Home
Posted By: efw 10/22 Squirrel Rifle Build? - 12/29/16
Got a donor from a buddy and looking to build a squrrel sniping machine. Don't want it heavy so bull barrels and laminate stocks are out.

Is it best to get the factory trigger reworked? Looks like drop-in aftermarket models are pricey and I'm trying to keep this reasonably inexpensive.

Would a trigger job and Hogue do me pretty nicely or should is there significant ROI in an after market tube?

Any suggestions welcome thanks!
My 10/22 was put together to be a field carry friendly unit with some accuracy and it has not been a disappointment. i have a factory walnut stock and i bought a Green mountain SS Sporter barrel. i had someone do a bit of bolt work and clean up the trigger. it shoots TAC-22 ammo into very nice groups at 50 yrds. it also shoots minni mags into nice groups too. i'm still tweaking and wont claim it to be a true less than 1/2" group at 50 yrds, .........yet. but its getting there.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: efw Re: 10/22 Squirrel Rifle Build? - 12/29/16
Did you leave the barrel band in place w/ factory stock or remove it?

I may have to look at GM they seem to be a favorite w/ 22s. I like SS w/ blued it'd look cool!
Originally Posted by efw
Did you leave the barrel band in place w/ factory stock or remove it?

I may have to look at GM they seem to be a favorite w/ 22s. I like SS w/ blued it'd look cool!

my stock does not have the barrel band, it is a DSP
Send your trigger to Brimstone, their lower tier job was like 35 dollars and you will have A usable trigger. I would then shot the rifle, with some better ammo, you might be happy with it...
Posted By: gzig5 Re: 10/22 Squirrel Rifle Build? - 12/29/16
Green Mountain barrels are one of the better values out there.
You're likely to get more useful input on rimfirecentral than here, since that site is loaded with rabid 10/22 guys.

Like you, I didn't want to go with the heavy barrel, so I put together a 10/22 with a 24" GM fluted stainless sporter contour barrel in a Ruger Sporter stock that I sent to CPC for their full tune up. I really like the balance of the longer barrel and it shoots most ammo into less than 0.5" at 50 yards. I don't shoot squirrels with it, as I am a pretty serious squirrel hunter and much prefer to shoot squirrels with my 17HM2 bolt guns.

The CPC full tune up is over $200, but worth it if you really want to shoot small groups.

www.ct-precision.com
+1 what 260remguy said
Carbon fiber.

BX40.

Barracuda.

Dave
Carbon fiber barrel from several manufacturers.
Brimstone gunsmithing for the trigger.
Your choice on the stock, Hogue will do. I like the Magnum Research Glacier Ridge.
Leupold UL scope set to be parallax free at 60 yds.
I went with an aluminum shrouded barrel in full bull contour and did the hammer mod myself (Rimfire Central how to) and put it in a Hogue stock. It is very accurate and easy to carry.
Look at KIDD LW or ULW barrels.

[Linked Image]

This one is currently has the ULW.
I traded my 10/22 Wood stock model for the Ruger 10/22 Tactical with a Composite barrel. The trigger was terrible, so I just ordered a BX Trigger and threw the Factory on away. This was a great move, because the BX is really nice. A little expensive, but I suppose you could look around and do better than I did. Ruger offered to rework the old trigger for $35 but a heard good things about the BX. I wish I had known about Brimstone. Sounds like a better deal. Any way the tactical is nice and light and am picking off the Tree rats one after another. I shoot a couple a day and the next day there are more. Before I can go outside and pick them up, the Wolves and a pack of Coyotes get them. Lost cause.
i did a couple of 10/22's for squirrel hunting, the .22lR has a whistlepig fluted lightweight barrel, and burris glass, in a hogue stock.

The .17Mach2 is a Volquartsen carbon fiber barrel & bolt group, also in houge, with a 4-12x VX2.

they shoot pretty well, and are both very light; when hunting hyperactive gray squirrels i carry them a bit; most of the time i pack around bolt guns but the second & third shot does come in handy at times.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]Untitled by Chris Jamison, on Flickr
I built this one on the cheap from parts I got here on the fire. Hogue stock, Green Mountain threaded barrel, Power Custom sear and trigger kit. The squirrel in the pic was shot at 85 yards.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: 10/22 Squirrel Rifle Build? - 01/06/17
Nice rifle. Nice shot.
My most recent 10/22 project.

[Linked Image]Ruger 1022 Sporter Mask by X Ring, on Flickr
Posted By: bea175 Re: 10/22 Squirrel Rifle Build? - 01/07/17
I really like my 10-22 with Kid Barrel, Volquartsen Trigger and Boyd Tact Stock

[Linked Image]
Posted By: domit Re: 10/22 Squirrel Rifle Build? - 01/07/17
i have gm oct blr on mine and it is much better than i can shoot. cletus hung well did my trigger and made a great improvement!
Posted By: MCT3 Re: 10/22 Squirrel Rifle Build? - 01/07/17
[quote=wareagle700]My most recent 10/22 project.

Nice! Is that a Deluxe Sporter stock or the new Stockys Classic RF II stock?
Efw: For the last 59 years or so I have been shooting Squirrels (mostly Ground Squirrels but some Tree Squirrels as well) and I recommend you reconsider your aversion to "bull barrels and laminated stocks"!
Both of those type accessories to your Rifle will enhance and improve your Squirreling.
Most all factory 10/22's do indeed need trigger improvements and I heartily recommend that.
Best of luck in your build.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: If you do reconsider the "bull barrel" I highly recommend the Dan Lilja custom heavy stainless in 20" or 21" configuration.
Mine, on my Deluxe 10/22, has served me EXTREMELY well for more than 25 years now and far in excess of 100,000 rounds down the bore.
Originally Posted by MCT3

Nice! Is that a Deluxe Sporter stock or the new Stockys Classic RF II stock?

Thanks. Its the factory Ruger Sporter walnut stock.
Some nice rifles posted but they lack aesthetics.

If somebody told me carbon fiber and the Barracuda were where it's at, I'd have told them to get fugked.

But after owning this MR, I can definitively say that carbon fiber and the Barracuda, is where it's at.

Everybody disagrees. Until they shoot it.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hugh Re: 10/22 Squirrel Rifle Build? - 01/08/17
nice
My best friend helped me one weekend with a major home upgrade so to thank him I modified his pristine 10/22 deluxe.

I used a Green Mountain tapered barrel in his original walnut stock. No barrel band to contend with. I glass bedded the rifle and replaced the hammer and sear in the trigger to lighten it. When I sighted it in I got 10 shot group of Wolf Match ammo roughly the size of a nickel at 50 yds.

The tapered barrels are a nice compromise between a bull and a standard. They don't feel heavy but are plenty stiff.

Dan
Of all the 10/22'S I've built by far my favorite combination is a factory Deluxe sorter walnut stock with Green Mountain 16.5" fluted sporter barrel. Replace factory trigger internals with kidd and your all set.
https://www.1022rifle.com/buy/barrel

Get the tapered one and go to work on the bushy tails. I had a threaded bull barrel from them and it was scary accurate after a brimstone trigger job.
Sounds like those Green Mountain and carbon fiber barrels are pretty nice and for a decent price.

I have not been disappointed with my Kidd build, although I would not recommend this for a "budget" build. Hogue stock, Kidd .920" floated barrel, bedded action, Kidd 2-stage trigger. It will drive spikes at 50 yds, with or without a can.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by wareagle
Of all the 10/22'S I've built by far my favorite combination is a factory Deluxe sorter walnut stock with Green Mountain 16.5" fluted sporter barrel. Replace factory trigger internals with kidd and your all set.

I have near the same set up except mine is the 20" sporter barrel. today when i get home i should have a Sightron Big Sky waiting for me that i picked up in the classifieds last week. it will either go on the 10/22 or possibly one of the M77/22's but i'm leaning towards the 10/22 because it shoots so well.
boy do i have egg on my face today. got home last night and opened up the package that was there waiting for me and i find myself going DUH! the scope i bought is a Sightron 4.5x14 big sky, but it is not an AO model. it clearly shows in the pictures that there was no AO but i just assumed at that power range it had one. so now i have a decent centerfire scope for which i have no use for. BTW the seller offer to refund me for my screw up but i couldn't do it. guy was very stand up about my screw up. anyway now i'll need to try to trade or sell this one off or buy some sort of 22-250 or .223 yote gun to throw underneath.
Posted By: GSPfan Re: 10/22 Squirrel Rifle Build? - 01/20/17
EFW I sent you a PM. As an added fact kipp did a trigger job on the rifle mentioned.
© 24hourcampfire