Home
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Wade or Association? - 04/23/16
I've put it off way to long. Been riding in a number of 15" saddles that my quads and hamstrings have more than filled. It's not a bad thing with one that will throw a buck, but after a couple of hours it'd be nice to shift a bit.

I've not owned or ridden a Wade. Mainly used roping, association/mod, barrel, and in the past year tried an Aussie. Association or mod association are what I like best. Whatever I get will be used for general riding (lots of mountain/rough riding), starting young ones, ranch type roping (mainly pulling 250-300 lb buck goats, occasionally cattle when helping neighbors/friends).

For those of you that use one, any big likes or dislikes on a Wade? Especially in comparison to an association?
Posted By: byron Re: Wade or Association? - 04/23/16
JC, I was in the same position several years ago, and tried several different saddles. The saddle that fit me best, and most of the backs I have put it on, is a McCall Northwest Wade. Plenty comfortable for all day rides, and with bucking rolls has worked great for starting/riding young horses.
Also, has worked real well for rough country riding.
I can't say much about the roping though, as I've used mine mostly for the above and ponying young horses, and riding in working cowhorse events.
Posted By: Robster Re: Wade or Association? - 04/23/16
I ride in a wade. Been on several hunts in AZ for lion. 20 miles a day for 5 days and never sore or hurt butt. hog hunting in South Carolina, running after dogs, trail riding, camping, very comfortable, allows me to move around for uphills and downhills. I really like my wade, but never rode in an association so cannot compare.
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Wade or Association? - 04/23/16
Association or Will James for me. Never cottoned to bolt-on swells.......
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Wade or Association? - 04/24/16
Appreciate the feedback. The bucking rolls are the kicker for me. Seems I'd use them on a lot of what I do...so the slick fork just became a swell fork.

Need to spend some time in the seat of one.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Wade or Association? - 04/24/16
I like the deep seat on my slick fork. A comfortable saddle to ride. I ride a 15" but I,am getting to big for the seat with heavy wool hunting pants. Should get a 16" built for my self.
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Wade or Association? - 04/30/16
I rode modified Associations for years, but my friend Charley Snell, a horse clinician and saddle-maker, built me a saddle on a Weatherly tree. It took me about three months to get used to it, then I loved it. I rode it for over 20 years. Shawn Kramer of Sandhills Saddlery in North Dakota is just now finishing me a rough-out Wade. I should have it in a few days. I ride slick forks and see no need for buckrolls. I may try them on this new saddle, but who knows. Like Pat85 said, if built right, a Wade has a great deep seat. But, Pat, I wouldn't jump straight to a 16" just because of hunting pants. A 15 1/2" would be better in my opinion, unless the 15" is too small now with regular pants.
Posted By: FoxtonGundogs Re: Wade or Association? - 05/06/16
I ride the '51 Association I inherited from my Gramps in the mid 70s I love it. when I was cowboying I would spend up to 10 hrs a day in it. It has never sored me or a horse. not a fan of slick forks especially in the mountains but that's JOM
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Wade or Association? - 05/06/16
Originally Posted by mtrancher
I rode modified Associations for years, but my friend Charley Snell, a horse clinician and saddle-maker, built me a saddle on a Weatherly tree. It took me about three months to get used to it, then I loved it. I rode it for over 20 years. Shawn Kramer of Sandhills Saddlery in North Dakota is just now finishing me a rough-out Wade. I should have it in a few days. I ride slick forks and see no need for buckrolls. I may try them on this new saddle, but who knows. Like Pat85 said, if built right, a Wade has a great deep seat. But, Pat, I wouldn't jump straight to a 16" just because of hunting pants. A 15 1/2" would be better in my opinion, unless the 15" is too small now with regular pants.

I should just go on a diet and keep the 15.
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Wade or Association? - 05/09/16
you might try lengthening your stirrups by a half-hole when wearing heavier pants.
Posted By: m_s_s Re: Wade or Association? - 05/22/16
I have been building saddles for over 30 years, been riding them for over 65. I build mostly Wades no days as they are extremely popular with the cowboys and wannabes out here. I ride a wade myself. You can put squaw tits on them, although they probably won't save your ass in a wreck lol. I also have built a lot of Associatons. If was building a saddle for a hunter, and I have, I would recommend the association or the will James tree. The ground seat in any saddle and how the stirrup leathers hang is what makes the saddle comfortable or not. Ed
© 24hourcampfire