Home
Posted By: quackaddict Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
I need some input on the King Quads. Specifically the 500s and the 750s. I went and looked at them today and was really surprised. I liked them. Good ground clearance, price, rack capacity, and 0% financing. Gimme the good and the bad if you have any of either. I'm not sold on the power steering yet, but the 500 w/ EPS is basically the same price as the 750 without EPS. I'll be using it for light farm work and hunting in the mountains in NM.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
i really haven't heard anything but good, and have looked at them myself, I would avoid the EPS, in my opinion just more to break
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
That's kind of how I felt about the EPS.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
I'd get the EPS in a heart beat, and IMO, Suzuki is only bested by Honda in quality, fit and finish, but you get a lot more bang for your buck with Suzuki. I had a 2007 King Quad 700, but sold it when we bought a side-by-side. I now have a Suzuki Eiger 400 (Dad has one also). Excellent machines!
Posted By: Manic_Hunter Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
I wouldn't worry about the eps. If the japs built it it will work right.
Avoid polaris.

Posted By: RS308MX Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
FWIW, I have a 2005 Eiger and love it. It's a hard worker and fun to ride. I haven't dragged a deer in 7 years!
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
I don't know about the bigger ones, only have experience with the 400 Eigers. Have a 2006 which rolled out of our boat -into the ocean- when it broke free from its mooring and swamped. I found the Eiger floating upside down a short distance away. I've had to replace many of the electrical components which aren't directly part of the engine itself due to saltwater corrosion. Other than that, it still runs and has a pile of miles on it. A second 400, a 2009, has only 12,000 miles and is in need of a second engine rebuild. That machine has not been hardy enough to withstand the abuse of two different boyfriends of our daughter. The first rebuild was gratis under Suzuki warranty at less than 1300 miles.

I have first-hand experience with Honda, Suzuki, and Yamaha machines. All of them make good machines. I can't speak for the EPS on the Suzuki, but am very impressed with how well it works on our newest machine, a Yamaha 450. We have put less that 10,000 miles on it in nearly two years we have had it and the EPS is a great thing. At worst, you're stuck with a manual steering system if the EPS fails. But ours has worked in every month and weather we have during the year - that includes 20 and 30 below zero temps (F).

I would not own Polaris or Arctic Cat machines as ATVs are concerned (but have put some significant miles, well beyond 50,000, on Polaris snow machines, somewhat fewer on AC.)
Posted By: kecatt Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
I had a 2001 Quadrunner 500 4x4. It was a fantastic piece of equipment. I used it for work, not play. It went places and did things I probably should have walked. I only got rid of it because I wanted to upgrade to IFS as I run a survey grade GPS mount and wanted a smoother ride for my electronics.
I looked for Suzukis and Arctic Cats (with Suzuki engines) and bought an AC 500 4x4 IFS. It has been as good if not better than the Quadrunner with the bonus of a way smoother ride.
I wouldn't be afraid of the newer King Quads at all.
I appreciate all the info guys. Me and the wife had been taking about getting one in the next year or two and just decided to go look at them today. With Suzuki running a 0% financing deal, the wife was all about getting one soon...who am I to say no? laugh
Posted By: chap Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
I've been a Honda man forever. Not anymore. I switched to a King Quad 750 with the EPS last September and I wish I had switched years ago. The only thing you will need to do is upgrade the tires. Most everyone I know upgrades to the Maxxis Bighorn 2.0. You will absolutely want the power steering. Suzuki's quality is right there with Yamaha and Honda.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
[Linked Image]

EPS is good stuff. I didn't even realize how simple it was to rumble across a couple of these patches until we had already gotten across.
Posted By: senior Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
The only guys not wanting power steering are the guys that have never had it. Those that have it would never again purchase an atv without wink
Posted By: KentuckyMountainMan Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
I buy and sell ATVs in my spare Time, I have owned them all, I Think Suzuki,s are one of the best ATVs made, parts are cheap and Drive Trains are just about bullet proof. The 750 King Quad is my favorite of them all, Lots of power, ride is great. Do get the power Steering, and save your Arms.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/04/13
I have a 2008, like it, came with EFI and IRS, both which I wanted. It does not fit well in the back of a standard short box (6.5') pickup.

longer wheelbase may make it little less squirrely at higher speeds.

Expect to lose thousands of dollars in value in first few years.

ie if you are handy with tools, and have some time, buy a used one.

Sycamore
Ok, so the next question...750 or 500? I think I've read/heard enough that the EPS is worth the extra money. The 750 and 500 are physically the same size, but is the 500 big enough for that body?
Posted By: remfak Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/05/13
I bought my first ATV with EPS two months ago and I will never go back!!! Get it, and you won't regret it. If you don't get it, don't ride one later that has it as you will certainly be pissed for passing on it.

All of my ATV's have been 500-550's and have motored up some steep stuff. I've considered going 750 but have passed it up as more of a machismo thing. If you want it, get it, but I certainly doubt you'll need it.

I'd go 500 EPS all the way!
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/05/13
I've never driven one over a 450, and I used to do some pretty decent work with a Honda Recon. I've know what a 250, 300, 350, and 400 will do. I'm wondering if I'd wish I had the extra ass of the 750 when I'm up above 7500 feet(hopefully with the racks full of elk meat).
Posted By: remfak Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/05/13
I had my 550 up to 13200 last weekend and it was no issue at all.
Posted By: toad Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/05/13
i'd get the 750 every time. it's like buying a truck with a V8 instead of a 6 cylinder.
Posted By: senior Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/05/13
The extra power is always something that you could do with-out! But how many of us here would look for a car or truck with the smallest motor. I could easily live with a 350 or so size machine, & I do a lot of heavy pulling & work with mine, BUT there's times I just like to squeeze the throttle a little more & not have the machine complain about it wink smile
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/05/13
EFI should really help with altitude issues. 300-450 cc machines can pull all or most of an unboned moose on sleds across tundra near sea level. A rack-loaded ATV would be a piece of cake (as long as you can keep it upright!) You don't need gobs of ccs.

A bigger engine (and machine) means more weight. I would not compare an ATV to a truck because the use and expectation is quite different. Big or small, you're going to break the wheels loose from time to time with either of them. The bigger engine will mean more speed and quicker acceleration. But even a 400-500 will easily make 45-50 mph. More HP can be more fun, but it can also make a machine a bit more challenging to control. Roll-over injuries have increased as machines have gotten bigger. More people are getting pinned or crushed and killed as machines have gotten heavier as well. The biggest engines might be what you want, but there are pros and cons either way.
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/05/13
Thanks for all the input everyone. We'll see what kind of deals the dealer is willing to work with me.
Posted By: WyoCowboy Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by quackaddict
I appreciate all the info guys. Me and the wife had been taking about getting one in the next year or two and just decided to go look at them today. With Suzuki running a 0% financing deal, the wife was all about getting one soon...who am I to say no? laugh

there is some problem with your logic, you say "Me and the wife had been taking about getting one", you better budget for two. my folks bought one, my dad wouldn't let my mom drive so she went down and bought here own, with that came a bigger trailer, my folks both just shy of 60 put close to 2000 miles there fist season on there machines, and my mother is a dare devil and only knows two throttle positions. Nothing is scarier than a 57 year old lady running down a dirt road at 70 mph giggling like a little girl.
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/06/13
She mainly wants one to move some hay bales here and there, and so we can get a pull behind mower so i can keep her pasture mowed.
Posted By: duck911 Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/06/13
I have a 2011 KingQuad 400ASI...

It's my first ATV. After much research, I bought it, in part, for the following reasons (not necessarily in order):

1) 0% APR and because it was "last year's model" on the floor I got a screaming deal (payments well under $100/mo with no money down) plus a helmet, winch, etc thrown in.

2) I have a number of friends with ATV's. A few recommended the Kingquad. All steered me away from the CanAM and Polaris. It was between a Honda and a Suzuki, for me based on my research.

3) I went with the 400: Price was a consideration. But, I also use the quad for hunting, scouting, and getting into back country, not hot rodding. My lighter, smaller quad has not bogged down in mud holes where my buddies' quads have. It's light enough that I can pick up the rear end and rotate it 180 degrees on the trail if I need to, yet carries a hell of a load and is faster than I will ever drive it on a trail. I carry *days* worth of food, water, and fuel, plus tools, fire starting kit, water purification, firearm(s), camping gear, etc, etc - and that's on the REAR (aftermarket) rack.

What I DON'T like:

1) No pull start and being an automatic, no push start. So, I carry a spare battery as well when in the back country alone.

That's literally my only complaint.

--Duck911

Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/06/13
I've got a Grizzly 660 I bought used with low miles. I use it to plow and have skidded some logs (not large ones). For towing and other jobs requiring brute force I have no experience but I know my ATV loses traction before not having enough power is an issue. Unless I'm missing something I honestly believe the 500 size ATVs will do about anything the larger ones will do since the weight difference is less than 40 pounds between the 500 size and the 700(+) rigs.
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by duck911

It's my first ATV. After much research, I bought it, in part, for the following reasons (not necessarily in order):

1) 0% APR and because it was "last year's model" on the floor I got a screaming deal (payments well under $100/mo with no money down) plus a helmet, winch, etc thrown in.

2) I have a number of friends with ATV's. A few recommended the Kingquad. All steered me away from the CanAM and Polaris. It was between a Honda and a Suzuki, for me based on my research.

3) I went with the 400: Price was a consideration. But, I also use the quad for hunting, scouting, and getting into back country, not hot rodding. My lighter, smaller quad has not bogged down in mud holes where my buddies' quads have. It's light enough that I can pick up the rear end and rotate it 180 degrees on the trail if I need to, yet carries a hell of a load and is faster than I will ever drive it on a trail. I carry *days* worth of food, water, and fuel, plus tools, fire starting kit, water purification, firearm(s), camping gear, etc, etc - and that's on the REAR (aftermarket) rack.

What I DON'T like:

1) No pull start and being an automatic, no push start. So, I carry a spare battery as well when in the back country alone.

--Duck911

Duck, thanks for that reply. That actually is exactly what I was HOPING to hear and you're kind of helping twist my arm to the 400. Like you said, you can add a lot of stuff and still be under the price on the 500(winch, tires, rack, whatever). I used to think that the 400s and 450s were awesome back when I had my 250, so I'm not sure why I feel the need for a 500 or bigger now. Thanks again for the response.

I'm assuming that you're a duck hunter, hence the name and the lab in the picture...if you ever want to head south(or meet in the middle) and get together for a duck hunt, let me know.
Posted By: mcmurphrjk Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/06/13
I've owned them all. Get the mid size. 400-450 class. much easier to handle, and I have never run out of power.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/06/13
Originally Posted by duck911

What I DON'T like:

--Duck911

Trust me, you don't want to pull a Suzuki 400; BTDT, screwed my back over good. I purposely just went without on the new 450 Yamaha we have. Just keep the electric start in good order and all is good.

[Linked Image]

This was one of the biggest moose I've worked on. We hauled it out with a Honda Foreman with sled and a 400 Eiger (Suzuki).

[Linked Image]

This rig is hauling and pulling an entire moose of a smaller size. (It's a 450 Grizzly).

I've done a pretty fair quantity of hunting and hauling with even a 2x Honda 300. The weight and being able to yank them around has definite benefits. (I do like 4X traction however, even at the expense in weight.)
Posted By: toad Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/06/13
the weight difference between the 750 and 500 is eleven pounds.

my first atv was a Suzuki 250 Quadrunner. great little atv, but more like a tiny tractor than atv. when I upgraded I went with a Kawasaki for the V-Twin. I bought the 650i instead of the 750 for the same reasons some here are recommending the 500. I thought smaller engine would be easier to handle. come to find out, on this particular model, they bumped up the compression and upgraded the carbs so the 650i is within one horsepower of the 750. I have never wished for less power.

I've ridden this machine double with my wife on many of the toughest trails in Moab without mishap. power management is not a tough skill to master.

this is the spur to the Colorado River overlook from the Hell's Revenge trail. you'll notice the two KingQuads flanking me. the Suzuki KingQuad is very popular there.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/06/13
I also owned a 250 Suzuki back in the late 80's and even though I never had any mechanical problems with it but the suspension was a total pos. Basically, the tires were the suspension. Quads have come a long ways since those days.

Since Honda doesn't want to step up with their Foremans with IRS, my next quad will be either a Suzuki King Quad or a Yamaha Grizzly with EPS.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/07/13
They are USA made if that is imporant. They have a factory just a few miles from home.

http://www.atv.com/news/suzuki-plant-celebrates-milestone-738.html

I have a Honda bought used at a steal, but the Suzuki factory donated one of the 750's to the SAR team I volunteer with. We've had it a couple of years and used it hard on several searches. If I were looking to by new, I'd look hard at the Suzuki myself.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/08/13
Just like Hondas, they are assembled in the US from parts and assemblies manufactured in Japan.
Posted By: tzone Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/11/13
That's kind of how I felt about the EPS.

Drive one with EPS and get back to me.

I'd never buy one again without it.

The Suzuki KQ's are great bikes. I enjoyed mine a ton but had to sell it to buy diapers instead.
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/21/13
Well did all the paperwork tonight for a 500 w/ EPS. Going to pick it up tomorrow evening and head up to the mts with it this weekend. Was hoping to get a deal on a winch with the thing, but they wanted me to pay $600 for a warn...that aint happening. Thanks for all the info guys...next thing to look for is tires. I've read that these stock tires kind of suck.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/21/13
Was hoping to get a deal on a winch with the thing, but they wanted me to pay $600 for a warn...that aint happening.

'Twas the gleam in your eye that gave away the need not to give you a break. wink (Sometimes it's hard not to smile, ain't it?)
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/21/13
Haha...maybe. I'm more of a scowler when I'm spending money though. I was going to walk out of there without one, but my finance manager(wife) actually talked me into it. Of course I probably pissed them off when I told them that I could get a 2k lb Superwinch for $200, so there was no way that I was paying 3 times that for a Warn.
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/21/13
You can find 3000lb Warn winches online for around $350 with the synthetic winch rope. The rope is the best way to go IMO and is all I use anymore. Congrats on the new wheeler too!!
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/22/13
Nothing wrong with Superwinch and they are really great folks. I think I would like the winch rope instead of the wire.
ALWAYS get more winch than you think you'll need, way more. When you do need it, you'll be glad.
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/22/13
I couldn't imagine that I would need more than a 2k or 2.5klb winch when the 4 wheeler weighs less than 700lbs.

Speaking of Superwinches, I just looked at the dealers website and looked through their winches. They carry Superwinches and Mile Markers too. Both would have cost less than $300. When I told them that I was going to go with one of those two brands because they are so much cheaper, they never even mentioned that they carried them. Kind of rubs me the wrong way. Also found out yesterday when I picked up the 4 wheeler that they charge $190 for the first service. Seems awfully high to me.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/23/13
are you going to trailer it, or load it in your pickup? short bed or long bed?

Sycamore
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/23/13
Trailer. I got a 5x8 from TSC and she fills it up pretty good.
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/24/13
They're pretty much pre-wired for a winch. Save your money buying from the dealer and shop online and install one yourself.....it's a piece of cake. And there's no flies on Mile-Marker or Superwinch.

Also, get yourself a "winch kit" with a snatch block, clevices, tree straps, another 50' section of rope/cable, etc. and keep it with you. Your machine may only weigh 700 lbs (dry)., but deep sticky mud or a snow bank and a high centered machine will push a 2k - 2.5k winch to the max in a hurry. I'd also suggest looking at a receiver mounted winch with receivers front and rear.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/24/13
Trailer. I got a 5x8 from TSC and she fills it up pretty good.

good to go. they are too snug in a short bed.

Sycamore
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/26/13
Thanks for the input Waputi. I've kind of kicked the receiver mounted hitch idea around a bit.

I spent the weekend riding her in the Gila, and these things ride/drive like a Cadillac. My biggest, and really only complaint so far is the rack size. Suzuki needs to put some seriously larger racks on these things. I might modify them by adding a little bit of angle iron to make them cover more fender.
Posted By: senior Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/27/13
I couldn't imagine that I would need more than a 2k or 2.5klb winch when the 4 wheeler weighs less than 700lbs.

I wouldn't go less than a 2.5
Winches are rated pulling a load on rollers up a 30%? grade. crazy
In real life I've been stuck in the mud & a 2,000lb Warn wouldn't budge it!
I snatch block is easy to carry & doubles your pulling power.
Posted By: CoalCracker Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/27/13
Also, my understanding is that the rating applies to the winch with only the first wrap of rope on the drum. As successive layers of rope are added to the drum, the winch's ability to pull decreases.

Adding layers of rope to the drum is similar to increasing the gear ratio of a rear differential. The higher the ratio, the less power....
Posted By: quackaddict Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/27/13
Gotcha. Thanks guys. Just got off the phone with the stealership for my 100mi service...$190 PLUS PARTS! Good grief. The dealership that's about an hour away only charges $125 for folks that DIDN'T buy the ATV from them. I don't really have any other option though. I'm at 100 miles and I leave Saturday morning for my elk hunt. No way I can get to the cheaper dealership this week since I work an hour away from home in a different direction.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Suzuki ATVs - 08/28/13
Change the oil yourself and take it in wherever you please when it's convenient. It's not like they're going to do a whole lot more than that; perhaps check air pressure in tires, listen to valves and pronounce them still alright, check for any obvious loose items.

These machines don't exactly get all loose during break-in. As long as you aren't smoking the motor, you really have nothing huge to worry about. Look it over yourself, keep your ear tuned to any changes in sound. It's stacked in your favor. Don't worry.
© 24hourcampfire