Home
Posted By: Robster Heading out in a few hours - 10/17/14
Well, I'm packing up to head to the Adirondack Mountains. Going to Otter Creek with the horses for a weekend of camping, dutch oven cooking, and riding.

Normally, My daughter goes with me, but this year she said she couldn't get off work and didn't want to go when it was cold. So my nephew was more than happy to agree to go. He has been wanting to go for the last three years.

Pics will be coming as I can get them posted.

Have a great weekend all!!!
Looking forward to a report on the trip.
Posted By: Robster Re: Heading out in a few hours - 10/21/14
Just trying to get some pics together. It won't be anything as fancy as Corcadori puts out, his pics are beautiful, but it serves me well.
Good luck Robster

Have fun, return safe and post the story and pics when home so we can enjoy.

Just got back from my annual trip to Otter Creek up in the Adirondack Mountains. Usually I go with my daughter, but this time she said she didn�t want to go as she did not like to go when it is cold. I actually prefer to go this time of the year as it is not hot, no bugs, and most importantly no people. I asked my nephew if he wanted to go and he jumped at the chance as he has been wanting to go for the last few years. Friday weather was good. Saturday was seasonable temps with rain on and off all day. Sunday was cold with passing snow showers. I had a great time as usual and I think my nephew enjoyed it as well.
Traffic on the way up
[Linked Image]
Dutch Oven dinner. Cut up chicken, broccoli and rice-a-roni. Easy simple and tasty. Second night was venison stew.....another favorite of ours.
[Linked Image]
Breakfast of Champions! Hash Browns, sausage, and eggs over easy with coffee.
[Linked Image]
Equine accommodations
[Linked Image]
Human accommodations
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/022108.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/04632.JPG[/img]
Some pics of the area.
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/02573.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/02976.JPG[/img]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Saw bear tracks on the trail. Also saw this log that looked like it was being torn apart for bugs? Bear?
[Linked Image]
My Nokota mare. Name is Prairie Rain or Rain.
[Linked Image]
My cold wet nephew with my wife�s grade trail mare Sequoia.
[Linked Image]

Drying out the gear.
[Linked Image]
Random pics
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Trail we saw the bear tracks on
[Linked Image]
Well... done...! looks like fun!

One question.. what kind of knot is that when the horse is tied to the hitching rail?
Terrific photos Robster.

Was the place you were an old CCC build? Or newer.

Thanks for posting.
Cocadori, I always tie her with a bowline and have a knife handy. She has been a puller in the past and I tie with a bowline and the rope halter. Neither will give and she has learned it's not worth the effort, but I still tie with that so if she does I can untie the knot again.
Will, I believe some areas were planted during the CC time. Lots of pines in straight rows and columns.
I hear ya... when ya get this way I'll show ya a good knot, stays knotted and is a quick release as well...

Maybe we'll take off for a day or 3 ;-)
Why wait? smile

This is similar to how I tie, except I will slip the last end.

I strongly reco a hitch that comes undone with a yank.

Looks like a good time in a neat place!
Posted By: Robster Re: Heading out in a few hours - 10/22/14
Corcadori, I got to get over there soon. Im just worried I will come home and sell all my horses and replace them with your Rocky Mountain Horses.

ironbender, thanks for the link. Im going to have to memorize that one!!!
Practice! So that you can tie it with your eyes closed. Or some other quick-release knot.

A bowline is a good knot to now, but please don't use it to tie to a rail. That's asking for a wreck.
Posted By: Robster Re: Heading out in a few hours - 10/23/14
I will definitely be using that knot ironbender, thanks again for the video link. the bowline is Not a knot I normally use to tie horses, but as I said she has been known to pull back and break halters or lead ropes. It got to the point she couldn't be tied. I rode to my friends one day and tied her to a telephone pole with a bowline using the yacht line and rope halter knowing she might try to pull. she did, laid right back into it. a couple of times as a matter of fact. pole did not move line and halter didn't break. she stood there very well behaved and gave me no trouble from then on for a couple of years. Fast forward those few years and this year I haven't had a lot of time to ride her and she is one that needs to be ridden. She was tied to the patience tree and sure enough she pulled her old tricks again. Pulled back a couple times and fortunately nothing broke. Not knowing any other knot I always used the bowline because it is easy to untie even when pulled tight, and I always have a couple sharp knives on me in case of a wreck.
Now, if anyone has a better way to teach a horse not to pull, I am more than open to suggestions. Now that I am riding a bit again, I am sure it won't be a problem anymore, but for future reference I would love to hear different ideas.
Does she resist or pull back when leading her?
Originally Posted by Robster
Cocadori, I always tie her with a bowline and have a knife handy. She has been a puller in the past and I tie with a bowline and the rope halter. Neither will give and she has learned it's not worth the effort, but I still tie with that so if she does I can untie the knot again.
Will, I believe some areas were planted during the CC time. Lots of pines in straight rows and columns.

1/2 hitch and no matter how hard they pull back on it the knot is easy for you to pull, no knife necessary

Cool pics. Thanks for sharing.
Posted By: Robster Re: Heading out in a few hours - 10/24/14
ironbender, she doesn't resist. Just when she is tied to trailer or tree. so I can do something else. She got her refresher before I took her up to the mountains and never pulled back when we were up there. She is one that the more you ride the better she is.
Originally Posted by Cocadori
I hear ya... when ya get this way I'll show ya a good knot, stays knotted and is a quick release as well...

Maybe we'll take off for a day or 3 ;-)

No offense intended, but with all this talk of knots, Joe Back is rolling over in his grave. smile
Posted By: Robster Re: Heading out in a few hours - 10/24/14
lol, your probably right!!!
Originally Posted by Robster
ironbender, she doesn't resist. Just when she is tied to trailer or tree. so I can do something else. She got her refresher before I took her up to the mountains and never pulled back when we were up there. She is one that the more you ride the better she is.

Wet blankets are a great attitude adjuster!
^ that... honest miles make honest ponies....
© 24hourcampfire