Home
Posted By: Whelen Nut To Slime or Not to Slime? - 08/20/16
Anyone use Slime in your ATV tires? How about 'Ride On' or other tire sealants?

Worth doing or waste of $$?

What say you?

Posted By: Troutnut Re: To Slime or Not to Slime? - 08/20/16
Worth doing in my opinion. We hunt Wva a lot and our area has a nasty little tree called Thorn apple or Hawthorns . They have thorns from 1" -3" all over the tree including limbs. The guys who don't slime their tires usually don't make it very far . Of course it depends on your area , but a few extra bucks vs a 5-6 mile walk is worth it to me.
Posted By: badger Re: To Slime or Not to Slime? - 08/20/16
I use it, never have problems, unlike the guys that don't.
Posted By: tmax264 Re: To Slime or Not to Slime? - 08/20/16
The only guys that don't like it are the ones that fix your flats or swap out the tires for you. It can be messy after braking the bead loose.
Posted By: Oldidaho Re: To Slime or Not to Slime? - 08/21/16
I don't slime, makes it hard to plug patch a tire. I have a small Cabela's kit with plug patches and 3 CO2 cartridges for fixing and inflation for trail side repairs. For our annual 10 day elk hunts I also brought along a mounted front and rear spare for my Yamaha Grizzly, in case of a puncture or rip too big to patch. The nearest ATV tire replacement was 3 hours away.
Posted By: mudhen Re: To Slime or Not to Slime? - 08/21/16
Where I live, we have mesquite thorns. You would have to carry a sizable package of tire plugs on most outings. We slime all of our ATV/UTV tires.
Posted By: 7_08FAN Re: To Slime or Not to Slime? - 08/21/16
Slime is the worst of the lot IMO. Get some purple goo and never look back. Don't even dodge the thorns.
Thanks for the input, guys. Much appreciated.

Anyone ever use 'Ride On' sealant?
Originally Posted by 7_08FAN
Slime is the worst of the lot IMO. Get some purple goo and never look back. Don't even dodge the thorns.

7-08 Looks like the purple goo is the same as 'Ride On' which is available locally here. No p-goo dealers outside of the mid-south area apparently.
May be about the same. I order it out of the distributor in Texas. They ship it UPS.
I like to use slime because when I get a hole in a tire it seeps out and it's easy to know where to put a plug.
If it worked it wouldn't seep out nor would you need a plug. Just sayin.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: To Slime or Not to Slime? - 08/21/16
I put slime in my atv tires several years ago. Ran it in there about 3 yrs and then bought new tires. The slime started rusting the inside of my rims. Ate thru the paint and was rusting the iron rims. When I bought new tires, I wire brushed the rims and primed them.
There are two different types of Slime, one for tube-type tires and one for ATV tubeless tires. My understanding is that using the tube-type in a tubeless tire/wheel can cause rust to the wheel.

They come in very similar jugs and it is necessary to carefully read the label to avoid getting the wrong kind. Don't ask me how I know this...
Posted By: kingston Re: To Slime or Not to Slime? - 08/24/16
I slimed my electric golf cart tires. The stuff works, even in this relative low speed, infrequent use, application.
Thanks to Slime, I wrung an extra 2 or 3 years out of an old, sun rotted garden tractor tire. After a while, the sidewall splits got so bad that I had to be careful to park with the splits on the bottom so the slime would pool and plug them up.
Ya it was a joke bud
Posted By: shootem Re: To Slime or Not to Slime? - 09/26/16
Only time I used slime there was already a plug in one tire. Slime melted the glue. Was quite a ways in the woods when it pooted and went flat. But that was 16 or 17 years ago. YMMV
© 24hourcampfire