots my 10/22 with a target hammer.

Wish I never sold my nylon though... doh!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/15/16
I had a 572 pump. It was the most inaccurate. 22 I ever owned. I'm sure I got a lemon.

These varmints were taken with CCI CB shorts that my 10/22s will not shoot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: kecatt Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/16/16

I lucked out and picked up a used Marlin 7000 several years ago. I installed a DIP trigger guard and trigger. It is my go-to rimfire with my S&W 15-22 next.
Having said that, I owned a 10/22 many years ago and liked it well enough.

This is it but it wears a Nikon 4x rimfire scope now.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: TXRam Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/16/16
Originally Posted by kecatt

I lucked out and picked up a used Marlin 7000 several years ago. I installed a DIP trigger guard and trigger. It is my go-to rimfire with my S&W 15-22 next.

[Linked Image]

I bought one of those new almost 20yrs ago for $149 at Academy. THE BEST shooting semi-auto I've ever seen, and mine is stock with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-10x40.

Scary accurate for a semi-auto with a crappy trigger and 100yd parallax scope.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/16/16
Originally Posted by TXRam
Originally Posted by kecatt

[Linked Image]

I bought one of those new almost 20yrs ago for $149 at Academy. THE BEST shooting semi-auto I've ever seen, and mine is stock with a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-10x40.

Scary accurate for a semi-auto with a crappy trigger and 100yd parallax scope.

I'll bet that rifle is a shooting sob...
Posted By: Bugout4x4 Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/19/16
Reply back from Remington...

Remington Support Service Ticket Response

The Factory has not considered coming back with the Nylon 66 that I'm aware of. It would be cost prohibitive.

Thank you and best regards,
Remington Customer Services

Posted By: watch4bear Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/20/16

[Linked Image]

SOB that's a big coon.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/20/16
Originally Posted by watch4bear

[Linked Image]

SOB that's a big coon.
Not really. I got two out of the same ravine one night that measured 52 and 53" from tip of nose to tip of tail.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/20/16
Originally Posted by watch4bear

SOB that's a big coon.

That coon was 17.5 pounds.
I have taken 39 coons averaging 12.5 pounds.
I have taken one bigger, 19.5 pounds

[Linked Image]

Colt Lightnigh 22 Long made 1890
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/21/16
That is a big coon! Biggest one I ever saw was rummaging through our trash can at three in the morning. I had heard him before but never laid eyes on him till one night I got up as soon as I heard the commotion. My son was still in diapers and apparently baby poop is fattening cause that coon loved it sick and he was big big fat as a pig!
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/21/16
Apparently coons run small in the South and PNW. Back when lots of folks still coon hunted and big coon contests were common around here it usually took a 24+ pound coon to win. The biggest one I ever saw entered in a contest was 28 lbs.
Posted By: BT99 Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/21/16
In addition to the 10-22, I have a Remington 550-1. Like it
because it is a full size rifle and it sure shoots better than
I can hold it offhand.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/21/16
I just bought me a Remington 550 as well. Great shooting rifle. I grew up shooting the Nylon 66. Those are hard to beat for a kid, except for the ammo burning holes in your pockets....lol.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/21/16
[Linked Image]

I got my minty 550-1 from the original owner in 2011.
It was made in 1951 when the old guy was a teen ager.
I paid $157.

It has no grooves or holes.
I am going to have to take it apart and drill and tap it, unless I can find another one.

[Linked Image]
I got my 10/22 in the early 80's. It's been totally reliable and shoots good too.

I spent a considerable amount of time during my youth running the hills around here with my cousin and best friend. My cousin had a Marlin Model 60. My best friend had a Browning and a Nylon 66. They both had reliability issues quite often.

It may have been the ammo or maybe they bad examples from their brands? My 10/22 performed without a hitch, so I never had a desire for anything else.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/23/16
Originally Posted by Clarkm

But if I want to pop a coon in the brain in the back yard at 10 feet with a CCI CB Short, the 10/22 will not do it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/355152/volquartsen-22-short-kit-ruger-10-22
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/23/16
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Doubletap,
My above pictured 1951 $157 Rem550-1 in the pic has a half chamber that slides back "recoiling chamber" so the tiny recoil energy of the CCI CB short does not have to do slide acceleration and high friction extraction at the same time.

My 1968 $200 Rem 552 semi auto [later model] does not have a sliding sleeve chamber. It will not cycle CCI CB shorts. I can reduce the recoil spring down to the point of jamming in the forward direction, and it still cannot extract.

I don't know, but I am going to guess that the $230 kit you linked will cycle shorts just great, but not cycle the BB gun silent CCI CB shorts with 0.5 gr gunpowder and a 29 gr bullet that I have been brain shotting the coons with.

So unless you can find a Rem 550-1, not easy to find, CCI CB shorts are fastest shot though pump 22s.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/23/16
Killed a fair number of varmints with CBs
541T HB, Anschutz 1403 and 141
Got one chuck under the shed with a Ruger Mk1 Target by flashlight.
541T-HB shot them better than the others, but that plastic mag and diminutive bolt handle made me dump it (before the prices went crazy- still made a little).
Most fun was a 572 with CB's.......it held quite a few when in the short version.

Have used a 10/22 single feed........sucked.

Have had a few other .22 rifles, and several 10/22's.
But am down to a TC Contender and one 10/22.

I did swap out the factory hammer for a Volq. Gun had been shot by prev owner a bunch, but the trigger still sucked.

[Linked Image]

BTW, biggest coon I ever got.........was with a shovel.
.22 rifle way less of a workout (proly less risk too).
Got him in the dark, between the neighbor's house and my privacy fence.

Did not damage anything but the coon.

Smacked him running away (after chase), he doubled back and went between my legs. Proly hit him 3 times before I landed back on the ground LOL.

Was practicing turkey calls and unloading groceries from the old lady's ride and he came across the road.

I'll stick to shooting them from now on (hey, rifles were in the cabinet, the shovel was right by the porch).
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/23/16
Originally Posted by hookeye

[Linked Image]

NICE STOCK!
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/23/16
NICE STOCK!

Yes, 2/3 of the time I stare at that pic, I am wondering where that stock came from. Looks to me like a one off custom made with good Walnut.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/23/16
Lets face it. There's not much better out there than the good ol 10-22. I've been working on one recently. Setting it up for golf ball shoots and rimfire competition. Just got a new barrel for it today. Should be a good shooter when done. I'm still waiting on a new hammer from Volquartsen, then I might mess with the bedding a little. Still need to do a little research on that one though...Bed the barrel and float the receiver, etc...
Posted By: Old_Crab Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/23/16
For overall accuracy only, I prefer my CZ455 to my 10/22.
For overall "effect" and killing-power, nothing I've personally shot beats the 10/22.
It's never leaving my ownership.

(I have the deluxe sporter, about 30? years old)

Thanks for the compliments.
My 10/22 wears the factory stock.
'66 to '71 they did the fingergroove model (called sporter).
Mine is also factory checkered (making it kinda rare).

Urban Rifle Supply used to make an aftermarket fingergroove stock. Could get it with the old style front swivel pocket or without.

Wish they made them, as I'd drop a stainless one it.

My rig has marks from previous owner (bought it new). It however isn't beat up.......so squirreling still makes me a bit nervous.
My dad has a non checkered .44 mag fingergroove.
Was looking for a smooth fingergroove to have a 10/22 match (kinda sorta pair) but came across this and about had a heart attack.
Posted By: HiredGun Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/28/16
Here is one to avoid. I have been a full time gunsmith since 09 so not that long but this rifle takes the cake for the all time worst designs and concepts ever assembled into one firearm.

I present the Remington 522 Viper.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: hookeye Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/28/16
Funny, the Vipers ran OK when they had the steel mag.
Still a clunker though (feel).
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/28/16
Thanks for the compliments.
My 10/22 wears the factory stock.
'66 to '71 they did the fingergroove model (called sporter).
Mine is also factory checkered (making it kinda rare).

Urban Rifle Supply used to make an aftermarket fingergroove stock. Could get it with the old style front swivel pocket or without.

Wish they made them, as I'd drop a stainless one it.

My rig has marks from previous owner (bought it new). It however isn't beat up.......so squirreling still makes me a bit nervous.

I knew exactly what it was. My cousin had one, I really like them. They are very collectable.
Posted By: seal_billy Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/28/16
Originally Posted by HiredGun
Here is one to avoid. I have been a full time gunsmith since 09 so not that long but this rifle takes the cake for the all time worst designs and concepts ever assembled into one firearm.

I present the Remington 522 Viper.

[Linked Image]

Yep the 522 was a POS but the 597 is a gem and I hate Remington so for me to say the 597 is a gem is a huge complement. The 597 isn't perfect but stock I would take one over a 10/22 any day. For a build then its a 10/22 all day long. Remington has their head up their azz for a good while now. Their auto shotguns have went down in quality year after year.
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Better than a 10/22? - 02/28/16
I've had a Belgium Browning SA .22 LR takedown rifle since I was years 13 years old.
Not until middle age did I get my 1st Ruger 10/22.

I now have five 10/22's and three are Davidson's or Talo exclusives with the RSI full stocks.
The Browning is a great little rifle but I like the 10/22's better.
Posted By: TexasRick Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/02/16
Overall the Ruger 10/22 is the finest semi-auto .22 I've ever owned and used.....and I have owned and tried most of the competition over the last 45 years.

Now I will admit I got a bit lucky with the earliest 10/22's I shot as far as accuracy.

The first 10/22 I ever saw was one of the guns my father brought home in 1968 following a house fire that destroyed all of our families guns. He had his priorites straight and used the insurance money to replace the guns.....even before buying clothes for the family to wear.

He walked into a local gun shop and bought 10 long guns from the rack. Other than his Savage 99 in .308, he didn't specifically have anything in mind, but rather just picked the best guns available from the used rack. Luck was on our side as two of these guns were a Ruger 44 Carbine and 10/22.....both in the rare Sporter version (finger groove stocks). He'd never seen a 10/22 until then, but it "felt" like an adult rifle more than many .22's available in those days.....the fact the 44 was a near twin sealed the deal.

That first 10/22 was a tack driver from day one. It would keep 10 shot inside 1/2" at 50 yards. three years later I saved enough money from summer jobs to buy my own 10/22....the Deluxe Checkered version and it proved to be if anything even more accurate that the first rifle.

It was years before I found out that the 10/22 had a reputation for erratic accuracy.....the good ones were fantastic but the "bad" ones not so much so.

I have come to believe over the years that most of the accuracy problems with 10/22's are caused by the barrel band on the Standard models. I have almost never had a problem with any of the Deluxe or Sporter versions (neither of which have a barrel band).....always with the Standard models. These are either great or not as far as accuracy with no seeming reason. Maybe I'm wrong but that has been my experience.

AS far as reliability....it is no contest. The 10/22 beats all comers. You can even neglect and abuse the 10/22 and it just keeps on working. I try to regularly keep my guns clean, but sometimes they all get dirty. Doesn't seem to faze the 10/22 and even if enough gunk and dirt collect to cause a problem....just use a little cleaner to knock out the crud and it goes right back to working.

This can't be said of many other .22 rifles. One of the most consistantly accurate .22 rifles is the Marlin 60....but if you want it to keep shooting you CANNOT neglect the cleaning. The slightest build up or dirt will quickly cause feeding problems for the Marlin while the 10/22 just keeps on shooting.

The 10/22 has so many aftermarket parts available and is so easy to work on that it can be "customized" to fit the owners wishes. Couple that with the looks and style of a big game rifle rather than a "kids" rifle and the Ruger is top notch.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/02/16
And Marlin 60 bolt buffers crumble over time.
Never liked them anyway.
BTW, my first 1022 (around '72 ?) was a standard with decent walnut.
Bbl band and factory trigger, it got the sheite shot out of it (me and my sis).........and it was decent.
Best standard I ever had (a few in the 90's).
Barrel band didn't hurt accuracy.
Worst rig ever was the DSP from late 90's. It shot OK, nothing great, but group shift was whenever it wanted.

Even as a kid I knew that Wildcats sucked.
Federal and SuperX did well on the targets and squirrels in my old standard 10/22.

My old Glenfield 20 really liked the Federals. Rattly mag, but way better trigger LOL.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/02/16
I then as a kid, and especially now as an adult, absolutely detest a .22 rf rifle with a mag that sticks out.

Headache sufferer ever since kid, damaged neck too.......I carry my rifles in hand, rarely slung.

If the mag sticks out where my hand wants to be........nope.
Posted By: hclark Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/02/16
Love my Winchester 63!
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/03/16
I then as a kid, and especially now as an adult, absolutely detest a .22 rf rifle with a mag that sticks out.

Headache sufferer ever since kid, damaged neck too.......I carry my rifles in hand, rarely slung.

If the mag sticks out where my hand wants to be........nope.

Amen^^^^^
Posted By: EdM Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/03/16
When I lived in Canada I bought a near matched pair of FN 22's, a Trombone and a SA (the original Browning). Like a dumbazz I sold them though making good money. Today I am pretty pleased with a very old 10-22 with a Clark barrel in an old Fajen stock. Easy 3/8" groups at 50 using Aguila Pistol Match ammo. I shot it at the Arizona get together and it did well with its 4x scope.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redhill Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/04/16
I've bought and retrofitted around 7-8 10/22's and found them perfectly fitted for shooting jack rabbits on the run, multiple ground squirrels, large rock chucks, skunks, and crows due to their accuracy and firepower.

Using target grade barrels has helped in the accuracy department as well as some judicial trigger work.

For all out accuracy, but not necessarily in the hunting mode, my Biathlon rifle is king. Bedded action, floated barrel and around a 1.5# trigger are winners.

However I hunt more than a shoot competitive so the winner is still the 10/22.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/05/16
I put a 24 inch stainless sporter weight barrel, a walnut sporter stock and a new trigger on my Ruger 10/22 and turned that rifle into what it should have been all along. It will shoot 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards on a regular basis instead of the consistent 1 1/2 inch groups it would shoot as it came from the factory and is still easy to carry. I have had it set up like this for probably over 15 years and see no need to waste time trying to find a better 22. For my use, my 10/22 is now as good as it gets.
Posted By: Blackheart Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/05/16
I just got back from the range where the nickel sized 7 shot groups I punched over and over and over at 50 yards with my Marlin 995 and Mini-Mag HP's served to reinforce the notion that another 10-22 is not in my future.
Posted By: TXRam Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/06/16
Originally Posted by EdM
Today I am pretty pleased with a very old 10-22 with a Clark barrel in an old Fajen stock. Easy 3/8" groups at 50 using Aguila Pistol Match ammo. I shot it at the Arizona get together and it did well with its 4x scope.

[Linked Image]

I love that stock - if I had one, I'd definitely be more of a 10/22 fan and would be willing to spend a good bit if needed to make it shoot!
Posted By: JJF Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/09/16
First off, I'll never be without a 10/22. It's too much fun and boringly reliable. I have installed an after-market trigger and replaced the wood stock with a Hogue synthetic. However, when my SIL gave me his Model 60 (18-round tube with hold-open feature), I shot the center of a target out with Velocitors, which was the first (and to-date the only ammo I've tried in it). No after-market anything but this Model 60 can shoot.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/10/16
Ugly chicks that can cook, are still ugly.
Posted By: hookeye Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/10/16
If she's better looking and you can season/mask the food to tolerable.......
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Better than a 10/22? - 03/10/16
They say you can drink and ugly girl pretty, but you cannot drink a fat girl skinny.

Likewise, you can drink an ugly rifle pretty, but you cannot drink a heavy rifle light.
© 24hourcampfire