Home
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
For those of you interested, Savage is doing a run of smooth bore 22's for us. I can't tell you how many people have requested it in the shop. I ordered 500...

They're about 10 weeks out. I'll update the thread as soon as I have a stock picture and actual description. I'm out of town and will get specifics from my rep when I return. I sent him the PO yesterday to get the ball rolling.

Please don't send any PM's on these yet. I'm afraid I'll loose the info! I'll provide an email for preorders early next week.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
Sounds GREAT !

....I'd sure like to glom onto a good store of the Winchester crimped shotshells,...they blow the CCI blue plastic capsule right off into the WEEDS.

GTC

Posted By: Steelhead Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
Yeah, I'm getting one. I have 1/2 dozen boxes of the Win's, wish I had a brick.

I likely have 1000 of the CCI's. I've found the CCI's work better on the carpenter bee's out of my LCR.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
Benefit of shooting 22 rim shot out of a smooth bore?

Posted By: T LEE Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
Benefit of shooting 22 rim shot out of a smooth bore?

Greater range, less spread.
Fun and hell on carpenter bees without pucking up everything around it.
Posted By: FAIR_CHASE Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
I've played around with 22rf shot (revolvers and rifles) and found the "kill" distance to be 15'(or less). All being equal, how much distance would one gain using a sb?
Posted By: kingston Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
I want one please!
Originally Posted by FAIR_CHASE
I've played around with 22rf shot (revolvers and rifles) and found the "kill" distance to be 15'(or less). All being equal, how much distance would one gain using a sb?

I'd double it
Posted By: Mule Deer Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
Yeah, at least, depending on the size of the target.

Rifled bores spread shot a LOT--as anybody who tries shotshells in a rifled 20 or 12-gauge bore will discover.
And 22 Magnum ratshot is might impressive.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16

I got one of those electric fly swatters for them. Fun, but can turn into work. miles
Posted By: DesertMuleDeer Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
I want one of these!
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

I take care of them with airsoft pellets fired through a carbon arrow shaft like a peashooter. Puts the hurtin' on stinkbugs too.
Posted By: Clarkm Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
I had an 80 year old neighbor, still working a giant garden, what wanted me to help him find a smooth bore 22 in 1998.

Since then I have spent hundreds of hours in gun shows and pawn shops and never seen one. Or did not know it was a smooth bore. I have seen them online for sale. I have seen them in gun value books.

But they are rare.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
Originally Posted by milespatton

I got one of those electric fly swatters for them. Fun, but can turn into work. miles

Badminton racket works great for the ones that just buzz around and won't land.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Garden guns.... - 04/07/16
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Sounds GREAT !

....I'd sure like to glom onto a good store of the Winchester crimped shotshells,...they blow the CCI blue plastic capsule right off into the WEEDS.

GTC

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winch...er-12-shot-shells-rat-or-snake-shot-ammo
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
Originally Posted by joken2
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Sounds GREAT !

GTC

http://www.sgammo.com/product/winch...er-12-shot-shells-rat-or-snake-shot-ammo

I guess you missed the 'Notify me when back in stock button'

SGAmmo hasn't had that in stock since Moses had a paper route.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
They're shipping some. We have a little on the shelf and I get some on allocation occasionally. We have the CCI blue capsule stuff stocked to the gills.

I'll try to get my hands on a bunch before the guns come in. I'll work a deal out direct or through distribution.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
Badminton racket works great for the ones that just buzz around and won't land.

Yeah but there is something about that electric pop when you hit one with the electric one. I still stomp them too, for good measure. One going in the hole and you can still fry him. miles
Posted By: jbuck Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
Definitely in on this one. I've been looking for a smooth bore for a couple years.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
I got a pair of Remington 580 smooth bores also got a thrower and 3 cases of clay birds. Thsee are fun to shoot and make a great rat and bee guns
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
[quote=shortactionsmoker]They're shipping some. We have a little on the shelf and I get some on allocation occasionally. We have the CCI blue capsule stuff stocked to the gills.

I'll try to get my hands on a bunch before the guns come in. I'll work a deal out direct or through distribution. [/quote

CCI blue capsule don't shoot well out of a smooth bore they were made for rifled barrels, you want to use the crimped over shot shells. Shot some CCI out of my smooth bore and sometimes they act like a slug. Shooting the CCI out of the rifled barrel breaks the capsule.
Posted By: Dude270 Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
tag
Posted By: coyotewacker Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
For those of you interested, Savage is doing a run of smooth bore 22's for us. I can't tell you how many people have requested it in the shop. I ordered 500...

Are any going to be left hand.....lol
Posted By: Jim in Idaho Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
They do have an ambidextrous twist... wink
Posted By: EdM Re: Garden guns.... - 04/08/16
I have zero use for one preferring a handgun for such needs. Nice to see them being made for those interested.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Garden guns.... - 04/10/16
What model savage? Or what model does it most resemble?

Is there a useable weblink, not face book, on this?
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Garden guns.... - 04/10/16
It's on a MKII action. As I stated in the first post, I was out of town when I gave them the PO. I won't have the act details until this week sometime.

I'll post exact details once I have the specifics. We talked about several options. I gave them a PO for my place in line...
Posted By: passport Re: Garden guns.... - 04/13/16
Count me in
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Garden guns.... - 04/13/16
I've been wanting one for a LONG time. I have enough ratshot to eliminate every carpenter bee in 2 counties.
Posted By: batch Re: Garden guns.... - 04/13/16
Where do I sign up for one, too?
Posted By: batch Re: Garden guns.... - 04/13/16
Where do I sign up for one, too?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Garden guns.... - 04/14/16
Can the next Garden gun be in 9.3x62?
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Garden guns.... - 04/14/16
I have one in 30 Hart, i have a shot out barrel in 30 Hart I use to fireform brass from 300 Wby. I use 15 grains blue dot and fill the rest of the case up with corn meal. Will take out bees to about 12 yards.
Posted By: Hotload Re: Garden guns.... - 04/18/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And 22 Magnum ratshot is might impressive.

I always liked the CCI 22MAG ratshot. Have not seen any for sale in years.
Posted By: Lou_M Re: Garden guns.... - 04/24/16
Any further news on these Savage smooth bore "Garden Guns?"
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Garden guns.... - 05/09/16
What's going on with these smoothbores? It's been a month with no new info and there are a lot of us interested.
Posted By: 30Gibbs Re: Garden guns.... - 05/09/16
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I had an 80 year old neighbor, still working a giant garden, what wanted me to help him find a smooth bore 22 in 1998.

Since then I have spent hundreds of hours in gun shows and pawn shops and never seen one. Or did not know it was a smooth bore. I have seen them online for sale. I have seen them in gun value books.

But they are rare.

A Bud's got a Remington 121 pump with Routlidge barrel that I need to talk him
out of ...
Posted By: xverminator Re: Garden guns.... - 05/10/16
Originally Posted by MarkFed
What's going on with these smoothbores? It's been a month with no new info and there are a lot of us interested.

+1

X-VERMINATOR
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Garden guns.... - 05/10/16
They should deliver around the end of June. Savage has yet to get me an image or real item number. All I've been told is that they are in the production schedule.

I'll send my rep another email tomorrow and report back...
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Garden guns.... - 05/10/16
Will these have a bead sight or regular irons? I would prefer a plain barrel with a shotgun bead sight like the old smoothbores had.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Garden guns.... - 05/12/16
The model number is 50703. That's the same as its been on previous runs.

Here is the image:

[Linked Image]

I'll know a definite price as soon as we firm up the freight cost (if any).
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Garden guns.... - 05/12/16
Originally Posted by MarkFed
Will these have a bead sight or regular irons? I would prefer a plain barrel with a shotgun bead sight like the old smoothbores had.

Looks like irons will be the only option.
Posted By: cisco1 Re: Garden guns.... - 05/12/16

I have a Marlin garden Gun.... chambered in .22 Mag. It is twice as effective as the .22 shot. I have a straight .22 one in smooth bore also.

To be effective in either .22 mag or .22....bore must be smooth.

The pattern out of my Mag. is about 6-7" at 25 feet. It will knock a Starling off the bird feeder a that range like a hollywood stunt.
Posted By: dpd Re: Garden guns.... - 05/15/16
Single shot or magazine fed ?
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Garden guns.... - 05/15/16
SS
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Garden guns.... - 05/22/16
Can't wait for this to materialize
Posted By: redleg733 Re: Garden guns.... - 06/24/16
Any update on Savage delivering these?
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Garden guns.... - 07/07/16
They're here! The link to the web page is posted below. That's by far the easiest way to purchase them. We'll allow layaway as always.

https://shop.whittakerguns.com/product/2427179

Please don't send PM's about purchasing. I can't process orders from my computer. You'll get faster service buying them online as well.

Thanks guys!
Posted By: OlongJohnson Re: Garden guns.... - 07/09/16
Are these a reasonably nice polished blue, or are they grit blasted and parked like the FV-SR?

And do you have a link to the Winchester shot shells?
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Garden guns.... - 07/11/16
Not grit blasted, more of a blued finish. I'll take a pic later.

No link to the shotshells.
Posted By: shortactionsmoker Re: Garden guns.... - 07/11/16
I was wrong, more of a flat finish. Looks like a cerakote or their blasted finish on other rifles.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire