Home
Posted By: Dillonbuck American rimfire - 12/01/16
Can't find any old threads, but think I reember one. Anyone have one of these, that you have used. Looking for good/cheap 22 for my daughters. I won't do a ass backward safety CZ, or that would be my choice. Thanks, Karl.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: American rimfire - 12/01/16
Many threads on the subject. They are great rifles. Excellent deep bluing and very accurate. One of the selling points for me is they use the proven flush mount Ruger rotary magazine. You get a lot of rifle for the money, IMHO...
Posted By: deflave Re: American rimfire - 12/01/16
Buy.

Travis
Posted By: Certifiable Re: American rimfire - 12/01/16
Can't/won't go wrong with one
Posted By: local_dirt Re: American rimfire - 12/01/16
Love that flush mount Ruger rotary mag.

Buy.
Posted By: 222Rem Re: American rimfire - 12/01/16
Which also means 25rnd BC Hotlips should work for keep sappers off the wire during spring ground squirrel shoots.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: American rimfire - 12/01/16
I think the OP would be pleasantly surprised after the first outing with the American...
Posted By: humdinger Re: American rimfire - 12/01/16
my only complaint on the american is the extended mag release. I lost a magazine while carrying it cradles style on a hunt.

I dont have troubles with the safety on the cz though...
Posted By: EdM Re: American rimfire - 12/01/16
Here I was thinking my old Remington Model 34 Peep...
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: American rimfire - 12/02/16
Originally Posted by humdinger

Me either....
As far as I'm concerned, anyone that's boggled by a safety shouldn't be handling firearms in the first place...
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: American rimfire - 12/02/16
my only complaint on the american is the extended mag release. I lost a magazine while carrying it cradles style on a hunt.

I don't have troubles with backward safety on my CZ 452 mannlichers, but I would prefer that they worked in a forward/fire and backward/safe format like American-made rifles.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: American rimfire - 12/04/16
I bought one of the limited edition Ruger Americans in 22 mag. with a heavy barrel, then had it Cerakoted to use for my wet weather "porch gun"

Lost track of how many rodents and bluejays I've killed with it, but it's been a BUNCH!

I've got a Cooper 17 HMR but it doesn't come out of the safe unless it's a dry sunny day, so the Ruger gets a LOT of use here in western Oregon.

Would I buy another? YES!!!! In a hot minute!!!

Virgil B.
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: American rimfire - 12/04/16

Same here. I love the gun but I did lose a magazine in the woods a couple of months ago. I took a Dremel tool to the mag release but have not had a chance to test it again before deciding whether to grind it down more.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: American rimfire - 12/04/16
I like mine a lot. I needed to do a little work to get the trigger light enough for my taste but overall they're great.
Posted By: jerrywoodswalker Re: American rimfire - 12/08/16
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

I don't have troubles with backward safety on my CZ 452 mannlichers, but I would prefer that they worked in a forward/fire and backward/safe format like American-made rifles.

We've (Me & the Kids) presently have 3 CZ .22"s (had toyed with & tripped 4 or 5 more). I've gotten used to the backwards safety... but like You wish it was forward for fire like the rest of my guns!

On my second American in 22LR, Like it a lot... if it was stainless it would replace my CZ's. My CZ's are generally just a little bit more accurate... not enough for me to get excited about. Not had any problems with the mag release... wonder if it can be replaced with an old style (non-protruding) Ruger 10-22 release?

Likes: uses 10-22 (& 77-22) magazines, accurate, the stock can be set up for kid's and later changed to a longer LOP as they get bigger, tang safety, has iron sights (which I occaissionaly play with), while the forend looks kind of funky it is great for grasping. Available threaded for a suppressor.

Dislikes: Not available in stainless (yet).

YMMV,

Jerry
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: American rimfire - 12/08/16
I've got the CZ 452 FS in 17HMR, 22LR, and 22Mag. I like them, particularly the 22Mag, but prefer stainless, which is why my rimfires that get the most use are all stainless:

Marlin 882VSS, 917M2S, 917S, 917VSSF, 980S, 981TS, 982S, Rossi 515, 518, Ruger 10/22s, Savage 93BVSS, 93R17BVSS, Mark2BVSS, S&W 2206.
Posted By: bowmanh Re: American rimfire - 12/09/16
One of the things I really like about Ruger Americans is that you can buy inexpensive stock inserts to change the length of pull from about 12.5" to about 13.75". This is great for a rifle that is used by both small and larger people. I got one so my wife who is 5'1" could use it and we didn't have to spend much money to change the LOP.

Posted By: Cheyenne Re: American rimfire - 12/09/16
If I am not mistaken, the compact model comes with the shorter LOP stock.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: American rimfire - 12/09/16
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
If I am not mistaken, the compact model comes with the shorter LOP stock.

Mine did, along with both cheekpieces, one for iron sights, one for scope use.

I got the threaded barrel compact and love it. It is currently the most accurate .22lr rifle that I own.

CCI 40gr RN Standard Velocity or CCI 40gr HP Subsonics it's a 1.25MOA rifle every day. (When I do my part blush)

Ed
Posted By: Paul_C Re: American rimfire - 01/02/17
Bought an American Compact 17hmr for my nephew for Christmas. We took it out today and ran 100 rounds through it. He did great it's his first rifle, and just learning to shoot. But I loved it so much I'm going out to get a 22mag for myself. Love how it handles, the balance, the trigger....it's awesome.
Posted By: Mauser12 Re: American rimfire - 01/20/17
I have had a lot of problems with mine. It stopped extraction after the first 100 rounds. I had to call Ruger for a new extractor for a fix. The front sight fell off because it had been improperly installed. The metal work was so rough on the bolt that it took quite a while to smooth it out. Once everything was working it had only average accuracy. I have several other 22s that will out shoot it.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: American rimfire - 01/20/17
and I bet they all cost more......
Posted By: centershot Re: American rimfire - 01/20/17
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Can't find any old threads, but think I reember one. Anyone have one of these, that you have used. Looking for good/cheap 22 for my daughters. I won't do a ass backward safety CZ, or that would be my choice. Thanks, Karl.

I chose ass backward safety over the lawyer trigger on my .17HMR. The CZ is a very nice rig. Safety is annoying but easy to get used to - if you see the red dot, it's ready to fire.
© 24hourcampfire