Home
Posted By: rickt300 Best Nutria rifle? - 08/23/16
Thinking about busting out and getting a Savage A17 for a trip to Louisiana shooting Nutria and fishing. Or would a Marling bolt action be better?
Posted By: Troutnut Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/23/16
Never seen a Nutria , but the 17HMR works great on groundhogs , pigeons, foxes and other critters . The A17 had some accuracy problems at first but they shoot well now. I have a hvy bbl Savage 17Hmr and a savage Bmag in 17wsm. Both would work great I would think.
Posted By: 1minute Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/24/16
Do you want an intact or exploded nutria? Might make a difference.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/24/16
Somebody, maybe Mule Deer, posted awhile back that the A17 ammo was faster than the "regular" 17HMR ammo when fired in bolt action rifle. Our local Wal-Mart sells it for $50 for 200 rounds.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/24/16
Quickly dead and we will retrieve them for the tail bounty. I like head shots but if a 17 HMR will quickly stop them with a chest hit that will be great too.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/24/16
Looking at the Ruger American rimfire rifles, they look like they would be easy to load in the dark and rugged.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/25/16
Saw a tv show a few years back where they were shooting them for the bounty. The host was also a chef of sorts and fixed up some for some fancy folks he had invited for dinner. A good time was being had by all 'til he told them what they were eating. Some of them took it in stride, but others were clearly a bit distressed.

I believe they were using a shotgun, a 10/22, and maybe an AR as well.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/25/16
A real issue is that on a warm winter night a Nutria wiggling around in the water will draw alligators which makes recovery a bit tricky. No wiggle is best!
Posted By: 65BR Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/25/16
.177 pellets have killed many.........JS
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/25/16
Yep I'll bet the newer pellet guns pushing pellets at 1250 fps are good for head shots out to 50 yards or so.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/25/16
how much is the bounty???
Posted By: humdinger Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/26/16
I found shooting beaver in the water with 22 LR that the water takes a lot of the energy out of the hit.

I suspect a nutria is somewhere between a muskrat and beaver and not such a hard head, but I would use something with more energy to float them up.

Posted By: 65BR Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/26/16
I repeat, .177 have taken many, seemingly having almost given up the ghost, even with body shots, a modest BSA Meteor, and at decent distances. 650-700 mv w/std wt. Often old Benjamin roundnose which fit well in the oversized British bore. Those hard thick pellets penetrated well......

Beaver, well they can take some killing.....a WELL Placed .22 will work, but if not perfect, they can take ALOT of lead, so I've heard....

Head shots no guarantee when in the water, flat on top, you can often fail to penetrate the skull......at least on large mature ones.
Posted By: humdinger Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/26/16
Beavers... they take a lot of lead for sure. I just use a 223 now.
Very low angle shot to hit right.

The coolest thing though...

Is when the 12ga buck shot skits op top of the water. You aim just a little ahead of the target to get the skipping action to "cut off the top"... Think of it in golf terms like a proper wedge use ;-)
Posted By: hotsoup Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/26/16
i use a 17hmr for nutria and beavers here on the farm. a 20gr bullet kills them with little fuss.
Posted By: rickt300 Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 08/28/16
Does the 17HMR have that earsplitting quality the 22 mag has?
Posted By: DemBonz Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 09/22/16
Either will do fine. I am from SE Louisiana and have taken hundreds of nutria, mostly with a 22LR, but also with a 12 bore. A nutria moving fast is still pretty slow. The pelts are very nice if you want to have them processed, and in which case a head shot with your 17, or a 22, would be best.

Those things are a menace, take as many as you can!
Posted By: DemBonz Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 09/22/16
Originally Posted by Palidun
Does the 17HMR have that earsplitting quality the 22 mag has?

Yes. A suppressed 22LR is the way to go. If not, most all match 22 is subsonic. Check out Eley and RWS for hollow points.
Posted By: milespatton Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 09/22/16
I can't get the allure of the .17 when they still make a .22 mag. miles
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 09/22/16
The Louisiana marsh is full of other boaters. I'd use a 17 HMR with plastic tips. They will likely come apart if they hit the water rather than the nutria. If not, they will shed a lot of their energy. you'll be offered moving head shots more than anything else.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 10/20/16
I use a Ruger 96 lever action in 17hmr for nutria.
Posted By: blanket Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 10/20/16
Originally Posted by milespatton
I can't get the allure of the .17 when they still make a .22 mag. miles
Miles the 17 shines on flat ground shooting for varmints. The 22 mag should have died by anyone that has a Hornet though
How much is the bounty?

Jerry
Posted By: NathanL Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 11/10/16
It was $5 last time I checked but it's limited in how many total they will pay out.

Meats not bad if you do something like bbq it.
Posted By: Mike70560 Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 11/10/16
I have shot 1000s with a 22 long rifle.

This is a post I made on another forum a couple of years back.

As a kid and young man I trapped with my father and brother. We primarily sought nutria, but also caught many raccoons, mink, and otters. An average year would yield 2000 nutria.

Dad died in 1985 when I was 22. I trapped by myself for two more seasons but there was no money in nutria by then. I was a 4th generation Louisiana trapper.

Louisiana now offers a program that pays $5.00 for a nutria tail. I also found a buyer for the green hides they are only paying $2.25 per hide. With the total sell at $7.75 and not having to flesh, nail, or dry the hides I decided to trap again.

My nephew (sister's son) is helping me and is fifth generation. His father and grandfather were also trappers.

A few pictures from this year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Skinning a nutria video
http://i135.photobucket.com/al...00067EB46D8467-1.mp4

Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Best Nutria rifle? - 11/10/16
The one you are holding.
© 24hourcampfire