Home
Posted By: dogzapper A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17

Friends, this has been a GREAT .22 rifle. YES, I shoot it and the rifle has been my go-to .22 for many, many years now. It is both beautiful and it shoots wonderfully.

A Kimber of Oregon, sort of a one-of-a-kind with exibition +++ grade walnut; the grain and the fiddleback end-to-end on both sides is crazy.

Anyway, I kind of like it.

Hope you enjoy seeing my .22 rifle ....

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: dogzapper Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17

Oh yeah, the serial number is "Steve's .22" grin grin grin

God Bless,

Steve

[Linked Image]

Posted By: deflave Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17
That's a gopher getter!

Love the bolt turner-thingy.

Travis

Yep, I made that out of an old rusty file thingie and soft-soldered it on. So far it ain't fallen off grin

Seriously, KofO made a very, very limited Brownell Series, like Lenard Brownell. I got to meet Lenard and we spent most of two days together ... he was one heck of a great man and a true artist.

After the series was finished, we had ONE Mannlicher bolt left and I high-graded this damnably killer piece of wood out.

Later, we put this puppy together and it totally exceeded my expectations in every possible way.

Steve

I like it.

What do you usually shoot out of it?

Dave

It shoots Mini-Mag HPs really well ... and I have a few cases of an OLD LOT (like 8-10 years old) of Winchester Power Points that are superbly accurate.

In no wind, it shoots minute-of-gopher-head at 75-yards (or a little further) consistently.

The recent lots of Winchester Power Points basically suck. Makes me feel good to have a stash. grin

Stash be GOOD.

Steve
Gophers are up down by Great Falls.

Spring is upon us....

Travis

Originally Posted by deflave

Spring is upon us....

Travis

When I was a Montana farm-kid, I did gopher control on my grand-parent's farm east of Corvallis, Montana. Then, my armament was a Hamilton .22 (that my uncle earned by selling crappy garden seeds) and a Remington Rolling Block .32 Rimfire.

For each gopher tail, I got a new Winchester .22 shell, so this led me to the sport of gopher fishing ... a hand-operated snare made of magneto wire.

I love gopher hunting and it would be great to close out my hunting life killing a bazillion gophers.

Not this year, though. Later this year, we're going on a little Catholic pilgrimage to Portugal (Fatima), Spain (Santiago de Compostela and other delights) and France (Lourdes).

That will probably be our last pilgrimage ... and we've had many.

Blessings,

Your friend Steve

Posted By: MCT3 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17
Wow, Steve! That is a one of a kind Beauty. That would make a Steyr Zephyr jealous!
Posted By: NDHuntr Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17
Beautiful! Thanks for sharing Steve! I need to get a good 22lr someday...
Posted By: JimHnSTL Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17
Don't take this the wrong way but, ........I Hate You!
It's nothing personal, ..........it's just business.
Envy is a terrible sin.
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Spring is upon us....

Travis

When I was a Montana farm-kid, I did gopher control on my grand-parent's farm east of Corvallis, Montana. Then, my armament was a Hamilton .22 (that my uncle earned by selling crappy garden seeds) and a Remington Rolling Block .32 Rimfire.

For each gopher tail, I got a new Winchester .22 shell, so this led me to the sport of gopher fishing ... a hand-operated snare made of magneto wire.

I love gopher hunting and it would be great to close out my hunting life killing a bazillion gophers.

Not this year, though. Later this year, we're going on a little Catholic pilgrimage to Portugal (Fatima), Spain (Santiago de Compostela and other delights) and France (Lourdes).

Blessings,

Your friend Steve

Steve,

Please reconsider that whole charitable thing.

I got plenty of gopher shooting.

I'll even buy the beer.

Travis
Posted By: smithrjd Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17
Beautiful rifle, makes a CZ 452 full stock with good wood look bad..

Spring is upon us....

Travis

Blessings,

Your friend Steve

Steve,

Please reconsider that whole charitable thing.

I'll even buy the beer.

Travis

Travis, my friend,

Hopefully, one day we will kill gophers until we are tired of it (doubtfully) and get drunk together ... I would like that.

Your bud Steve

PS. Out of here before the azzholes start posting what a total dick Steve is and will always be grin They are probably RIGHT!!!!

I may have to make a road trip just to say hello.

Or you can make a road trip and drink all my beer...grin.

Great rimfire.

Travis
Posted By: FieldGrade Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17
WOW!

I won't lie.....I'm green... frown
Posted By: T Bone Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17
Cool rifle.

Enjoy the Camino.
Posted By: FWP Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17
Beautiful!!
Posted By: ring3 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/17/17
Very nice rifle. I remain a dreamer that someday I might own one as special as yours.
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/18/17

Spring is upon us....

Travis

Blessings,

Your friend Steve

I'll even buy the beer.

Travis

Saving for later...
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/18/17
That is a beautiful rifle Steve
Posted By: mudhen Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/18/17
Been trying to think of something that hasn't already been said, but all I can say is, "that is one magnificent rifle."
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/18/17
Too bad they couldn't find a nice piece of wood for it!😜
Posted By: moosemike Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/18/17
Wow!
Posted By: Oldquailhunter Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/18/17

Spring is upon us....

Travis

Really? I keep getting emails that this has been the worst winter in 40 years and deer/elk/antelope are dying by the hundreds and gophers are up already.

Beautiful rifle Steve. Don't forget I'm adoptable...lol

Dink
Posted By: deflave Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/18/17
I can't speak to the rest of the state but our winter was pretty cold and average snowfall.

I don't see our bird, deer, antelope, or gophers taking a hit.

Dave
Posted By: dave284 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/19/17
Damn that is nice.

I'm betting it has never killed a tree rat, which is a travesty for any .22. Send it to WV and and I would be willing to cure that for you at no charge. Your too nice of a guy and I would hate to see you get in trouble with the .22 police. grin

Your pal.
Posted By: wageslave Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/19/17
My name is Steve.
Hit my box up......
Posted By: T LEE Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/19/17
What an absolutely gorgeous rifle! Truly a work of art Steve.
Blessings,
Terry
Posted By: Dobegrant Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/20/17
wow, that is a beautiful rifle
Posted By: VarmintGuy Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/20/17
Dogzapper: Wow what a beautiful Rifle you have there Steve!
Good for you.
Many years ago I had an "in" at a gunshop that got "firsties" on some Kimber of Oregon Rifles. I bought several of them and some had matching serial numbers.
I still have most all of them and a couple of centerfires in 221 Remington Fireball and 218 Bee - I haven't shot any of my rimfire Kimbers of Oregon.
They have appreciated greatly and for that I am happy and again hesitant to shoot them.
Several of mine have "superb" wood in my opinion but none compare to the over all beauty and uniqueness of your fiddleback "madness" Rifle!
Again good for you.
And be careful and enjoy your mission.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
P.S.: I will dedicate a days shooting of Ground Squirrels this spring here in central Montana to you!
Posted By: jackmountain Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/20/17
KofO rimfires are something special. Yours even more so. Especially the early models. Had a "c" that was a heavier stainless barrel. An SSV? Maybe? The checkering was crooked as a dog dick and the metal to wood fit sucked.
The 80's models seem to have a soul though. It's obvious somebody that gave a damn put them together.
Posted By: orion03 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/20/17
Good God! My lap top just moved.
Posted By: TexasPhotog Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/20/17
That's a beautiful rifle, DZ!
Posted By: kragman1 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/21/17
I'd like to say "if only it were a .358...", but really, I just can't. Its magnificent.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/21/17

Spring is upon us....

Travis

Blessings,

Your friend Steve

Steve, sounds like a great trip you all have planned. God Bless and Have Fun!

Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/22/17
They are out in the Bear Paws too.

Nice rifle!

Posted By: PennDog Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/23/17
Steve,

That is the quintessential .22 rifle (in my book) - a beautiful piece of artistry, engineering and nature!! Thanks for sharing!!

PennDog
Posted By: utah708 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/24/17
Magnificent gun, Steve.

I'll bring another Kimber to the party. It also prefers the old white box Winchester ammo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It has nice wood, but I needed the help of Earl Milliron (an old Portland gunmaker) and Kathy Forster (a former Kimber checkerer) to get it there.
Posted By: gonzaga Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 02/26/17
Beautiful rifle, first thing I noticed was the wood grain, and then the bolt. I've never seen a bolt like that before, great to see it was custom made by the owner not the factory.....
Great rifle Steve, great that it's personalized for you. I'd change my name to Steve if I had that rifle.....lol.
Thanks for sharing with us less fortunate souls.
Posted By: 222Sako Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 03/11/17
Steve, have you EVER had a rifle that didn't shoot as well as it looked?! You have certainly shared some beautiful guns with us here and in magazine articles thru the years. Thank You. May God bless you during your travels. Be safe, my friend.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 03/11/17
Dang Steve that sure is a nice one.

Fatima and Lourdes would be a good and timely pilgrimage to take... enjoy...
Posted By: Waders Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 03/27/17
Great rifle, Steve!
Posted By: 65BR Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 04/05/17
Beautiful- love the Mannlicher stock and yes the bolt handle is a great touch.

Hope you and your family are well, and you are enjoying safe travels.

God Bless.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 04/09/17
Steve, my name is not Steve.

It would not bother me in the least if I carried a rifle like that with a Steve serial #.

I might change my name to Steve.

Posted By: 222Sako Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 04/29/17
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Steve, my name is not Steve.

It would not bother me in the least if I carried a rifle like that with a Steve serial #.

I might change my name to Steve.

Wait a minute, MY name is Steve....Dogzapper, if you ever feel the need to rid yourself of that 22, I'd be glad to oblige you grin
Posted By: RJM Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 05/01/17
..with that rifle...you only need one.

Just beautiful.

Bob
Posted By: Tungsten Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 05/02/17
Dannngg now that's sharp
Posted By: kellory Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 05/02/17
Beautifully done.
Posted By: Pugs Re: A Great .22 Rifle - 05/03/17
Somehow I missed this. Stunning rifle Steve. I'm a bit of a rimfire slut and I haven't gotten a new on3 in months. You wouldn't want me to undergo withdrawals would you? That would be cruel. eek
© 24hourcampfire