Home
Posted By: CBB15 Win Mod 70 classic magnum 2 down - 07/11/21
What options do I have to get a 3rd down without a magazine?
My spring has the limiter fold and I believe I could simply swap it out for a regular spring and tune. Will it feed correctly? Any issues? Better option?

300wm
Do you mean internal magazine or DBM?
I assume if you mean the internal magazine, with hinged floor plate, you would have to change the spring and the follower.
I believe it would be the follower limiting the third round down, not the spring.
Need more info.

Cheers.
NM …
Who modified it? It would have held 3 down from the factory.
Call/go online to midwestgunworks.com and order the correct spring and follower for your rifle, just ordered a couple spares for my 375 H&H length mag action M-70 Winchester Classic that's now a 458 WM.
I have only owned two LH Win M70 rifles chambered for 7 RM / 300H&H / 375H&H. Both held three rounds down with factory bottom metal.

When converting from 7RM to H&H, I did have to tinker with several different followers to get the feeding right and reliable. But, they always held three down

Lee Christensen (Redneck here on 24HCF) would be an excellent resource if you continue to have issues.
Originally Posted by CBB15
What options do I have to get a 3rd down without a magazine?
My spring has the limiter fold and I believe I could simply swap it out for a regular spring and tune. Will it feed correctly? Any issues? Better option?

300wm
Change the spring to a standard -06 style and you'll be golden... It might need a bit of tweaking to get the feeding right, but I'd bet that that will be minor, if needed at all... And Midwest Gun Works does have the spring..
I've never heard of one of these only holding two down. My experience with .338s, .375s, and a 7mm rebarreled to .416 Taylor has all been three down.

Now a Savage .300 wsm, that thing only holds two in the mag. One of the reasons it sits alone and scopeless these days.
It is a 6 digit classic stainless set win a McMillan hunters edge with a 1-piece PTG bottom metal. Factory spring and plastic follower.
Originally Posted by CBB15
It is a 6 digit classic stainless set win a McMillan hunters edge with a 1-piece PTG bottom metal. Factory spring and plastic follower.

Is your bottom metal sitting below flush in the McMillan stock? If so try shimming it up to level with the stock and that might fix it.

Rex
Originally Posted by pabucktail
I've never heard of one of these only holding two down. My experience with .338s, .375s, and a 7mm rebarreled to .416 Taylor has all been three down.

Now a Savage .300 wsm, that thing only holds two in the mag. One of the reasons it sits alone and scopeless these days.

Enuff said.
© 24hourcampfire