Home
Posted By: ramrod340 Dry firing bit me - 01/13/17
For years I have dry fired 22lr. Never had an issue. Just rebuilt my fathers 1906 that he had carved his initials in 80 yrs ago and got his butt beat. Had it relined kept the old beat to crap wood and installed new wood. Had to draw file some of the rust, reblue and new liner. Old barrel was so bad the case would expand and would be a nightmare to extract. No rifling either.

Got it back slide it together did a couple dry fires to make sure everything was correct. Loaded ammo and it wouldn't chamber. Sent it back to the smith that installed the liner. He sent me a nice close-up picture showing the damage made by the firing pin. He was nice enough to clean it up and repair my stupidity. So just a week and $50 round trip shipping.

Now I have dummy 22lr stamp caps. frown

Lesson learned.
Posted By: Timbo Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/13/17
Many of the older rimfire guns are damaged by dry firing. You'll often see the face of the chamber or extractor on the old single shots beaten up so badly that they will no longer put off a live round.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/13/17
The Winchester 74 is one that easilies damage upon dry firing. The Rugers though are good to go as far as dry firing. Got to know your guns, each and every one of them. But especially the older rimfires.
Posted By: gnoahhh Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/14/17
That's why I always gather up a handful of empties after a day's shooting- to use them for dry fire practice at home.
Posted By: bea175 Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/14/17
I have never dry fired any of my rim fires even as a kid I was told not to do this and I am now in my mid 60's and would never do this.
Posted By: barm Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/14/17
My friend damaged his father's Chuckster doing the same thing. Lesson learned.
Posted By: StudDuck Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/15/17
Originally Posted by ramrod340
For years I have dry fired 22lr. Never had an issue. Just rebuilt my fathers 1906 that he had carved his initials in 80 yrs ago and got his butt beat. Had it relined kept the old beat to crap wood and installed new wood. Had to draw file some of the rust, reblue and new liner. Old barrel was so bad the case would expand and would be a nightmare to extract. No rifling either.

Got it back slide it together did a couple dry fires to make sure everything was correct. Loaded ammo and it wouldn't chamber. Sent it back to the smith that installed the liner. He sent me a nice close-up picture showing the damage made by the firing pin. He was nice enough to clean it up and repair my stupidity. So just a week and $50 round trip shipping.

Now I have dummy 22lr stamp caps. frown

Lesson learned.

Who was your smith? Looking to have similar work done.
Posted By: ramrod340 Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/15/17
John Farner in NM
Posted By: 1minute Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/15/17
Never a good idea on rim fires. Probably the modern arms can take it, but old habits are hard to break. My bolt actions are all equipped with box magazines, but I shoot them single shot because I can't stand it when I've lost count and pull the trigger on an empty chamber.
Posted By: moosemike Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/15/17
I've never dry fired a rimfire. Never plan to.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/15/17
Get a box of yellow plastic dry wall anchors at a hardware or big box store, size #4-6, IIRC. About $3 per 100.

They are a perfect fit in a .22 LR chamber, will extract and eject fine, but won't feed through a magazine. Can't have everything! Each will take several hits before wearing out.

Paul

Posted By: Ranger99 Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/15/17
snap caps are cheap considering
what repairs cost
Posted By: ramrod340 Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/15/17
LOL I actually bought 100 of the dry wall anchors after seeing it on YouTube.

Not a mistake I'll make again. Now I can only hope my grandson who is getting the rifle will listen to Grandpa.
Posted By: BGunn Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/16/17
Rimfire iron

I never needed one, but I guess they make 'em.

Posted By: Redneck Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/16/17
Originally Posted by Paul39
Get a box of yellow plastic dry wall anchors at a hardware or big box store, size #4-6, IIRC. About $3 per 100.

They are a perfect fit in a .22 LR chamber, will extract and eject fine, but won't feed through a magazine. Can't have everything! Each will take several hits before wearing out.

Paul

Great info.. Never thought of those.. TY.
Posted By: crossfireoops Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/16/17
Originally Posted by BGunn
Rimfire iron

I never needed one, but I guess they make 'em.

I have one,....they work really well in the softer /older barrels,...
So many turn up in sad condition,....though it's a great haggling point for one prone to the mystique old "brown guns".

They WILL try deform a work hardening steel on the off side of the strike,....solution ?

.....Imperial wax

GTC
Posted By: 22250rem Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/16/17
Originally Posted by Paul39

Paul
That's what I use; Yellow Plastic Dry Wall Anchors, #4-6 x 7/8". First learned of them a couple (?) years ago on the internet. May have been right here but I don't recall exactly. They seem to work well even though I don't dry fire my rimfires very often, even with one of those in the chamber. They're good for quite a few dry fires before wearing out, plus, they're so cheap it doesn't bother me to toss one.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/17/17
I remember like yesterday, my grandpa smacking me on the butt for doing that with his single shot, pull to cock Winchester .22 rifle. I never did that again. smile
Posted By: kellory Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/17/17
I was taught as a kid never to dry fire any weapon. That it did damage or could break a firing pin. any truth to that?
is dry firing good or bad practice? And Why?
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/17/17
Originally Posted by kellory
I was taught as a kid never to dry fire any weapon. That it did damage or could break a firing pin. any truth to that?

it depends on the particular firearm. as a good rule of thumb, don't do it, and especially don't do it if it is not YOUR firearm. that being said there are several models out there that state in the owners manual that it is safe to dry fire that firearm, Ruger is one that states it is safe to dry fire any of their firearms including rimfire models. if you don't know, dont do it.
Posted By: kellory Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/17/17
Originally Posted by JimHnSTL

it depends on the particular firearm. as a good rule of thumb, don't do it, and especially don't do it if it is not YOUR firearm. that being said there are several models out there that state in the owners manual that it is safe to dry fire that firearm, Ruger is one that states it is safe to dry fire any of their firearms including rimfire models. if you don't know, dont do it.

thank you, i will check with the manufacturer.
Posted By: cwh2 Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/19/17
Ruger is one that states it is safe to dry fire any of their firearms including rimfire models. if you don't know, dont do it.

Interesting... I am pretty sure I have a 22/45 that was damaged by dry firing.
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/19/17
Originally Posted by cwh2
Ruger is one that states it is safe to dry fire any of their firearms including rimfire models. if you don't know, dont do it.

Interesting... I am pretty sure I have a 22/45 that was damaged by dry firing.

All I can say is the owner manual states it is safe.
Posted By: kellory Re: Dry firing bit me - 01/30/17

thank you, i will check with the manufacturer.

Well, i finally got ahold of the manufacturer (one who could speak English) and discovered a few things. Rohm nolonger has anything to do with guns due to a anti-gun lawsuit in 1986. They are back to making lathe chucks, as they did before guns. There is no factory info or knowledge available for this model or any model. But the RG-39 seems to be pretty rare. Most were 38S models or RG-10.22lr revolvers. I found only three references of someone owning a RG-39. and very few work as well, or as accurately as this one. Ignition problems seem to be a reoccurring theme.
I will avoid dry firing, since it is doubtful It can be repaired for any reasonable fee.
© 24hourcampfire