Home
?
I've been in many gunshops -never seen one , I've browsed their website -never seen one .
I'm a CZ kinda guy - so I haven't super searched for them but it seems like in all my years I would have seen them for sale .
See them in the pawn shops and LGS every now and then. But, not really that often.
Which models are you looking for?
I don't even know the models that well -504 -581 ? -never seen one before.

I'm not looking to buy one just pondering out loud -do you ask a dealer to order them -?
I haven't seen any on Remington's website -ever- there must be a secret handshake or something .
There are only a few "high end" Remington rimfires over the years and most of them are out of production and have been for a while.
The 40X and model 37 are probably the best known and can usually be found at larger gun shows and on gunbrokers.com and other gun auction sites.
The only high end Remington rimfire I can think of that is in production right now is the 547. They come out of the custom shop, which has been closed and the production is now done by MRC in Montana.
Beautiful rifle and will set you back a minimum of around $2,000 or more, depending on the options you choose.

The 504 was their last attempt at producing a high end rifle, but it had serious accuracy and reliability problems and never really created a following.

Lots of the older Remingtons are very nice and deserve some attention. The 541, 541T, 541S are all very nice and very accurate rifles. Nothing wrong with the 581 or any of the 5-teen rifles, but not in the class of "high end" rifles, IMHO.

https://www.champchoice.com/store/main.aspx

Remington builds sumthing high end ?

[Linked Image]
I have 3 Remington 37s left. Prices as I have seen lately are $1100 to north of $2000.
I hope to have my 40X rimfire sporter back this week. $5,000+
Back in the early 1990s I found a Custom Shop 40X Sporter repeater at a local shop...$1300 as I recall... Very accurate, AAA wood and beautiful bluing...

It was in 99% condition and once it got to the point that it was just too expensive to take the chance of dropping I sold it...$3650.00 about 10 years ago.

The guy who bought it was "quite" well off to say the least. He had me hold the gun for a month while his new house was being finished...with the 20x30' gun vault in the basement. The guy said he had been looking for one for three years but every time he would find one it would be sold by the time he contacted the owner.

As to other models...rarely see them and when I do they are usually priced out of sight.

Bob
They make them in two flavors, traditional and minty green:

http://www.remingtoncustom.com/Rimfire_547Classic.aspx

Just order at your local gun shop and bring your banker.
Originally Posted by ol_mike
I don't even know the models that well -504 -581 ? -never seen one before.

The 581 was Remingtons bottom model, it just happened to shoot very well. Cheap stock, stamped bottom metal, plastic magazine, not much to mention other than accuracy.
And the econo 581 used the same plastic mags as the pricier 541.

Bought my son a youth model 581 in 1984 for his tenth birthday.

It still shoots far better than it should, for an inexpensive rifle.
That kind of stuff is where you find them
Ol Mike,

You could ask if anyone here at the 'Fire had one they might part with. Some might respond "Yes, I have a couple. You can't afford them." Others might more congenial.

I'm in the first group. Couple of Rem 513s. Flies make good targets on the 50 yard line.
I have a Remington 37 and a 513. The 37 was rare compared to its main competition, the Winchester 52, even when it was being produced. The 37 is top quality start to finish. The 40X that replaced it was a great rifle as well. The 513 shoots great with a trigger you will not see on a new rifle today. The issue became too many people did not want to pay the price for "just a 22" and the demand was not there. I have a number of Kimbers and they stopped making them for much the same reason. If I was buying a new quality 22 LR now, I would take a long look at a Cooper. Expensive but you will get what you pay for in looks and performance.
Scored two Remington 540 last Thursday, one was new in box with all the papers, looks like it did when it left the factory, box is mint. The second one was like 85%, no box or paper work but 100% even had a set of Unertl scope bases. Gave $500 for the new one and $385 for the second one. Good day indeed. There out there just got to keep checking
My guess is LGSs and pawnshops are the best places to get one at a reasonable price. On GB, you'll be up against the world. Plus, by buying direct you'll save shipping and possible disappointment from stuff the pictures don't show.
I found a custom shop 504 in a Wichita gun show five years ago. One of the prettiest piece of week I have ever seen. Shoots very accurate as well.
And I occasionally see a high end Rem rimfire in LGS.
Originally Posted by dale06
I found a custom shop 504 in a Wichita gun show five years ago. One of the prettiest piece of week I have ever seen. Shoots very accurate as well.
And I occasionally see a high end Rem rimfire in LGS.

This is similar to how I got my 37. I was going into a gun show and a guy had a model 37 with a Feckers on it coming out. He told me he took it in to sell but was offered very little as few knew what is was. We quickly made a deal and both left happy.
When FIL passed away, I was cleaning out the store room and found a single shot 510 Remington. FIL had trouble keeping finish on his guns and this one was no exception. It is a tack driver. I gave it a good cleaning and Grandaughter is using it to learn.

Some four or five years ago, I stumbled into a very nice 511 in a pawn shop for $40. Same gun with a detachable magazine, or the same as the Junior Target except with a sporter stock and no receiver sight. Very accurate. We are putting that one with Granddaughter for the 4H Shooting Program.

Don't sell any of the 5xx guns short. Most shoot really well.

BEST,

JACK
Came across a 541 today for $600.00 , had a Leupold 3x9 EFR with Leupold bases and rings on it. Had to pass as I left my wallet at home, sad day for me.
If you're interested, I have a nice Remington 37 in the vault that I bought 10 years ago and have never used. It doesn't have any sights and is the later style, assembly code CSS, 04/47, and SN 054xx.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I got this like new 1928 Rem model 12 walking into a gun show in Puyallup 3 years ago for $550. The guy got it from an estate in Port Townsend a week earlier.

[Linked Image]

I found this 1946 Remington 510-P in a pawn shop 3 years ago for $165 + tax.

I have killed a lot of animals with Rem 510 single bolt and Rem 572 fieldmaster pumps. These are not high end, but they sure get the job done on killing.
A couple of 541's came through our local LGS 2-3 years back. The first was a heavy barrel model worked over by Brian Voelker. About a year later, a standard barrel version showed up. At $495 for the Voelker and $389 for the standard, they both now reside in my safe.
[Linked Image]
I don't care what anyone says very owned just about every high end rimfire Bolt action if left ever made with the exception of Copper. Of them all my absolute favorite are Kimber of Oregon 82 and the Remington 541 sporter. Now that being said I absolutely hate hate hate the piece of schitt magazine or the Remington and it befuddleds me that no one has ever tackled this problem. I've owned 4 of them and it was because of the magazine issues is the reason I got rid of every one. But as far aso handling and shoulder feel to me thec541 is second to none.
© 24hourcampfire