Home
Posted By: johno 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/10/21
Looking at this caliber but not keen on 16" barrel, I believe Howa make a 20" but haven't found one down here.

Would like to hear what others are using and how happy you are

Johno
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/10/21
Started looking, Thinking a Mossberg Patriot and a 20" AR build ???

Curious if the standard 223 AR mags will feed reliably or not,
Don't see any 350 legend specific mags.
Posted By: dod6 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/10/21
223 mags will require some minor modding to work well. You can find 350 Legend specific mags if you look. Might not find 30s, but 5, 10 & 20 round mags are plentiful. I built an 18” AR with a swfa fixed 6x on it and I really enjoy it. It is my hog gun.
Posted By: johno Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/10/21
An AR is only a wet dream down here in any caliber, but us oldies do remember the good old days.

I have heard little on the Mossberg how do they compare with Ruger
Posted By: hikerbum Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/10/21
I dont think the cartridge has staying power long term. Too many new wiz bang cartridges coming out lately. In the next few years some will disappear
Posted By: Pappy348 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/10/21
Only see it as a choice for the states here with straight-wall rules and the couple or three where .223 isn’t allowed for deer but guys want to use ARs. Everywhere else, there are much better choices.

Guess it’s a good pig round too, and low-recoil load for kids.
Posted By: captjohn Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/11/21
Mine is a vintage Weatherby Vanguard rebored by JES. I cannot do plastic clip guns. BTW is dead accurate factory 180 ammo, and a pleasant rifles to shoot, it is my straight wall deer gun for them particular states.
Posted By: Boarmaster123 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/11/21
Originally Posted by captjohn
Mine is a vintage Weatherby Vanguard rebored by JES. I cannot do plastic clip guns. BTW is dead accurate factory 180 ammo, and a pleasant rifles to shoot, it is my straight wall deer gun for them particular states.

What caliber was the vanguard? I got an interest in the caliber for a hunt I do in Ohio every year but not crazy about available rifles offered in it.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/11/21
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Only see it as a choice for the states here with straight-wall rules and the couple or three where .223 isn’t allowed for deer but guys want to use ARs. Everywhere else, there are much better choices.

Guess it’s a good pig round too, and low-recoil load for kids.

Great friend of mine bought one for hunting in Ohio due to the straight wall regs. He thinks it’s the second coming of the 458 Win.
Posted By: SCGunNut Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/11/21
I want one just because I'm a .35 nut in general. I'm probably going to end up with a Henry single shot, as there are no bolt guns for it that interest me. I'd cheerfully kill for a CZ 527 Carbine or Full Stock in it, but I ain't holding my breath...
Posted By: johno Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/11/21
Exactly my thoughts maybe old age but just don't like what's on offer, wonder how the 223 magazine on a CZ 527 carbine would feed the 350 legend round and would COL be ok. Seems like it would be a good conversion and maybe a 20" barrel

Johno
Posted By: doorgunner Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/12/21
Ditch the 350 and look at the 450 Bushmaster, if you’re into to straight walled cased cartridges. The 450 is a much better choice.
Posted By: OldTimeHunter Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/12/21
Th 450 BM is a kicker and won't shoot cast in an AR. If you cant kill a deer with a 350, take up golf.
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I want one just because I'm a .35 nut in general. I'm probably going to end up with a Henry single shot, as there are no bolt guns for it that interest me. I'd cheerfully kill for a CZ 527 Carbine or Full Stock in it, but I ain't holding my breath...

It's not a true .35. It takes .355(9mm size) bullets. I'll pass.
Posted By: clockwork_7mm Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/13/21
Originally Posted by The Happy Kaboomer
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

It's not a true .35. It takes .355(9mm size) bullets. I'll pass.

Winchester says .357 bullets.
Posted By: SLDUCK Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/13/21
No thanks. I have seen poor results in the field. I'll take my 44 rem mag or 444 marlin for straight wall
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/13/21
16" barrel is plenty for getting speed out of them. They are pretty efficient. Mines a 16" AR and the only reason I'd consider a longer barrel is for more dwell time. Mines undergassed with the cheap 145g fmj factory stuff but fine with my loads and other factory ammo.

Bb
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/13/21
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
No thanks. I have seen poor results in the field. I'll take my 44 rem mag or 444 marlin for straight wall

What did shot placement look like and what bullet was being utilized?
I’ve had (and seen) exactly the opposite on deer and hogs.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/13/21
Originally Posted by johno
Exactly my thoughts maybe old age but just don't like what's on offer, wonder how the 223 magazine on a CZ 527 carbine would feed the 350 legend round and would COL be ok. Seems like it would be a good conversion and maybe a 20" barrel

Johno
Probably have to iron out the front ribs in the side of the magazine.
Posted By: johno Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/14/21
Few of us have been kicking my idea around down here, a friend tried the 350 legend round in the CZ 527 7.62x39 magazine they fitted but tight so one would have to iron out that ridge then someone popped up and said try a 300 blackout magazine as it has no ridges

This sounds like a plan, as I live in an isolataed area need some whon has some legend rounds and also a cz blackout to try them in

If anyone to run this test i'd be grateful

Johno
Posted By: rahtreelimbs Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/14/21
The only advantage I see is that the 350 Legend was designed as a straight wall cartridge for states that only allow them in rifles. Other than that it is just trendy.
Posted By: boatboy Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/14/21
Legend popular here and of course those that killed a deer with it rave about it

Myself and Guy57 bought them before we thought about the dia

Guy had some 358 150s and we sent them to my buddy in CA he sized them to 355. Guy is still working on loads
Last week he started to tell me about one it was not impressive and it was back to the drawing board

But I am sure he will get it nailed down
We bought a couple cheap Mossbergs we will see how it goes
Hank

But at this time I agree with previous posts about the 450 being a better choice I love mine but time will tell
Posted By: Hancock27 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/14/21
Been looking for a "cheap" Mossberg 350.
Friend has one in 243 - the 100 ATR model, predecessor to the Patriot.
I just want one, No need for straight wall here.
Posted By: Mauser06 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/14/21
Debated one....and realized it was .355...hard pass. Very limited on bullet choices. Especially good hunting bullets. Nearly everything on the market is made for somewhere around 1200fps.

I ran into that with the 450 Bushmaster. But there are ample choices of good bullets in .452" I'm actually glad the bushy is .452 not .458 as the .458s are mostly designed around much heavier rounds and wouldn't work as well on white tails and such.

If the 350 keeps around, you might see more/better bullets around. Tough times for a new round to be trying to grow roots.

I started hunting Ohio last year. I don't hunt in a way I feel limited by a ML or shotgun or straight wall. Last year I killed my buck with an inline. Only building a bushy because I had most of the parts collecting dust so why not.
Posted By: WMR Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/14/21
Last fall I saw ammo for the 350 lots of places, while the other shelves were empty. These days that would be reason enough to buy. Not sure what the ammo situation is now for the 350.
Posted By: Dave_in_WV Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/14/21
A young lady hunting out of our camp took two deer last season with a bolt cation 350 Legend. It did a good job with both quick kills. The range was under 100 yards.
Posted By: Smilner01 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/16/21
I have a ruger ranch rifle in 350 legend that takes the AR style mags. While the rifle is not something to write home about aesthetically, it is accurate way beyond its price. I love shooting my suppressed .38spl rifle and fell into the legend with a case of ammo for the right price. It’s no 500yd round for sure, but inside of say 200yds or so dead is dead.
Posted By: KenMi Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/16/21
Maker bullets makes all copper tipped expanding bullets for it.
Winchester also introduced a copper bullet factory load.

I load the 150 TREX Maker bullet.

The other factory bullets are not very good
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/16/21
I’m planning to load some Makers for bear this year. For deer, I can’t see anything to be gained over basic fusions.

I think it will hang on because of a handful of Midwestern states that allow for specific straight-wall cartridges for deer. I think there are better cartridges for deer generally, if one had those choices. For me, the 350 is a about a 150-yd deer cartridge.

That said, it is a very pleasant one to shoot and in my limited experience, accurate too. Kind of a “357 Mag Long”.

Instead of the flurry of AR-types coming out in it, I’d like to see a more traditional semi-auto/pump ala the REM 760/7600’s become available. I’m not holding my breath.
Posted By: NH K9 Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/19/21
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Instead of the flurry of AR-types coming out in it, I’d like to see a more traditional semi-auto/pump ala the REM 760/7600’s become available. I’m not holding my breath.

Agreed
Posted By: SLDUCK Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/19/21
5im with you george on having a different platform besides an ar 15 platform which I hate and a bolt gun. I guess I'll keep shooting my ruger 44 carbine. 444 marlin or 44 rem mag 336
Posted By: johno Re: 350 Legend Anyone? - 03/24/21
Was anyone able to check if the 350 legend round fitted the CZ 527 300 blackout? I live in an isolated rural area and don't have access to test this out I would be grateful if someone could check for me

Johno
© 24hourcampfire