Home
Posted By: Redneck Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
Any good? Pluses? Minuses? I've never tried it - and not even sure it's available around here. But the price is tempting..

Gimme.
Posted By: deflave Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
I rate it a 10 out of 10.

All of it.

Dave
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
Recently bought some. The LGS has more of it than anything else. All of the comments and reviews I've seen have been very positive.
Posted By: JeffG Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
The standard velocity stuff, both 38g HP and 40g RN are very consistent. I have not tried the copper coated Hi-velocity.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
Excellent! Gracias! smile
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
I have been using the copper-plated HV stuff a LOT lately. I love it, it shoots better than Mini-Mags in my CZ 452, and it's every bit as reliable. I had a half-case before the election, but "just in case" Clinton DID win, I left the polling place and went directly over to a big shop locally, and bought a whole case of it. I think those 7500 rounds will last me awhile, but I have plenty of rimfire rifles and pistols to shoot it in. I shoot it in three .22 pistols, that 452 and a 455, 10/22, and a few others.
That shop had two pallets of it on hand.

It's reliable, accurate (in my guns, anyway) and most important, AVAILABLE.

Don't be scared of it, it's awfully good stuff.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
I haven't bought any lately, but the last time I bought it, it had wildly inconsistent rim thickness and unless sorted by rim thickness, it was prone to fliers.

OK for plinking, but too inconsistent if you want a true gauge of the accuracy of a rifle or a shooter. I probably have 2K rounds of it on the shelf and it is likely to stay there for the foreseeable future since better ammo is available.
You needed to segregate them to do what? Shoot benchrest?

Dave
Originally Posted by deflave

Dave

No, just to shoot paper. When shooting paper, I prefer to shoot good, consistent, ammo, like mid-grade Eley or RWS, so that I can have a high degree of confidence that any poor groups aren't related to the ammo.

IIRC, the Aguila ammo that I bought and sorted was Super Extra sub-sonic 40 grain lead. I sorted 1K of it by rim thickness, 1K by weight, and 1K by weight and rim thickness. After doing all that sorting, I decided that I'd rather spend a little more $$ for ammo if it would allow me to leave the rim thickness gauge and a scale on the shelf.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
I've only tried the HV Interceptor 40gr. I have a 22lr rifle that shoots the CCI 40gr Velocitor very well and the Interceptor was just as accurate.
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

Dave

No, just to shoot paper. When shooting paper, I prefer to shoot good, consistent, ammo, like mid-grade Eley or RWS, so that I can have a high degree of confidence that any poor groups aren't related to the ammo.

IIRC, the Aguila ammo that I bought and sorted was Super Extra sub-sonic 40 grain lead. I sorted 1K of it by rim thickness, 1K by weight, and 1K by weight and rim thickness. After doing all that sorting, I decided that I'd rather spend a little more $$ for ammo if it would allow me to leave the rim thickness gauge and a scale on the shelf.

Well, instead of doing all that stupid schit you should have just shot it.

That's the same ammo our smallbore rifle club uses. Haven't seen anybody blaming the ammo for causing low scores out of their 54's.

Dave
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
Their Rifle Match shot consistently under 1/2" for 5 shots at 50 yards out of my 453, sometimes under .4. That was the only measuring I did.

Now I see they have two match loads. One is for rifles with 24" barrels. Haven't bought any as CCI SV gets about all there is out of my current rifle.

Dave

That's the same ammo our smallbore rifle club uses. Haven't seen anybody blaming the ammo for causing low scores out of their 54's.

Dave

The Super Express subsonic shot inconsistent group in a variety of accurate rifles, which is why I bought the rim thickness gauge and tried to improve the performance by sorting it. While sorting it did improve the results, significantly reducing fliers, the effort to sort it wasn't worth time involved, so I have opted to buy better ammo. Aguila still makes a subsonic 22LR round, but they no longer call it "Super Express" and the graphics on the packaging is different. It is their item #18222269 at www.agilaammo.com.

I don't doubt that other people have had good success with Aguila ammo, but I didn't, so I have opted not to buy it as long as mid-grade Eley and RWS options are available.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
For indoor shooting it stinks smell wise
And Eley doesn't?

Dave
Posted By: Certifiable Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
Eley's primer compound is delicious smelling nose candy to me
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16
That's why God made outdoors.
Posted By: Redhill Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/21/16

I've shot a couple of different types of their ammo from the super high velocity 20g to the Colibri and been well pleased with the quality and performance of their products.

I am much more a hunter than an accuracy connoisseur. Their Super Colibri is a screamer and has the sound to go with it. Their Colibri is also a 20g sub sonic no powder round that will bounce off a 2x4 but also serves a purpose.

I've also noticed that there always seems to be much more Aguila ammo around and their boxes are so colorful !!!!
Posted By: Redneck Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
Originally Posted by ratsmacker
I have been using the copper-plated HV stuff a LOT lately. I love it, it shoots better than Mini-Mags in my CZ 452, and it's every bit as reliable. I had a half-case before the election, but "just in case" Clinton DID win, I left the polling place and went directly over to a big shop locally, and bought a whole case of it. I think those 7500 rounds will last me awhile, but I have plenty of rimfire rifles and pistols to shoot it in. I shoot it in three .22 pistols, that 452 and a 455, 10/22, and a few others.

Excellent. TY. smile

Originally Posted by Steelhead
That's why God made outdoors.
LMAO...

True - but some small-bore clubs only have indoor ranges for some competitions.. Not much choice then.. A club 25 miles WNW of me uses the upper floor of their clubhouse for 22lr competition..
Posted By: Steelhead Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
Indoor clubs must be a Yankee thing, like ice fishing.

Posted By: cra1948 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
Hey, if someone would spend money on a new truck made in Mexico, why worry about a few boxes of .22 rf?
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16

Dave

Dave

The Super Express subsonic shot inconsistent group in a variety of accurate rifles, which is why I bought the rim thickness gauge and tried to improve the performance by sorting it. While sorting it did improve the results, significantly reducing fliers, the effort to sort it wasn't worth time involved, so I have opted to buy better ammo. Aguila still makes a subsonic 22LR round, but they no longer call it "Super Express" and the graphics on the packaging is different. It is their item #18222269 at www.agilaammo.com.

I don't doubt that other people have had good success with Aguila ammo, but I didn't, so I have opted not to buy it as long as mid-grade Eley and RWS options are available.

You probably just tried the wrong ones. I've not gotten great accuracy out of any of their sporting loads, but the Match stuff is different. One of my suppliers has it for about $3 a box less than the RWS lower end match ammo too, a pretty good savings.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
I've shot 2 or 3 varieties of the sporting stuff out of my 452 and it's been quite good, groups just slightly larger than one raggedy hole at 50 yards. I haven't shot the match yet but look forward to doing that. And yes, it does stink. BFD.
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
Originally Posted by Pappy348

Dave

Dave

You probably just tried the wrong ones. I've not gotten great accuracy out of any of their sporting loads, but the Match stuff is different. One of my suppliers has it for about $3 a box less than the RWS lower end match ammo too, a pretty good savings.

You're probably right, I haven't tried a variety of Aguila .22 LR ammo and it is also possible that the lot that I got wasn't up to their usual standards. My normal baseline .22 LR ammo is Eley Club, Eley Target, RWS Rifle Match, and RWS Target Rifle. Which of the Aguila varieties do you like, Rifle Match or Target?
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
I have a custom 40X, 3-Mod37 Remingtons left,a 1922 M2, and other RF rifles. I have 2 bricks of Eley Tenex in 2 different lots, 2 bricks of Fiocchi Super Match, several bricks of various Russian ammo, RWS, 3 bricks of CCI Minimag, 2 bricks of Western Super X,1 brick of Federal Hi-Power and 2 bricks left of Aguila SE. I have a few boxes of various other RF ammo.
The Aguila SE is the most consistent RF ammo that I have shot in my rifles. My SE is an old lot and is marked Eley primed. Maybe the new stuff isn't as good, but I doubt that.
Posted By: Hippy Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
I have had VERY good accuracy from their S Vel line and will continue to support them as they were about the only RF ammo that could be found the last several years--Seems they geared up and everyone else forgot us
Posted By: Redneck Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
Originally Posted by Steelhead

TN must be full of you yankees..

https://www.google.com/webhp?source...mp;ie=UTF-8#q=Indoor+shooting+club+in+TN

Posted By: davet Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
Aguila Super Extra standard velocity 38grn hp, or 40grn solids shot wonderfully for me in my CZ 452. I have shot it to 165 yards on steel a lot, and used it on varmints to 85 yards +/-.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
Aquila is kind of my hero when it comes to rim fire ammo.

I believe the ammo shortage would have been a minimal event if the industry recognized there was an honest increase in demand for rim fire ammo. Instead they just pissed out the usual quantities of 22LR. I was able to buy RWS all through the shortage. That expensive stuff did not move as fast. For normal use, I was lucky to have a some old bricks. I even sold an old brick with the bullets turning white from corrosion. Everybody was happy, the stuff still went bang. You be surprised that is all a lot of new shooters want.

Ok, so Aquila stepped up like a good capitalist and invested in equipment an filled the vacuum. If not for Aquila, I believe we would still be in a shortage situation.

BTW, Claiming ammo is accurate without some kind data (numbers) is totally meaningless.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
rifle match is accurate
little dirty though
Originally Posted by fourbore
Aquila is kind of my hero when it comes to rim fire ammo.

I believe the ammo shortage would have been a minimal event if the industry recognized there was an honest increase in demand for rim fire ammo. Instead they just pissed out the usual quantities of 22LR. I was able to buy RWS all through the shortage. That expensive stuff did not move as fast. For normal use, I was lucky to have a some old bricks. I even sold an old brick with the bullets turning white from corrosion. Everybody was happy, the stuff still went bang. You be surprised that is all a lot of new shooters want.

Ok, so Aquila stepped up like a good capitalist and invested in equipment an filled the vacuum. If not for Aquila, I believe we would still be in a shortage situation.

BTW, Claiming ammo is accurate without some kind data (numbers) is totally meaningless.

Is is possible that American ammunition manufacturers were busy filling military contracts for the good guys to train with and to shoot at the bad guys in Afghanistan and Iraq? OTOH, Mexican ammunition manufacturers don't need to make much military ammo, as the Mexican military spends its time hiding and pretending that the drug cartels don't control their country.

My standard for .22 LR ammo is how well it shoots at 50' from at least one of my accurate rifles. The Aguila SE subsonic that I have had twice as many different rim thickness measurements, 8, than the worst American standard grade ammo, not bulk pack, that I tested. The different rim thicknesses likely contributed to the fliers from the unsorted ammo.

I like the price that Sportsman's Guide is getting for Aguila SE standard velocity, $33.24 per carton, and will probably order a few cartons for plinking cans and such.
Posted By: centershot Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
Stinks - shoots good but has a funk. Whatever Hornady puts in their .17HMR ammo sure smells nice.
Posted By: deflave Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16

Is is possible that American ammunition manufacturers were busy filling military contracts for the good guys to train with and to shoot at the bad guys in Afghanistan and Iraq? OTOH, Mexican ammunition manufacturers don't need to make much military ammo, as the Mexican military spends its time hiding and pretending that the drug cartels don't control their country.

My standard for .22 LR ammo is how well it shoots at 50' from at least one of my accurate rifles. The Aguila SE subsonic that I have had twice as many different rim thickness measurements, 8, than the worst American standard grade ammo, not bulk pack, that I tested. The different rim thicknesses likely contributed to the fliers from the unsorted ammo.

I like the price that Sportsman's Guide is getting for Aguila SE standard velocity, $33.24 per carton, and will probably order a few cartons for plinking cans and such.

You're an idiot.

Dave
Posted By: 257heaven Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
I don't know about idiots and such. But I do know that the Super Colibri is fun around the house on grackles and Eurasian Collared.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
Real competitors quit measuring rims in the olden days.

You're an idiot.

Dave

You're rude.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16

Wow, really? If you keep your criticism to the ammo it would be a lot more believable than mixing in a lot of weird sounding politics. That just makes you sound bias.
[quote=butchlambert1]Real competitors quit measuring rims in the olden days. [/quote

Perhaps that is so, but I'm not a competitive shooter.

I was looking for a way to squeeze better performance out of a pile of Aguila SE Subsonic ammo that had a propensity for fliers, so I bought a Bald Eagle rim thickness gauge. There were reports that people using the Bald Eagle rim thickness gauge to sort their ammo were claiming up to a 30% improvement in their group size.

Measuring the rims and segregating the ammo by rim thickness did improve the performance, by eliminating fliers, but so did sorting it by weight and sorting it by rim thickness and then sub-sorting that group by weight. When sorted by rim thickness, the Aguila fell into 8 different groups that showed a normal curve distribution, with the majority falling into 2 groups. In addition to the 3K rounds of Aguila SE subsonic, I measured the rim thickness and sorted 100 rounds each of several other brands and styles of 22 LR ammo ranging from the least expensive Federal to Eley Tenex. The Federal sorted into 4 different groups with the majority falling into 1 group and the other inexpensive ammo from Peters and Remington falling into 2 or 3 groups. The mid-grade Eley and RWS and the high grade Eley only had 1 rim thickness.

After doing all that work, I decided that except for plinking ammo, I'd rather pay a little more for mid-grade Eley or RWS and tossed the rim thickness gauge into a box that is probably sitting on a dusty shelf somewhere in the storage unit.

Wow, really? If you keep your criticism to the ammo it would be a lot more believable than mixing in a lot of weird sounding politics. That just makes you sound bias.

Well, I do have a negative bias toward Mexico. After all, most of the illegal drugs and illegal aliens come to the U.S. from Mexico.

As far as the ammo goes, my experience with Aguila appears to be different than most others. My Aguila experience is limited to 3 different varieties, with most of it coming from the one large lot of SE Subsonic ammo. I bought it for $20 per carton to plink with, but being a gadgeteer, I bought a Bald Eagle rim thickness gauge with the hope that using it would eliminate those annoying fliers. It did work, but the time required to sort the ammo didn't offset the difference in cost between the Aguila and the mid-grade Eley and RWS enough for me to want to keep doing it.

As noted earlier, I'll probably buy some of the cheap Aguila from SG for the kids to shoot at cans and rocks and sticks when we go to Colorado next week. If my kids don't shoot up their share, I'll give it to the ranch manager for his kids to shoot.
Posted By: LouisB Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/22/16
I have a brick that is SEVERAL year old and in my Mossberg 44US(a) it is by far the most accurate ammo I have.

Not so in other 22s.

That is the problem with 22s, one has t find the right ammo to get accuracy rather than working up a good load.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/23/16
Well, I do have a negative bias toward Mexico. After all, most of the illegal drugs and illegal aliens come to the U.S. from Mexico.

I lay odds I am the only member of this forum who spent an unpleasant day in a Mexican jail. That was supposedly for not having my papers right, while driving around the county side when I stated "shopping in Nogales" as my reason for entry! Yea, there is a lot of jealousy and resentment down there.

Illegal immigration is inexcusable but who do you blame for that? We should secure the boarder. That is on us. And drugs, dont get me started. This used to be a free country, with no drug laws 200 years ago. Today, its a problem to get legal prescription drugs with all the restrictions on pharmacies. That is on us too.
Posted By: fourbore Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/23/16
I forgot another point. This is not a case of CCI sending jobs to Mexico for a tax breaks, excess regulations or labor costs. IMHO, CCI (and others) dropped the ball in mis-judging rim fire demand and a Mexican company took advantage. Good business. A good economy in Mexico is good for illegal immigration and good all around. Not at the expense of the USA, it is good for everybody.

This is what we should want. Not stealing jobs but taking initiative. And by most reports a good product. That should be a win win.

Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/23/16
What I used was Rifle Match, in a black box, but now they have two types, one for 24" barrels. What the actual difference is, I don't know. The 24" stuff is called "Competition", I think. Check the Aguila website.
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/23/16
I forgot another point. This is not a case of CCI sending jobs to Mexico for a tax breaks, excess regulations or labor costs. IMHO, CCI (and others) dropped the ball in mis-judging rim fire demand and a Mexican company took advantage. Good business. A good economy in Mexico is good for illegal immigration and good all around. Not at the expense of the USA, it is good for everybody.

This is what we should want. Not stealing jobs but taking initiative. And by most reports a good product. That should be a win win.

Yup. Kinda think that since the Aguila folks are making ammo in Mexico, they ain't here illegally or selling drugs.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/23/16
[quote=Steelhead]

[/quote

It might be, but the 53 youths shooter that use my 100 yard indoor range all year round love it and may beg to differ with you. Hell I will too, I love it for working up loads in my centerfires, no wind to deal with.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/24/16
The Aguila (means Eagle) that I've bought is marked "Eley Prime". My guess is that Eley makes the primed brass and sells it to the Mexicans.

I haven't done any definitive testing, but it seems to hold its own at the price point. I heard from a major seller of competition supplies that they consider it very good. More to the point, it's been more available around here than US brands, especially CCI which I prefer.

Paul

Posted By: tikkanut Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/24/16
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Eley's primer compound is delicious smelling nose candy to me

yea.......love the Eley 17M2 smell......

same priming as the Agulia 22LR Extra

Target Sports......$374/5K rds shipped

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/aguila-superextra-ammo-22-lr-40-grain-hv-sp-p-3436.aspx
Posted By: fourbore Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/24/16
Originally Posted by Gemby58
It might be, but the 53 youths shooter that use my 100 yard indoor range all year round love it

NICE! it seems like 3 weeks running it is either, cold, very cold, colder, rain, snow or rain&snow. Today is rain on top of snow, ice cream. Indoor 100 yards, call me a yankee and build me a range! Good for the kids to, that is very generous.
Posted By: drover Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/24/16
Quite a few years ago the story I was told by a person in the shooting industry regarding Aguila 22 ammo was that when Ely replaced their machines that they were sold to Aguila and that at that time they were run under Ely supervision.

Aguila is obviously Ely primed as can be told by the smell and it is also marked Ely primed on the Aguila Super Extra. Also if you take a look at a box of Ely Sport it is marked "made in Mexico", I have no idea of the depth of collaboration between Ely and Aguila but obviously there is a degree, given the long history of interaction between Mexico and Germany this should not be surprising.

drover

Posted By: gemby58 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/28/16
Originally Posted by Gemby58
It might be, but the 53 youths shooter that use my 100 yard indoor range all year round love it

NICE! it seems like 3 weeks running it is either, cold, very cold, colder, rain, snow or rain&snow. Today is rain on top of snow, ice cream. Indoor 100 yards, call me a yankee and build me a range! Good for the kids to, that is very generous.

It's awsome for working up loads in your centerfire, you eliminate one factor the wind, and that's a big factor when shooting bench guns.
Posted By: Snowwolfe Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/28/16
My results were mostly positive. The standard velocity stuff shoots pretty good in most of my guns. The exception being two Savage rimfires. In a GL it would do roughly 3 inches at 50 yards. Changed to CCI mini mags and same rifle would go under 1 inch. It also would not function well in a left hand Savage semi auto.

The big surprises were in a 10-22 and a Ruger Mark III. In both it functions 100% and is pretty accurate as well.

I have a case of the target stuff but never played around with it yet.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/29/16
Thanks to all.... smile
Posted By: bowmanh Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/30/16
I like Aguila SE HV for use in semi-autos. It functions very reliably and shoots well. It shoots fairly well in my bolt guns but Federal Automatch seems to shoot a little better for less money. For accuracy at a reasonable price in bolt guns I like Eley Club, SK Std Plus and Norma Match.
Posted By: OldRooster Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/30/16
All of which makes me think I need to get a new stash of the standard velocity stuff with the blue on yellow box. My chooters like it. It's not match but nickel size groups, or maybe quarter size, at 50 yards are ok for me.
Posted By: zeissman Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by drover
....I have no idea of the depth of collaboration between Ely and Aguila but obviously there is a degree, given the long history of interaction between Mexico and Germany this should not be surprising.

drover

I thought Eley was made in England. You live and learn!

Recently tried some Aquila Super Extra 38gr HV HP in my old 1957 Brno Model 2 and it shot several five shot groups under .5" at 50 yards. Would buy some to use instead of the usual Mini Mag that rifle uses but nobody seems to be importing it here anymore. Annoying, as every other brand of .22LR ammo is available in abundance.

Posted By: drover Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 12/31/16
Originally Posted by zeissman
Originally Posted by drover
....I have no idea of the depth of collaboration between Ely and Aguila but obviously there is a degree, given the long history of interaction between Mexico and Germany this should not be surprising.

drover

I thought Eley was made in England. You live and learn!

Recently tried some Aquila Super Extra 38gr HV HP in my old 1957 Brno Model 2 and it shot several five shot groups under .5" at 50 yards. Would buy some to use instead of the usual Mini Mag that rifle uses but nobody seems to be importing it here anymore. Annoying, as every other brand of .22LR ammo is available in abundance.

OOPS!! Not sure what I was thinking when I made that statement. I have used Ely ammo for many years and so my only excuse is - total brain failure.

drover
Posted By: lastofthebreed Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/03/17
I just came from the range. While there, I tested some Aguila ammo. This was the first I had ever tried. I found it to be as good, and in some cases, better than CCI.

I liked the performance of the 40 gr Super Extra Hi Velocity so much, I stopped in the local Academy store and got 3 more boxes to test in my Browning T Bolt. It likes CCI Mini Mags so maybe the Aguila will be a winner in it.
Posted By: nifty-two-fifty Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/04/17
The Aguila factory was originally established in 1961 and used by Remington. In 2011 a major upgrade to the production equipment and processes was begun which has reportedly made the Aquila ammunition plant one of the best and most modern in the world.

This is from the company website:

Aguila Ammunition is manufactured in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico, by Industrias Tecnos, S.A. de C.V. In 2011, Tecnos partnered with Texas Armament & Technology (Tx-AT) to begin a facility-wide MODOP, or Modernization and Optimization, project to truly redefine ammunition production and reliability.

A February, 2016 article in American Rifleman gave the company good marks.
Posted By: Timberbuck Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/07/17
What is the point of even considering Aguila rimfire ammunition when CCI is widely available?
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/07/17
Agulia has been in stock.......$345/5K rd case shipped/in stock

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/aguila-superextra-ammo-22-lr-40-grain-hv-sp-p-3436.aspx

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-...ated-hollow-point-ammunition-p-3582.aspx

http://www.targetsportsusa.com/federal-american-eagle-22-lr-ammo-38-grain-plhp-ae22-p-1404.aspx
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/07/17
Centerfire Systems has 500 rounds of CI .22 LR HV Copper Plate 40 grain ammo priced at $29.99, plus 3% if you pay by CC, plus shipping.

www.centerfiresystems.com
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by Timberbuck
What is the point of even considering Aguila rimfire ammunition when CCI is widely available?

First, .22s are famously fussy about what they prefer so having more choices is a good thing.

Second, CCI is sometimes available, sometimes not.

Third, Aguila match ammo has performed way out of its price range for me in a couple of rifles, equalling stuff costing lots more. So far, the HS stuff hasn't been any better or even as good as CCI, so I don't bother with it. Mini-mags are consistently excellent and reliable, so they're the only HSHP I buy.
Posted By: bsa1917hunter Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/07/17

That makes me want to go and try it. Albeit, I'd probably only buy a couple 50rd. boxes first to test accuracy, in my rifles and pistols. I see a lot of it around my area. Pretty tempting now..
Posted By: GeoW Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/07/17
Centerfire Systems has 500 rounds of CI .22 LR HV Copper Plate 40 grain ammo priced at $29.99, plus 3% if you pay by CC, plus shipping.

CI ammo any good?
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by GeoW

CI ammo any good?

I don't know if it is any good or not, just that it is the least expensive .22 LR ammo that I've seen since before the Newtown, CT, school shooting on 12/14/12.
Posted By: deflave Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/07/17
Originally Posted by lastofthebreed
I just came from the range. While there, I tested some Aguila ammo. This was the first I had ever tried. I found it to be as good, and in some cases, better than CCI.

I liked the performance of the 40 gr Super Extra Hi Velocity so much, I stopped in the local Academy store and got 3 more boxes to test in my Browning T Bolt. It likes CCI Mini Mags so maybe the Aguila will be a winner in it.

The Aguila HV stuff is awesome. Especially the lightweight projectile type.

Splatters rabbits about the same as the HMR.

Dave
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

That makes me want to go and try it. Albeit, I'd probably only buy a couple 50rd. boxes first to test accuracy, in my rifles and pistols. I see a lot of it around my area. Pretty tempting now..

Just buy a brick. It's great stuff.

Dave

Is this a real question?

Clark
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/08/17

Because it's more accurate in my rifles, and as good as I can shoot with my handguns, and CCI ISN'T always available, though things are better now than two years ago.

Some folks even call it "Mexican Mini-Mags" because it's so reliable in most guns. That's high praise, in my book.

We all tend to get "focused" on what we like, and don't want to change our ways. Sometimes, trying something new is good. This IS one of those times.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/08/17
I can't wait for the temps to break and be able to get out and shoot some groups. Been wanting to try some of that Aguila in my rimfires since last year but just haven't gotten around to buying any. I fell in love with TAC-22 and haven't bought anything else. The deal is though if I never tried TAC-22 I would not of had an alternative to the mini mags I like to shoot. It's nice having options.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/08/17
Just picked up 2 bricks of Aguila super maximum. They only had the hollow point ones, wanted the solid point. They make awsome tree rat rounds, they remove heads.
Posted By: Ackleyfan Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/08/17
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL
I can't wait for the temps to break and be able to get out and shoot some groups. Been wanting to try some of that Aguila in my rimfires since last year but just haven't gotten around to buying any. I fell in love with TAC-22 and haven't bought anything else. The deal is though if I never tried TAC-22 I would not of had an alternative to the mini mags I like to shoot. It's nice having options.

I really like the Tac 22 shoots great in my M57 and is fairly reasonable!
Posted By: 260Remguy Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/09/17
The local W-M has 1,000 round boxes of Winchester/Olin M-22 for $50.87 or bulk packs of the 555 brand for $27.75.

These are probably the least expensive per round prices that I seen for .22 LR ammo since before the elementary school shooting in Newtown, CT, back in December 2012.
Posted By: gemby58 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/10/17
Went to the Field & Stream store in Harrisburg PA a few months ago and the had the 1000 round and the 500 packs of Winchester M-22. Funny thing they had the 1000 rounds priced the same as the 500 packs. Needless to say I bought all the 1000 round packs up that they had for the 500 pack price. They had eleven 1000 round packs. Haven't even shot any of t his stuff yet but for 0.02895 cents a piece it don't matter how it shoots.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/10/17

ordered another 5K rd case of these...... $344.50/shipped

$0.689 per rd shipped......not the best price.....but

no tax..no traffic...no wait in line....no limit

[Linked Image]

Posted By: ring3 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/11/17
Not much experience with Aguila 22 LR. Bought a few boxes to try when the weather allows.

Hopefully not too far off topic but late last summer I found some Aguila Silver Eagle 22 mag ammo. Not finding anything else I picked up 2 boxes. My Savage 93 loves them! Best groups it ever shot at 100 yards. Wish I would have gotten a few more. Hoping to see it on the shelf again soon.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/12/17
If you have a 10/22 sporter and desire to shoot the Aguila 60gr SSS ammo, Volquartsen is liquidating both their 1:9" and 1:16" twist SS muzzle weighted barrels for $150.

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/541-stainless-muzzle-weighted-barrel
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/13/17
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

bsa, got an email from TargetSports today and they dropped the price of the Aguilla again. Really should try a brick. At $32.99 and $33.99 respectively, you can't go wrong. I compare both of these to CCI equivalents.

I'm gonna pick up another brick of the Super Extra just for the handguns.

I think "Mexican Mini-Mag" is a good description.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/agu...tandard-velocity-sp-1b222332-p-3435.aspx

Also, will use to test my 452 coming back from CZ Custom Shop in a couple days after shortening the barrel, threading, and a trigger job. Total $92 for the work. Can't beat that, I don't think. While grilling Harlan on the work done I asked him what to expect as far as accuracy. He said "Better than before". Can only imagine how that will be because it would drive spikes before. grin

Posted By: jt402 Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/15/17
I think they have built a new plant in East Texas.

Jack
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/15/17

Fed Ex dropped my 35# case off yesterday...

Again...for me $345/5K rd case shipped is a no brainer..

no other good sources within 2 hr drive...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/16/17
tikka, that's a decent price. Too bad you gotta go all the way to a case for the free shipping.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/16/17
Originally Posted by local_dirt
tikka, that's a decent price. Too bad you gotta go all the way to a case for the free shipping.

split a case with a buddy or two.......OR

remember.....they wont spoil..........
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/17/17
grin
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/17/17
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Don't tell my wife that,i have her convinced that i need to buy fresh ammo all the time.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/17/17
Originally Posted by tikkanut
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Great advice..
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/23/17
So Lee, how much did you buy? laugh
Posted By: Redneck Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 01/23/17
Nuthin' yet... Have to pay 1st half property taxes in 7 days... $1800 kinda dampens the ammo buys, IYGMD..
Posted By: MERWIN Re: Aguila 22lr ammo - 02/22/17
Good to great results with everything I've tried so far.

Colibris act like a pellet gun (quieter than some) and may not get through a pigeon's wing. Super Colibris are more useful for the small pests. Caught a medium sized squirrel up to no good - through the shoulder at about 30' DRT. Won't feed the last round from a Ruger rotary magazine. I leave an empty in the mag to give a little lift to the last live round.

Sniper Sub Sonics surprised me with a 3" group at 100 yards without key-holing in my 77/22. Great for kicking up pine cones, rocks, etc... Will "over penetrate" in a good way on small critters. Need to get more.

Tried some of the "Supermaximum Hyper Velocity" and it severely dented my steel rimfire target. Nothing else left more than a splash of lead except for a slight depression from the heavy Sniper Sub Sonics. A second hit in the same place would have went through. Looked like I used my .22 Mag on it. I wouldn't be surprised if it did overlap into lower end .22 Mag territory. Fun stuff.
© 24hourcampfire