Home
Posted By: ironbender Crooked Stirrups - 02/08/12
Any testimonials one way or the other?
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/08/12
Ironbender, they work. They are pricey and as far as I know only come in 3" widths. Also, there are ways to create the same effect for yourself, but if you are experiencing knee or ankle pain when riding they are worth looking at. I really recommend them for people who don't ride often. For example, in spite of the cost, if I owned a string of dude horses I'd put Crooked Stirrups on the saddles.
Posted By: interthem Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/08/12
When I had a leather saddle, I used those little metal gizmos that offset the stirrips so your knees still work after 10 hours on the trail. At 50 pounds all up, that saddle was leading me to rotator cuff surgery. Switched to an all synthetic saddle and bags (Abebetta) that weighs 21 pounds and even has a memory foam cushion seat to protect my bony old azz. With cordura saddle you don't need the offsets as the fender are far more flexible. Low cool factor, high comfort factor.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/08/12
I've seen them for about $85 recently. While spendy, that is considerably less than the $180 or so I saw them for about 2 years ago.

If I could just borrow a set, I could copy them.
Posted By: cal74 Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/14/12
I bought my mom a set of twisted/slanted stirrups (she has short legs and a bad knee) and she LOVES them. Another of her friends bought the same pair.

Think they were Wells Twisted/Slanted?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/14/12
I'm not looking for the kind with a pivot in them, but the style that allows an angle to foot placement.

[Linked Image]

OK, I found the Walls twisted. Does the pair you got look like this?
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Robster Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/14/12
I like these.

http://dynamitehorsemansupply.com/c...ct_info&cPath=87&products_id=445
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/14/12
Robster, those look like my wife's pair. Ironbender, some guys have taken to modifying their existing stirrups. Sometimes you can angle either the existing foot pad or you can modify the hanger. I know one guy who puts an angled piece of wood in his pad and seems to think it works. Many years ago I believe there were stirrups out there that set the hanger bar at an angle. But I think if you bought a pair you wouldn't be disappointed. I think they especially help with round-barreled horses. I'm not an eBay guy, but have you checked?
Posted By: Robster Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/14/12
I have the pair I posted in the link and I think they help a lot. Need to get a pair for my daughter but most of her riding is english. She only rides western on the trail or when we go camping so it is not all that often to justify the expense.
Originally Posted by ironbender

OK, I found the Walls twisted. Does the pair you got look like this?
[Linked Image]

Those are it, been very happy with them and with the twist they help with shorter leg people as well or on newer saddles with fenders that aren't broken in.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/14/12
not an Ebay-er either.

I might make a set. From the pics, it looks like they have a 15* angle.

Or, I might just buy a pair. Prices are about half what they were not too long ago.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/14/12
I must be really backward.I have never heard or seen these. What are they suppose to do?

On long rides,the out side of my foot ( little toe) tends to start to hurt from my weight in the saddle and that edge of my foot pressing outward. I probably tend to use more weight in the stirrup than most, as I ride a lot of rough country hunting. Going up hills isn't a problem. Coming down is.

Or it might be that sometimes I have pack animals that think they need to do some thing else, and I have to dally to pull them along and then I must counter balance with my foot to keep the saddle in place.

I can't use them anyway as I have the STI breakaway stirrups that cannot be fitted with these.

Interesting though and I'm always ready to learn more things. How about explaining them?
Originally Posted by saddlesore
What are they suppose to do?

If you ever look at someone from behind while riding you'll notice the persons legs going out at an angle. The shorter the legs and/or the fatter the horse the angle is even more.

Your body will naturally put more pressure on that outside of your foot and after a while it can just plain hurt, plus your balance isn't as good as it could be as your not getting all the contact you could be or it's not evened out if you look at it that way.

The slanted stirrups help alleviate such conditions and the twisted/slanted stirrups just help to keep your stirrup at a 45 degree angle with the saddle (the way they're supposed to be).

Several pro Rodeo Cowboys use the slanted stirrups and from my experience they're worth the investment.

edit: Scroll down and look at the pics
http://crookedstirrups.com/
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/14/12
"Your body will naturally put more pressure on that outside of your foot and after a while it can just plain hurt"

That's me.I'm 5'5" and my legs don't reach very far down on my 15hd fat mule.

So if I could figure out away to build up the outside inner surface of my break away stirrups, would that work.
I have been hung up and hanging up is a lot worse than hurting toes.

Thanks
Posted By: Dan_H Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/15/12
Looks real interesting Mike - have you got a set coming yet?
Looks real interesting Mike - have you got a set coming yet?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/15/12
Vince-
I haven't used them yet, but I've seen them and know a few folks that have used them. The theory os that it takes the torque away from the knee. The knee does not have to twist against itself when in pretty much a sitting position, knees spread, and toes pointed back in. The stirrups fit the ergonomics of that position and are easier on the knees.

on a trail ride or riding into camp, etc., I often have to take my feet out of my stirrups to ease the discomfort of my knees.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/15/12
Not yet Dan. We're planning our annual spring hammer-in and I may make a set then.

Tack-shop Charlie had some in his trailer store at the rodeos. I think he uses them and a few other ropers. The funny thing to me is those guys are only in the saddle for 20-30 minutes at a time.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/15/12
My knees at this point are ok.The only thing that really hurts is the outside of my foot.Mostly at my little toe.

Know what you mean about ropers and only ridng 20 minutes or so.Had a guy once bragging about the pad/blanket he was using as all the ropers used them. I pointed that out and it quickly ended the conversation.
Not to take anything away from ropers, but until someone spends 10-15 hours a day in the saddle for a few months, 24 /7, they really don't get an appreciation of what works and what doesn't.
Not a roper, but if the stirrups help with balance during a roping run. Their rides are high intensity. Zero to wide open, stand up, throw rope, sit down, dally, brace for impact and veer left, stop back up under tension.... Endurance riders use thins leathers and big tread to get comfort.
It looks from the STI breakaway stirrup site that the ropers and vislia models are "angled"? I have only handled one pair and they were a pretty small pair - don't remember if they were "angled" or not. Tack shops here are not real well stocked variety wise..
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/15/12
My STI's are not angled.
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/16/12
Saddlesore, I would recommend them for you. You could probably put some sort of taps on them to keep from hanging up. I've hung up once. Nothing else quite like it. Once is enough.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/16/12
Mtrancher.Boy,I don't know after hanging upside down with only my shoulder touching the ground I'm real leery.
I was riding a three yr old green mule that slipped on a rock, fell and then jumped back up. I was lucky enough she did not bolt and I could grab one rein. But if I had been riding alone,I'd be dead today.
No way I could have freed myself.
I certainly understand. But knowing a little about your age, length of legs, and having a round-barreled horse or two I'd suggest looking into it. I know of a situation locally where the guy did die though he hung up in his lariat, not his stirrup. As much as I like Crooked Stirrups I am not presently using them on my newest Charley Snell saddle. It came with 5" Monels and I like them so well I can't change. The Crooked Stirrups are all 3" the last time I checked. They need more models including a breakaway stirrup.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/16/12
Am I correct? The inside of the stirrup closest to the horse needs to be higher than the outside.

Go to the Crooked Stirrup website and all they will say is that no other stirrups work as good as thiers ( of course).

I have done quite a few miles in ox bow stirrups and they were worse yet than flat bottomed ones.I know a lot of cowboys and buckaroos use them ,but think it might be more traditional rather than function.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/16/12
Vince-
I think oxbows could approximate crookeds by setting one's foot toward the inside of the curve. Setting to the outside would compound the discomfort of regular stirrups.
No, I don't think oxbows can approximate the affect. And most of us are not used to having our heel jammed against the stirrups as you need to do with oxbows. Oxbows are fine for 18-year-olds riding colts, but if you're over 40, or in my case, pushing 60, you need a better base for your foot and better weight distribution. Along these lines, I've quit wearing boots with leather soles. Too slick and too hard. I have a new pair of 16" Hondos with leather soles but the local cobbler put on a rubber overlay for only $20. Y'all are invited any time to stop by, ride my Charley Snell saddle and try my Crooked Stirrups. The wife would probably even make a pie and invite you in for coffee.
Posted By: Robster Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/16/12
I tried oxbows once, and my feet hurt and I couldn't wait to get them off
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/17/12
i only ride oxbows. the solution is to quit putting weight into your stirrups and ride off your seat.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/17/12
I can't agree with that. Where/how I ride there is no way to ride sitting in a rocking chair. smile If you have no weight in your stirrups, you will lose your seat.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/17/12
If you ride off your seat, you are using the saddle as a chair, not what it is intended for. One jump side ways, spin or whatever,and you come out of the saddle. With equal,balanced weight in the stirrups, not only do you cushion your ride,but any unexpected movement of the equine can be countered quite easily.

Sitting in the saddle leads to cincha galls and sore backs on equines.When you ride a horse or mule,you should be part of a team and help your partner out when possible. When you just sit in the saddle you are just a passenger.

I won't even get into what happens when you have to take a dally when hooked onto some rough stock.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/18/12
Well put, Vince!
That's what I was trying to say.
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/18/12
Theres no reason to have weight in your stirrups unless you're lappin and tappin. The reason so many people cant ride is because of flat bottom stirrups. The best way to help a horse is get out of his way. Being able to sit a horse is one of the best ways to stay out of his way.
[Linked Image]

One of the greastest cowboys to ever throw a leg over a horse. no weight in his stirrups.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/18/12
I never figured the horn was a handle like cutters and barrel racers use it for. Take that horn off and see how long he sits in the saddle.

What do you do when your hands are busy with other things rather than holding onto the horn?

I invite anyone to come ride one of my young mules and stay aboard when it spins that 180 in half a second when holding onto a horn.
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/18/12
Or not use your stirrups while posting a trot for 20 miles through my badlands.

BTW, if you look at the old cutting photos from the 50s and 60s holding onto the horn was not allowed. I bet even Buster had a little weight in his stirrups then.
Posted By: Dan_H Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/18/12
Wonder how that aluminum is when it gets wet? Looks they have a size for the xtra tuf cowboy boots that are popular up here.
The only reason he's holding the horn is too keep from using his hands. to suggest Buster couldn't sit a horse without holding the horn just reminds me how silly i was to enter a conversation about the merits of flat bottom stirrups; my mistake. if you want to look like you're having a seizure by riding with weight in your stirrups, by all means carry on. i guess if you cant ride off your seat you can always stand in your stirrups.
no he didn't. That was the difference between Buster and Shorty. That was also why Matlock could never quite measure up to Buster as a trainer. Matlock wouldn't quit riding with two hands becuause he wanted to que his horse.
Originally Posted by RichardAustin
[Linked Image]
One of the greastest cowboys to ever throw a leg over a horse. no weight in his stirrups.

Why do you say he has no weight in the stirrups?
because if he rode with his weight in his stirrups he'd be wrapped around that horse's neck.
what am I missing?
Could you make your answers more complete? I'm really trying to see your point.
i'll give it an honest try.
if your feet/stirrups are sitting below you with your weight in them bracing, a hard stop will use the force like a pendalum and push you forward up and out of the seat. if you're "sitting" by tucking your butt underneath yourself, you melt into the horse with the stop and are riding him thru it instead of getting in his way.
someone mentioned they couldn't trot a horse without standing in their stirrups. if you have a seat and post to the inside leg not only will you be much more comfortable and less tired end of a long day, when those wild ones get to spinning in 1/2 a second you'll still be seated.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/18/12
quote form Richard Austin "The only reason he's holding the horn is too keep from using his hands."

Watch those cutters and you can see them stressing thier arms while holding on.They brace each time the horse changes direction. They remind me of these buckle bunnies that are barrle racing.I'm not saying those old guys could not ride, but they are not the only ones to ever sit a saddle.

As I mentioned, what do you do when you need your hands for other things? Your legs, feet and butt are for riding,your hands are for doing the things on horseback that you need to do.

Most of the members who post on this thread and forum spend hours in the saddle.1/2 of them are working ranchers.We don't climb on a horse and ride it for twenty minutes or just do arena riding.
I'm not a Sunday rider, and I have been riding for almost 60 years, breeding, training and riding mules for almost 45 years. So when someone comes along and says no that's is all wrong,I sure get suspecious.

Maybe there are certain disciplines than can use a different stirrup. However, for general rough country riding and puttting lots'a miles on every day. The flat bottoms tirrup and cocking that stirrup like the crooked stirrup can serve the biggest majority quite well. I don't know about the crooked stirrup because I have never tride them,butI have tried Ox bows and at the endof the day you are hurting.
quote form Richard Austin "The only reason he's holding the horn is too keep from using his hands."

What a crock. Watch those cutters and you can see them stressing thier arms while holding on.They brace ecah time the horse changes direction.

As I mentioned, what do you do when you need your hands for other things?

If you want to have a conversation,fine,just stop blowing smoke. Most of the members who post on this thread and forum spend hours in the saddle.1/2 of them are working ranchers.We don't climb on a horse and ride it for twenty minutes or just do arena riding.

first off, thats not cutters i'm taking about, that's Buster Welch. second thing is, theres plenty of people who don't do things the best it can be done. by your logic, if i also own a gun that would make me a complete authority on that as well. i've got a pair of chaps in the tack room with over 1/2 dozen of the largest and likely most famous ranches phone number written on the inside in case i left them behind somewhere, again by your logic that likely makes me the most complete expert that ever walked... starting to see the fault of your logic? back to topic. its fine with me if you cant sit a horse or mule. just because you've found a way to keep your hapless ass mounted doesn't mean squat. Buster knew more about horses by age 18 than you'll know in two lifetimes, and with what you've said i wouldn't let you teach my mule to kick. i'll take Buster's advice over yours or anybody elses. you want a crock or smoke you just look in the mirror.
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/18/12
There's no doubt that many people ride with too much weight in their stirrups. That's a common mistake. I grew up riding in both saddles and riding bareback and learned to apply bareback techniques to saddle riding. But to imply that the type of stirrup makes no difference to foot comfort .... no, I'm not going to buy that. And, there are relative differences to the amount of weight in the stirrup. Different situations will dictate that.
if your feet/stirrups are sitting below you with your weight in them bracing, a hard stop will use the force like a pendalum and push you forward up and out of the seat. if you're "sitting" by tucking your butt underneath yourself, you melt into the horse with the stop and are riding him thru it instead of getting in his way.
someone mentioned they couldn't trot a horse without standing in their stirrups. if you have a seat and post to the inside leg not only will you be much more comfortable and less tired end of a long day, when those wild ones get to spinning in 1/2 a second you'll still be seated.

OK. I understand that.

I'm not and don't advocate *all* one's weight in the stirrups (generally) nor do I believe any of the "stirrup-weighted" guys are advocating that. I balance my weight between stirrups and seat. For my riding, and while pulling a pack string into camp or hunting, having no weight in the stirrups, I see as a disaster waiting to happen.

In the pic you put up, Buster has his feet in the stirrups. If he had no weight in them, every time the horse changed direction, he would be out of balance laterally.

Every situation changes the weight distribution. ever see comp trail riders or endurance riders? They are standing in the stirrups most/all the way.

while we will disagree, I appreciate your response.
Originally Posted by mtrancher
There's no doubt that many people ride with too much weight in their stirrups. That's a common mistake.

Interesting. It seems to me, novice riders ride with too little weight in the stirrups, seemingly thinking that they are in a chair on the horse's back.

Heck, there was a time I would take field jumps bareback. As you might imagine, those days are long over!
As to cutters, regardless of their name and I'm not one, my understanding is that a cutting competition is a test of the horse rather than the rider like reining would be (although one can't do that with an untrained hoss).

Is it not true that a cutting competitor is expressly NOT ALLOWED to touch the reins once a steer is cut from the herd until it is released or time runs out?
Posted By: Robster Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/18/12
I was told this rule of thumb:
If your knees hurt, your stirrups are too short and your putting too much weight in the stirrups.

If your butt hurts your stirrups are too long and your not putting enough weight in your stirrups.

If everything hurts equally..........your doing it right grin grin grin
No, you do hold the reins in one hand only, no visible ques while holding your cut, but you got to get one cut from the heard. A showman will hold his reins pretty high making a cut to let the judges know he hasen't dropped his hands yet, and you really don't want to drop your hand/reins until only one cow remains in front of you. The jockey has a bunch to do with how a horse gets marked. Don't believe all that bluster about having to hold the horn, you can't get one trained without using two hands. you got to be there to help those babies usually well into their 4 year old year.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
As an aside comment, we who vist this particular forum try to keep our threads civil. If one can't do that I suggest he go elsewhere.

Our family, myself included have enough ribbons, cups and checks in our history to back up our claims. These include about every show class there is in arenas and hundreds, if not thousands of miles pulling pack strings. I don''t live vicariously thru someone else.The mules I have rasied and trained are use all over CO and a few other states.Some have been in the Al Kaly mule train of the Shriners based here in Colorado Springs

I might not do everything the very best way,but I have done it enough to known what works and what does not.

A person is not going to be jumping over big logs, packing an elk out of some hell hole,or riding down steep grades ,etc by just sitting in the saddle using his seat.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
As I'm sure you know, training is considerably different than competition...in all disciplines.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
I sure hate to see some get so lathered up over someone's seat in a saddle.

We gathered/sorted calves the last two days for a cutting in town. Close to 700 of them. They lease the calves every year. I rode with my seat, my stirrups, legs, torso, and brain. The funny thing is near as I can tell what we did to get these calves ready has almost no comparison to how they ride at the cuttings.

Most of those cutters couldn't ride outside of the arena. I'm not knocking them but cutting, rodoes, and most of the other events have become so specialized they bear little resemblence to riding in the outside world.

I've never tried the crooked stirrups. I ride 5'' bells. I get lots of support and good grip. And I couldn't force my boot all the way through if I wanted.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
The only reason he's holding the horn is too keep from using his hands.

Keep from using his hands to do what?
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
As an aside comment, we who vist this particular forum try to keep our threads civil. If one can't do that I suggest he go elsewhere.

Our family, myself included have enough ribbons, cups and checks in our history to back up our claims. These include about every show class there is in arenas and hundreds, if not thousands of miles pulling pack strings. I don''t live vicariously thru someone else.The mules I have rasied and trained are use all over CO and a few other states.Some have been in the Al Kaly mule train of the Shriners based here in Colorado Springs

I might not do everything the very best way,but I have done it enough to known what works and what does not.

A person is not going to be jumping over big logs, packing an elk out of some hell hole,or riding down steep grades ,etc by just sitting in the saddle using his seat.

I didn't think you'd beat to mentioning your family rasied a jackass, but sure enough you came right out with it. Tell your mother she has my sympathy. I guess lookin at life thru the eyes of a jackass suits your poor simple self since you arn't capable of distinguishing between admiration for someone who made a big contribution or to live vicariously thru someone. I can count among the horses I've rode two World Champions. Is that ribbon big enough for you? The fact that you haven't figured out how to ride off your seat doesn't bother me, i could care less how big of fool you are. But if i offer the same advice people payed me money to get for free and have to listen to your noise and nancyboy oh don't say anything back to me, well, i don't mind telling what a fool you are. Anyway, i'd think you'd be use to it by now.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
whoa......
Posted By: cattle_auctioneer Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
I show cutting horses, I work at a sale barn, and feedlot. Some of my saddles have oxbows and some have flat stirrups. I ride considerably different in a show pen than I do in an alley sorting off calves.

I would hate to think that my stirrups or saddle is what makes me to ride correctly.
Some folks are best put on ignore as arguing with a fool,only brings one down to wondering who the fool really is.

I apologize to the other folks who are contributing to this thread.
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
Greetings auctioneer, I don't think most of us would think that the stirrups or saddle influences whether one rides correctly but it certainly influences whether one rides comfortably.
Posted By: cattle_auctioneer Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
Thanks for the greetings, I agree with flat stirrups being more comfortable. I hope I didn't come off wrong and I really hope saddlesore didn't mean he was putting me on ignore. Apologies if I offended anyone as it was not my intent.

I also really like those deep seated cutting saddles that everyone is making now, or a good wade tree. It sure makes for a better day in the saddle.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
Originally Posted by cattle_auctioneer
Thanks for the greetings, I agree with flat stirrups being more comfortable. I hope I didn't come off wrong and I really hope saddlesore didn't mean he was putting me on ignore. Apologies if I offended anyone as it was not my intent.

I also really like those deep seated cutting saddles that everyone is making now, or a good wade tree. It sure makes for a better day in the saddle.

I don't believe it was directed at you.
Cattle Auctioneer, My post was definitely not meant for you. Welcome to the forum. We generally try to keep it civil here as opposed to other threads on other forums,but this got out of hand a little. Seems someone new got here and felt he needed to do some name calling.

I am presently trying to modify my STI Breakaway Stirrups by adding wedge on the tread at 15 degrees.

I put a rubber pad on top of the wedge,imbedded into the wood,which is maple.
I attached them with duct tape to see if it would work and took a short loop around the pasture today,the snow was fairly deep,but it felt pretty good.I might just glue the wedges in for awhile.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
Vince-
I hope you are taking pics and will report back.
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12

I didn't think you'd beat to mentioning your family rasied a jackass, but sure enough you came right out with it. Tell your mother she has my sympathy. I guess lookin at life thru the eyes of a jackass suits your poor simple self since you arn't capable of distinguishing between admiration for someone who made a big contribution or to live vicariously thru someone. I can count among the horses I've rode two World Champions. Is that ribbon big enough for you? The fact that you haven't figured out how to ride off your seat doesn't bother me, i could care less how big of fool you are. But if i offer the same advice people payed me money to get for free and have to listen to your noise and nancyboy oh don't say anything back to me, well, i don't mind telling what a fool you are. Anyway, i'd think you'd be use to it by now.

Maroon
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
Cattle Auctioneer, My post was definitely not meant for you. Welcome to the forum. We generally try to keep it civil here as opposed to other threads on other forums,but this got out of hand a little. Seems someone new got here and felt he needed to do some name calling.

I am presently trying to modify my STI Breakaway Stirrups by adding wedge on the tread at 15 degrees.

I attached them with duct tape to see if it would work and took a short loop around the pasture today,the snow was fairly deep,but it felt pretty good.I might just glue the wedges in for awhile.

I for one am interested in your experiment. I think I know the problem you are trying to solve.
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/19/12
SS, you're doing basically what my friend Charley does to get an effect similar to a Crooked Stirrup.
Glad to have you on board, auctioneer. In the case any bull comes through the ring we might need your services.

Afraid I'm going to have to point out a problem with that. I did not talk crap and then go back and try to hide it. It speaks of you character that you make comments, get a direct response to them, and then pretend to act as if they didn't exisit. I suspect that behavior is so imbedded in you - you think it goes without notice. I guess playing the rightous victim by attempts of deceit comes more naturally to you than just maning up to what you've said.
Reread what you said as quoted by me, and then what you changed it to. Now see if you can figure out whos a crock.
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Maroon

feeling lonely or seeing colors?
Posted By: ironbender Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/20/12
I think it's best if rudeness is just ignored in this forum.

This ain't optics. wink
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/20/12
Some folks are best put on ignore as arguing with a fool,only brings one down to wondering who the fool really is.

I apologize to the other folks who are contributing to this thread.

+1
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/20/12
Originally Posted by toltecgriz

Maroon

feeling lonely or seeing colors?

If you stick around long enough, you'll figure it out. If not, you won't be missed, considering your entrance.
Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/20/12
how can i figure it out, i don't know if you think maroon is a lovely color or you are stranded somewhere.

Posted By: RichardAustin Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/20/12
Originally Posted by ironbender
I think it's best if rudeness is just ignored in this forum.

This ain't optics. wink

you're right and i should have ignored his crock and blowing smoke comments. i think when you get that treatment on something you're a bit passionate about you (or me i should say), i didn't react well. my apologies to you.
Posted By: Maarty Re: Crooked Stirrups - 02/22/12
There goes the neighborhood.
Posted By: azrancher Re: Crooked Stirrups - 03/03/12
I have been dissatisfied with stirrups since i first got on a horse.I tell people i don't remember learning to ride but i remember learning to walk when i fell off my horse and had to walk home. I wear a 11 1/2 ee and when you add a double stitched welt or a white's packer it really gets wide. I have tried about everything made. Stirrups over 2 1/2 wide cause the outside ball of my foot to burn.[maybe to much stirrup pressure] They are also easier to lose. My Dad was a natural bronc rider and i inherited none of that, if one humps up and passes gas i fall off. I have broke a lot of colts and finally gravitated to a 1 inch flat bottomed iron ring. If you point your toes down it takes a lot of action before you lose a stirrup. You guys are right in that it takes a hell of a boot to ride those rings or oxbows. I broke both shanks in a pair of double soled high topped riding heeled Tony Lama's riding those rings.
I usually ride with bulldog taps when working on the ranch and hunting and at one time used 1 inch overshoe oxbows.
I won the state high school finals cutting 2 years in a row but i'm not a cutter. Dad's friend was and put me on his turnback horse.
I have team roped a lot and for a few years tripped steers.[just about the most fun you can have with your clothes on]
In the steer roping most guys rode 4 inch deep ropers but i learned from a couple guys that had bad ankles and had to wear whites for the support that a 2 inch deep roper is actually easier to get away from when stepping off.
Along came the crooked stirrups and i thought they were baloney till i rode some. Like mtrancher i thought they only came in 3 inch. Then i found S.A. Walls and i have settled on what he calls his 2 inch cowhorse Stirrup. They are much easier to hold . I rope in them ranch in them ride colts and put them in my taps.[i also ride with my foot all the way in to the heel] They never burn my feet or put all that pressure on the ankle bone and make it sore. I love them and have them on all my saddles even though i don't like the looks of them. They also will turn your boots black where they rub.
I will also offer this caveat: this is my experience and i don't expect many folks to have the same results.

Fred
Posted By: Ladymulerider Re: Crooked Stirrups - 03/12/12
Been away for a while, and have a friend I am trying to see her way through what may be a cancer diagnosis.

So I apologize to Vince. He can cover the ground he stand on without my help, but I just want to say we have ridden with the man, and he is no drug store Saturday night special. He is the real deal, and does not deserve rude treatment. Opinions are like some parts of the body, it's nice to have one, brag on it if you want to, but hold off on shoving it around, would ya? And I am a lady, and that is as rude as I choose to be. Thank you Vince for showing what class is in the face of indignities.

I have also had that tingling on the outer toe after 10 hours or so pushing cows, and that little slant you are working on might be real handy... I may retrofit my STI's if you have good luck.
Posted By: Dan_H Re: Crooked Stirrups - 05/17/12
Tried a pair of the endurance stirrups with the wedge to give them the slant feature.

Knees feel much better after a ride and my little toes are not tingling.

May just have to bit the bullet and order me a set.
Posted By: Just a Hunter Re: Crooked Stirrups - 05/17/12

This does make sense. I was taught to put pressure on the stirrups and when the horse comes to a fast stop I am up on his neck. Or at least pushing on it with my hand. I figured I was doing something wrong, but couldn't figure it out since I was doing what I was told. I don't consider myself any great shakes at riding though.

I do recall however, being fairly relaxed while riding so sitting more in the saddle having young horse jump one way or the other from some imagined danger and being able to stay in the saddle fairly easily.

On another note I think I wouold like to try those crooked stirrup now that my knees are getting bad.
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 05/17/12
I modified my stirrups with a wedge at 15 degree.Turns out my right leg is bent along with my foot and my left leg isn't. The wedge on the left works great.Not so much with the right leg. So now I got one of each.

You can take apiece of birch or maple and cut the wedge and then shape the bottom to fit the stirrup and glue it in with Gorrila Glue.Then if it doesn't work,it isn't too hard to get off .
I ride with STI Break Away stirrups so I could not buy a crooked stirrup.

Doesn't look to" Cowboyish" but I already had $300 tied up in the breakaways and this worked dandy.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Robster Re: Crooked Stirrups - 05/18/12
Well made Saddlsore!!! You did a great job.
Posted By: Ralphie Re: Crooked Stirrups - 05/18/12
Saddlesore,

So that is your left stirrup and we are looking at the back of it?
Posted By: saddlesore Re: Crooked Stirrups - 05/18/12
Ralphie.
Yes, left stirrup. I guess the theory is that when you ride,your feet go out some and create a level surface.

Beats the heck out of me,but it works.

The STI break away stirrup has a latching mechanism on top that is remov ed forn this photo. A stud on each side projects into the top of the stirrup and releases if the stirrup goes too far an angle forward or back.
Posted By: okie Re: Crooked Stirrups - 05/20/12
I modified my stirrups with a wedge at 15 degree.Turns out my right leg is bent along with my foot and my left leg isn't. The wedge on the left works great.Not so much with the right leg. So now I got one of each.

You can take apiece of birch or maple and cut the wedge and then shape the bottom to fit the stirrup and glue it in with Gorrila Glue.Then if it doesn't work,it isn't too hard to get off .
I ride with STI Break Away stirrups so I could not buy a crooked stirrup.

Doesn't look to" Cowboyish" but I already had $300 tied up in the breakaways and this worked dandy.

[Linked Image]

Kinda think it may work... I've used oxbows for years for young stuff and they do help with my bad left leg but I ain't as young as I used to be. may try something like that soon...
© 24hourcampfire