Home
Posted By: ironbender Saddles - 07/05/16
Need a lead on a manufacturer that makes trail saddles that will fit a high withered horse.

Thanks.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Saddles - 07/06/16
http://steelesaddle.com
Posted By: jeffdwhite Re: Saddles - 07/07/16
Might not be your cup of tea, but I've been riding one of these lately, English Buena Vista w/ horn, but with western rigging.
I like it, not as secure as my big western saddle, but weighs less than 30 lbs.
http://www.mastfamilytack.com/brenneman-saddles/4581101998
Posted By: Tim_B Re: Saddles - 07/07/16
i like my abetta, we do have a pandora performance saddle on order looks like it may have quite a bit of adjustment to work with high withered horses
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Saddles - 07/07/16

From: http://equusmagazine.com/article/saddles-hard-fit-horse-12920

Challenge 2: The high-withered horse

Many Thoroughbreds and their crosses, Appendix Quarter Horses and other athletic riding types sport high, sharp---“shark”---withers that make saddle fitting tough. Take one look at those withers and you might think narrow saddle. But that’s an all-too-common mistake. Many of these horses have withers that taper into a broad, athletic back with a well-sprung rib cage. A narrow saddle on this kind of horse will probably cause pain.

For these horses, you’re probably going to be looking for a V-shaped tree, especially if your horse is angular, but don’t rule out the hoop-shaped tree if he’s broad in his back. Opinions vary in the saddle-fitting community over whether it’s advisable to buy an extra-wide saddle and add padding at the withers to make it fit. “The idea
that it’s OK to fit a saddle too wide and then pad it up is erroneous. It’s just as uncomfortable on the horse as a saddle that’s too narrow,” warns Anderson.

On the other hand, says Temple, “Many in the natural horsemanship community, as well as other fitters and veterinarians, feel that fitting a horse with a too-wide saddle and using shims to lift the front is actually advantageous. The use of front shims to lift the saddle balances the rider, while the extra width in the tree gives the horse great comfort and freedom of movement.”

If your horse is more angular, consider other options. “A more angular horse with hollows behind the shoulder does better in a tree with a longer point,” says Anderson. “Shoulder gussets and a dropped panel are a must to fill in the area behind the shoulder and lift the saddle enough in front to clear those withers.”

Here are a few suggestions for high-withered horses:

• Black Country Saddles specializes in custom-built saddles for a number of English disciplines, including dressage, endurance, jumping, polo and hunters as well as Icelandic and general purpose. High-withered horses will benefit from models with thicker gussets and trapezius or K panels, which fill in hollow areas behind the shoulders. These saddles are made in Walsall, England. Prices start around $2,300. Go to www.blackcountrysaddles.com.

• Collegiate Saddles offers hand-crafted leather saddles for a variety of English disciplines---including dressage, eventing and jumping---all with the Easy-Change Gullet System, which allows you to select a gullet bar that best fits your horse. The bar can be changed, as necessary, if your horse changes in size. Prices range from $670 to $1,500. Go to www.collegiate-saddles.com.

Barrel racing or gaited saddles, available from many makers, tend to offer ample clearance at the withers. “The key to high withers is finding a saddle with sufficient clearance,” says Anderson. “The two- to three-finger rule isn’t an accurate measure.” Instead, Anderson suggests riding in the saddle for about 20 minutes. Then check that the saddle is not resting on top of the withers, both at the gullet area and toward the stirrup attachment or bar. Some horses have shark withers that drop off sharply. Others have withers that taper off like a mountain range. No matter which type your horse has, be sure there’s no pressure there either before or after you ride.

A couple of thoughts.

On the too-wide saddle and using shims. I'm not a big fan of trying to pad up saddles, but depending on the build of the horse, the following pad might be worth trying if you already have a saddle that is close in fit but could be shimmed around a shark finned wither:

http://www.statelinetack.com/item/diamond-wool-contour-relief-pad/E006939/

I often see saddles made for gaited horses that might work. A lot of variation in gaited horses, but a lot of saddles made specifically for them have higher withers. A lot of them appear to be really nice trail saddles. Might be worth a look...

Australian stock saddles my be worth looking at as well. I recently sold a quarter horse mare I had for almost a year that had high withers. Came with an aust saddle and it fit her well. Can't say much about how austr saddles fit in general as it's the only one I've used. It did have the "padding" which I think can be reshaped...her's was well fitted to her.

Having a custom saddle made with a wither tracing for the tree to be built according to is the ultimate. Time and $ may be a killer on this if it's going to be a rare thing for that saddle to fit another horse....

Posted By: roundoak Re: Saddles - 07/07/16
The U.S. Government made saddles that would fit most wither conformation.

I have not intentionally bought a high withered horse, but have broke some for others and rescued a few. A McCellan saddle usually worked.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is probably not much help, but is an option.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Saddles - 07/07/16
smile

Primarily for my wife's horse and I'm sure she ain't swinging a leg over the McC!

All three are high withered. We bought them based primarily on disposition. My mount is the one DanH mentioned not being phased by cleaning with a power washer. He's just a great boy!

Anyway, the Mrs horse has a tendency to get back sore from her current western saddle and has had some behavior issues from that. He's been chiropracted and not saddling him until we have one that fits.

Looking mostly for a western saddle for her, so it also needs to be on the light side.

Please keep the recos coming. Thanks.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Saddles - 07/07/16
Originally Posted by ironbender
Need a lead on a manufacturer that makes trail saddles that will fit a high withered horse.

Thanks.

Just about any saddle maker in the north west.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Saddles - 07/08/16
Originally Posted by Kaleb

I've used saddles by many Amish and several of the big named companys. To "us" my wife friends and myself the Steele saddles fit both horse and rider better than anything we've tried to date.

We go through lots of different horses between personal horses and customer horses. I've not had any saddle fit problems with the steeles but sure did before.

I'll also add that no saddle pad I've found has ever really helped with a poor fitting saddle. Can't recommend the 5 star wool pads enough.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Saddles - 07/08/16
Originally Posted by Pat85

Thanks.

A friend of mine has a 98 wade by Mccall and I really like it. I will probably end up trying one myself. I actually spoke with them at dry fork but ended up going steele again because I know them personally. Still have a itch for a Mccall though.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Saddles - 07/08/16
We have a pretty big stack of pads to try to make a current saddle fit right and have come to the conclusion that the place to start is with a good fitting saddle (doh!).

This particular horse has been fitted for english as he's ridden that way at times. We've gotten measurements/contour of his back and sent it off. Tried a saddle from a name company and it fits OK, but the seat isn't comfortable.

5-star pads are great. It's what we mostly use now. I have the 1" oversize pad on my horse.

I'll look at the recos. Thanks.
Posted By: mtrancher Re: Saddles - 07/09/16
http://www.sandhills-saddlery.com/saddles/roughelephant.html

I have this on order and it should come any day.
Posted By: m_s_s Re: Saddles - 07/10/16
I can build you a saddle that will fit a high withered horse. The gullets in most factory saddles are wide and low and the trees they use are chit. But they keep the cost down. The trees I use cost damn near what a factory saddle costs. Each tree is made to my( your) specs. My base price is 3 grand, for that you get a plain or rough out leather. Buying custom saddles is like buying a truck the options cost time therefore they cost money. Ed
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Saddles - 07/11/16
Originally Posted by Kaleb
Originally Posted by Pat85

Thanks.

A friend of mine has a 98 wade by Mccall and I really like it. I will probably end up trying one myself. I actually spoke with them at dry fork but ended up going steele again because I know them personally. Still have a itch for a Mccall though.

I have an itch for one from Rick Bean. Need to sock some $$$ away first.
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Saddles - 07/11/16
I'll look into that. I'm fairly new to some of these brands and makers. I started with Amish saddles which is common where I live. Good saddles but the thing with Amish more are Amish made than are advertised Amish don't ride. They make long lasting leather goods but they don't ride for the most part.

Then I stepped up(or meant to step up) with higher end factory saddles Bighorn tucker circle y. Was very disappointed to say the least. Those cost 2-3 times what the Amish do but not that much better fit for horse or rider. I had lots of saddle fit issues during this time. Met Fred one of the 2 owners of Steele saddles on a camping trailride. Best fit for horse and rider I've found so far.

I believe what I've discovered is just quality hand made saddles from people who ride and use them. I look forward to trying some others but like you said $$$$
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Saddles - 07/11/16
Kaleb,

If you're set on a Wade and aren't absolute on McCall being the company, might want to look at Ted Estes saddles for a custom. I've not gotten one from him yet, but came close a few months ago. He uses great trees, leather, and looks to put them together well. Makes a lot of Wades. Reason I mention him is that he's not to far away in Ball Ground GA.
Ok thank you I'll look there too.

Btw...sorry I've still not met up for a ride. I've been swamped since February. I did bust loose and came to gulf shores with wife baby and family for a few. Fly to Montana tomorrow to ride/pack in and fish. I would like to meet up and ride when we can tough.
Posted By: JCMCUBIC Re: Saddles - 07/11/16
I understand, I'm covered up too. I'm mainly just hitting short rides early or late to keep from cooking. Have a couple of yearlings I've been working with and some fencing I'm doing that have keep me on the ground more than in the saddle as well.
Posted By: Tim_B Re: Saddles - 07/11/16
pandora seems to be on the same theory as the McCellan, just using adjustable velco pads to supposedly make it fit most any horse (in theory, we will see)and carbon fiber so light and can be painted any color you want.

my thought on the whole "just buy a wide saddle and use pads/shims" I buy a pair of boots to fit my foot, I don't buy a pair of boots then 10 pairs of socks to fit my boot
I agree Tim. I believe it's bs but I'm sure it sells well.

Let me back that up and say I boughta $380 corrector pad system years ago. It's a high quality product but if the saddle doesn't fit it doesn't fit. Most would rather think you can spend a few hundred on a pad rather than few grand on a saddle that would have to be sold or burried with the horse.
Posted By: m_s_s Re: Saddles - 07/12/16
The most important parts of a saddle 1. The tree, is it well made, does it fit the horse, mule or whatever you put it on, does it fit the rider ( is it the right length) 2. The rigging, is it strong and is positioned right ( equal on both sides) 3. Is the Ground Seat ( how the see at is built, not the cover leather, the leather that formed and shaved to produce a comfortable seat). Most factory saddles are what we ( custom saddle makers) call clicker saddles. All parts are stamped out by a machine and assembled on a line, much like cars are. It takes Circle Y 8 to 10 hrs to produce a saddle where it takes a minimum of 40 hrs for a custom builder to produce a plain jane. You get what you pay for. There are a lot of good saddle makers out there. A lot of them are artists. If was going to invest in a saddle I would order from a guy that has rode a lot of saddles before he ever built one lol. It would be wise to shop where the men that make a living in one shop lol. Just my thoughts, ed
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Saddles - 07/12/16
I agree with everything you said. I don't make my current living in a saddle but spend much much time in one. Doing what I do I don't have time to spore a horse or me. It still happens sometimes but I do all I know to do to prevent it
Posted By: Kaleb Re: Saddles - 07/12/16
Sore not spore

I'll add I'm not making my living but when I'm charging for 30,60,90 days I give honest time. If a horse gets sored from my doing or equipment I can't charge yet horse is still on my feed bill. It's in my best interest to use the best things I can to insure I can work the horse as much as I can with no issues.
© 24hourcampfire