Home
I'm looking at a new Polaris 500 HO Sportsman ATV and it comes without the EBS, or engine braking system, on it from the factory. It can be added for $400 to $500.
Does anyone have any real world experience with, or without, the EBS? TIA
I just got a new 550 last Friday. I chose the 550 over the 500 for the ebs.

If you are only using the bike in flat country, no biggie. I use mine in Ky. and Co. so, I need the engine breaking.
I have one of each. If you will be riding with any hills where you may pick up speed on the way down, get the EBS for sure. It works fantastic and helps prevent uncontrolled slides. I bought one without EPS after already having the other (great used buy) and I really wish I had it.
I just road a Polaris 400 with an engine break while in Alaska. If given the choice I wouldn't have one without it. It really adds to your control when going down hill.
I'd skip the Polaris all together and get something with EBS, a decent braking system, and one you can trust to get you back to your truck.
So far, Polaris has the lowest price with the Sportsman 500, but no EBS. Arctic Cat (450) is next in line and adds EFI and EBS and a 2 year warranty. Suzuki (King Quad 400) is next price wise. 400Can Am (400) is WAY out there on price. Honda (Rancher) needs to update suspension and transmissions. Yamaha (Grizzly 450) is too proud of their products. At least the dealers around here are. Can Am, Honda and Yamaha are so close in price that there's not much difference with them.

With some of the prices that are being quoted, you'd think that there was no economic slowdown. I may just buy a new pair of boots and keep walking.
get the polaris with EBS. you will get the best
trail riding atv out.
I went the used Yamaha 450 Grizzly route. Around here you can find used quads with low hours. I used to have a Honda Rancher and one of my hunting partners rides a Polaris 700. I think Yamaha has them beat with their 4wd system and size to power ratio. My 2007 Grizzly with 150 hrs ran me 4250.00.

I'd go used if you can find one.
Don't hesitate to buy Polaris! I've had several for years and have had no issues.
As far as Polaris go, a friend on a ranch here says they don't last with the rough way they use them. However, I would bet that the ATV's that ride the tundra in Alaska get more abuse per season than the vast majority of ATVs in the 48. The Polaris' that I had used and friends who talk about theirs keep on going.

If you're going to the Polaris, get the EBS. I had a Suzuki KQ but it was a 700, so I can't say about that one. The Rancher is probably my second choice on your list but you're right, they fall behind on most of the others on things like breaks and suspension. Can Am is VERY proud of their stuff. I'd have a Renegade 4x4 if they weren't.

If you can swing it, the Griz 450 is top of the line and will be the next wheeler I get. I'm waiting another year or two so I can buy a used one with power steering. I can't swallow the 7K price tag the new wheelers are going for.

If suspension is real important, Polaris has the best ride.
Have a 500 Polaris Magnum with EBS that is now almost 10 years old and it has been a great ATV. I do like and recommend the EBS if where you ride is very hilly.
Prices are all over the place.
2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO $5563 OTD. Non-EBS
2010 AC 450 $6150 OTD.
2011 Can Am 400 $6466 OTD.
2011 Suzuki 400 KQ $6254 OTD.
2011 Yamaha Griz non-eps 450 $7214 OTD.
2012 Yamaha Griz 450 w/eps $7850 OTD.

It appears that the Polaris Sportsman 500 HO is, dollar for dollar, the best buy on a new atv.

I've looked at used atvs here and the prices are as out of line used as they are new. It seems that a 2001 atv is worth $2500-$3000 in just about any condition. That is my main reason at looking for a new one. Otherwise, I'd get a nice used one and save some money.
Holy crap that's a lot of $ for a wheeler.

I'd not pay that, even for the Yammi. Find a good used one you like. MANY good wheelers in the $3-4K range. Damn near new if you're patient.
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
As far as Polaris go, a friend on a ranch here says they don't last with the rough way they use them. However, I would bet that the ATV's that ride the tundra in Alaska get more abuse per season than the vast majority of ATVs in the 48. The Polaris' that I had used and friends who talk about theirs keep on going.

the atv is not getting any more abuse in alaska then they do in va. riding in rocks all day.wv has some of worst trails for atv's . coal dust eats them up fast.
I went back to the Polaris dealer today for a closer look at atvs. It seems that not even the 900 XP Rzr has EBS on it. As a matter of fact NONE of the Polaris side by sides have it. It's just on a few of the Sportsman models. I was quoted $522 to install EBS on a Sportsman 500 HO.
A used '08 500 Sportsman will run $4600 plus tax.
The new atv is looking better and better. It's either that or sit and wait to see what comes along, or keep on walking.

Thanks to everyone for their input.
Did you check Craigslist?
I've been looking at Craigslist, atv trader, etc. The thing that people around here do is look up Kelley Blue Book retail price. Then, it's take it or leave it at retail price. Never mind the broken plastic, bald tires, etc., it's a retail priced machine.

Here's an example. 2005 Polaris Sportsman: "2501 miles on it but the speedo quit working due to wheel bearing. This just happened. If I replace the bearings the price will go up. It starts, runs great 4wd works great. It also has a plow mount on it but no blade. Price: $3300 as is, more if I fix it."
That's nuts. He'll be fixing the bearing it sounds like.
The new sportsman is a nice machine. If you can swing it I'd suggest EFI, you'd like that in the winter time.
I also priced the EFI, which is the 550 XP. BIG price jump over the 500 HO carb model. I agree with you on the EFI, but ouch on the price.

2011 500 HO $5250 plus tax. 6% in MI.
2011 550 XP $7247 plus tax. Adds bigger tires, EFI and EBS/ADC.
I have a 2000 Sportsman 500 with the EBS, and I wouldn't be without it. Rarely use the brakes unless I am going pretty fast, and on the narrow bush trails around here, 20 mph is fast.
Wow that is a big price jump lol!

Nuthing wrong with the HO (carb) it just puzzles me that they offer it without EBS. When I worked there I guess I sort of felt like EBS was becoming standard on heavier utility machines like the sportsman line.

I don't understand why any manufacturer WOULDN'T put it on a machine?

Polaris doen't have the best braking system to begin with, but that aside, I would defenitaly want it on any auto machine I have.

Are other ATV manufactures going this route?
I have a 2012 Sportsman 550xp. It is a nice machine. The ebs is very noticeable when pulling my brush mower behind it. the ride has been excellent, over all been very durable. I have about 360 miles on this unit now, never had an issue. very fast too! i would consider buying one of these.
I hope you would consider buying one, you have one. laugh

Buschy, since you build these things maybe you can answer. Why do they make one without EBS?
Originally Posted by srwshooter
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter

the atv is not getting any more abuse in alaska then they do in va. riding in rocks all day.wv has some of worst trails for atv's . coal dust eats them up fast.

Don't be sure. Many parts of rural Alaska offer the lumps and mire of tundra, the rocks of the trail-less hills, and the salt of coastal beaches. Ours sure don't know anything different. Add to that the miles and hours the machines get here in many places, and Alaska is a formidable ATV test ground. We got a new ATV on the 3rd of this month. Presently it has 390 miles and nearly 30 hours on it's clock. Polaris ATVs do not have a good track record in these conditions. The best place to see them other than at the dealer, is to look for a broken down wreck behind someone's house. Typically a running Honda, or one of the other brands, will be in the driveway.
Just to keep the cost down. right now the sporstman 500 is one of the biggest sellers out there because of the price point on these machines. its been around for years and is a very well built machine. we'll get you switched yet Tzone!
Originally Posted by BuschPilot
Just to keep the cost down. right now the sporstman 500 is one of the biggest sellers out there because of the price point on these machines. its been around for years and is a very well built machine. we'll get you switched yet Tzone!

I already 'switched', you had me twice already.
Bought the 2011 Polaris Sportsman 500 HO. Will pick up tomorrow.
Thanks to everyone for their input. It is appreciated.
Congrats!
Cool. Pics soon?
I snapped a couple of pics of the Polaris after I got it home. It was a cool 26 here this AM.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
It's a good looking rig.
fine looking rig!
Thanks. I rode it a bit this weekend at camp and put about 10 miles on the atv. So far, I'm pleased with it.
If you're looking for accories to put on it, I will suggest the steel bar that goes on the rear rack like the old style. It gives you a little more storage and something more to tie down onto.

Look on the back of my bike to see what I'm talking about because I didn't explain it very well.

[Linked Image]

I think on the Polaris, they wrap around the sides a little, where mine just stops at the back.
You are right, the raised bar on the rear rack is a good idea. I really liked it on my old '87 Foreman. The Polaris racks do take a bit of getting used to after having metal racks.
I'm debating getting a winch first and then adding the racks later on.

BTW, nice Foreman. They're great atv's.
I didn't like the plastic racks on the Polaris' at first, but I don't know anyone thats had an issue with them really. My FIL added a tall bar on the back and a shorter one on the front. The plastic racks have spots to tie to, but it was a pain in the ass to get a rubber strap in there and off again.

I'd get the winch first FWIW.

Thanks, on the comment about the Foreman. It was one of those deals that doesn't happen to me very often. It is older but had less than 300mi on it when I bought it last spring(still does).

I bought it from the landowner where I turkey hunt, he has a bad foot and couldn't shift it anymore so he bought an auto. I got it for $2200. Ma wasn't impressed when I told her I bought it. When I brought it home, she didn't mind because it was nice. It's paid for so I like that part. I want to add another to the stable so we can all ride, but I'm having a hard time swallowing the price tag...as you saw.
You got a very good deal on your Foreman. You'd never touch it around here for that kind of money.

I've been looking for a 400-500cc 4x4 atv for over a year. Many of them were beat up and the rest were "blue book retail priced" and above. Also, I got awful tired of driving to see a "lightly used" atv that required major repairs.
Rather than pay $4000+ for a used 2006-2008 atv, we decided to just get a new one and be done with it.
© 24hourcampfire