Home
Posted By: Boise Subsonic Ammo - 01/21/17
I'm having trouble locating subsonic ammo for my suppressed CZ 455. The barrel is at 16 1/2 but I'm still getting sonic cracks with standard velocity ammo. The CCI Quiet is mega quiet but accuracy is terrible in my rifle. What do you recommend/use?

I've tried CCI Standard Velocity, Winchester T22, and Sellier & Bellot Subsonic without any luck. Plus neither the solid or segmented CCI Quiet shoot acceptably in my rifle.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/21/17
My favorite is Eley SS HP. They give me the best mix of accuracy and expansion and are quiet from my suppressed rifles. That's why I use them, but they are more expensive.

Others to try: RWS SSHP, Winchester SS Truncated Cone, Fiocchi SSHP, Norma SSHP and CCI makes 40gr SSHP and 45gr suppressor SSHP rounds.

Several of my rifles shoot the CCI Seg SSHP (1050 fps flavor) very well and it's a devastating small game round.
Posted By: Boise Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/21/17
Thank you for your reply: I'm the impatient type and not hearing anything earlier I went ahead to my local Cabelas to see what they had. Impressive amount of rimfire ammo on the shelf but only the Norma SSHP and Aquila SS. I returned with a box of Norma to try. Will know shortly if I need to go back and get a brick.
Posted By: atomic_punk Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/21/17
the Norma has shot very good in several rimfires that I have tried it in.
Just tried the Norma SSHP, 50 yards, 10 shots, 0.70 inch. I'll pick up a brick or two Monday morning.
Posted By: deflave Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/21/17
Originally Posted by Boise
Thank you for your reply: I'm the impatient type and not hearing anything earlier I went ahead to my local Cabelas to see what they had. Impressive amount of rimfire ammo on the shelf but only the Norma SSHP and Aquila SS. I returned with a box of Norma to try. Will know shortly if I need to go back and get a brick.

The Aguila is awesome.

A lot of Eley "match" is subsonic. It may not be advertised as SS but it is.

Dave
Dave, I pick up a box of the Aquila Monday and compare against the Norma. I'll post my results.

Cabelas had bricks of each, no single boxes, but they were willing to break up a brick during today's visit.

Shooting at my place goes out to 50 yards with the vast majority at 30. I'm very happy with 0.70 at 50.
Posted By: MCT3 Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/21/17
Originally Posted by deflave

The Aguila is awesome.

A lot of Eley "match" is subsonic. It may not be advertised as SS but it is.

Dave

Yes. A lot of the mid-priced "match" ammo like the Eley or Aguila or Wolf MT or SK Std +, etc. shoot well in most 22's and are subsonic. When 22 ammo was really scarce a few years ago, I bought a HP tool so I could modify those rounds that shot well in my 22's to HP's for hunting.
Dave, I pick up a box of the Aquila Monday and compare against the Norma. I'll post my results.

Cabelas had bricks of each, no single boxes, but they were willing to break up a brick during today's visit.

Shooting at my place goes out to 50 yards with the vast majority at 30. I'm very happy with 0.70 at 50.

Any wagers... grin.

Dave
Posted By: TWR Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/21/17
My CZ455 shoots the Eley HP SS very well too but I'm gonna try some Aguila SS just because Dave recommends it.
I can't say my 455 doesn't like anything. But I will say it shoots the Aguila SS better than every Eley I've tried.

Dave
Posted By: MCT3 Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/22/17
I need to try the Aguila SS
Posted By: ilikemilitaria Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/23/17
Originally Posted by MCT3
My favorite is Eley SS HP...

Ditto on that for me too.

Love the stuff. Shoots better out of my CZ's/BRNO rifles than I do most times.

dave
Posted By: Boise Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/23/17
Originally Posted by deflave

Any wagers... grin.

Dave

I stopped in today for the Aquila and learned they only offer solids, I didn't pick any up.
Posted By: JB in SC Re: Subsonic Ammo - 01/24/17
Eley SS Hollow Xtra Plus, bought a bunch of it before the ammo "shortage".
© 24hourcampfire