Home
Looking at SS in 6.5x55

please talk me out of it. i have brass, bullets and dies, but they look nice just sitting on the shelf.

I'll start: it will look ugly with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 matte ballistic plex.
It will shoot ugly little groups instead of big pretty ones.
The bolt throw is too smooth...no grittiness at all.
A pal accidentally dropped his loaded magazine on the floor and just like that...... he was the owner of a nice single shot rifle......... until he could order a new one.

They’er nice rifles that shoot well. I wish they would make a proper short action for the 308 based cartridges......
It doesn't hold 5 rounds
That does it, time for the Sako 85 and proper action length
Have a blued one in 6.5 creed bought it used with rings for $425.00, there isn't anything I don't like about it for that kind of money. Now if I could find a twin in 6 or 22 creed For the same price I'd be in love. Mb
Originally Posted by Esox357
It doesn't hold 5 rounds

5 round magazines are floating around. Boom, problem solved.
Originally Posted by 16bore
It will shoot ugly little groups instead of big pretty ones.

This problem is shared with my T3x. And mine wears a Burris M Tac 4.5-14 x 42 , talk about ugly.
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Have a blued one in 6.5 creed bought it used with rings for $425.00, there isn't anything I don't like about it for that kind of money. Now if I could find a twin in 6 or 22 creed For the same price I'd be in love. Mb

Pick up an 8" 22 250, have Shaen open it up to creedmoor.
That was my plan, until my rifle budget shrank do to covid issues.
I hate the 3 I own as they are pretty much perfect right out of the box so I have a slue of good gunsmithing tools and know how that dont get used.

I wish they had an internal box mahazine is my only gripe but that would take away their single position in line feed which is one of the reasons they are so smooth.

Spence
The factory synthetic stock isn’t better or worse than comparably priced guns
Price. But hard to argue with results.
The stock and the price.
I had a T3 in 308 and a T3x in 30-06.

I don't care for detachable mags but that's a personal preference. Everything else about them is pretty much perfect.

Okie John
I dislike Tikka Lite SS rifles so much that I have three of them. All 3 were very easy to work up loads for. What fun is that?
more cowbell is needed. and more hate.
I bought a new T3X in 30-06. It's shooting pretty good, and I like it.

Shoots good and feels good.

I certainly wish the magazine would accept longer cartridges

To feed smoothly from magazine, COAL can't be longer than 3.340 inch.

I hafta compromise in C.O.A.L. when making 180 grain reloads.

FjLee Denver,CO
I bought a new T3X in 30-06. It's shooting pretty good, and I like it.
Shoots good and feels good.
I certainly wish the magazine would accept longer cartridges.
Max COAL is 3.340 inch.
Can't be longer than that if I want rounds to feed smoothly from magazine to chamber.
Requires that Ihafta compromise on COAL with my 180 grain handloads.

FjLee
generous mag confines begs for an M700
I can’t get used to the stock. It just doesn’t feel right.
I don’t like having only 2.

They are lonely. That makes me feel bad.

I’d be happier if they were sold for less $$$$$$

That’s all I can think of now.

Jerry
I hate not having one sooner.
I have a Tikka T3 ( not t3x) blued farming 308 Win, 24" barrel.

Wish the bottom metal was blued steel.

Wish there was a way to mount a rear receiver sight ( like a blued steel Lyman or Redfield), and then put on a front aperture sight.
No use for the convertible stock..
Well, don’t “like” that that am shooting .223 and 7mm-08 in a long action, just on principle, not performance.

Don’t “like” the plastic, er, bottomplastic.

Don’t “like” how the bolt handle root afixes, having a little play, nor the fact one can’t replace a lost/damaged bolt.

Don’t desire a removable magazine, nor “like” one that fits proud.

Those are nitpicks. Lot’s to be positive about. It’s a clean and lightweight design whose performance : pricepoint is tough to beat, so have a few.
I just sold my TX3 in 6.5cm! And bought a Browning HC Speed in 308. The Browning is better balanced an the stock is way better. I liked the Tikk a ok but it just was ugly and didn't fit me well.it shot good however and was smooth.
Plastic mag and btm metal. And it doesn’t shoot as well as my RAR.
Originally Posted by babills
I just sold my TX3 in 6.5cm! And bought a Browning HC Speed in 308. The Browning is better balanced an the stock is way better. I liked the Tikk a ok but it just was ugly and didn't fit me well.it shot good however and was smooth.

Browning HC Speed = Tikka T3x clone? Looks to be, less some cosmetic differences.
Originally Posted by GeoW

Browning HC Speed = Tikka T3x clone? Looks to be, less some cosmetic differences.

Well I have owned both and that is my opinion. Ergos are better on the browning.
I have a t3 stainless 6.5 x55 I like it, deer hate it
Originally Posted by turkish

Funny
Originally Posted by GeoW

Well I have owned both and that is my opinion. Ergos are better on the browning.

Tikka has a better action,Barrel, Trigger and stock and that is a fact. I have owned/own both. The Tikka shoots better then my X and A bolt ever did.
Originally Posted by JoeBob

A sincere ?

I've had a T 3 since 2003 and a T3X since 2018.... what do you not like about the stock ?

Mine are rigid - stout/stiff enuff that I have had any problems. I'd like to know what you or
others don't like about the stock / NOT bottom metal etc. Stock only.

Thanks

Jerry
Originally Posted by Blacktail53
A pal accidentally dropped his loaded magazine on the floor and just like that...... he was the owner of a nice single shot rifle......... until he could order a new one.

They’er nice rifles that shoot well. I wish they would make a proper short action for the 308 based cartridges......
Funny, mine flew off the roof of a pickup going 50 mph and cartwheeled down the pavement for quite a distance while fully loaded and it still works fine.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Originally Posted by Blacktail53

Funny, mine flew off the roof of a pickup going 50 mph and cartwheeled down the pavement for quite a distance while fully loaded and it still works fine.

That exceeds sticks barrel break in requirements
Originally Posted by jwall

A sincere ?

I've had a T 3 since 2003 and a T3X since 2018.... what do you not like about the stock ?

Mine are rigid - stout/stiff enuff that I have had any problems. I'd like to know what you or
others don't like about the stock / NOT bottom metal etc. Stock only.

Thanks

Jerry

To me the stock has a very cheap feel and look. And it just does not fit me that well. It's all very subjective. There is no physical problem with the stock it functioned just fine.
I find a lot more to like about them then not. Accuracy is usually great to fantastic, stock ergos are decent for me - especially the T3x when it has a vertical grip installed, and overall balance is pretty good. Never had feeding issues with the mag. I like the bolt lock with the safety, many don’t. Mag does length constrain long action cartridges and twist aren’t always perfect - especially if looking to do heavy VLD type bullets. But I continually keep grabbing them as my go to rifles. This year was the first time in probably 7 years that I didn’t eaclusively hunt with some form of a tikka. Spinning up two build now with two tikka action.
1. Extra mags are like $40
2. They don’t make an 18” bbl version so you have to have it cut and threaded yourself.
3. It’s not as light as my fieldcraft.
4. The comb height and angle is too low. Fortunately, a Magpul cheek riser for an MOE/CTR stock fits perfectly after applying some heat and bending it, then just glue it on.
5. Trigger is only pretty good.

My 6.5 Creedhiroshima

Attached picture 08481670-A44A-4C72-88F0-C31FAC14A82F.jpeg

A sincere ?

To me the stock has a very cheap feel and look. And it just does not fit me that well. It's all very subjective. There is no physical problem with the stock it functioned just fine.

Stock fit, yes one size does NOT fit all.
Thnx

Jerry
I have 4 T3xs and my only gripe is I’d like the option of 24” barrels in standard calibers. Also, I have a perception the barrels tend to run a little slower than some rifles I’ve owned in the past for a given load. For example, it takes 59.5 grains of IMR4350 to get 165s to 2830fps (30-06) and 60.5g of H4831sc to get 130s to 3100fps. Clearly acceptable velocity...just burning more powder to get there. The reason I have 4 is they are the easiest guns I’ve ever loaded for to get great accuracy.
Bad recoil pad, even on the T3X. If Remington and Savage can put good pads on their rifles, why can't Tikka? I know a limbsaver pad will fix the issue, but it's an additional cost and it seems to add a little bit to the length of pull.
I actually enjoy glass bedding rifles, working on the trigger, spending a week and 300 rounds of ammo trying to find a load!

Tikka takes all the fun out of this, there too push button for me

Trystan
The bolt stop.
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Tikka has a better action

Comes in two choices, long & long.
Way too much plastic
I like everything about them except the safety. Put a three position on it like a model 70 or Ruger Hawkeye and it would be a better hunting rifle, IMO.
Their recoil lug design is chidt, but its cheaper for them to make it like that. The recoil lug loosens up over time and sinks into the stock. And yes, this affects accuracy over time. Whether some of you want to accept it or not. The design sucks. The only way to kind of fix this problem is replace the factory lug with a tight fitting stainless lug and epoxy it into the stock, so it does not sink into the stock and lose purchase on the inletting on the bottom of the action. The guys that don't shoot their rifles much, will never see it. I shoot 10 shot groups with all of my Tikka's and don't like groups opening up, but see it in the Tikka's until the problem is fixed with proper glass bedding. There is no one here who has produced sub moa results in the MOA all day long challenge here with their bone stock Tikka rifles, so those of you who want to argue and look fu cking stupid can do so, but the proof is in that challenge. .
I have a fast twist 22-250 coming, eager to get scope on it, fire for effect.
I guess in response to bsa1917s post I agree with the idea of bedding the lug in the stock, I just used industrial epoxy and never had an issue.

As to the all day MOA challenge why would I want to shoot a 6 lb big game caliber rifle, name your flavor, all day??Maybe with a heavy barrel varmint caliber in a dog town or if I was one of those tactical want to be sniper types.

Even with my Tikka CTR 308, which is not really a sniper/tactical rifle but reminds me as more of a standard weight hunting rifle from youth, about 60 rds over a range time is good on my shoulder.

My other Tikkas are all superlites so about 20 is max for my 308 and 40 for my 6.5 swede. I had a 300 WM superlite, had being key word there, it was a 10 rounder even with a replacement pad but still grouped sub moa with 2 factory loads everytime I shot it for years.

Shooting how I do I never had groups open up with my Tikkas even before I epoxied the lug in.

I have been shooting Tikkas since around 2005 and never had any issues with them as is for a HUNTING rifle.

My 2 cents. Be safe and well all. Spence

Originally Posted by spence1875
I guess in response to bsa1917s post I agree with the idea of bedding the lug in the stock, I just used industrial epoxy and never had an issue.

As to the all day MOA challenge why would I want to shoot a 6 lb big game caliber rifle, name your flavor, all day??Maybe with a heavy barrel varmint caliber in a dog town or if I was one of those tactical want to be sniper types.

Even with my Tikka CTR 308, which is not really a sniper/tactical rifle but reminds me as more of a standard weight hunting rifle from youth, about 60 rds over a range time is good on my shoulder.

My other Tikkas are all superlites so about 20 is max for my 308 and 40 for my 6.5 swede. I had a 300 WM superlite, had being key word there, it was a 10 rounder even with a replacement pad but still grouped sub moa with 2 factory loads everytime I shot it for years.

Shooting how I do I never had groups open up with my Tikkas even before I epoxied the lug in.

I have been shooting Tikkas since around 2005 and never had any issues with them as is for a HUNTING rifle.

My experience is much like yours. I've had a Tikka 695 for over 20 yrs now, who knows how many rds through the tube, and it's still a tack driver. Never had a problem with any of the 7 Tikkas I've owned, ever. BSA's perpetual blathering is a joke, nonsense. He's really good at beating a dead horse, being a broken record, and posting pics of paper. Evidently he can't kill anything because he's too busy shooting 10 shot groups at the range. Anybody ever seen a kill shot from this clown?
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by spence1875

My experience is much like yours. I've had a Tikka 695 for over 20 yrs now, who knows how many rds through the tube, and it's still a tack driver. Never had a problem with any of the 7 Tikkas I've owned, ever. BSA's perpetual blathering is a joke, nonsense. He's really good at beating a dead horse, being a broken record, and posting pics of paper. Evidently he can't kill anything because he's too busy shooting 10 shot groups at the range. Anybody ever seen a kill shot from this clown?
I never understood the fascination with shooting thousands of rounds/hundreds of groups on paper from a bench anyways. Bench shooting is not good hunting practice {unless you hunt from a bench} and paper targets make poor stew. Frankly bench shooting is damn near worthless and incredibly boring to me as is putting hole after hole after hole in paper. I use it for load testing and zeroing only. After that it's all offhand and kneeling practice since those are the positions from which I kill most of my game and if you can shoot good offhand everything else is easy.
Originally Posted by Dogger
Looking at SS in 6.5x55

please talk me out of it. i have brass, bullets and dies, but they look nice just sitting on the shelf.

I'll start: it will look ugly with a Burris Fullfield II 3-9x40 matte ballistic plex.

Well, for starters the dam thing shots lights without having to alter anything.........so much that despite the scratches I've incurred on the plastic stock, I'm worried changing to an aftermarket stock can only diminish accuracy.

And a B&C medalist stock would look great on this T3 SS.
Originally Posted by Dogger
Looking at SS in 6.5x55

You're correct - they are ugly with a Burris FFII 3-9, but not so bad with a Burris C4 3-9 30mm:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

139 Scenars don't bounce off inside of 50 yards (can't say about longer shots)

Load work is a long and painful ordeal:

I'm still trying to find something I don't like about it...
Originally Posted by hanco
I have a fast twist 22-250 coming, eager to get scope on it, fire for effect.

That is one thing I really don't like.............I had to search all over to find my 22-250 1-8" twist. now they are everywhere !!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Their recoil lug design is chidt, The recoil lug loosens up over time and sinks into the stock. The design sucks. . .

I have to agree
He did post a pic of some random antlers/skull boiling in a pot once.

Evidently he can't kill anything because he's too busy shooting 10 shot groups at the range. Anybody ever seen a kill shot from this clown?

My experience is much like yours. I've had a Tikka 695 for over 20 yrs now, who knows how many rds through the tube, and it's still a tack driver. Never had a problem with any of the 7 Tikkas I've owned, ever.

BSA's perpetual blathering is a joke, nonsense. He's really good at beating a dead horse, being a broken record, and posting pics of paper. Evidently he can't kill anything because he's too busy shooting 10 shot groups at the range. Anybody ever seen a kill shot from this clown?

Yes JG, you've got me beaten by a couple of years but my oldest is a T3 Lite SS 270 Win, I bought in 2003 and hunted
that Fall. So mine's hunted for 17 seasons and ZERO, as in NADA, problems.

My 'youngest' is a T 3X Lite SS 7 RM I bought in 2018 so it's only had 2 seasons with me and starting it's 3rd.

TO DATE, not one, single, solitary problem shocked

Ho hum...guess who is in the 'minority' ?

NOT US !

Jerry
Mountain Tactical, also known as Tikka Performance, has "metal" bottom metal and metal magazines that give you 3" for a short action caliber.[Linked Image]
Feel too toyish to me, same with kimbers. I’m a glutton for punishment and would rather lug around heavy M70’s.

All my big game rifles are M70’s, and my varmint rigs are Tikka’s.
I also do not like the closed receiver on top. I like to carry a rifle in my right hand with my fingers under the belly in front of the trigger guard and my thumb over the bolt and under the scope. You can’t do that with a Tikka.

My experience is much like yours. I've had a Tikka 695 for over 20 yrs now, who knows how many rds through the tube, and it's still a tack driver. Never had a problem with any of the 7 Tikkas I've owned, ever.

BSA's perpetual blathering is a joke, nonsense. He's really good at beating a dead horse, being a broken record, and posting pics of paper. Evidently he can't kill anything because he's too busy shooting 10 shot groups at the range. Anybody ever seen a kill shot from this clown?

Yes JG, you've got me beaten by a couple of years but my oldest is a T3 Lite SS 270 Win, I bought in 2003 and hunted
that Fall. So mine's hunted for 17 seasons and ZERO, as in NADA, problems.

My 'youngest' is a T 3X Lite SS 7 RM I bought in 2018 so it's only had 2 seasons with me and starting it's 3rd.

TO DATE, not one, single, solitary problem shocked

Ho hum...guess who is in the 'minority' ?

NOT US !

Jerry

Same here and for a rifle that weighs 6.2 lbs one of the softest recoiling rifles I own.
Yeah OEH

I think the Lite models recoil pretty soft or very manageable.

I’ve shot some “sacred cows” that kicked like the DEVIL

Jerry
Some of them are slow. With three 6.5 Creedmoors and one 7mm RM, I saw triple digit FPS difference when compared apples/apples (same barrel length, same ammo) to another gun.
: So what do you NOT like about your T3x?

It won't reproduce. grin
Originally Posted by Fotis

It won't reproduce. grin

It just might if you crossed a T 3 with a manbun! laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh laugh

Thanks Fotis for opening the door.

Jerry, I said that.
LMAO
Not enough shooting during load development or need to upgrade trigger. T3X lite 30/06 shot a .224 center to center group.
The fact that it isn’t a 6mm creedmoor-
Originally Posted by jlink280
Not enough shooting during load development or need to upgrade trigger. T3X lite 30/06 shot a .224 center to center group.

I have a 0.163” with Red Death, one of my Tikka 7mm-08s.

P
Originally Posted by Fotis

It won't reproduce. grin

Winning post.
I'm late to the party, but I do not like their recoil lug. I would prefer a M700 or M70 style.

I definitely do not like the parent company.

All in all, very good rifles. I own a couple; Super Lite 270 Win and a 6.5CM from Mountain Tactical when they were doing the painted stocks; beautiful rifle.
Originally Posted by Wesley2
The fact that it isn’t a 6mm creedmoor-

That’d be a doozy....
A Tikka thread like this needs more pics!!!!! Show em !
The fact, if I miss a shot on game....I cant blame the accuracy of the rifle, only the operator smile
Originally Posted by DrDeath

Ok, you made me get up out of the floor. My "Chiropractor": grin

Here are just a few Tikka pix to illustrate what I don't like about them.

This one was shot, in 2007 before I took pix of deer with rifle, on the run and flipped, landing feet up !!
Tikka T3 Lite SS 270 Win

This one was 2016 T 3 Lite SS 270

< In 2017 I used my 284 W in M 98 >

This one was 2018 T3X Lite SS 7 RM

This was 2018 also T3X Lite SS 7 RM

This was < *FIRST *> one 2018 with T3X Lite SS 7 RM

This one 2019 T3X Lite SS 7 RM

I don't like NOT shooting twice or 3 times at each deer with a Tikka smirk (sarcasm) grin

Jerry

The 3-position safety and bolt lock SUCKS. When the the safety is on, it could easily be bumped to fire. I hate that about mine
Originally Posted by Mach3
The 3-position safety and bolt lock SUCKS. When the the safety is on, it could easily be bumped to fire. I hate that about mine

Reminds me of an X member here. He complained the 3 position safety cost him shots on deer because he
pushed the safety forward, once, and nothing happened. LOL LOL LOL

I told him the rifles are not guaranteed against operator error.

Jerry
Originally Posted by jstamper
Some of them are slow. With three 6.5 Creedmoors and one 7mm RM, I saw triple digit FPS difference when compared apples/apples (same barrel length, same ammo) to another gun.

Originally Posted by jstamper

I’ve had the same Experience. Although very accurate, my daughters Hunter in 6.5 creedmoor is about 100 fps to 150 fps slower than my other rifles with same load. The animals we’ve shot haven’t been able to tell a difference.
Jerry....I like the pic of the .270 Win neck shot 👍..what bullet?......Hb
Originally Posted by DrDeath

Ok, you made me get up out of the floor. My "Chiropractor": grin

Here are just a few Tikka pix to illustrate what I don't like about them.

This one was shot, in 2007 before I took pix of deer with rifle, on the run and flipped, landing feet up !!
Tikka T3 Lite SS 270 Win

This one was 2016 T 3 Lite SS 270

< In 2017 I used my 284 W in M 98 >

This one was 2018 T3X Lite SS 7 RM

This was 2018 also T3X Lite SS 7 RM

This was < *FIRST *> one 2018 with T3X Lite SS 7 RM

This one 2019 T3X Lite SS 7 RM

I don't like NOT shooting twice or 3 times at each deer with a Tikka smirk (sarcasm) grin

Jerry

Are all of S. AR deer? I k is all of my family in AR that hunts are in the woods this weekend.
I only have 3 tikkas. A fast twist 223 and a fast twist 22-250 and a 270... the 270 just shot a 3 shot group well under .5 inch.

But on a serious question, what replacement stock options are there really.
My varmint rifles could use some new hardware...
Not a big fan of the plastic magazine. Mine wears a one of a kind Brown Pounder

Attached picture thumbnail301.jpg
Attached picture thumbnail300.jpg
Just got my stainless CTR .223. Nice metal 10 round mags and very accurate.

Funny

And true.

Forgot one thing, outfitting a T3X Lite with a can is not straightforward.
Originally Posted by VaHillbilly
Jerry....I like the pic of the .270 Win neck shot 👍..what bullet?......Hb

Old stock 130 PSPCL, Rem. I bought a few K when Midway had them on sale.

I also bought a few K 100 6mm PSPCL as well.

NO bullet Failures.

Thanks

Jerry
Originally Posted by Hudge

Jerry

Are all of S. AR deer? I k is all of my family in AR that hunts are in the woods this weekend.

Yes, all are 'southern' Ark. From a few miles S of Little Rock to South Central Ark, above Fordyce.

FINALLY, our modern gun season opened yesterday and runs for a while. Wheww, been a long time.

Jerry

Funny

And true.

All I can say is a RAR can not shoot any better than my 2 Tikkas.

Jerry
How can I convert a T3X Battue to take the CTR / Arctic mags??? Is it doable ??
Experts?...

Don’t tell my brother. He’s got cans on three Tikkas.

P
Am thinking of a stainless .308 and dont know diddly about these rifles.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller

Don’t tell my brother. He’s got cans on three Tikkas.

P

Pretty soon, I will, too. Unfortunately, it hasn’t been as painless as it was for my RAR-P.
© 24hourcampfire