Home
Posted By: jeffdwhite new (to me) saddle - 07/25/16
I have a thing for collecting saddles, ones that are just different or have an interesting history. My old mare has
nixed a bunch of em, she really lets me know if one doesn't suit her. As much as I like accumulating them, if I can't ride it, down the road it goes. This is my latest, built about 25 years ago in Texas for a man who did Texas Ranger and Confederate living history. Got to ride it about 4 miles yesterday morning,
looking like the boss approves. I love how it rides, but need to lose a little beer gut - dang it's a tight between me and the saddle horn grin
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Robster Re: new (to me) saddle - 07/25/16
I'd call that a minimalist saddle. looks good to me!!!
Posted By: ironbender Re: new (to me) saddle - 07/26/16
No flank?
Posted By: jeffdwhite Re: new (to me) saddle - 07/26/16
No Sir, it came with a crupper, but the man I got it from never used it. I probably won't either.
I've always rode gaited horses, never thrown a rope, so I've
hardly ever used a flank girth on anything.

Did get a period correct halter, lead strap, link strap, headstall and reins, dragoon style breast collar, and saddlebags with it though smile
Posted By: SockPuppet Re: new (to me) saddle - 07/27/16
That's pretty darned interesting. Would love to see it on the horse if you get the chance to snap a pic.
Posted By: ironbender Re: new (to me) saddle - 07/27/16
Originally Posted by jeffdwhite
No Sir, it came with a crupper, but the man I got it from never used it. I probably won't either.
I've always rode gaited horses, never thrown a rope, so I've
hardly ever used a flank girth on anything.

Did get a period correct halter, lead strap, link strap, headstall and reins, dragoon style breast collar, and saddlebags with it though smile

Good score!
Posted By: roundoak Re: new (to me) saddle - 07/29/16
A real nice example of a Hope style saddle. There was about a 1/2 dozen of them in our living history group and I got a chance to try them out.
Good ride.

For rowdy riding a surcingle was used.
© 24hourcampfire