Home
Posted By: boatboy 10/22 trigger question - 12/03/16
I have a bug to step up a 10/22
I really like that newer archangel stock

I bought one and my question is
Do I send the trigger to Brimstone Gunsmith read lots of good a while back here or just get the new Ruger BX trigger and use it

Looking for some input from those who have used them
Thanks Hank
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/03/16
I am working on one now. I will get back to ya on this. Probably tomorrow via PM. Or maybe I will call ya.

Too much $hit to type and I have 2 more triggers here to tune right now.........
Posted By: gemby58 Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/03/16
Rework the factory, I can get them to 18-20oz with me creep
I was just looking at a BX trigger yesterday. Not really all that great if you ask me. I'd just rework the factory trigger or upgrade the hammer to a kid or volquartsen. That's all I did to my latest target model. The volquartsen target hammer and shim kit is a great upgrade and simple to do. Well worth the $38.00 IMHO...
Posted By: deflave Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/04/16
The BX is well worth the coin IMO.

I don't know how perfect people need a 10/22's trigger to be but to me the BX is the most return vs. money spent.

Travis
Posted By: maddog Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/05/16
Agree totally with Travis on the BX trigger.
Posted By: rost495 Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/05/16
KIDD...
Posted By: Clarkm Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/05/16
I have a $140 STS trigger from 10 years ago.

Why the guy stopped making them, I dunno, he wanted to make long range rifles or something.

They are great.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/06/16
How hard is it to switch to one of the BX assemblies? I am not very handy when it comes to such things.
Posted By: deflave Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
How hard is it to switch to one of the BX assemblies? I am not very handy when it comes to such things.

About as simple as it gets.

If you can take apart a 10/22 you can throw in the BX.

Travis
Posted By: passport Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/07/16
Originally Posted by rost495
KIDD...

This. Get the drop in and forget about it

http://www.coolguyguns.com/KIDD-Tri...r-Disconnect-and-Trigger-blade_p_95.html

Posted By: Anaconda Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/10/16
After researching this myself, I believe this is what your decision will come down too.

#1 BX trigger, will be very easy and a big improvement.
Order it, read directions, drop it and you’re done.
One advantage to the BX option is you still have your old trigger group to fool around with as you please. You could even send the old group off to Brimstone, or try doing your own home trigger job.

#2 Brimstone will be a better big improvement, if a little more time consuming.
Brimstones basic #3 trigger work will (probably) produce better results than a BX, at less expense.
Their #2 trigger work will be noticeably better than a BX at about the same cost, and their #1 work will be a serious match grade trigger at a match grade cost.
With the Brimstone option you will have to deal with sending your trigger group to them and waiting for it to come back.

Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/10/16
I got a Jard trigger group some time back.

It's not nearly as good as an older version Ruger trigger assembly that I rebuilt using Clark and Volquartsen parts, adding a Brownells trigger stop in the trigger guard.

It's about the best I've seen.

Note how I set the Leupold base back to accommodate the short ER of the 3-9x33 A/O EFR.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/10/16
Good looking stock dirt farmer.
Thanks, just the std. Walnut stock from years back. I recut the checkering and refinished it with Tung oil/Urethane.

Glassed the action at the rear.

[Linked Image]

And the barrel channel near the end.

[Linked Image]

After those set up, I put glass at the barrel lug, drew the action down with the action screw. This puts downward tension on the barrel/action junction, locking it rock solid, no movement.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Thanks, just the std. Walnut stock from years back. I recut the checkering and refinished it with Tung oil/Urethane.

Glassed the action at the rear.

[Linked Image]

And the barrel channel near the end.

[Linked Image]

After those set up, I put glass at the barrel lug, drew the action down with the action screw. This puts downward tension on the barrel/action junction, locking it rock solid, no movement.

[Linked Image]

Looking good DF!
dirtfarmer, that is a damn nice rifle. I like the way you glassed the action in the stock too. Seems like the best mechanical way to do it. I only say this because that's the way I did mine. I don't know if it's right per se, because of all the other ways one can do this (based on the research I did), but it's the approach I used. My rifle shoots pretty good now too after finding the ammo it likes...
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
dirtfarmer, that is a damn nice rifle. I like the way you glassed the action in the stock too. Seems like the best mechanical way to do it. I only say this because that's the way I did mine. I don't know if it's right per se, because of all the other ways one can do this (based on the research I did), but it's the approach I used. My rifle shoots pretty good now too after finding the ammo it likes...

Thanks, it's mostly common sense.

Because the barrel isn't threaded, is a slip fit fastened at the bottom, it seems that downward pressure would sorta lock it in. Glass bedding the lug against the bottom of the stock just adds to the stiffness.

This is a Clark barrel (Walther) and it was set up for a tight receiver fit. I carefull cut the shank down until I got a tight, but not forced fit in the receiver. Bedded this way and with the tight fit, the barrel to receiver junction is rigid.

It shoot little bitty groups... wink

And with the can, very quietly... whistle

DF
That's pretty cool. Mine shoots alright now after the bedding. I tried freefloating mine at first and that seemed to make things worse, so I went for the option you did and put a dab of epoxy near the tip of the forend and that seemed to stabilize everything and accuracy was much more consistent. Here's how it does now. Not perfect by any means, but not bad either:
[Linked Image]

The volquartsen target hammer made a world of difference too. Like I said before, I'd opt for that way before buying a bx trigger. I checked out 5 of those at the store (sportsman's warehouse) the other day, thinking the first one being extremely chitty feeling was a fluke. No fluke though, The other 4 seemed to be just as bad.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/11/16
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

I don't know if it's right, but it works.

Free floating is advantageous with a rigidly joined barrel/action and where you're able to solidly bed the action.

Some custom 10-22 clones, IIRC, thread the barrel into the receiver. You could possibly free float one of those. Even then, the action bearing (bedding) surface is a LOT less than a bolt action. So, treating the barreled action as a unit, putting downward pressure on the barrel/action junction makes sense. And, there's only one action screw, none to secure the rear of the action, which would be nice to have when free floating the barrel.

Rigid, as in resisting movement from the vibration of firing. I know .22's don't create the movement of centerfire rounds, but they all set up vibrations and have their unique harmonics. Dampening all that aids repeatability and thus, precision which technically isn't the same as "accuracy", but folks seem to know what is meant with use of the latter term.

Like they say, proof is in the puddin... grin

DF

Subsonic almost as accurate as full powered rounds. 50' indoor range in the attic of my garage/shop. No telling how well it would group with good ammo... smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
When the weather gets better, you need to stretch that rifle's legs out to at least 50 yards. That's where we shoot ours during our rimfire shoots...
Posted By: RiverRider Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/11/16
I've always thought it made good sense to treat the entire rear surface of the receiver as the recoil lug---it's all ya got. I've bedded one 10-22 this way. The result was a pretty snug fit and it took a little more effort to get the barreled action into and out of the stock, but worth the trouble IMO.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/11/16
It does well at longer ranges, just had those targets from the 50' indoor range.

Subsonics don't hold up like high speed ammo. They'll do OK to about 50 yds. or so, beyond that, not too impressive.

My hunting bud really likes 38 gr. Fed. Game-Shok .22 LR ammo. I've seen him bust stuff at a hundred yds.; he's a good shot.

I got some of those recently, they're hard to find. May try them in the suppressed gun. I know they'll crack the sound barrier, but will still be quieter than non suppressed guns.

DF
Posted By: deflave Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/11/16
I've determined there really isn't a wrong way to bed a 10/22.

That's a nice rifle you have DF.

Dave
Posted By: boatboy Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/12/16
10-22s are just fun guns

I decided to take two triggers to Dick Williams gunsmith in Saginaw MI
Lysle said he would clean them up and I asked if he with smooth out the bolt catch make that easier
I expect they will be good when I get them back

Hank
Posted By: CowboyTim Re: 10/22 trigger question - 12/14/16
Did a Power Custom trigger kit on my 10/22 a while back. Took about 20 minutes, nice 2 3/4 pound trigger with no creep. The BX would be a lot easier, I just don't like the new mag release. The rifle had a much cleaner look with the old flush one.
I bought a Volquartsen hammer when they first came out. With it and some fooling with the springs I have a 1 3/4 LB trigger with a tiny bit of creep. I also tapped an over-travel screw into the trigger guard -- this helps a lot.

Finally, I installed a VQ Carbon Fiber barrel (16") and a Hogue over-molded stock. Also an over-sized safety button and a plastic buffer.

This particular 10-22 is used for shooting Richardson's Ground Squirrels out of a pick-up. It's short, light and handy. Groups very well; even with HV hollow points.

I told a non-gunny friend about Brimstone and he had a trigger done there. He was pleased. I think he got the mid-priced work done.
© 24hourcampfire