Home
Posted By: wabigoon Horse hoof treatment - 03/10/15
Is there something made to strengthen hooves?

I remember a woman at a Tractor Supply store years ago, she had long, nice fingernails.
I asked about her not breaking the nails, and she said she used some hoof treatment.

I'd like to stop my old toe, and fingernails from splitting seven ways to Sunday.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Horse hoof treatment - 03/10/15
pine tar.....
Posted By: Dan_H Re: Horse hoof treatment - 03/10/15
Hoof problems like splitting are due to imbalances in the trim or metabolic/nutritional issues. Same would seem to be the case in us. Cracking fingernails that are not long or used as screwdrivers and pry bars would seem to indicate a nutritional deficit.
Pine tar is a nutrient?
Posted By: Dan_H Re: Horse hoof treatment - 03/10/15
I believe pine tar works as an antimicrobial when used with oakum under shoes and repels moisture on the wall. Works well on those issues. Not to mention give you a hell of a good grip on things. If the problem is in the lamina bonds my first choice would be a product like Farriers formula.

Hoping a farrier like Ironbender will chime in with his educated take on the subject - my take on the subject is opinion.
A little pine tar mixed in with hoof oil helps seal IN the moisture in colorado's dry climate. Really does help with cracks and drying. If a horse stands in mud or water for a couple hours a day, dressings usually aren't needed here.

wabi, here's some stuff that may do you. all natcheral.....

http://hoofalive.com/
Posted By: Dan_H Re: Horse hoof treatment - 03/11/15
keretex hoof hardener is what we use for excessive moisture causing external cracking.
Posted By: Cinch Re: Horse hoof treatment - 03/11/15
We always used this...Seems to work well. Probably same idea as the Hoofalive.

http://www.absorbine.com/products/hoof-care/hooflex-therapeutic-ointment
© 24hourcampfire